Big chance for an opera song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterrrrr

New Yorker
Now when Pavarotti sadly passed away, Bono is very sad. Wich can result that he write a own opera song to honour him, that might be on the next album.

There may also be chances for a Pavarotti tribute concert(Bono may sing Miss Sarajevo) and also a tribute cd and wich also might include a studio version on Miss Sarajevo with only Bono on vocals.

This is only a guess.

Bono already has Miss Sarajevo and Sometimes you can't make it on your own if he wants to do a bit of opera. It could seem pretentious if he was to write something deliberately opera like.

I'm sure Pavarotti will be remembered in the liner notes on the next album.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Wow, someone dies not 48 hours ago, and some are already hoping for new U2 material out of it...

I can see how you understand that, but I listend to the interview on BBC with Bono and you realy could hear how much he looked up to Pavarotti. How much the song Miss Sarajevo mean to him.

And I just got the thougth around this. And If Bono get sad/happy emotions, well then he often write amazing songs.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Wow, someone dies not 48 hours ago, and some are already hoping for new U2 material out of it...

Situations like that can arouse some sturn emotions, strike while the iron is hot

Relax, it's normal to find black humour in such a morbid topic.
The man was buried 1 hour ago...

Peterrrrr said:

Still don't get why people have to be so rude on this forum. I have always had a picture of that U2 fans always been kind and respectfull to each other. But the more I read this kind of posts the more this picture dispapears.

i hate to break it to you but u2 fans + internet = rude. But you can also substitute u2 fans w/ just about anything and still get the same result (+internet=rude). So i guess what im saying is that the internet emboldens people to make highly sarcastic and often rude posts no matter what the subject is. Part of that is lack of comprehension and perception of written word, part frustration on either end of being forced to convey their point with written word versus spoken words w/ vocal inflection and eye contact, and part mentality that one can say anything they want w/o reprecussion or conflict because, afterall, it's only the internet.

These are just a few things i have observed over the years.

But dont let it get you down my friend.

:cool:

Mrs. Garrison said:
i hate to break it to you but u2 fans + internet = rude. But you can also substitute u2 fans w/ just about anything and still get the same result (+internet=rude). So i guess what im saying is that the internet emboldens people to make highly sarcastic and often rude posts no matter what the subject is. Part of that is lack of comprehension and perception of written word, part frustration on either end of being forced to convey their point with written word versus spoken words w/ vocal inflection and eye contact, and part mentality that one can say anything they want w/o reprecussion or conflict because, afterall, it's only the internet.

truth. :yes:

Originally posted by Mrs. Garrison
mentality that one can say anything they want w/o reprecussion or conflict because, afterall, it's only the internet.

Tell that to the guy in Texas or somewhere who drove across the country to set somebody's trailer on fire cos he insulted him on a message board. :lol:

Seriously Peterrrrr, people ARE rude. More so on the internet because one can get away with it easier. I don't know where you got that picture that U2 fans were always kind and respectful. U2 fans are like fans of any other band! lol.

Mrs. Garrison said:

These are just a few things i have observed over the years.

But dont let it get you down my friend.

:cool:

eloquently and insightfully stated.

all this talk of Pavarotti and opera leads me to believe that U2 could pull off something akin to an opera... i think i was too young to understand what Tho Who had in mind when they released their rock opera, but it is starting to make sense to me...

talk of the Spiderman musical seems to be leaning in that direction already though, so maybe their plate's already full in that direction...

Zootlesque said:

I don't know where you got that picture that U2 fans were always kind and respectful. U2 fans are like fans of any other band! lol.

This seems more true now, unfortunately, than it did in the early days of U2 forums, at least in my experience.

In person, I think there is a difference between U2 fans and fans of many other bands, albeit less so as time goes on and U2 are more ubuiqitous.

honestly, anything about new material for next u2 album is the last of my thoughts.

Today, it's a day for memories, nothing more

Lara_Croft said:
honestly, anything about new material for next u2 album is the last of my thoughts.

Today, it's a day for memories, nothing more

condolences to you, i know the impact of Pavarotti's passing must be huge. I don't think anyone here is downplaying his memory, though we have a different and less familiar perspective of him probably, as non-Italians.

Peterrrrr said:
This thread reminds me of:

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=167123

Still don't get why people have to be so rude on this forum. I have always had a picture of that U2 fans always been kind and respectfull to each other. But the more I read this kind of posts the more this picture dispapears.

I think it's kinda obscure rule here.......................

When you write something that other people find as bullshit, then you have no chance. I'm used to ignore threads I don't find interesting, other MUST give their high opinions, always, it makes cool, you know:cool: Pay patience

In an anonymous internet forum, no matter to whom or what it may be dedicated, it is always easier to be rude and direct and write down things without thinking too much about them, other than in "real" human contact. That's sad but true. Freedom of opinion is one thing and is important, but there is a fine line between that and personally attacking people because you don't agree with what they are saying. Saying "You're an idiot and you're wrong about that" is much easier than to counter an argument with another argument. If you're part of an internet community, you should get used to it or stay away from it.

By the way, I wish you wouldn't generalize here, there are a lot of U2 fans that are very nice and not rude, they show the solidarity and respect towards each other that I always feel the band would be proud to see displayed amongst their fans.

last unicorn said:

By the way, I wish you wouldn't generalize here, there are a lot of U2 fans that are very nice and not rude, they show the solidarity and respect towards each other that I always feel the band would be proud to see displayed amongst their fans.

I don't generalize :) It is more nice people around this forum then the rude ones :)

last unicorn said:
In an anonymous internet forum, no matter to whom or what it may be dedicated, it is always easier to be rude and direct and write down things without thinking too much about them, other than in "real" human contact. That's sad but true. Freedom of opinion is one thing and is important, but there is a fine line between that and personally attacking people because you don't agree with what they are saying. Saying "You're an idiot and you're wrong about that" is much easier than to counter an argument with another argument. If you're part of an internet community, you should get used to it or stay away from it.

This is a great post with many good points. Its worth remembering that around the time that the Australian leg of Vertigo was cancelled, Bono went online to check in with what the fans were saying, he said he was amazed at how kind and considerate people were, that they didn't care about the tour they just wanted to know whether everything was going to be OK.

Of course anything that has as huge a fanbase as U2 is going to attract all kinds of people, and some you're bound to like more than others, some you won't agree with at all, but thats the nature of the beast. Rudeness on internet forums is not exclusive to U2 fans it happens with all of them.

I've been on the boards of other rock bands and things become very abusive and hostile very quickly indeed and it is very unpleasent to watch and I'm glad we're not like that over here. People in general are very kind and respectful of each other, willing to help out where they can and like Last Unicorn says I think the band would be proud, Edge in particular thinks very highly of the fans.

I wouldn't let the actions or words of one or two spoil it for you.

vaz02 said:

Situations like that can arouse some sturn emotions, strike while the iron is hot

And I have no problem with that. If this thread had been, I wonder if we'll get a song about, or dedicated to, or an opera song I would have found it to be respectful.

But then:

There may also be chances for a Pavarotti tribute concert(Bono may sing Miss Sarajevo) and also a tribute cd and wich also might include a studio version on Miss Sarajevo with only Bono on vocals.

It just sounded like, oh goody, I hope we get more U2 out of this...

The man wasn't even buried, when this thread was started and we were already talking about getting CDs out of it, I just think there should be some decorum.

Edited to add:

Let's put it this way, if Bono were to pass away, and someone found a thread on a Green Day forum the next day talking about how they hope Green Day will do a tribute concert and hopefully they'll get a version of just Billy Joe vocals on Saints, this board would find that pretty disrespectful. Especially if he hasn't even been placed in the ground yet.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

The man wasn't even buried, when this thread was started and we were already talking about getting CDs out of it, I just think there should be some decorum.

Edited to add:

Let's put it this way, if Bono were to pass away, and someone found a thread on a Green Day forum the next day talking about how they hope Green Day will do a tribute concert and hopefully they'll get a version of just Billy Joe vocals on Saints, this board would find that pretty disrespectful. Especially if he hasn't even been placed in the ground yet.

I never wrote that I hope about this, I wrote that the may be a chance. Even if I had wrote it one month after this, I probaly had got the same reaction.

I see no problem in u2 making cd's out of this as long as the money goes to charity.

Back
Top Bottom