Bono: our most complete and radical album yet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought Bono said of HTDAAB that it had a lot of good songs, but it didn't flow properly for some reason... and therefore was not complete in that aspect.

That was long after release though. The quote I'm thinking of was probably from 2004/2005.

Is it just me or does that whole thing come across like he was drunk when he wrote it?

No way. The writing is brilliant!

If in fact a glass or two of wine allowed his thoughts to paper, then I'm headed to the liquor store!

The quote is about the new album. That doesn't belong here?

Of course does the quote belong here, I just meant that the article, or better: Bono's letter was mainly about the BOY album, so I feel the post would have fit better into the main forum, it's not really about the new album. Besides, the "our most radical album yet" quote is almost exactly the same that he said at the U2:3D premiere in Dublin when asked by reporters about the new album, that was half a year ago.

I think it's a beautiful, emotional and personal letter, just Bono's typical style, which I like very much.

Bohemia is more attractive than suburbia but maybe you don’t live there, maybe you live on a street
which is like any other street where the opera that goes on behind parted curtains is more than enough…..It was briefly for U2.

:love: the man has the most beautiful way with words - he even makes my suburbia sound romantic :cute:

What are the last 2 albums duds in comparison to?

I know as well as anybody else if somebody such as Coldplay put those albums out that they would be considered great albums on this forum and to be honest the double standard is a bunch of crap.

It started long before the last 2 albums, its happened on every album since the Internet was publically available on a world wide basis. People were saying the same bullshit about Zooropa, Passengers and POP, it hasnt changed any. I guess it is a good sign if people are critical about the music but still keep coming back for more though.

I challenge anybody that doesnt like the new album and didnt like the last 2 albums to go away and never listen to U2 again. I know that wont happen though. Youlle just come back and say more of the same without giving the new album a fair listen.

Yes lets get this straight....U2 does sound like U2....is this a bad thing? Some people make it sound like it is on this forum.

Well said,if you dont like the last 2 albums dont listen to them. But dont come on here and ram your opinions down everybody's throat. Like Yahweh saidd if coldplay or snow patrol (who are the most boring band on the planet!) had put they albums out you would all be falling over yourselves to praise them. Stop taking the morale high ground when it comes to U2 and get over yourselves!

Well said,if you dont like the last 2 albums dont listen to them. But dont come on here and ram your opinions down everybody's throat. Like Yahweh saidd if coldplay or snow patrol (who are the most boring band on the planet!) had put they albums out you would all be falling over yourselves to praise them. Stop taking the morale high ground when it comes to U2 and get over yourselves!

People here have every right to express their opinion about the last two albums. It is good to be critical of an artist. Behind it all, those people just want the best from the band and their music. Everyone is hoping for this new album to be great. Calm down a little. Criticism is a good thing.

People here have every right to express their opinion about the last two albums. It is good to be critical of an artist. Behind it all, those people just want the best from the band and their music. Everyone is hoping for this new album to be great. Calm down a little. Criticism is a good thing.

Yeah suppose your right,i just dont understand why the keep slagging them off. There is far worse out there.

Yeah suppose your right,i just dont understand why the keep slagging them off. There is far worse out there.

it's because U2 is so great...they've set such high standards for themselves that so many people now naturally judge everything they do based on these standards.... I think it's sorta unfair...but then again...it sort of makes sense after staying relevant and great for over 30+ years :shrug:

If the standard is JT and AB, of course people will be dissapointed. I think any album should be compared to its immediate predecessor.

i think it's hilarious that bono did this, and it's written in such a style that only he could pull off... only shows that he's still a character. personally, i don't remember bono ever calling 'bomb' the most complete and radical album. i do remember him saying that the edge was on fire though:D

if lanois, eno, lillywhite, and seemingly anyone connected to them are saying that this is truly the best thing they've heard from them, well my friends we might be in for something special. i do agree with u2 girl in regards to comparing it to JT and AB, because it's only going to fall short. i am of the mindset for this album that if i don't expect anything, i won't be disappointed.

The swell of hyperbole we're getting now need to be either truth or falsity. It could also be that everyone is at the end of making new music, and being so close to it, their vision may be blinded by love for their new work. I seriously dont think one can be objective about one's work unless one has a certain distance from it, which only comes with time. I'm sure they believe in the material - just as I'm sure Bono thought HTDAAB was their best album when he proudly proclaimed so back in 2004.

But I really dont think it's in anyone's interest to get carried away by all the insider comments about how this is their best album ever bla bla bla. It's just gonna set you up for disappointment, because you'll already have these built-in expectations when the album drops. The best time in recent memory that I've had when listening to an album was In Rainbows, because apart from the one pre-album show I attended, I stayed as far away from clips, interviews, etc etc as I could prior to the release, and it worked really well for me. Of course, what helped is that they announced it within 10 days of a release - with U2, I've A. been thirsting for 4 years for their next moves and B. I have a reasonable idea as to when it's coming out, so regardless, anticipation just keeps building every day...

I think alot of people have to much of negative thinking here :( ATYCLB is a realy nice album, it isnt like anything else they have done before. It is just the band and their instruments, the only song that dosnt fit the album is Elevation. I think it is wrong to call it an safe album. On JT/R&H they wanted to be American, on AB/Zooropa they where more experimental, Pop they tried that dance thing a bit. So I think ATYCLB was a vey right thing back then to do. Just let the band be band who likes to play music after all they had done before that.

HTDAAB was a very different album, it was more of a collection of songs, just like Bono said. Maybe the band didnt know where to go back then? They didnt know wich style so it went up to be a collection of different songs album.

New album, well I don't have any expectations for it to sound like AB, why? Because we alrrady got AB, I want something that they havent done before, ofcourse there will be a song wich sounds like another song they done before, they have recorded albums since 1980! :) The more records they have done, the harder it is to make new things that they havent done before. When they did JT and AB they didnt have the huge catalouge of songs they have now. So, they have done the punk, american rock, experimental, dancy, basic and collection songs album. What is left? Psycadelic music, wich also may be some of on the new album. So Im curious, but I don't want and hope for an new AB. I want a new album.

What is the fear of hype anyways?

Can people not make up their own minds?

"Without sounding totally phony," Bono says, "I think this might be our second best -- if not our best -- album. It's up there with Achtung [Baby]. It had to be. You can't live like this and put out a crap album or else people are going to want to shoot you."

When I read this in 2004, I knew he was blowing smoke.
Any artist believes that their newest is the best until it's not new anymore.
What is the inherent purpose of making something you feel to be inferior to your other work? There is none. They are trying to make their best, Bono may believe precisely what he says, it doesn't make him right.

If you swallow the Lillywhite comment and take it with proper perspective, you know there is a very very good chance he's flat wrong.

That doesn't have to be anything negative at all.

What is the fear of hype anyways?

Can people not make up their own minds?

"Without sounding totally phony," Bono says, "I think this might be our second best -- if not our best -- album. It's up there with Achtung [Baby]. It had to be. You can't live like this and put out a crap album or else people are going to want to shoot you."

When I read this in 2004, I knew he was blowing smoke.
Any artist believes that their newest is the best until it's not new anymore.
What is the inherent purpose of making something you feel to be inferior to your other work? There is none. They are trying to make their best, Bono may believe precisely what he says, it doesn't make him right.

If you swallow the Lillywhite comment and take it with proper perspective, you know there is a very very good chance he's flat wrong.

That doesn't have to be anything negative at all.

I understand what you're saying, but by looking at Lillywhite's comment "with proper perspective," you must realize this isn't Bono talking, this is someone who rarely ever says things like this speaking...so there's a little more credibility there, than say, a typical Bono exaggeration....

But lets look at Daniel Lanois' comments too. He calls this record one of "U2's great innovative records." Now, that is saying something. If we look at things in terms of innovation, the discussion becomes less subjective to a degree...Surely, Lanois is very familiar with U2's work, and has to know an innovative record when he hears it....there is less of a chance Lanois was blinded by any sort of pre-album excitement that a new album creates in the early stages. Did Lanois ever call ATYCLB "innovative" or one of "U2's great innovative records" ? I seriously doubt it.

I understand what you're saying, but by looking at Lillywhite's comment "with proper perspective," you must realize this isn't Bono talking, this is someone who rarely ever says things like this speaking...so there's a little more credibility there, than say, a typical Bono exaggeration....

But lets look at Daniel Lanois' comments too. He calls this record one of "U2's great innovative records." Now, that is saying something. If we look at things in terms of innovation, the discussion becomes less subjective to a degree...Surely, Lanois is very familiar with U2's work, and has to know an innovative record when he hears it....there is less of a chance Lanois was blinded by any sort of pre-album excitement that a new album creates in the early stages. Did Lanois ever call ATYCLB "innovative" or one of "U2's great innovative records" ? I seriously doubt it.
Edge was the one who did say before ATYCLB was released that there was a lot of innovation in songwriting and new sounds. It may have been subtle in the case of ATYCLB, but he was right.

The swell of hyperbole we're getting now need to be either truth or falsity. It could also be that everyone is at the end of making new music, and being so close to it, their vision may be blinded by love for their new work. I seriously dont think one can be objective about one's work unless one has a certain distance from it, which only comes with time. I'm sure they believe in the material - just as I'm sure Bono thought HTDAAB was their best album when he proudly proclaimed so back in 2004.

But I really dont think it's in anyone's interest to get carried away by all the insider comments about how this is their best album ever bla bla bla. It's just gonna set you up for disappointment, because you'll already have these built-in expectations when the album drops. The best time in recent memory that I've had when listening to an album was In Rainbows, because apart from the one pre-album show I attended, I stayed as far away from clips, interviews, etc etc as I could prior to the release, and it worked really well for me. Of course, what helped is that they announced it within 10 days of a release - with U2, I've A. been thirsting for 4 years for their next moves and B. I have a reasonable idea as to when it's coming out, so regardless, anticipation just keeps building every day...

This is one of the most grown up and thoughtful posts I've read about this topic in awhile. Speaking as a musician, I know that it's usually the thing you've most recently finished that you tend to be the most excited about. Perspective comes later. But that initial heady rush of pride and confidence that accompanies the recording of something brand new is a genuine thing for a creative person and I think it's cynical to suggest that when U2 and Co. say these things prior to a release, that it's just some marketing BS.

But that initial heady rush of pride and confidence that accompanies the recording of something brand new is a genuine thing for a creative person and I think it's cynical to suggest that when U2 and Co. say these things prior to a release, that it's just some marketing BS.

Yeah that's exactly right. When you think of what they must have felt to have it completed and being excited about the work in general, it's not too far of a stretch to how we feel about it finally being in our own hands.

except of course, They created it.. :up::up:
oh my god how great that must feel. :hyper:

I think alot of people have to much of negative thinking here :( ATYCLB is a realy nice album, it isnt like anything else they have done before. It is just the band and their instruments, the only song that dosnt fit the album is Elevation. I think it is wrong to call it an safe album. On JT/R&H they wanted to be American, on AB/Zooropa they where more experimental, Pop they tried that dance thing a bit. So I think ATYCLB was a vey right thing back then to do. Just let the band be band who likes to play music after all they had done before that.

HTDAAB was a very different album, it was more of a collection of songs, just like Bono said. Maybe the band didnt know where to go back then? They didnt know wich style so it went up to be a collection of different songs album.

New album, well I don't have any expectations for it to sound like AB, why? Because we alrrady got AB, I want something that they havent done before, ofcourse there will be a song wich sounds like another song they done before, they have recorded albums since 1980! :) The more records they have done, the harder it is to make new things that they havent done before. When they did JT and AB they didnt have the huge catalouge of songs they have now. So, they have done the punk, american rock, experimental, dancy, basic and collection songs album. What is left? Psycadelic music, wich also may be some of on the new album. So Im curious, but I don't want and hope for an new AB. I want a new album.

I also belive that ATYCLB is not a 'safe' album. I read an interview somewhere that was descibing the sound, didn;t they say it was Edge tring to play the song's off Pop without any guitar effects.

I don't think U2's ever made a 'dud' record. I think they've had better records than others, but to call HTDAAB a dud is a little unfair. There were a few songs on there that I quite enjoyed. With that in mind, I don't think U2 is going to disappoint on this record. If not, you all can castrate my cyber manhood.

ATYCLB isn't safe at all. No one else was making sounds like that in 2000. It's very much more accessible than PoP indeed, yet not safe, and whether you love it or loathe it, it's a pretty on-its-own part of the U2 canon. For better or worse, ATYCLB appears to be a kinda blueprint for 00's U2 (Elec Storm, Windows, HTDAAB), but it's a pretty quality album on it's own.

I have my doubts on whether Bono actually wrote that, they could've tracked his IP address:hmm:.

But seriously, anyone couldve written that, I could have, you, you and maybe the person whos reading my post right now could have wriiten that.

Anyways if Bono wanted to say something he would say in a press conference or and interview or anything that has him actually talking in it.

Who am I to know anyway? Thats my two cents.

:reject:

Back
Top Bottom