Bono and Edge perform two (old songs) in O2 Dublin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's an article about this in The Star today too, no new information though just reads really badly...

"Edge and Bono were Stick In A Moment of history...they recorded top hit Desire on the spot, Elevating them to world fame" :lol: so badly written

I honestly actually did facepalm after reading that.

I love the Desire version of that show they made in 2000 i can't remember where it was... i cant find the cd that i recorded that show, i wrote the details on the cover...
They played Won't Get Fooled Again, and that was incredible too. That entire show was great. Can someone throw a light on this?

^ You mean the pre-elevation concert in Irving Plaza/NY in December 2000?

I liked the accoustic version of Desire from the Union Chapel gig. Since B&E showed up in O2 and had their guitars with them I suppose we'll get to hear something similar. Bono's voice at Union Chapel was great.

Yeah Right!!!, but all things going well the new album will be uplifting and not all the negative vibes that are going around Ireland at the moment.

don't no where you're sitting but things aren't that negative at all for me right now. u2 album or no u2 album.

Yeah! Irving Plaza! Great show! Bad was awesome, good vocals! I have to find my cd!

I loved all that Pre shows/Elevation vibe. At that time i saw U2 go back to the top. Even their looks was soo cool. The Elevation from Boston DVD was like a little phenomenon over here, everybody was into that show. It was U2 in a natural estate, emotional but not over the top, every little thing was in the right place. Even the sound of the drums was perfect.
Its interesting to discover that ATYCLB works much better live than Bomb after analyzing both some years later.
Anyway i think Breathe will be one of the best live songs of the recent times...

That Union Chapel show i just caught on youtube and never paid much atention, i think i watch it again more carefully this time hehe...

Its interesting to discover that ATYCLB works much better live than Bomb after analyzing both some years later.

Bizarrely (as in for once I agree with you! :wink:) I was just thinking the same thing. I'm off sick at the minute and I watched the Vertigo Chicago show last night followed by the Elevation Boston show this morning - I couldnt help but conclude that the ATYCLB material from Boston and the couple of songs from it played on the Vertigo tour blew the HTDAAB stuff out of the water. Elevation, Beautiful Day, Stuck... Kite, Walk On, New York - all translated brilliantly to the live setting. For me only Love and Peace or Else was up to the same standard - the othe HTDAAB songs were all either note-perfect copies of the album track like Vertigo or COBL or else just sounded a bit "off" like Sometimes You Can't... and Miracle Drug...
I don't know, I really just got the feeling that Elevation was a better show overall than Vertigo. Planning on watching the U2 Go Home live from Slane DVD later on - now THERES a concert worth watching repeatedly!! AND it has an amazing version of Desire too...

^ Chicago is not a good example, the audience comes across as underwhelmed, Bono's voice wasn't great, apparently he was sick, the filming isn't great, either. They shouldn't have shot a concert of the first tour leg for the DVD at all. But to be fair, it has some good stuff on it as well.

I prefer Milan over Chicago and wish they'd relesed the Milan show as a proper concert.

ut of course nothing can beat Slane.

I kinda figured that Chicago wasn't an optimum performance - and the audience were TERRIBLE!! One of the most abiding images is of Bono pouring his heart out in Sometimes You Can't Make it... and all you can see are people making for the exits and milling around with drinks etc. paying absolutely no attention! I'd love to see/hear a better version of the arena show and I second that Milan should have gotten a proper release - it looked to have a bit more of that "Slane" type energy!

VDL is very much in the tradition of a Dubliners type ballad so maybe thats the (tenuous) link?

Bizarrely (as in for once I agree with you! :wink:) I was just thinking the same thing. I'm off sick at the minute and I watched the Vertigo Chicago show last night followed by the Elevation Boston show this morning - I couldnt help but conclude that the ATYCLB material from Boston and the couple of songs from it played on the Vertigo tour blew the HTDAAB stuff out of the water. Elevation, Beautiful Day, Stuck... Kite, Walk On, New York - all translated brilliantly to the live setting. For me only Love and Peace or Else was up to the same standard - the othe HTDAAB songs were all either note-perfect copies of the album track like Vertigo or COBL or else just sounded a bit "off" like Sometimes You Can't... and Miracle Drug...
I don't know, I really just got the feeling that Elevation was a better show overall than Vertigo. Planning on watching the U2 Go Home live from Slane DVD later on - now THERES a concert worth watching repeatedly!! AND it has an amazing version of Desire too...

Yes and No.

Although I agree with you in a sense because I believe the ATYCLB songs were better as a whole on the album and in person....I think the Chicago DVD was a horrible indication of the power of the HTDAAB songs live. I agree with you about Bono seeming "a bit off" all night in that DVD show. It was like he was trying too hard to make the performance something memorable instead of just going out and having fun. Or maybe he was already in the bag because it was his birthday...who knows?

I've heard a number of bootlegs and went to a couple live shows on the Vertigo tour that blew Chicago away. So I think that you might appreciate hearing a quality bootleg from the last tour. I think the Elevation tour as a whole was fantastic, fresh, and well done. In contrast, the Vertigo tour seemed too much of a copy-cat continuation of the last one to completely differentiate itself. The songs were different and so were some of the basics, but it was way too similar to the Elevation tour for my liking, and I think that is the reason why I tend to favor Elevation Tour over Vertigo tour.

They have a real tough job ahead of them if they want to make this next tour something completely different from the previous ones. They've already done excess, they've already done whatever Popmart was, they've already done stripped down, hell...they've already done 3D!!!! Whats next? Virtual Reality? :applaud: Seriously, they got a tough road ahead of them.

Yeah that's the next big discussion/argument I'm looking forward to when the album finally emerges... What have they got up their sleeves for the next tour visually and technically that will raise the bar again? Or will they bother? I agree, Vertigo was treading water a little, particularly the stadium show which was really just a simplified version of Popmart when you get right down to it (plus I really didn't like the two satellite stages - I think I have a weird hatred of symmetry!). It's certainly going to be interesting to see what they come up with this time around...

don't no where you're sitting but things aren't that negative at all for me right now. u2 album or no u2 album.

Maybe not for 'YOU' but look at the news every night, look at the front of todays newspaper Independent etc, look at the ammount of people that are loosing their jobs every day here, look at all the empty building sites. U2 are one of the great things to come out of Ireland so damn right I can't wait for some good news from them.

Ronnie Drew was a legend and not overated as you say.

Yeah that's the next big discussion/argument I'm looking forward to when the album finally emerges... What have they got up their sleeves for the next tour visually and technically that will raise the bar again? Or will they bother? I agree, Vertigo was treading water a little, particularly the stadium show which was really just a simplified version of Popmart when you get right down to it (plus I really didn't like the two satellite stages - I think I have a weird hatred of symmetry!). It's certainly going to be interesting to see what they come up with this time around...

Yeah, thats a great way to put it about the Vertigo Tour; it kind of was a stripped down version of Popmart.

I personally loved Popmart. I thought the visuals and idea was actually more brilliantly thought out and executed then ZooTV, but the message didn't quite come across as clearly as ZooTV. With Vertigo Tour, there really was no message...it was more like "Lets just put up a big light show and huge screens just because we can". I know I might be asking alot of U2 to have a message behind everything, but lets be honest here...thats because they kind of got the fans going down that road for quite some time now, so its not unusual to want to read into things with them.

BTW, I hated the split stage thing on the outdoor Vertigo Tour leg too. It always reminded me of a nose piercing or something a bull would have through his nose. Bad choice. The Ellipse was garbage too. Looked more like a big toilet bowl then an Ellipse.

Can anyone please explain how VDL and Desire fit into a Ronnie Drew tribute?

From what I understand, VDL and Desire were played to mark the opening of the O2 arena, after that Bono paid some form of moving tribute to Ronnie Drew, the songs probably aren't part of the tribute, (those songs wouldn't make sense in that context).

The Ellipse was garbage too. Looked more like a big toilet bowl then an Ellipse.

LOL You're even fussier than I am!!

I agree 100% about Popmart being an even stronger concept than ZooTV, it was quite brilliant from an architectural perspective and the way it gelled with their whole "way of thinking" at the time was superb. Vertigo by comparison had a thown together look and particularly on a bright evening in August in Croke Park the visuals had very little impact. Of course it was still x100 better than what most "stadium" acts have ever produced, just not up to U2s very, very high standard.

VDL would sort-of fit a tribute to Ronnie Drew since as I was saying it's very much in that folk ballad, Dubliners type tradition - Edge will probably say it was Ronnie Drew who insiped him to write it or something (and it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that he actually was an influence since U2 were like magpies at the time). Who knows when it comes to Desire! You could be right that they are two separate things but then when will we get to see the performance!?

Maybe not for 'YOU' but look at the news every night, look at the front of todays newspaper Independent etc, look at the ammount of people that are loosing their jobs every day here, look at all the empty building sites. U2 are one of the great things to come out of Ireland so damn right I can't wait for some good news from them.

Ronnie Drew was a legend and not overated as you say.

Got to agree, anyone who's not feeling the pinch in Ireland at the minute must be very lucky or else in a nice safe public sector job. The economy is a disaster, unemployment is rocketing (just about holding onto my job in architecture at the minute but most of my mates have been made redundant in the past few months). Even on the subject - the O2 is predicted to be the only profitable entertainment venue in Dublin next year - the smaller to medium sized places like Tripod and The Button Factory are really suffering and there's talk of closures already. Times are tough. On the bright side listening to the beach clips, 1 & 4 in particular, never fails to cheer me up!!

Yes and No.

Although I agree with you in a sense because I believe the ATYCLB songs were better as a whole on the album and in person....I think the Chicago DVD was a horrible indication of the power of the HTDAAB songs live. I agree with you about Bono seeming "a bit off" all night in that DVD show. It was like he was trying too hard to make the performance something memorable instead of just going out and having fun. Or maybe he was already in the bag because it was his birthday...who knows?

I've heard a number of bootlegs and went to a couple live shows on the Vertigo tour that blew Chicago away. So I think that you might appreciate hearing a quality bootleg from the last tour. I think the Elevation tour as a whole was fantastic, fresh, and well done. In contrast, the Vertigo tour seemed too much of a copy-cat continuation of the last one to completely differentiate itself. The songs were different and so were some of the basics, but it was way too similar to the Elevation tour for my liking, and I think that is the reason why I tend to favor Elevation Tour over Vertigo tour.

They have a real tough job ahead of them if they want to make this next tour something completely different from the previous ones. They've already done excess, they've already done whatever Popmart was, they've already done stripped down, hell...they've already done 3D!!!! Whats next? Virtual Reality? :applaud: Seriously, they got a tough road ahead of them.

I don't think is the quality of the perfomances alone. I think there is a quality in U2 as a band in tha specific moment (2000) and more important, the songs on that album simply are enhanced in live versions in a way that is dificult to measure. They were rediscovering the rock as a simple form of comunication. Their visual were simple and cool. There is an originality in all that production. The heart, the simplicity, everything as i said before was in the right place, the camera on Bono's glasses. Even he loses the glasses in the right moment to show that even though they are "modern", the sincerity is back.
Then songs like BD, Elevation, Walk on or Kite have a strengh that Bomb can't match even if played to perfection. They became new classics, new era anthems.
I cant put into words, but Elevation has that intrinsic "plus" that Vertigo lacks...
I was not joking, over here this DVD was played everywhere. I mean everywhere. In the country club, in bars, in clubs, parties, weekend barbecues, stores...
There is something special that this tour as Zoo Tv were printed in the my memories, that thing that makes go back to them every now and then.

I was never a big fan of Van Dieman's Land to be quite honest, though I thought Rattle & Hum as a whole was the most soul full album they've ever done. I don't think I'd ever want them to replicate the album again (since they've already done one) but I kind of wish they'd incorporate more of the newer original music, other than the usual suspects (Desire, Angel of Harlem and AIWIY) into their next tour. I'd love to see them include any of the following into their regular nightly setlists: Heartland, Love Rescue Me, Hawkmoon 269, and Silver and Gold.

LOL You're even fussier than I am!!

Vertigo by comparison had a thown together look and particularly on a bright evening in August in Croke Park the visuals had very little impact. Of course it was still x100 better than what most "stadium" acts have ever produced, just not up to U2s very, very high standard.

The croke park gigs were June....

Sorry i just did that to be a arse :D:lol:

R&H movie Desire > album Desire

thats one of the most badass guitar tones i've ever heard. :rockon:

Jesus is my memory going along with everything else!! :wink:
Well that would explain why it was ridiculously bright and the visuals were barely visible alright...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom