Beach clip #1 - Moment of Surrender or NLOTH? *Discuss Clip 1 Here*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is what I have so far.

'There in the perfect grass, an opening'
'You know the three magic numbers......(they all look up to?)'
'So you dial them onto your......(sounds like headlight or hairline)'

'No'
'Louder Now'
'Rise Up'

Ohoh

'....put yourself'
'and clarity'
'hear me through you speak'
'there are many who could not'

ohoh

'the lord has plans'
'I need to try to/'

'/Ascend up.....'
'You know good and well.......(I wanna..?)'
'Stood there with the sweet of your afterlife'
'.......'

'inside.......'
'so put yourself'
'don't preachers know?'

ohoh

'Help us Lord'
'Hypocritics out!'
'...........'
'right now'

'You know their names'
'So forgive these sins'

'Through you speak'
'better.......'
'could have been'

ohoh

'God.....'
'Oh day that made'

This is what I have so far.

'No'
'Louder Now'
'Rise Up'

Ohoh

'....put yourself'
'and clarity'

ohoh

'the lord has plans'
'I need to try to/'

'/Ascend up.....'
'.......'

'inside.......'
'so put yourself'
'don't preachers know?'

ohoh

'Help us Lord'
'Hypocritics out!'
'...........'
'right now'

'You know their names'
'So forgive these sins'

'Through you speak'
'better.......'
'could have been'

ohoh

'God.....'
'Oh day that made'

I agree- and this is why I think this maybe Cedars of Lebanon. Just given the lyrical content. Then again- does it have a Hendrix feel? I guess we can't really accurately judge that from a beach clip.

I have been trying very hard to work out the lyrics to this song, because it's my favourite of the 4 clips.

I wonder what you think of my interpretation.

I think that in the first verse I can hear him say the following:

"J33, the magic number" - this is at 12 seconds in.

Then, at 22 seconds, he sings "Dial it"

I might be totally wrong, but I remembered how Bono or Edge said that numbers were very important in this album.

"J33" is a number that has been used before - on the cover of ATYCLB, in the top left. The band altered the image of the airport terminal to put 'J33_3' in. I am not religious but I understand this refers to a verse in the bible, possibly Jeremiah or Job, which is known as 'God's phone number' - hence why I think he might be singing "Dial it" at 0.22.

Maybe one of you can help me out with this bible verse - I believe it goes something like:

"Call to me and I will answer you and show you great and hidden things that you have not known".

I remember reading an interview with Bono back in the ATYCLB days where he said he found it scrawled on a wall in a public toilet, or something like that, and the idea stuck with him.

Then in the first chorus, I hear the following:

"Shout it out... Rise up...
Gravity
Heal me
Teach me
That I may be..."

I don't want to over-analyse and I may be well off, but I just wondered what you guys think, and if you can hear the same?

Yeah i agree with everything you have said. I;m in no way religious, so I'll take your word for it, but the lyrics seem to match the themes, and I am hearing the same things as you. I originally thought "that I may be" was actually "that I may see". Now I can't tell.

One thing to be careful of, they have said on many many occasions that they believe in god, but they are not religious. They don;t like what religion stands for, and what it does to people.

:|

"J33, the magic number" - this is at 12 seconds in.

Then, at 22 seconds, he sings "Dial it"

"J33" is a number that has been used before - on the cover of ATYCLB, in the top left. The band altered the image of the airport terminal to put 'J33_3' in. I am not religious but I understand this refers to a verse in the bible, possibly Jeremiah or Job, which is known as 'God's phone number' - hence why I think he might be singing "Dial it" at 0.22.

Now you point it out, I can definately make that out. I think you could have hit the nail on the head ...

It's Jeremiah 33:3

"Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know."

Bono's big on the OT prophets . . . and that guy, Jesus.

Beach Clip #1 - NLOTH

Ok so, the outro solo is exactly the same in the beach clip as with the previous clip we have (3:43 clip) that clearly has NLOTH in it's chorus. Also at 18-20 seconds on the old clip (3:43) you can hear the whooooa's. I think we can be fairly sure that clip 1 is NLOTH

:ohmy: Where has the other thread gone? I'm confused. So are we sure now clip 1 is NLOTH? Is it possible that they changed to song so much, because it's almost a completely new song. There are some similarities, but I don't know if the solo or some Whoas are really indication enough that this is the same song. After all, we know U2 like to make various versions of songs and they often take parts of songs, like a guitar solo, and use it in various songs.

No, we're not sure AT ALL. If these two tracks are the SAME they appear to have entirely scrapped the old song and kept a title and an outro....... Hard to swallow that they did that at such a late date..

Yes, Always became Beautiful Day, but U2 wasn't going around telling everyone what a great song Always was before they replaced it.....

The oh-oh and the whoah actually sound fairly different to me.

At the moment my theory is that the Outtro moved from one song to the other.

Here is an attempted transcription of the lyrics to track #1 U2DMfan tried to do from the other thread... A lot of it seems to be right to me. It doesn't seem to me like these lyrics go to a song called "No Line on the Horizon."

'No'
'Louder Now'
'Rise Up'

Ohoh

'....put yourself'
'and clarity'

ohoh

'the lord has plans'
'I need to try to/'

'/Ascend up.....'
'.......'

'inside.......'
'so put yourself'
'don't preachers know?'

ohoh

'Help us Lord'
'Hypocritics out!'
'...........'
'right now'

'You know their names'
'So forgive these sins'

'Through you speak'
'better.......'
'could have been'

ohoh

'God.....'
'Oh day that made'

Here's what I posted a few days ago...any other possibilities besides these 3?

Originally Posted by bram
I know calling clip #1 "No Line on the Horizon" has fallen out of favor, but I'm a bit confused as to why. There are at least 3 possible options:

1) the original 3:43 clip outside the studios is No Line and so is clip #1.
2) the 3:43 is a combination of No Line and clip #1 being played over each other at the same time, which is why people here the words "No Line..." and the #1 chorus and guitar solo all in the same clip
3) the 3:43 clip changed lyrically by a significant amount since it was recorded...and No Line has now become #1 and may have a different name

Any other options? Which do you find the most likely (after listening to the original clip again)?

Here's what I posted a few days ago...any other possibilities besides these 3?

Originally Posted by bram
I know calling clip #1 "No Line on the Horizon" has fallen out of favor, but I'm a bit confused as to why. There are at least 3 possible options:

1) the original 3:43 clip outside the studios is No Line and so is clip #1.
2) the 3:43 is a combination of No Line and clip #1 being played over each other at the same time, which is why people here the words "No Line..." and the #1 chorus and guitar solo all in the same clip
3) the 3:43 clip changed lyrically by a significant amount since it was recorded...and No Line has now become #1 and may have a different name

Any other options? Which do you find the most likely (after listening to the original clip again)?

Im inclined to say number 2. The solo wouldnt fit with NLOTH,,, its a basic melody driven solo... it follows the same melodic structure. it couldnt be for any other song. Also hear some of the verse guitar in the NLOH clip

Ha, I noticed that "'No' 'Louder Now' 'Rise Up'" actually looks a lot like "no line on the horizon," but when I'm listening the former lyric still sounds more accurate. ah well..

Im inclined to say number 2. The solo wouldnt fit with NLOTH,,, its a basic melody driven solo... it follows the same melodic structure. it couldnt be for any other song. Also hear some of the verse guitar in the NLOH clip

Yeah, I think this makes the most sense too, even though I can't think of why they'd be playing over top of each other. But Bono's shouting and the chorus of track 1 doesn't really seem to fit as one song, and then the guitar solo coming out at the end, as you pointed out.

I wondered about this too, because if NLOTH is the first single, clip no. 1 doesn't sound like a single, at least from the beach clip. Clips 2 and 4, to me at least, do.

I also wonder if "Moment of Surrender" is one of the old beach clips that included "Window in the Skies." I don't have the original numbers attributed to them, but it's the one that has the chorus "All my life I've been waiting for . . . " Any thoughts?

I'm with the camp that says beach clip 1 is NOT NLOTH. The song has been described as rough and heavy in parts. Edge mentioned that the guitar texture originated from a distortion box. Beach clip 1 sounds like a pop tune that could fit comfortably on ALYCLB. I think it's far more likely that they decided to flip flop guitar solos than alter the entire atmosphere of the track.

I am convinced that the original 3:43 NLOTH clip is two songs recorded over one another I dont know how this could happen but u can hear the Whooooaaohhs (like the chant like in song 1 in the new beach clips) but I also hear bono still shouting in the background of the original NLOTH clip while the Whooooaaohs are going on. The only way to explain this is that its 2 songs over one another

Here is an attempted transcription of the lyrics to track #1 U2DMfan tried to do from the other thread... A lot of it seems to be right to me. It doesn't seem to me like these lyrics go to a song called "No Line on the Horizon."

'No'
'Louder Now'
'Rise Up'

Ohoh

'....put yourself'
'and clarity'

ohoh

'the lord has plans'
'I need to try to/'

'/Ascend up.....'
'.......'

'inside.......'
'so put yourself'
'don't preachers know?'

ohoh

'Help us Lord'
'Hypocritics out!'
'...........'
'right now'

'You know their names'
'So forgive these sins'

'Through you speak'
'better.......'
'could have been'

ohoh

'God.....'
'Oh day that made'

Listened to it again reading your attempted lyrics. Good try!

Is it possible that someone could have been working on one song (NLOTH) in one room with Bono improvising and another person could have played back the other song (later known as clip1) in another room? The rooms isolated from each other, but the windows open so the fan in the street could have heard and recorded both.

In the NLOTH clip you hear the chanting from the Lanois film and clip1 at 0.19 and then they sing 'no line on the horizon 11 seconds later at 0.30. Then again at 1.09 the chanting, and 1.20 'no line on the horizon'. 11 seconds between them. Immediately after that the chanting again but this time it seems 'no line on the horizon' is on top of it like it doesn't belong here.

It could still belong, and be one song, but just sounds wrong to us because we can't hear the details, so only speculation on my part, of course.

My NLOTH clip is from february, so they could easily have changed it many times...

Well, I just received that Daniel Lanois film in the mail today and I watched a little bit of the U2 section. We all know by know that Song1 or clip #1 from Ben's clips, makes a appearance on this film. I'm gonna have to watch it again and listen to what the exact words on the chorus say. Very interesting song let me tell you. My co-worker (who is a very big U2 fan but doesn't have the time to follow thru all the U2 news... busy guy) said he loves that clip and was amazed that they let Lanois use that clip.

What about the more recent HQ clip (3.15) where IMO you can clearly here Bono sing 'No line on the horizon' several times, this sounds nothing like clip 1.

Back
Top Bottom