Beach clip #1 - Moment of Surrender or NLOTH? *Discuss Clip 1 Here*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont know about anyone else, but in the HQ clip, I thought I could clearly hear him saying No line on the ..... horizon ("horizon" stretched out), then repeating "No line" in an elevated almost yell, then immediately saying "Im (even?) coming to the surface for your love".

I dont know about anyone else, but in the HQ clip, I thought I could clearly hear him saying No line on the ..... horizon ("horizon" stretched out), then repeating "No line" in an elevated almost yell, then immediately saying "Im (even?) coming to the surface for your love".

:hmm:

K maybe I'm a little slow here...but I never made the connection between "coming to the surface for your love" and the title/lyric "No Line on the Horizon" ....in that case...Reead, what you're saying would make sense...and I can sort of hear what your saying in the clip but I'm hearing other things too...not positive..I don't think it's as clear as you're saying... ;)

the point here is that at the time that 3:43 clip was recorded, NLOTH was already being talked about in the U2 camp as an awesome song....there is no way they dissect the lead single and move parts around and transform it this much right before they start putting the final mixing touches on the album...It could be song 1 isn't NLOTH, and the 3:15 clip ( Surface For Your Love ) is actually NLOTH...or song 1 is NLOTH, and both the Surface For Your Love clip and the 3:43 clip are two totally different songs...or the 3:43 clip is actually NLOTH and song 1 and the 3:15 clip are two different songs....oooorrrr....they messed with the songs at a reeeally late time in the recording process, and switched guitar solo outros, in which case I'm not even going to try to think about this anymore....because this is getting reeeeeeeeeeallly fucking frustrating :giggle:

dammit why can't we just have a copy of the album...an interference only album copy.....why dammit...why....:waiting:

Confusing as hell either way, I agree. Im going with the theory that the first "NLOTH" clip was two songs playing at once, because Bono sounds waay out of key compared to the rest of the song playing in the background in that clip.

Ok... so I was just listening to that Lanois video (got the movie), and I tried to make out the lyrics. Second chorus of the "oh oh oh's". Here it goes...

"Shout with joy,
on (everthing?),
won't stop, you
can't give it up, right now

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh....

You know their name,
so call it out..."

That's my best attempt. :wave:

Finally someone agrees with me (see post 78 on this thread) I still think it is very clear at 39 seconds.

This is what I have so far.

'There in the perfect grass, an opening'

I'm not hearing that at all. It doesn't make any sense.

I'm hearing "today is the perfect day for something-ing." I can't determine that last word.

Ok... so I was just listening to that Lanois video (got the movie), and I tried to make out the lyrics. Second chorus of the "oh oh oh's". Here it goes...

"Shout with joy,
on (everthing?),
won't stop, you

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh....

You know their name,
so call it out..."

That's my best attempt. :wave:

I tried to make a transcript of beach clip1 and couldn't hear the second chorus, but I think you're right or at least close:

Today is the perfect day of ???
You say the three basic numbers ???
You dial ??? to the world

So
Shout it out
Right now
Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
Shut yourself (that's what I hear, lol, suggestions ?)
And gravity ? (doesn't make sense)
Heal me
Teach me
That I may be
Touch down (again doesn't make sense)
Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
???
???

next verse (can't make it out)

next chorus, some lines I can't hear, but then at 1.52 what you suggested:

Shout with joy
on (everything?)
won't stop, you

Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh

You know their name,
so call it out...

or they may have changed the last line!

There's more, but too difficult to hear..

There are no signs of the words 'no line on the horizon' or 'moment of surrender'.

I tried to make a transcript of beach clip1 and couldn't hear the second chorus, but I think you're right or at least close:

Today is the perfect day of ???
You say the three basic numbers ???
You dial ??? to the world

So
Shout it out
Right now
Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
Shut yourself (that's what I hear, lol, suggestions ?)
And gravity ? (doesn't make sense)
Heal me
Teach me
That I may be
Touch down (again doesn't make sense)
Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
???
???

next verse (can't make it out)

next chorus, some lines I can't hear, but then at 1.52 what you suggested:

Shout with joy
on (everything?)
won't stop, you

Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh

You know their name,
so call it out...

or they may have changed the last line!

There's more, but too difficult to hear..

There are no signs of the words 'no line on the horizon' or 'moment of surrender'.

There actually are signs of the word "surrender" being sung. Mark 1:03 or 1:04 and then again at 1:23 I believe.... "Suuurrrennderrr!"

A - who says there's gonna be a song called NLOTH on the album anyway? it might be just the album's name or just a line in one of the songs (just like HTDAAB and ATYCLB were).
the ONLY mention of NLOTH was that bono gave it as a temporary name to a song he played to a reporter in February, driving around Utah, which he described as "just first drafts" (link: http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/movieawards/sundance/2008-01-21-u2-sundance_N.htm).
They could still play around with it a lot. just remember the Berlin AB sessions, lyrical phrases from those recordings (Midnight is where.. Wake up dead man) ended up on Zooropa and even Pop - 6 years later, and remember that Bono changes vocals and lyrics a lot, the final vocal track of LNOE was recorded on the console, on the last day of 1996 about two weeks before they released Discotheque for radio.

B - Anyway, I had a crazy coincidence today, Late evening, I was walking in an alley in Jerusalem, on my way to a friend's house, and I was thinking about how Beach Clip 1 whatever it may be, reminds me of Lemon somehow, as if its an answer to that song a reprise or a reply, and I was just thinking that I should listen to Lemon again because I haven't listened to it for some time now, and suddenly after 5 minutes, as I was passing by a house, Lemon was blasting out from the courtyard, and it struck me! as opposed to Lemon, the group singing is in the chorus, while on Lemon there's a group singing in the verse, the atmosphere (and Eno's distinctive vocals contribute a lot to that) has something in common as it appears to me, and if you try singing "Midnight, is where the day begins" on Beach clip 1's verse, you can see that there's a musical connection, but I thing there might be further connection, lyrical or thematic or whatever which we may only see when it finally comes out.

Okay, let me attempt to get things straight here. I'll comment on the three sets of "clips" we have separately to try to sort this out.

-------------
Going back to the original clip everyone decided was NLOTH: (3:43)

I'm standing by my assertion that this clip was two songs playing at once. I have a few reasons for believing this.

One being that the song as it stands in this clip sounds like the worst thing U2 have ever written. Bono's vocals are in a key that sounds absolutely terrible with the chiming sounds going on beneath it.

Secondly, I can hear the chanting chorus (Oooooh, oooooh) at certain points (0:18-0:20 is one example) from the recent Beach Clips underneath Bono's singing in parts.

Finally, in the few parts of the clip where Bono is not singing I can hear an electronic sounding chorus (2:20 up until the start of the solo is when it's clearest) that was not in LarryMullenFan's clips. This even sounds like they could be singing "No Line on the Horizon", but that's just pure speculation.
------------

------------
Now on to DOL's HQ clip, which most people have dubbed "For Your Love" based on Bono's clear singing of "I'm coming to the surface for your love" and the fact that it's been speculated that a song named "For Your Love" will be on the new album. Earlier in the thread I mentioned that I thought I heard the line "No Line on the Horizon" in this, but after more listening I'm going to reneg on that. I think this clip is clearly the song "For Your Love", based on the lines we hear at 0:21 and 1:14.
------------

------------
The beach clips. Hmmm.

Clip one is the one that most people have assumed is No Line on the Horizon. I'm going to disagree. I'm in the camp that thinks this clip is the part of the song we hear in the background of the original "NLOTH" clip, and that the solo always belonged to this song. I think the actual No Line on the Horizon fades out of the first clip at some point before this song's guitar solo comes in. I have no proof of this, but based on the conjectures of other members (why cut up a song your producers have hailed as being so great at such a late stage of the game?) I'd have to say that this is its own song and has always been that way.

Some people claim this song is Moment of Surrender, but I think we simply don't know yet.
----------------

That's my two cents.

I think that Song1 is "Moment of Surrender" not "No Line on the Horizon"... if such song exist. Reason being that on mark 1:03 & 1:23... it clearly sounds like, "ssssuuurrrreeender". Kick as song though. Hope it makes the cut.

I think that Song1 is "Moment of Surrender" not "No Line on the Horizon"... if such song exist. Reason being that on mark 1:03 & 1:23... it clearly sounds like, "ssssuuurrrreeender". Kick as song though. Hope it makes the cut.

That's a fair assumption, although, don't forget that on october we had a song called rejoice, and a song called Scarlet, who's lyrics entirley comprise the word rejoice.

I don;t think song one fits the description of the French fans that it starts kind of like 'stuck'. Although that isn;t a reliable source for nameing songs.

That's a fair assumption, although, don't forget that on october we had a song called rejoice, and a song called Scarlet, who's lyrics entirley comprise the word rejoice.

I don;t think song one fits the description of the French fans that it starts kind of like 'stuck'. Although that isn;t a reliable source for nameing songs.

You are problably right. But the song that we hear on clip one... we can't dismiss it. It's is a good song from what we hear... hopefully it makes the cut. We got... 2 months or so to wait...

Listening to Clip 4 again last night I got the very strong impression, that Bono is singing "No Line On The Horizon" in the chorus, after "Only Love". But of couse, this can be imagination since we're speculating so much about it.

Oh man, I can't get past clip #1's intro...it sounds so cool. The song is not only finished, but sounds like it's being played straight off the record with full studio production. I hope the actual intro of the song is a good 30 seconds or so.

Oh man, I can't get past clip #1's intro...it sounds so cool. The song is not only finished, but sounds like it's being played straight off the record with full studio production. I hope the actual intro of the song is a good 30 seconds or so.

Can you describe this "intro?" I've seen a few posters talking about it but for some reason I can't get my ears wrapped around it in the beach clip. I'm just not hearing anything I would call an intro. Thanks!

Can you describe this "intro." I've seen a few posters talking about it but for some reason I can't get my ears wrapped around it in the beach clip. I'm just not hearing any substantial "intro." Thanks.

The intro cuts off right at the very start, maybe lasting about 4 seconds. It's this watery, wobbly, strangely futuristic-sounding snippet that's in a different key than the verses. To me, it's a clear sign that these songs are not live, but have full studio production (unless, of course, they're using pre-recorded music to fill out the sound).

The intro cuts off right at the very start, maybe lasting about 4 seconds. It's this watery, wobbly, strangely futuristic-sounding snippet that's in a different key than the verses. To me, it's a clear sign that these songs are not live, but have full studio production (unless, of course, they're using pre-recorded music to fill out the sound).

Good tip! Thanks! I'll listen for it after work. :wave:

I'm wavering between #1 and #3 as my favorites. #1 has a great melody but the guitars remind me a bit too much of In A Little While in parts. Of course, you can't really tell the texture for sure.

How do you know what Song1 intro sounds like? Do you have another copy of the song besides the Ben Clips that has the intro?

How do you know what Song1 intro sounds like? Do you have another copy of the song besides the Ben Clips that has the intro?

I'm just saying, based on the intro that we have (which is quite clearly shortened), it could be a very interesting one. It sounds like the tape is being eaten at the very start.

Back
Top Bottom