Bono interview in Australian Press - Danger Mouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think all this "single in December" talk stems from the offhand remark made in The Age.. which itself was probably a mistaken reference to the Wide Awake in Europe EP

But Wide Awake in Europe comes out in November.

yes, Nov 26..

Bono probably told the Age something to the effect of "...we have a new single hitting the shops by December," meaning the WAIE Single/EP. and they took what was a typical off-the-cuff Bonoism and printed it as fact.

There's no way that can be "the single," as a vinyl-only, limited edition, only-in-US release. In what universe is that the way U2 puts out a single that they want people to hear and buy?

Traditionally, a single is a physical standalone release. It doesn't need to promote anything, though yes, they're typically released to promote albums.

But WAIE is a single. If you'll recall, the Amazon listings for WAIE listed it as a Single/EP

In this case, it's a single for Record Store Day.

Edited to add:
I'm guessing that the Age article, which referenced a December single, was in reference to this and not the Next Big U2 single.

Right - I just can't imagine that Bono talking up "a single in December" is the WAIE, based on its very limited release and format.

Based on the way WAIE is being released, I'm taking Bono's comment to mean "a single in December" is something else entirely. Especially considering there's been no comment at all from U2 about WAIE, so at least so far, it just seems like something they're just doing, rather than talking up all over the place.

Right - I just can't imagine that Bono talking up "a single in December" is the WAIE, based on its very limited release and format.

the annoying thing is that the article makes the single claim without direct quote from the band. it's almost a throwaway sentence "Due early next year, it will be preceded by a single in December."

I guess I'm so cynical that I think it's less likely to be true and more likely they got their facts wrong :wink:

Oh, I thought that was something Bono had actually said! (Not that it makes it more reliable. :wink: )

the annoying thing is that the article makes the single claim without direct quote from the band. it's almost a throwaway sentence "Due early next year, it will be preceded by a single in December."

I guess I'm so cynical that I think it's less likely to be true and more likely they got their facts wrong :wink:
But...but Eduardo Carlos said we were getting a single in December...
:sad:

bono still listens to radio, so if he intended to talk about a single in december he would mean a radio single, no?

my hunch is we get EBW in december, with the b-side being The Fly from Elevation Tour.

bono still listens to radio, so if he intended to talk about a single in december he would mean a radio single, no?

my hunch is we get EBW in december, with the b-side being The Fly from Elevation Tour.

Not to be a party pooper, but why do we even speculate about things like this when we have absolutely no proof? The Fly? Why would you speculate that?

Did you read any of the posts following that? Because your question was answered only two or three posts later.

I think all this "single in December" talk stems from the offhand remark made in The Age.. which itself was probably a mistaken reference to the Wide Awake in Europe EP

They have spent much of this year working on an album produced by Danger Mouse, the alias for American production ace Brian Burton (Gnarls Barkley, Gorillaz).

Due early next year, it will be preceded by a single in December.

"We have about 12 songs with Danger Mouse," Bono says. "It's the album we'll likely put out next because it's just happening so easily."

It's sandwiched between two mentions of the Danger Mouse album; I don't think it's talking about Wide Awake in Europe.

Guys, I think we are letting our optimism get in the way of rationality...
I want to believe that we are getting a single in december as much as anyone here, but...are we really believing that the first single from U2's next album will be released on december just from this...?

"They have spent much of this year working on an album produced by Danger Mouse, the alias for American production ace Brian Burton (Gnarls Barkley, Gorillaz).

Due early next year, it will be preceded by a single in December.

"We have about 12 songs with Danger Mouse," Bono says. "It's the album we'll likely put out next because it's just happening so easily."

It is not mentioned by Bono, but by the writter of the article, and then Bono uses the word "likely"...
I think that if we had a single coming our way in December, there would be no hesitation regarding the release of the album that the single is promoting, even more so if it's Bono...
In fact it would be quite the opposite, if they announce a single they had to announce the next album.
I think that it could happen, but I'm not believing it untill there's something more concrete.
Just my two cents, have a nice day...
:wave:

I still can't envision how Edge's sound will mesh with DM's production.. his records always seem so dry, so crisp. Edge's sound bleeds, splashes, permeates. how will they work together? :hmm:

EDIT: Stay might actually be a good example
I was thinking Love Is Blindness could work as an example. You'd need to tone down the echo a bit, but it's kind of got a "spaghetti Western" sound like what DM uses a lot. Here, for example:
YouTube - Broken Bells - Mongrel Heart
(Skip to 2:12.)

anyway, why are we assuming that U2 is working with Lillywhite and not Danger Mouse in NY? u2log was just guessing about lillywhite's involvement..

they're probably in NY to be near the spidey prodcution..

oh God I hope not!

I guess I wish everyone well that's involved with Spidey, and that it's somewhat of a success for them, but I have absolutely ZERO interest in it. In my eyes, it's a distraction. They could be writing songs tailor-made for ME instead!!! (joke) But I really have no interest. Anyone else feel kinda the same?

Back
Top Bottom