Best Of 2000-2010 Tracklist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
digitize said:
To be honest, I don't think U2 ever out as much thought into this as we are.

That's an understatement. There were two songs from 2002 on that compilation.

They put about as much thought into the track selection process as someone who's never heard of U2.

I think they fully realized that THTBA and ES were from 2002. The two songs were never meant to actually fit the title; they're cash-grabbing songs. The ATYCLB songs technically fit the title, but not the compilation in spirit.

Electrical Storm, to me, actually feels a good bit like Achtung Baby and Pop, so, in a way, it seems more in place on the best of than the ATYCLB songs, even if the ATYCLB songs technically fit the title and these don't.

How about this:

1. Vertigo
2. Walk On
3. Magnificent
4. Elevation
5. Sometimes You Can't Make it....
6. City Of Blinding Lights
7. Get On Your Boots
8. Kite
9. NEW SINGLE
10. I'll Go Crazy If I.....
11. All Because of You
12. Breathe
13. Original Of The Species
14. Moment Of Surrender
15. Window In The Skies
Bonus Track - Beautiful Day (Live)

Disc 2

1. NLOTH 2
2. Neon Lights
3. One (feat. MJB) - I personally hate this version BTW
4. Mercy (live)
5. Stuck In A Moment (Live acoustic)
6. The Saints are coming (feat. Green Day)
7. Fast Cars
8. Vertigo (Jacknife Lee mix)
9. Winter
10. Soon
11. Miracle Drug (live)

Having BD as a 'bonus live track' solves the arguement as whether to have it on the album or not.
If they did release this album I have a suspicion that One with MJB and/or Saints are Coming would make it onto disc 1 (probably knocking off Breathe and/or Kite)

Best of 2000-2010 is happening ?

It could be done with three albums they have...BD, Stuck, Walk on, Kite/Vertigo, Sometimes, COBL, OOTS/Boots, Magnificent, U. Caller, MOS/Ground beneath her feet + 1 new song.

Hidden track Mercy.

Swap October for Gloria on 80's Best of, and change SATS for Please on the 90's Best of/swap BD and Stuck for Ground beneath her feet/Stateless. The Fly has no business there; One, MW and EBTTRT are the obvious choices for the casual fan and UTEOTW for that live favourite they like to add on (see: Bad on 80's Best of).

The fact that the band included "The Fly" on the UK editions of the compilation shows that it was at least heavily considered. Plus, they played the hell out of that song on the tour that followed not long after (albeit in a very revised version).

I do agree that their heads were off at the time and that the compilation only reflects what the U2 of 2002 felt like when sifting for a short period of time through the three 90's albums and other recordings of that era. There's no way the band wouldn't say now that "Zooropa" is a better song than "The First Time" for example. Plus, being further removed now from Pop and its perceived lack of commercial success would hardly make them want to remix the tracks from that LP.

Well, we can now add "Ordinary Love" to the list of locks. A Golden Globe win coupled with the band's passion for the track and Mandela (and it's usage as bait since it's a nonalbum track) have assured that it will be on any hypothetical third compilation.

Locks:

- Walk On
- Elevation
- Vertigo
- Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
- City of Blinding Lights
- Moment of Surrender (On Rolling Stone's best songs of the last decade list, loved by both U2 and artists they love such as members of Metallica)
- Ordinary Love

Near Locks:

- In A Little While or Kite (Both are very well liked songs, but I can't see them including both, so technically these are each coin-flips rather than near locks)

- All Because Of You (Its chances dwindle the larger U2's post 1999 output continues to grow)

- Window In The Skies (Well liked by the band and extra bait since it's a nonalbum track)

- Get On Your Boots (Harmed a bit by fan indifference, band could grow tired of it or forget about it)

- Magnificent (Minor radio hit with a lot of fan enthusiasm. Sits in the same slot as ABOY where it's a slightly memorable rocker that could be swallowed up if the band's recent oeuvre continues to widen with each new album)

- I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Well received in some critic circles (see Pop Matters), but the band didn't really perform it much in its non-remixed incarnation)

I'll come back later with some analysis I did in my head of practically the rest of their 2000's material. There's not too many other contenders at this point. If the new album is any good, they could have eleven selections already for a new compilation (the seven locks above + four from the new release). When you factor in another non-album track or two (including songs written specifically for a Best Of 2000-whatever), then you can quickly surmise how tracks like "Kite" or "Magnificent" could end up on the outside looking in.

Anything on 90-00 cannot be including and i wouldnt include the two new songs off u2 18

Id go

1 City of Blinding lights
2 Magnificent
3 Sometime You Cant Make It On Your Own
4 Elevation
5 Vertigo
6 Get On Your Boots
7 Miarcle Drug
8 Kite
9 Moment Of Surrender
10 All Because of You
11 Ill Go Crazy If i Dont Go Crazy Tonight
12 Breathe
13 Ground Beneath Her Feet
14 Orginal of the Species
15 New Single
16 Walk On

How can ordinary love be on the compliation when its the best of 2000-2010.

Ordinary loves just come out and its 2014. If its ever on a compliation it would be 2010-2020

we don't need a freeking best of of their worst decade.
Wouldn't buy it even if I win to the Euromillion!
Same old boring songs again.... Walk on, Elevation, BD, Vertigo, etc.....so sick of those.

2002's Electrical Storm was on 1990-2000.

Wasnt that a new single to promote the best of album though? Ordinary love was for the mandela film and has been released so surley it couldnt count?

Sure, but I don't think it would hurt any to include it. Especially since I'm thinking it's unlikely a 2010-2020 will happen. Might as well throw it in where you can.

How can ordinary love be on the compliation when its the best of 2000-2010.

Ordinary loves just come out and its 2014. If its ever on a compliation it would be 2010-2020

At this point, we all know the third compilation wouldn't come out until they call it quits (or if sooner, would stretch out to the very recent). So it would basically be 2000-whatever.

It's funny reading conversations I had 18 months ago! I still agree with my points, but I was emotional about them wasn't I? lol

Anyway, yes, if there were a third Best-of in the series, it should include songs from 2001 through maybe 2015 or 2016, whenever they have 5 albums to cull the tracks from. Ordinary Love would make the cut for sure after the Golden Globe.

"Invisible" is now the eighth lock from this era if a third Best Of ever happens, even though it hasn't even been released. The band feels strongly enough about the song to make it a centerpiece of a $20,000,000+ charity campaign.

Mercy
Xanax and Wine
Smile
Always
Falling at Your feet
Native Son
No Line on Horizon
In a Little While
Soon
Magnificent
Window in the Skies
Moment of Surrender

I'm all for a new (Best of 2000-2010+) collection for continuity, how about something like this?:

1.) Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix)
2.) Magnificent (Edit)
3.) Original of the Species (Single Mix)
4.) Beautiful Day (live at Slane Castle - in effort to include a song from a prior best of)
5.) Get On Your Boots (New Mix!!!)
6.) Vertigo
7.) I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Single Mix)
8.) Invisible
9.) City of Blinding Lights (Radio Edit)
10.) Window In the Skies (Take it or leave it)
11.) All Because of You (Single Mix)
12.) Ordinary Love
13.) Sometime You Can't Make It On Your Own
14.) Walk On (Single Version)
15.) Moment of Surrender

In a Little While, Kite,The Saints Are Coming (minus Green Day mix) ,
and Breathe are on the extended edition :wink:

They couldn't even begin to think of a 2000-2010 compilation without putting Beautiful Day on it, despite that song's (inappropriate) presence on the 1990s disc.

Actually nothing post Pop at all should be on that 1990s compilation.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

1. Beautiful Day
2. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
3. Elevation
4. Walk On
5. Electrical Storm [William Orbit Mix)
6. The Hands That Built America
7. Vertigo
8. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
9. City of Blinding Lights
10. Original of the Species
11. The Saints Are Coming
12. Window in the Skies
13. Get On Your Boots
14. Magnificent
15. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
16. Moment Of Surrender
17. Mercy (Live From Brussellas)

What the hell, I'll give it a shot:

1. Elevation(Tomb Raider Mix)
2. Beautiful Day
3. City Of Blinding Lights
4. Vertigo
5. All Because Of You
6. Magnificent
7. Moment Of Surrender
8. Stuck In A Moment
9. Original Of The Species
10. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
11. Mercy(mastered original version, new track)
12. No Line On The Horizon
13. Invisible
14. Walk On
15. Kite
16. The Ground Beneath Her Feet

I've ommited Electrical Storm and Hands because, although I like them both a lot(in fact I love Hands even though a lot of you find it boring), they were already on a Best Of.

I've included Beautiful Day and Stuck In A Moment because, even though they were on the previous Best Of, they probably shouldn't have been and I'm hoping if the band ever releases a third best of, they just say screw it and include them anyways.

I've not included Boots or Crazy because I don't think it's a given that they'd be there just because they were singles - 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, A Day Without Me, Gloria, and Two Hearts Beat As One were all singles and omitted from the Best Of 1980-1990(although you can argue they shouldn't have been).

I've included album cuts Kite and MOS because I think they matter to the band enough to be included, and I've included album cut NLOTH because it's awesome imo. I've also included TGBHF because I think it's genuinely one of their best songs of the 00s and the guitar solo at the end is magical for me.

I made Mercy - the unmasted HTDAAB Mercy - the 'new' track, because I think it's the best choice.

I'd include Fez-BB too, as I think it's possibly their best song of the 00s, but I just don't think it's realistic it would ever end up there, even if it deserves to.

Looking at this, I feel like it should just be 00-10 and not beyond, because we're already making 15+ song tracklists and there's at least one more album coming. It could end up being too much for one disc.

No
No Beautiful Day
No Electrical Storm
Nothing from the 90-00 album here...

And remember, is a BEST OF, not a Greatest Hits album

01 - City Of Blinding Lights
02 - Get On Your Boots
03 - Elevation (single mix)
04 - All Because Of You
05 - Winter
06 - Original Of The Species (single mix)
07 - MERCY (album/leaked version, New Single)
08 - No Line On The Horizon
09 - When I Look At The World
10 - Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
11 - Walk On
12 - Kite
13 - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (dance mix)
14 - Vertigo ( 14... get it? :wink: )
15 - Magnificent
16 - Moment Of Surrender

ATYCLB = 4
HTDAAB = 5 + Mercy
NLOTH = 5 + Winter

In no order;

1. Get On Your Boots
2. City Of Blinding Lights
3. Vertigo
4. Magnificent
5. Crumbs From Your Table
6. All Because Of You
7. Window in the Skies
8. Soon
9. Beautiful Day
10. Summer Rain
11. No Line On the Horizon
12. Breathe
13. Winter
14. Moment of Surrender
15. Original of the Species
16. Grace

I've always thought "Elevation" would pretty much have to be the opener. It starts with that ringing guitar sound similar to how "Pride" and "Even Better Than The Real Thing" opened up the previous compilations.

"All I Want Is You" and "The First Time" definitely have a similar vibe as well, even if "The First Time" is far more understated. "Moment of Surrender" is probably the closest thing that could end a third compilation...it was the tour ender on 360 and would make a strong closer given its emotional buildup and length.

Both compilations chuck the more experimental material that weren't exactly the band's biggest hits towards the end of the compilation. Best of 1980-1990 buries the new song and the four Rattle & Hum tracks at the very end while the second Best Of has a new song (that wasn't a single) and four tracks from the Zooropa through Pop-era (although one of them was a huge success and two were quite popular at the time). I open this section with a new track followed by "Magnificent" which is different enough to be here as kind of a lead-in to some of the No Line On The Horizon material. The single mix of "Original of the Species" is included right before the final track since it's a pop number (like penultimate tracks "Angel of Harlem" and "Numb" from the previous compilations) and also fits the "alternate mixes buried at the end" vibe of the last compilation. Plus, it's not a particular fan favorite nor is it constructed in a matter that's easily digestible to most. "Ordinary Love" is a little different...it's a soundtrack tune and also has a superior single mix. It fits in with the end of this album being mostly later material, and again, with the "alternate mixes at the end" vibe.

Last part of this construction was filling in slots #2-#10 with the band's biggest successes from that era. I decided to go with "Invisible" as the second track since it's a poppy number (see "New Year's Day" and "Mysterious Ways") and also helps prevent the album from fatiguing listeners by having all the hits from ATYCLB and HTDAAB show up super early (as those tracks were almost all near the start of their albums).

"Walk On" is kind of the "One" or "With or Without You" of this era...a very emotional ballad, yet still fitting the confines of the single format. It should go here as the kind of switch that the other two tracks happened to be on their compilations.

"All Because Of You" switches things back into a rock mode before "City of Blinding Lights' provides the album's highlight (once again in the fifth slot). From there, I filled in the gaps rather quickly with an order I found pleasing.

Final Track List:

1. Elevation (Single Mix)
2. Invisible (Single Edit)
3. Walk On (Single Mix)
4. All Because Of You (Single Mix)
5. City of Blinding Lights
6. In A Little While
7. Vertigo
8. Window In The Skies
9. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
10. Kite
11. New Song
12. Magnificent
13. Ordinary Love (Paul Epworth Remix)
14. Get On Your Boots
15. Original of the Species (Single Mix)
16. Moment of Surrender

I guess there's now eleven locks for this hypothetical compilation:

1. Walk On - likely the single mix
2. Elevation - likely the single mix
3. Vertigo
4. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
5. City of Blinding Lights
6. Moment of Surrender
7. second selection from NLOTH - either Boots or Magnificent
8. Ordinary Love - possibly the Epworth remix
9. Invisible - likely the single edit (we've still yet to hear a longer version)
10. first selection from SOI
11. second selection from SOI

I can't see them having just one track from each of the last two albums, hence why I give them two selections a piece. It's possible that it could drop down to one from SOI if they lump SOI and the upcoming SOE together (giving perhaps three or four tracks total from those sessions a nod).

I don't think the new album's first single is really a lock by any means and I could see the new album not really having a hit, thus putting a lot of its tracks into play for this type of compilation.

If they were to call it a day now, I think the other choices beyond the eight I specifically listed above would be:

9. In A Little While (Wins out over Kite based on the evidence we have - the band reviving it fairly often for their tours)
10. All Because of You - single mix (too tempting to not include a fourth hit from the album that won them a record number of Grammys. It should be noted that ABOY was a more successful single than anything they released after 2004.)
11. Get On Your Boots (muted response to this one won't really matter, it at least leaves an impression and the band loves it)
12. Magnificent (memorable and different enough to stand out, album's second of only two minor hits)
13. Every Breaking Wave (hits the right mark in being single/radio worthy and well liked by the fans)
14. Volcano (fan enthusiasm, potential live beast)
15. New Song #1
16. New Song #2 (these two tracks are bait to help draw attention to the third hits album)

Back
Top Bottom