Best of and singles review thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:sad:

Ah, I really don't care what some pinhead (who obviously can't stand U2) has to say about this song. I quite like it, and I wasn't sure I'd really would.

It's not the greatest song, but it's not boring or stale. It's got a nice beat, and you can dance to it...:wink: 7 1/2 (out of 10)

Slapnutz said:
Thought it would cool if we gathered all the media reviews of the new Best of and singles and posted them in one thread.

First reviews of 'The Saints Are Coming' are in, and they ain't very positive.

Mansized

Entertainmentwise

Mate always consider THE SOURCE , 90% of the reviews are a joke .....

Extremely just crap , Lot of reviews like of Bomb and Vertigo Tour DVD , complained more bout the actions of Bono , and his encounters like with bush , than on the band or the music itself

And with this put 3 things on mind

1- Most Critics Suck
2- Most can't stand covers
3- If they do stand U2 , can't GD
4- Like the 1st One , Lot of british guys can't stand the fact "Those Bloody Irish are still somethin "

This Sort of stuff , never forget to put in mind

Music critics are sports writers are the two most worthless and useless jobs on the planet.

I'm not talking about sports writers who write up what happened at a game. I mean those who spout their opinions on who should win or vote on the supposed "best team" as if they really know.

Movie critics are bad, but at least they provide a little synopsis of the movie. In contrast, music critics can't do that (how can one truly describe music?). And while movies are subjective, music is so much more so. Telling me your useless opinions on why you don't like a song is like me telling you why you should breathe the air one part of your bedroom, but not a foot over. It's pointless. So many biases and prejudices come up with music critics that they invalidate their own points.

I used to get worked up a bit over critics, but not now - I don't even waste my time reading them. Even if they adore the song or the band, I don't care. Let me tell myself what's good, thanks. :yes:

Last edited:
doctorwho said:
Music critics are sports writers are the two most worthless and useless jobs on the planet.

I'm not talking about sports writers who write up what happened at a game. I mean those who spout their opinions on who should win or vote on the supposed "best team" as if they really know.

Movie critics are bad, but at least they provide a little synopsis of the movie. In contrast, music critics can't do that (how can one truly describe music?). And while movies are subjective, music is so much more so. Telling me your useless opinions on why you don't like a song is like me telling you why you should breathe the air one part of your bedroom, but not a foot over. It's pointless. So many biases and prejudices come up with music critics that they invalidate their own points.

I used to get worked up a bit over critics, but not now - I don't even waste my time reading them. Even if they adore the song or the band, I don't care. Let me tell myself what's good, thanks. :yes:
Wow, and I thought music and sports journalism could actually be noble professons! I am curious to know, doctorwho, what you make of message boards such as this? Pretty much everyone who writes here is a music critic!

I wonder how much reprimand will be laid upon these music critics if there was unanimous praise for it. I mean let's face it, saints does suck, the critics make a very strong point.

we can poo poo what critics have to say, but the band does pay attention to it

their 2 major career shifts followed their 2 most critically bashed albums (Rattle and Hum and Pop)

coincidence?

Chizip said:
we can poo poo what critics have to say, but the band does pay attention to it

their 2 major career shifts followed their 2 most critically bashed albums (Rattle and Hum and Pop)

coincidence?
This is only a single (a cover and a limited release aswell) and not an album so I dont think they care so much

doctorwho said:

Pretty much Doctor said it all again . heck this is deserving the nick of Doctor

I make one more comp. , This is just like politics , The Music/Film Reviews whatever . Coz just like in Politics , there may be one Politician , who may not be the best person in the world , but still he's attacked by a certain part of media and artists , but why is that ? Coz he deserves all the " love" , No u have to see the backgrounds of these media parts who attack him , just like Music , u have to see the backgrounds .....

Take like this one more example , previous to U2 shows in Brazil , there was this who was supposed to be a bloody Music Critic , and he was like "Nah I think I will go to this show coz of Ferdinand , they are such a Urgent , Rock'n Roll in veins Band , They do play it like it's the last night and all" and "For U2 , well Let's see what they can do , Though I get the feeling they may be shadowed by FF " Though I could say "WTF this guy's talkin bout " , After I discover this same critic was like the president of Trama , The Label of FF in Brazil ........ Nice Huh

doctorwho said:

Everyone Loves Raymond:wink:

doctorwho said:

Naturally. I disagree with this comment. I recently got in this area and started to make music and cultural critic. There is no way this text is not accurated. Critic is a job like any other else where, and critic is not based in a self opinion. At least, it shouldn't be.
But, as in any other working area, there are great and very bad professionals. I'm know that in the music area there are tones of bad critics and people who don't even have the schoolar formation to be critic (but they are), and then we read the barbaries in the newspapers and now, in the internet. But that's our job too: to distinguish a good from a bad critic. The example of this thread, is obviously, a bad one, or at least, and not very professional.

Is true that over the centuries, critics went wrong and sank in the darkness so many masterpieces and other pieces of art that. at the, time were despized and bashed, and, many years later were fished and praised. But that's how things go, and that's how society and the man goes. It's not the critics fault. And, in a society where the public opinion has becoming the most frequent way to react, critic is very necessary. What I lament, is that many non-formed people are still around there throwing away many bullshit and that claim theirselves as critics.

The Slow Loris said:

Wow, and I thought music and sports journalism could actually be noble professons! I am curious to know, doctorwho, what you make of message boards such as this? Pretty much everyone who writes here is a music critic!

You actually thought those were noble professions? How could you? They reek of "those who can't do, bitch". I don't need some guy who's never coached or played a day in his life telling me who the #1 team is or who should win the game - and of course, being wrong.

Likewise, I don't need a person who's never been in a band telling me what "good music" is.

I see so many biases in both of these professions, it almost hurts to read their articles. And let's say some were in a band or did play sports, but neither made it "big time". Now they both have that bitterness expressed. So they hate those who succeed. I've seen more anti-U2 bias just because U2's a success than for any other reason.

As for these message boards, I often avoid threads where people express their opinions on music. But if I do read (or respond) to them, there's a huge difference - people here aren't getting paid! You are just a fan stating what you think of the music. Most may not agree, but that's O.K. You aren't getting published, or put on TV or syndicated to tell your prejudices or biases.

What's worse, is that often these sports writers and music critics have WRONG information (wrong years, wrong albums, wrong songs, etc.). If you are wrong on here, we jump on you for it, and life goes on. :sexywink: But there, how many people now read or hear or see wrong info.?

Anyway, my point is, I don't read reviews of music and I only read about games. I rarely read some sports writers' views.

doctorwho said:

You actually thought those were noble professions? How could you? They reek of "those who can't do, bitch". I don't need some guy who's never coached or played a day in his life telling me who the #1 team is or who should win the game - and of course, being wrong.

Likewise, I don't need a person who's never been in a band telling me what "good music" is.

I see so many biases in both of these professions, it almost hurts to read their articles. And let's say some were in a band or did play sports, but neither made it "big time". Now they both have that bitterness expressed. So they hate those who succeed. I've seen more anti-U2 bias just because U2's a success than for any other reason.

As for these message boards, I often avoid threads where people express their opinions on music. But if I do read (or respond) to them, there's a huge difference - people here aren't getting paid! You are just a fan stating what you think of the music. Most may not agree, but that's O.K. You aren't getting published, or put on TV or syndicated to tell your prejudices or biases.

What's worse, is that often these sports writers and music critics have WRONG information (wrong years, wrong albums, wrong songs, etc.). If you are wrong on here, we jump on you for it, and life goes on. :sexywink: But there, how many people now read or hear or see wrong info.?

Anyway, my point is, I don't read reviews of music and I only read about games. I rarely read some sports writers' views.
I think we need the (professional) journalists in every aspect of our society, whether it be politics, music, sports, art, literature, or what have you. They give us a soundboard, a reflection of the overall impact of said aspects on society, and can help us determine, for ourselves even, what we want to pursue, and how we ourselves view those various aspects.

I suppose there's a distinction to be made between serious journalism and hack writing. Of course, there's far too much of the latter, but a reader with half a mind can figure out which is which. Usually if readers are getting their bad info from suspect sources, it tells you something about the readers as well. :sexywink:

In the end, society needs a soundboard, a platform, and a way of recording viewpoints. Life and art imitate each other, but we need a reflection to show us in what manner, to give us a way of measuring ourselves. Insightful journalism can be very interesting....and certainly gives us food for thought, never a bad thing. It's too bad there's so little of it around in the mainstream....but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist and can't be found.

david said:
I don't see the point in even reviewing a "best of" collection.
Yeah, pointless. Just a bit interesting see what those overworked, underpaid journos think of U2's body of work.

AussieU2fanman said:
I wonder how much reprimand will be laid upon these music critics if there was unanimous praise for it. I mean let's face it, saints does suck, the critics make a very strong point.

Absolutely. If the same critics had drooled over the song everyone here would have been praising the critics. I think he got it about right. Its for a good cause but its crap. Face facts!

vaz02 said:
the sun gave 'the saints ...' 4/5

And this from the same paper that when they run a story about Bono buying a new yacht that cost 8 million everyone here says yeah The Suns a pile of dog crap BUT when they give a good review about a U2 song "Yeah The Suns spot on!". The story I refer was in The Suns sister paper called the News Of the World, but that shouldn't detract from the quality of the paper though.

Zootlesque said:

Could you post a link to confirm this? I have searched the internet and cannot find anything on this.

dude, ive already posted photographic evidence

bonoyacht.jpg

I intend to write a little review for those people undecided (as yet) on whether to purchase.

Mainly this will be to alleviate my own boredom :)

Back
Top Bottom