atu2.com rumour: TWO albums, one digital, one regular CD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
From OTR column by Matt McGee -

In my previous OTR column from early October, I mentioned in passing a rumor we'd heard about U2 working on a double album, and suggested it may explain the Daniel Lanois comment about mixing "half the U2 record." I was lazy in my word choice. The rumor we heard wasn't of a double album, it was that U2 would be releasing two albums. I apologize for not being more clear.

Furthering that idea, we recently heard a new rumor with more details on what may be to come: One album will be the traditional CD release, while a second album will be released only online (i.e., via iTunes and other stores). I have no idea if it's true or not, but it does fit in fairly nicely with what Paul McGuinness said earlier this year about the new album release: "We will obviously work with whatever technology is available to make the release of the new record as interesting as possible."

:hmm:

Does anyone really care about an 'interesting' release method? Really? Can't we just have a normal album? Won't it eventually be released hard anyway?

I don't like these double albums disguised as two different albums. A waste of time and money and an annoyance. Like Nelly's Sweat/Suit suite, which was eventually realeased as one album anyway.

It would go along with Lanois' "mixing half of the album" talk, or Steve Averill talking about two records being made.

I just like hearing the words "two" and "albums" in the plan.

One album will be the traditional CD release, while a second album will be released only online (i.e., via iTunes and other stores).

:|
Two albums? Yes, but the other one 6 months or a year after the first one, please, on a CD.
2 singles from each album. :up: (ok, maybe 3 singles :D)

How do they decide which album will be released as a "real" CD and which one will only be released online?

Personally, I want a REAL CD release.

How do they decide which album will be released as a "real" CD and which one will only be released online?

I wonder if the regular U2 album is the CD release and that rumoured "Passengers part II" album is the digital release ?

So they're just continuing their tradition of releasing multiple versions of everything.
Anyone remember when they'd release 3 or 4 versions of the same CD single. I still bought most of them though. Damn you McGuinness getting rich from suckers like me :madwife:

:up:

opens the door to "the real album is better" vs. "the online album is better"
or what's worse "mainstream album" vs. "experimental album" :doh:

It would be cool that some crazy experimental record ala "Passengers" would be released online and a more commercial one as a regular CD.

Anyway, sounds interesting, but I somehow doubt this rumour.

It would be cool that some crazy experimental record ala "Passengers" would be released online and a more commercial one as a regular CD.

Anyway, sounds interesting, but I somehow doubt this rumour.

I'd like this too. Though surely both albums would have to be released a s a hard copy at some point anyway.

So they're just continuing their tradition of releasing multiple versions of everything.
Anyone remember when they'd release 3 or 4 versions of the same CD single. I still bought most of them though. Damn you McGuinness getting rich from suckers like me :madwife:

that's not what they said...

i would imagine the second online album will be a collection of b-sides and songs that didn't make it onto the proper album, sort of like what coldplay's doing with prospekt's march.

OMGZ UTOOs stealing from COLDPLAY!!!

Maybe the regular release will be a pseudo-safe album. Not really a step back to the 90's, but definitely not like the last two crap albums.

And then the 2nd album, possibly released only online, will be HUGE experimental album. Lanois has been working with them. Hmmmm.....Passengers 2? But this time with Lanois and not Eno. Oh hell, just being Eno on board too and a bunch of other artists. :drool:

I'd much rather just see them release CD(s)... but as long as the album(s) can be downloaded losslessly, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatever.

I hate that idea. In fact, I hate the idea of two simultaneous different albums like Suit/Sweat or Use Your Illusion.
An album is an album, it's a concept, a sole thing, not just a compilation of songs.
If this is to become true, I hope the digital release will be a disc with b-sides and outtakes... only.

It would be awesome if the online album was the raw beginnings of songs from upto a year ago, kind of like the achtung baby sessions... Then the real album being the finished product.

It would be clever... Let's say that the sessions went very well in an experimental way, but they also realise that putting out an experimental album right now could be making or breaking them all over again, it would be wise to release a 'mainstream' rock album on cd to satisfy the appetite of the classic U2-sound demanding fans, and to release an experimental thing for the critics and hard core fans and maybe the opportunity to move in a slightly different direction, paving the way for a third album (release date 2015)!!

After the itunes box set, I'm not too crazy about getting more music that I can't physically own.

Two albums would be hot. After a long wait it would be nice to get more than just the usual 11 tracks. But, of course, we have no idea if this is true. The waiting game continues...

Radiohead, and now Coldplay have done a similar thing with releasing a main album and an additional EP/Album of outtakes and other stuff. Seems to be a new trend so I see no reason that U2 couldn't/wouldn't do the same thing.

Two albums would be hot. After a long wait it would be nice to get more than just the usual 11 tracks. But, of course, we have no idea if this is true. The waiting game continues...

Correct, you'd think I'd be used to this waiting malarky by now, but no, it still sucks...

Just release both on cd and digital...unless of the course the digital album is like the alternate takes or the Rubin sessions of the same songs. If the second album is a real album, I'd say they should release both physical and digital. If it's more an out-takes album, or alternate takes one then I'm fine with digital.

Back
Top Bottom