Beach clip #1 - Moment of Surrender or NLOTH? *Discuss Clip 1 Here*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm just saying, based on the intro that we have (which is quite clearly shortened), it could be a very interesting one. It sounds like the tape is being eaten at the very start.

I see what your saying but it doesn't say much... I mean listening to it how the intro will sound. Oh well, hope its a good one!

I don't know anything about NLOTH, or which song that one is (I don't think it is any of the clips), but I firmly believe that clip 1 is in fact 'Moment of Surrender'. It has the ethereal quality and atmosphere that Eno was talking about when he said it was best thing he'd ever done with U2. Eno loved the sound of 'Stuck in a Moment'. This one is similar in sound, but not in specific musical structure. This one is allowed to roam a little bit. It is more loose, and has an amazing chorus that doesn't feel so contained and restricted as does 'Stuck' - you get the feeling that this song could take flight at any moment, and I believe that this will happen when played live. It has a special beauty about it.

All of the great U2 songs have some kind of unique beauty to them. The way this one sort of shimmers off at the end...it's one of those guitar solos that carries you away. You want to get lost in it...you want to let it take you somewhere, somewhere that is not exactly here in the physical, and if you let it, it will. It's a spiritual song from what I can tell. It's like all their greatest songs in that respect. Anyway, I would be very surprised if this song wasn't 'Moment of Surrender'.

I don't know anything about NLOTH, or which song that one is (I don't think it is any of the clips), but I firmly believe that clip 1 is in fact 'Moment of Surrender'. It has the ethereal quality and atmosphere that Eno was talking about when he said it was best thing he'd ever done with U2. Eno loved the sound of 'Stuck in a Moment'. This one is similar in sound, but not in specific musical structure. This one is allowed to roam a little bit. It is more loose, and has an amazing chorus that doesn't feel so contained and restricted as does 'Stuck' - you get the feeling that this song could take flight at any moment, and I believe that this will happen when played live. It has a special beauty about it.

All of the great U2 songs have some kind of unique beauty to them. The way this one sort of shimmers off at the end...it's one of those guitar solos that carries you away. You want to get lost in it...you want to let it take you somewhere, somewhere that is not exactly here in the physical, and if you let it, it will. It's a spiritual song from what I can tell. It's like all their greatest songs in that respect. Anyway, I would be very surprised if this song wasn't 'Moment of Surrender'.

Well said. I hope it gets released with the new album.

I don't know anything about NLOTH, or which song that one is (I don't think it is any of the clips), but I firmly believe that clip 1 is in fact 'Moment of Surrender'.

Apparently it's not. A respected poster on the U2achtung forum heard MOS being played at Eze and he states that none of the beach clips were it.

Apparently it's not. A respected poster on the U2achtung forum heard MOS being played at Eze and he states that none of the beach clips were it.

I've been saying this too, but people like to speculate anyway :wink:

I think MOS might be the one with the guitar part Edge plays unplugged at the beginning of the edgeback clip.

And how does said respected poster know that the song he heard was indeed 'Moment of Surrender'? Just because the word "surrender" was uttered a few times? If so, there may be quite a number of U2 songs with that title!

Maybe the acoustic bit at the end of Adam's new driving video is part of MOS?

I don't feel like going over all the posts at U2Achtung (it gets quite messy there sometimes), but what I remember reading is that one of the guys who heard some songs at the beach, and the one who gave descriptions of the songs (that I then translated into English), including suggesting the 'Sexy Boots' title and what he thought could be MoS because the word 'surrender' was said often and was an epic ballad, said that he HEARD that MoS was not part of the clips. In other words, the person who thinks they heard MoS on the beach seemed like he did NOT listen to the clips himself.

Maybe there is another quote that I missed, but all that to say that it is still very possible MoS is one of the clips, and I also would not be surprised if it was Clip 1 (which could also be NLOTH).

None of the beach clips fit the description of NLOTH as written in the USA Today article back in January.

This is what was posted on the u2achtung forum.

In response to the following post:

"je trouve que Sexy Boots est un titre ?la con franchement, il me sort deja par les trous de nez!
Surrender c la première?"

Fredo posted:

"apparemment Moment of surrender n'est pas dans les beach clips. Heureusement d'ailleurs, ce serait un massacre ! "

Anyone know what the last sentence means? :confused:

This is what was posted on the u2achtung forum.

In response to the following post:

"je trouve que Sexy Boots est un titre �la con franchement, il me sort deja par les trous de nez!
Surrender c la première?"

Fredo posted:

"apparemment Moment of surrender n'est pas dans les beach clips. Heureusement d'ailleurs, ce serait un massacre ! "

Anyone know what the last sentence means? :confused:

Yes, this is the quote I was referring to. Fredo is the guy who heard the songs on the beach and gave the description. The first guy asked if MoS was the first song and Fredo replied: 'Apparently Moment of Surrender is not in the beach clips. Good thing actually because that would be a real massacre! (suggesting it wouldn't be nice to hear that song in such poor quality or something like that)

So this is what I was saying, he said 'apparently', which suggests he did not listen to the clips himself. But maybe someone else who was with him did and told him. I don't know, I'm over-analysing here! But bottom line this quote is not a proof/conclusion that Clip 1 is not MoS.

look, there shouldn't be any confusion here...nobody knows whether or not MOS or NLOTH were recorded out of these 5 clips because nobody talked to the band! They're all just a bunch of fans who were on a beach and recorded the clips...sure they heard more than we're hearing in the recordings but that doesn't change the fact that they know absolutely nothing more than us in terms of whether or not we're hearing MOS or NLOTH :shrug:

look, there shouldn't be any confusion here...nobody knows whether or not MOS or NLOTH were recorded out of these 5 clips because nobody talked to the band! They're all just a bunch of fans who were on a beach and recorded the clips...sure they heard more than we're hearing in the recordings but that doesn't change the fact that they know absolutely nothing more than us in terms of whether or not we're hearing MOS or NLOTH :shrug:

I disagree. The lyrics would have been more audible in person. If someone heard the line 'moment of surrender' or 'no line on the horizon' in some sort of repeated or melodic refrain, then calling the some by that title is a safe bet.

Here is a question for LarryMullanFan:

Given that MOS is 8 minutes long and people have been speculating that clip 1 maybe this song; were you able to record more or less the entire song?

If the entire song was recorded and given that it's only 4 mintes long then I guess you could conclude that clip1 isn't MOS.

Back
Top Bottom