Bono to appear on Howard Stern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brooklyn Mike said:
Sirius gives a free 30 day trial. Takes 2 minutes to sign up, no credit card needed. You can listen on demand.

When would the on demand be available? Is it right away or in a few days?

The video for this link ends at 1 hour 13 minutes.

Part 2 is unavailable at the moment.

Part 3 works though

I updated the link in my post to the one with the complete show. I think I copied the Part 1 link originally. I noticed you’ll get the ‘unavailable at the moment’ error if you try playing through the web. But plays fine with the YouTube app.

Great interview on Stern show today. Really enjoyed the bit about Streets where Edge plays a bit of the intro on the acoustic guitar.
Interview was way too short though.
Was surprised at what Stern knew to ask about (Bono's story about his father) and what he obviously did not know too (the existence of R&H or anything post-AB; although they ran out of time).
Fantastic version of SBS. They also did a bit of TBT and GOOYOW, but IMO GOOYOW was a mess.

I'm about 40 minutes in, but I just wanted to say this is one of their best interviews (maybe the best). Just loving the rapport between Stern and Bono + Edge.

Stem: So before your first album, everyone was telling you, "You suck-"
Bono: When did that stop?

lol

EDIT: oh man, I'm loving the WTSHNN convo

Last edited:
That was fantastic. I so much prefer this Bono over Showman Bono.
And I thought Stern wasn't a fan? He certainly seemed like he was.

That was fantastic. I so much prefer this Bono over Showman Bono.
And I thought Stern wasn't a fan? He certainly seemed like he was.
Not sure of the legitimacy of this, but I read somewhere that he was kinda pissed Bono wouldn't come on his show back in the early 90s. Again, no idea if that's true, but what *is* true is that this is one of their best interviews. Very professional ;p It's pretty long, but I really wish there was more hsh

Last edited:
I'm a huge Howard Stern fan. He hates everyone and attacks anyone who wasn't on his show... back in the 80s that was everyone, then a few showed up in 90s and now today he's become more mainstream Howard and big stars showed up. He hated Sandler, now their friends. Fought with Rosie, same deal. Could go on and on...

As a U2 fan I noticed him making fun of them for like the past 15 years when they were brought up.... nothing too bad -- it's a comedy show... he's himself, but he's playing a character too... the real guy from all accounts is a nice boring rich guy who only comes truly alive on the radio...

Anyway -- he gets research from his staff, so it seems like he knows a lot, but you never quite known if it's his own knowledge or not. However he's very smart and he plays stupid a lot too. Asks questions he knows answers too. The opposite of what Marc Maron does who never does any research and wouldn't even seem to know U2 had 4 members in the band type of guy... Howard knows.

Howard is just a fan of what I call classic rock and mostly terrible music to me. He's old.

Best Interviews he does is for people like ellen or lady gaga -- people his audience probably knows nothing about and makes them seem cool. U2 was already cool, so he didn't have to work at it.

I really enjoyed hearing 2 of my idols - 3 of my idols talk for over an hour. I could listen to them talk for 5 hours.

Is that literally the first time we’ve heard Edge play any part of Streets acoustic? Just hearing him play the intro acoustically was awesome.

Awesome! Howard is my favorite and a great interviewer. I never though I would get the chance to hear him interview Bono and Edge as he isnt really a U2 fan. Fred is a huge fan and also a decent guitar player himself. Anyways great interview, it was nice to hear them interviewed for such an extended period in a loose setting. I would love to hear the entire performances of Sunday Bloody Sunday and GOYOW but they seem to be cut our of the recording in the link above.

Also it was interesting that Bono talked quite a bit about how he doesn't like his voice on many of their classics including with or without you and pride. Crazy! He he says he is a better singer now.

Also it was interesting that Bono talked quite a bit about how he doesn't like his voice on many of their classics including with or without you and pride. Crazy! He he says he is a better singer now.

He is also the same guy who is consciously deciding to wear those glasses, that scruff look that's not a beard but not clean shaven and that hair piece....style, I mean style.

All joking aside, his voice on SOE does sound youthful and quite honestly great on most of the songs but I do believe there is likely some voice "enhancements" taking place.

That was fantastic. Wish they could have stayed even longer so we could have heard them talk post Achtung Baby.

Acoustic Get Out at the end was messy to say the least.

Is that literally the first time we’ve heard Edge play any part of Streets acoustic? Just hearing him play the intro acoustically was awesome.

on the howard stern soundcloud, there are short samples of the songs ( aprox 1mn30) played yesterday,...it's not complete but it's better than nothing,

https://soundcloud.com/howardstern/u2performsgetoutofyourownway

https://soundcloud.com/howardstern/u2performs_sundaybloodysunday

https://soundcloud.com/howardstern/u2performsyourethebestthingaboutme

https://soundcloud.com/howardstern/howu2created_wherethestreetshavenoname

edit: complete interview and songs here : https://player.siriusxm.com/#/player/on-demand

Last edited:
Nice to hear the opening of Streets acoustic.

Weird that Bono can't stand his old '80s vocals. I can see his point about hearing strain in his voice, but I love how big and reaching and explosive his vocals were back then. Maybe he had less control over his voice, but that was kinda the point, wasn't it? The tone of his voice was amazing, too.

Weird that Bono can't stand his old '80s vocals. I can see his point about hearing strain in his voice, but I love how big and reaching and explosive his vocals were back then. Maybe he had less control over his voice, but that was kinda the point, wasn't it? The tone of his voice was amazing, too.

I can understand him hating his voice on some of the early records but I couldn't believe it when he criticised his vocal delivery on WOWY. I wonder if he was being facetious here or if he really meant it.

Na he is just trying to tell himself he is better now hahaha

That is true. But like, the studio version of Pride? That's an untouchable vocal IMO.

Bono's vocals in the '80s were more about passion than technique... You could say that of the whole band's playing, actually.

I can understand him hating his voice on some of the early records but I couldn't believe it when he criticised his vocal delivery on WOWY. I wonder if he was being facetious here or if he really meant it.

I'm sure there's times you can be exaggerating a little or a bit self-conscious, but most musicians will listen back on material they recorded and always find things to be nit-picky about.

Back
Top Bottom