Best Of 2000-2010 Tracklist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joaoclaudiobh

The Fly
Hi Folks,

How would the tracklist of this probably album in your opinion?

Follow my tracklist:

CD1

01 - Miracle Drug
02 - Get on Your Boots
03 - Vertigo
04 - Mercy (Studio Version)
05 - City of Blinding Lights
06 - Magnificent
07 - Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own
08 - Breathe
09 - Original of the Species
10 - No Line on the Horizon
11 - I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight
12 - Moment of Surrender
13 - All Because of You
14 - Unknown Caller
15 - Window in the Skies
16 - A Man and a Woman (Bonus Track Japan and UK)

Any Suggestions?

I doubt this will happen, but here's how I'd do it. The bonus disc will certainly never happen, at least not with my track listing:

Best of 2000-2010
1. Elevation
2. Breathe
3. Get On Your Boots
4. Walk On
5. Original of the Species [single version]
6. Window in the Skies [single version]
7. Yahweh
8. Mercy
9. Vertigo
10. Magnificent
11. City of Blinding Lights
12. All Because of You [single version]
13. Sometimes You Can’t Make It on Your Own
14. I’ll Go Crazy if I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight [single version]
15. Moment of Surrender

Best of 2000-2010 B-Sides

1. Soon
2. Get On Your Boots [Justice Remix]
3. Tower of Song
4. Winter
5. Neon Lights
6. Magnificent [RAC Mix]
7. Instant Karma
8. I Believe in Father Christmas
9. I’ll Go Crazy [Fish Out of Water]
10. Vertigo [Temple Bar Mix]
11. Ballad of Ronnie Drew
12. One [w/ Mary J. Blige]
13. Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
14. All Because of You [Killarhurtz Fly Mix]
15. No Line on the Horizon 2

I doubt this will happen, but here's how I'd do it. The bonus disc will certainly never happen, at least not with my track listing:

Best of 2000-2010
1. Elevation
2. Breathe
3. Get On Your Boots
4. Walk On
5. Original of the Species [single version]
6. Window in the Skies [single version]
7. Yahweh
8. Mercy
9. Vertigo
10. Magnificent
11. City of Blinding Lights
12. All Because of You [single version]
13. Sometimes You Can’t Make It on Your Own
14. I’ll Go Crazy if I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight [single version]
15. Moment of Surrender

Best of 2000-2010 B-Sides

1. Soon
2. Get On Your Boots [Justice Remix]
3. Tower of Song
4. Winter
5. Neon Lights
6. Magnificent [RAC Mix]
7. Instant Karma
8. I Believe in Father Christmas
9. I’ll Go Crazy [Fish Out of Water]
10. Vertigo [Temple Bar Mix]
11. Ballad of Ronnie Drew
12. One [w/ Mary J. Blige]
13. Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
14. All Because of You [Killarhurtz Fly Mix]
15. No Line on the Horizon 2

Great B-Side....

How would the tracklist of this probably album in your opinion?

Follow my tracklist:

CD1

01 - Miracle Drug
02 - Get on Your Boots
03 - Vertigo
04 - Mercy (Studio Version)
05 - City of Blinding Lights
06 - Magnificent
07 - Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own
08 - Breathe
09 - Original of the Species
10 - No Line on the Horizon
11 - I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight
12 - Moment of Surrender
13 - All Because of You
14 - Unknown Caller
15 - Window in the Skies
16 - A Man and a Woman (Bonus Track Japan and UK)

Any Suggestions?
First of all, there are far too many tracks for a "greatest hits" based on two measly albums. Bob Dylan rated only a 10-track Greatest Hits after 7 of the greatest LPs of all time, so U2 hardly need 16 tracks to represent some of their more average work in their 4th decade. You've basically collected most tracks from the two albums.

Second, what is "best" about 'Get on Your Boots' that it would merit inclusion? The song both sucks and failed to hit. Therefore, it should never be there.

Third, I consider "I'll Go Crazy-whatever" to be the worst song U2 have ever written or recorded, and I don't think I'm alone in disliking it. Furthermore, it also was sold to the world as a single and flopped. So, what merits it being "best"?

While I personally love "All Because of You", most U2 fans seem to hate it, and even I am not sure it's good enough to be on any "best" compilation. "A Man and a Woman" is another kind of odd choice, given that it's a relatively obscure album track that few U2 fans seem to love.

My personal tracklisting so far would be:

- Vertigo
- City of Blinding Lights
- Yahweh
- Mercy (we need something obscure)
- Window in the Skies (a bit cheeseball, but tuneful cheese)
- The Saints Are Coming
- Magnificent
- White as Snow
- Cedars of Lebanon

That is it. I couldn't stretch it past 9 tracks, and even stuff like "White as Snow" is a bit of a stretch. So, let's wait for another two LPs before we get another "greatest hits".

1. Stuck
2. Elevation
3. IALW
4. Kite
5. COBL
6. Vertigo
7. Sometimes
9. Original
10. All Because
11. Boots
12. Magnificent
13. MOS
14. new song (Mercy)
15. new song (Every Breaking Wave)

That's a pretty weak best of, more like "here are some mediocre songs we put out then, and some people liked some of them, but not many."

Second, what is "best" about 'Get on Your Boots' that it would merit inclusion? The song both sucks and failed to hit.

Third, I consider "I'll Go Crazy-whatever" to be the worst song U2 have ever written or recorded, and I don't think I'm alone in disliking it.

My personal tracklisting so far would be:

- Cedars of Lebanon

Your Argument is Invalid

I would hope they toss 1990-2000 into a trash can and bring in Stuck and Beautiful Day. The main point is commerce and score-keeping.

and I don't think I'm alone in disliking it. Furthermore, it also was sold to the world as a single and flopped. So, what merits it being "best"?

this sentence really bugs me. For one: The First Time. Commercial success is irrelevant to this "Best Of" concept if the band really enjoys a song.

The main point is commerce and score-keeping.

Mobvok qualified what he was saying. The general purpose of best of compilations is to make money, but occasionally the band will slip a song into the comp because they enjoy that particular song, regardless of how it performed commercially. See also: October.

1. Elevation
2. Beautiful Day
3. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
4. Walk On
5. City Of Blinding Lights
6. Vertigo
7. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
8. The Saints Are Coming (Feauturing Green Day)
9. Window In The Skies
10. One (Feauturing Mary J Blige)
11. Get On your boots
12. Magnificent
13. NEW SONG
14. NEW SONG
15. Moment Of Surrender

I included Beautiful day and Stuck to make it more complete even though they were on the last one

Mobvok qualified what he was saying. The general purpose of best of compilations is to make money, but occasionally the band will slip a song into the comp because they enjoy that particular song, regardless of how it performed commercially. See also: October.
Mm. If the album title is "Greatest Hits", it really should just be the biggest "hits", in some definable way. No LP tracks, no flop singles, no obscurities.

On the other hand, if it's called "Best", then there's no criteria whatsoever except for someone's subjective opinions.

Wouldn't it be fascinating to sit in on the conversations a band like U2 had when deciding the tracklisting for something like Best of 1980-1990 or 1990-2000?

Hypothetical sample:
Bono: We've got to include the instrumental intro to 'Zooropa' -- our finest moment!
Larry: F*** that. Stick to the 10 biggest radio singles.
Edge: I really feel that some guitar songs are needed. In fact, I've just written a new tune called "Get On Your Boots", which is gonna be bigger than 'With or Without You'...
Adam: Well, Edge, after we work on it for 7 years, it might be ready for release. As for my opinion... eh, whatever you guys want. I'm outta here...
Bono: And we've certainly got to have some of those Passengers tracks, like "Elvis Ate America". Those were our finest moments!
Edge: Bono, if we had it your way, the CD would be 47 tracks long.
Bono: What about my new song, "Big Girls are Best"? I think this might be our finest moment...

Bono should write a new song called Big Frontmen Are Best. It would be a lot like Fat by Weird Al, only with more French cuisine.

1. Elevation
2. Beautiful Day
3. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
4. Walk On
5. City Of Blinding Lights
6. Vertigo
7. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
8. The Saints Are Coming (Feauturing Green Day)
9. Window In The Skies
10. One (Feauturing Mary J Blige)
11. Get On your boots
12. Magnificent
13. NEW SONG
14. NEW SONG
15. Moment Of Surrender

I included Beautiful day and Stuck to make it more complete even though they were on the last one

I would not spend money on that.

I would not spend money on that.

Interesting. But as a serious U2 fan (and obviously you are), what difference does it make what songs make a compilation album, since you presumably already own all the songs anyway?

I mean, it stands to reason that the only songs any die hard U2 fan would really be interested in on a compilation would be any "new" songs...so what difference does it make what the rest of the track listing looks like? Do you object to this track listing b/c it doesn't have enough "new" material? Perhaps you'd put 13 other songs instead of those Leebonoman96 chose, but again, what difference does it make, as long as there's new material there?

Or are you just saying you wont buy any compilation album, whether it has new songs or not?

Nick66 said:
Interesting. But as a serious U2 fan (and obviously you are), what difference does it make what songs make a compilation album, since you presumably already own all the songs anyway?

U2 hasn't reached that unfortunate period of their career where compilation albums are delegated off to the label and compiled without their supervision. These records are still significant because they only come around once in a while and represent entire decades of their work, complete with new material. Albums that sell as much as those do and serve as introductions to the band have a lot of influence, so their track listing matters a great deal, and is therefore a curiosity to fans.

I mean, it stands to reason that the only songs any die hard U2 fan would really be interested in on a compilation would be any "new" songs...so what difference does it make what the rest of the track listing looks like? Do you object to this track listing b/c it doesn't have enough "new" material? Perhaps you'd put 13 other songs instead of those Leebonoman96 chose, but again, what difference does it make, as long as there's new material there?

Or are you just saying you wont buy any compilation album, whether it has new songs or not?

I just think it's a really bad playlist. 4 songs from ATYCLB? 2 of which were also on the last decade best of? Two other songs born from the last best of? One with Mary J Bilge? It's such a bad album, I'll pirate the new songs.

I just think it's a really bad playlist. 4 songs from ATYCLB? 2 of which were also on the last decade best of? Two other songs born from the last best of? One with Mary J Bilge? It's such a bad album, I'll pirate the new songs.

Right...fair enough.

But if you'd be willing to pirate just the "new" songs b/c you don't like the track listing, why would you ever consider buying it with an alternative track listing...since you presumably already own the songs anyway?

It's not a criticism...just curious about why, unless you're a completist, you'd buy a compilation album based on any track listing, if you're willing to pirate any new songs anyway?

Right...fair enough.

But if you'd be willing to pirate just the "new" songs b/c you don't like the track listing, why would you ever consider buying it with an alternative track listing...since you presumably already own the songs anyway?

It's not a criticism...just curious about why, unless you're a completist, you'd buy a compilation album based on any track listing, if you're willing to pirate any new songs anyway?

Because I think its that bad that it would overpower my completestism! :wink:

What would you spend money on?

Lunch.

Or a better playlist. I'd start by NOT including BD and Stuck. They were on 1990-2000. I would never include Walk On on a best of. It's a crap song. I'm embarrassed that MJB's version of One exists, so that wouldn't make it - and beyond that its not a new song. So any 2000-2010 album would only have 2 and a half albums and a few random tracks to work with. Maybe the 3rd in the series needs to be made up of more than 10 years? Maybe 2000-2015 would have more content to choose from? They claim to be working on like 7 albums at the moment, maybe we'll have 2 more by then?

I don't know if you can really leave Walk On off of it, regardless of what you personally think about the song. It was one of U2's biggest hits this decade, winning the song and record of the year and all that. It's pretty much essential for a greatest hits/best of 00-10.

No chance that One would make it though. That's just silly to include it. You can easily come up with 13-16 tracks, even without BD and Stuck.

I don't know if you can really leave Walk On off of it, regardless of what you personally think about the song. It was one of U2's biggest hits this decade, winning the song and record of the year and all that. It's pretty much essential for a greatest hits/best of 00-10.

No chance that One would make it though. That's just silly to include it. You can easily come up with 13-16 tracks, even without BD and Stuck.

Yeah you CAN but you end up including 4 or 5 songs from each album, which is just silly. I say wait a couple more albums. When Depeche Mode did their best ofs it wasn't cut into neat decades. 2000-2015 would be just fine.

They'll probably include Walk On, but its a shame. They're a much better band than that song.

Back
Top Bottom