Best of album Nov 20th discussion Pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back in the 1980s, U2 grew on trees. The music was free. And those streets that have no names? They were paved with gold! :happy:

Earnie Shavers said:

The songs on the 80's disc are remastered, which is fantastic. A song like Unforgettable Fire is just another level of brilliant with that touch up. No other real changes there.The only beef I really have with that compilation is that it gave us the god awful Sweetest Thing. On the 90s disc U2 went into full revisionist history mode. The majority of the songs on there are in some way different, from minor changes (Mysterious Ways) to major (Numb). The Pop songs all have significant reworkings, the pros and cons of which are debated here endlessly. What they've actually done to them isn't bad, but that they did it smells funny. These, and the fact that they flat out ignored two of their singular greatest and best known songs of that decade (The Fly & Lemon), put the 90's Best Of in my Top Five Most F*cked Things U2 Have Ever Done. Oh, that and they included the songs off ATYCLB, another decision I don't understand.

It was a perplexing release. The second disc even moreso.....Where were the B-sides???!?!??!?!!?

I mean, there was enough new or different material on the release to make it worth buying, but A LOT of questionable choices were made.

kellyahern said:
Is there pie in this thread? We were promised pie . . . and turkey.

no pie, no turkey,

but an ample supply of...

wine.gif

i hope when all the details come out the deluxe edition will be the thing that satisfies all of us (mostly)

Earnie Shavers said:

The songs on the 80's disc are remastered, which is fantastic. A song like Unforgettable Fire is just another level of brilliant with that touch up. No other real changes there.The only beef I really have with that compilation is that it gave us the god awful Sweetest Thing. On the 90s disc U2 went into full revisionist history mode. The majority of the songs on there are in some way different, from minor changes (Mysterious Ways) to major (Numb). The Pop songs all have significant reworkings, the pros and cons of which are debated here endlessly. What they've actually done to them isn't bad, but that they did it smells funny. These, and the fact that they flat out ignored two of their singular greatest and best known songs of that decade (The Fly & Lemon), put the 90's Best Of in my Top Five Most F*cked Things U2 Have Ever Done. Oh, that and they included the songs off ATYCLB, another decision I don't understand.

100% agreed. Not more, not less.

I haven't read all the first part of the thread, so forgive me if I repeat comments that have already been posted.

My 2 cents: this record is not marketed to anyone who reads these forums. It is meant for the casual U2 fan. I don't undertstand why anyone would complain or be upset. We knew they signed for 3 Best Ofs and the first 2 did not offer much of anything new to anyone who has collected the singles over the years.

I don't feel lured into buying the album because of the new tracks. I could get them if I wanted. Truthfully, I would buy it without the new tracks, but that is my issue.

Looking forward to Nov. 20th.

whens the last time u2 released something that didnt have a "deluxe" edition? easy way to make more money.

Look what I found

U2.com, Jo Whiley de la BBC et Universal viennent de l'annoncer : un nouveau Best Of de U2 sortira le 20 novembre prochain.

Aucune information sur les chansons présentes sur cette nouvelle compilation ni sur le titre de celle-ci n'ont filtré.
On apprend juste qu'il y aura 16 chansons "classiques" et 2 inédites, The Saints Are Coming, la collaboration avec Green Day, étant l'une d'elles.

Cliquez ici pour lire l'article sur U2.com.

Universal nous confirme qu'il y aura 2 versions du Best Of. Voici le communiqué de presse :

U2 : Definitive Best Of…
Le best of des meilleurs titres de U2 en un seul CD!

Sortie le 20 novembre.
16 classiques de U2 + 2 inédits enregistrés le mois dernier au Studios d’Abbey Road à Londres, et produits par Rick Rubin.

Le single en collaboration avec Green Day, ‘The Saints Are Coming’ sortira en téléchargement le 30 octobre et le 6 novembre en cd single et 45 tours.

Les bénéfices seront directement reversés à Music Rising, une oeuvre caritative travaillant avec des musicians affectés par l’ouragan Katrina.

On peut voir la version live de ce titre (interprétée par les 2 groupes lors de la réouverture du Louisiana Superdome à La Nouvelle Orléans le lundi 25 septembre) sur le site suivant : http://www.rhapsody.com/musicrising.

Il y aura un clip pour ce titre dans la semaine du 16 octobre.
Le track listing complet ainsi que le titre du Best Of feront l’objet d’une autre note d’info. En revanche, il y aura une version deluxe et une version standard.

ALBUM :
Standard version : Un CD avec bonus track
------->Deluxe Version : Un CD et un DVD bonus<---------

SINGLE - U2 AND GREEN DAY
Sortie le 30 Octobre :
The Saints Are Coming - single Studio en téléchargement

Sortie le 6 novembre et disponible pendant une semaine :
The Saints Are Coming - 2 track international cd wallet
The Saints Are Coming - 7 inch single
The Saints Are Coming - single live en téléchargement

If there's really cool stuff on the deluxe edition, this might not be as bad as people think. I mean, it's still kind of a money grab, but the digital box set was waaay more blatant of a money grab.

J_NP said:
Look what I found

U2.com, Jo Whiley de la BBC et Universal viennent de l'annoncer : un nouveau Best Of de U2 sortira le 20 novembre prochain.

Aucune information sur les chansons présentes sur cette nouvelle compilation ni sur le titre de celle-ci n'ont filtré.
On apprend juste qu'il y aura 16 chansons "classiques" et 2 inédites, The Saints Are Coming, la collaboration avec Green Day, étant l'une d'elles.

Cliquez ici pour lire l'article sur U2.com.

Universal nous confirme qu'il y aura 2 versions du Best Of. Voici le communiqué de presse :

U2 : Definitive Best Of…
Le best of des meilleurs titres de U2 en un seul CD!

Sortie le 20 novembre.
16 classiques de U2 + 2 inédits enregistrés le mois dernier au Studios d’Abbey Road à Londres, et produits par Rick Rubin.

Le single en collaboration avec Green Day, ‘The Saints Are Coming’ sortira en téléchargement le 30 octobre et le 6 novembre en cd single et 45 tours.

Les bénéfices seront directement reversés à Music Rising, une oeuvre caritative travaillant avec des musicians affectés par l’ouragan Katrina.

On peut voir la version live de ce titre (interprétée par les 2 groupes lors de la réouverture du Louisiana Superdome à La Nouvelle Orléans le lundi 25 septembre) sur le site suivant : http://www.rhapsody.com/musicrising.

Il y aura un clip pour ce titre dans la semaine du 16 octobre.
Le track listing complet ainsi que le titre du Best Of feront l’objet d’une autre note d’info. En revanche, il y aura une version deluxe et une version standard.

ALBUM :
Standard version : Un CD avec bonus track
------->Deluxe Version : Un CD et un DVD bonus<---------

SINGLE - U2 AND GREEN DAY
Sortie le 30 Octobre :
The Saints Are Coming - single Studio en téléchargement

Sortie le 6 novembre et disponible pendant une semaine :
The Saints Are Coming - 2 track international cd wallet
The Saints Are Coming - 7 inch single
The Saints Are Coming - single live en téléchargement

Still think it'll be a wate of money... The bonus material has got to be really good.

How much would it suck if the new song was a rerecorded version of mercy done with Rick Ruibn

The idea of a definitive Best Of, one disc, with about 18 of U2's best songs at one reasonable price is a great one.

Yeah, it would suit the casual fans only but who gives a shit?

The point I have is, they didn't maximize the bang for the buck, and added two songs are that are clearly intended to lure the old fans to purchase it. You can fit about 80 minutes on a disc these days. That's a good 18 songs (maybe 19). 4 more songs, for a casual fan who buys lots of Best Of's and Greatest Hits is a pretty big deal.

I know people who would consider buying it, if the point is to get more people on the U2 bandwagon, I say fit as many songs as you can on the thing, forget about the new shit and offer it for a good price and it would sell like gangbusters.

That Best of 80-90 was a great success, they did leave off Gloria but mostly they got it pretty damn right. Boiling U2's career down to one disc would sound better with 18 or 19 songs rather than 14. The Beatles 1 sold so well because you got 27 songs for the price of one disc.

It's really not that bad of an idea. Maybe not ideal.
When that tracklisting comes out people will be scratching their heads why they didn't put song X on it with room to spare.
That's just not that smart. Instead we'll have the new re-recorded version of I Will Follow probably. :wink:

Who the hell invented that obligatory and stupid rule that every "Best Of" must contain new tracks? :eyebrow:

Almost EVERY "New" track included on compilations is just filler and end like an unknown single. Sweetest Thing 98, Electrical Storm and The Hands That Built America aren't among the best song they've ever written. Same with many other "New Songs" included on Best Ofs or Greatest Hits.

I bet you the "New Song" on this already rotten "Definitive" Best of will be just another song, no more than that :down:

Back
Top Bottom