Bono interview in Australian Press - Danger Mouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm, now Edge also says album may be out early next year. I guess the key word Edge uses is "could".

Bono rebounds after back injury - m.NYPOST.com

The Edge says U2 frontman Bono is stronger than ever following a back injury. He told us at Denise Rich's Angel Foundation Ball, "Bono is back in form. His back injury unfortunately forced us to postpone dates on the US tour, but we are performing again, and he is in great shape." The injury doesn't have appeared to have stopped the band's writing, either: "We're working on a new album that could be out early next year." The Edge was honored and pe formed at the ball at Cipriani Wall Street, which raised $3.4 million for cancer re search.

Well they blew it with making "Boots" as the lead single.

I guess my point is, and has always been that they would not have to play to a stunned audience in a stadium if they tailored the tour to the album. Smaller, intimate. Instead they went for bigger, thinking it would make them closer...hence you have to sell seats and the only way to to that is by playing hits, and making hits. I know---I saw it when I was at the Raleigh show, people sitting during most of the NLOTH songs, standing for all of the war horses. I don't know---thats boring to me. What does this mean for any new music? I just wish U2 would stop acting like they have to be liked by everyone in Top 40 radio---does that s%it really even matter anymore?

my contention is and always has been that if they're going to give us a rotating set list where i truly do not know what song is coming next on any given night, then they can play all the arenas, theaters and clubs they want.

if 90% of the setlist is going to be the exact same thing night in and night out, then i'd much prefer it to be accompanied by some sort of multimedia clusterfuck extravaganza.

'cause that's what they always told us... our setlists are static because of, ya know, zoo tv and popmart has a lot of shit going on. so if that shit ain't going on, it just kinda seems lazy.

U2 should name their album "True Lies 2".

12893-620x-THATS_A_BINGO.jpg

good news.

but they fact that they're still using "could" proves the December single rumours bogus.. or at least, premature

not necessarily. even though i think December is a little soon, when you look at the timeline before GOYB was released, we didn't have anything concrete in November 2008. once the hype machine starts, it goes real fast. we went from having a Q Magazine feature at the end of December 2008 (which was the first real concrete piece about the new album that we had received at that point) to GOYB being released to radio in the middle of January.

not necessarily. even though i think December is a little soon, when you look at the timeline before GOYB was released, we didn't have anything concrete in November 2008. once the hype machine starts, it goes real fast. we went from having a Q Magazine feature at the end of December 2008 (which was the first real concrete piece about the new album that we had received at that point) to GOYB being released to radio in the middle of January.

:hmm:

:panic::hyper:

It always amazes me how the 90's get placed on a pedestal around here. It's also my favourite U2 decade but some people really exagerate.

How did I exaggerate? The point I was trying to make (and you can disagree) was that U2 makes its best music when not outwardly trying to create a top 40 single (or at least when they aren't going out into the media saying that's their intention). I used the 90s as an example because I don't remember them speaking at all about singles and top 40 radio. I'm not saying everything they did during that time was sacred.

Hmm, good point, although that Q magazine feature had in depth descriptions of every song off the album (with names and everything), as well as interviews with the bandmates whilst in the studio, mostly about specifically what NLOTH was like, how it was different and new etc - they had a very good idea of what the album was, and could describe it thoroughly, because they had basically completed it.
We haven't had anything that in depth yet for the next album - if we get it in november, then i can imagine we'll get a single in december. Otherwise, the vagueness of this all ("could have an album out", "this album is probably the one we'll have out first", "we have 3 albums we're focusing on, not one" etc) suggests they're not that close to bringing something out... at least, not by december!

well the December 2010 Q Magazine doesn't feature a big U2 story (at least, there's nothing mentioned of it on the cover)..

you can choose to read into that, or not

I'm subconsciously hoping you're kidding
they went from the Salome sessions to Even Better ... and Mysterious Ways + chopping up one monster track into 3 different 4 minute songs
if they'd do that now some on this forum would claim they're top 40 horny, money hungry commercial hacks

The only reason that we know about what was produced during the Salome sessions is because the tapes leaked. Who knows what happens during the typical recording process, although it's always been said that it's typically a lot of jamming. I do agree with you that Mysterious Ways was probably the major attempt on the record to do something commercially viable, but radio was also different than it is now.

Essentially what I'm concerned about is U2 caring about being relevant on top 40 radio in today's time. There's very little music being played on radio these days that's worth anything.

yeah, and there's no guarantee that U2 would use Q magazine as a platform to hype their next album. they could use Rolling Stone or any other online publication out there. again, not saying this will happen next month or anything, but i remember us all sitting on the edge of our seats back in December 2008 and then one day it just appeared.

How did I exaggerate? The point I was trying to make (and you can disagree) was that U2 makes its best music when not outwardly trying to create a top 40 single (or at least when they aren't going out into the media saying that's their intention). I used the 90s as an example because I don't remember them speaking at all about singles and top 40 radio. I'm not saying everything they did during that time was sacred.

So really what it comes down to is that you just don't like them vocalizing their intent. The intent has NEVER changed.

Essentially what I'm concerned about is U2 caring about being relevant on top 40 radio in today's time. There's very little music being played on radio these days that's worth anything.

I feel like it would be hard for them to have a song that is really popular on Top 40 radio, considering the kind of stuff that is played there. It was bad in 2004, but I think it's even worse now (and was last year).

I still can't figure out what made Vertigo so wildly popular in the mainstream...as opposed to some other, better songs of theirs. I was in 10th grade then, and everyone in my class knew that song. It annoyed me that it was all they knew about U2, but they all knew it :huh:
I really thought GOYB was going to be the same, but alas.

The only reason that we know about what was produced during the Salome sessions is because the tapes leaked. Who knows what happens during the typical recording process, although it's always been said that it's typically a lot of jamming. I do agree with you that Mysterious Ways was probably the major attempt on the record to do something commercially viable, but radio was also different than it is now.

When have U2 ever catered to the tastes of the radio at any given time?

Look at their 2 most recent big hit singles.

Beautiful Day stood out in 2000 amidst boy bands, Britney, Christina, Destiny's Child and Eminem.

Vertigo stood out in 2004 amidst the same kind of crap, only add a bit more rap into that mainstream mix.

Bottom line, Vertigo didn't sound like anything else on the radio at the time, and neither did Beautiful Day.

I used the 90s as an example because I don't remember them speaking at all about singles and top 40 radio.

That's probably because back then getting their singles out on the radio was not a problem for U2. They were in their 30s and just had a couple of massive-selling albums at the end of the previous decade. Whereas the situation now is completely different.

I had this dream last night, one that i have had before, that im working out in an aircraft hangar near the flightline and there are aircraft taking off and flying over constantly which creates a lot of noise. Im pretty sure im at an air force base, since thats where i work in reality. Anyway, i heard a loud plane so i went out for a look and there was this large cargo plane flying very fast and he kept turning and circling around the base. Finally his nose dipped and he started to lose altitude, which is when i realized something was wrong. I noticed some of my coworkers had come outside to see what was causing all of this ruckus, and at once, we all noticed this plane was heading towards us. We ran like hell inside the building and before we could make it to the other side of the hangar we heard the impact, which shook us violently and knocked us all to the ground. As soon as we could recover the plane had broken up and pieces of it were flying around the building like a tornado, and flames were shooting up towards the sky. We were in the middle of impact, ground zero of the inferno!

A few of us ran and quickly boarded a medium sized plane and took off quickly away from the chaos, barely missing power lines as our ascent through the shock waves seemed almost impossible. But we made it, and finally we leveled off to float above giant plumes of smoke from below. We were all exhausted at the experience and our harrowing escape. Saddened by the loss of our coworkers, we were still relieved to be among the chosen survivors. We floated towards the pastel sunset where the mountains cut into the sky and the moon wasn't as lonely as you'd think.

I can only imagine this is how the next u2 album is going to be...

Back
Top Bottom