Arnie Acosta Mastering NLOTH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

subnet

New Yorker
Does anyone know if Arnie Acosta mastered NLOTH?

I'd imagine he did, but I haven't heard boo about this - but I know that the mastering studio he works in now in Santa Monica is different than the previous Hollywood mastering studio used for previous U2 albums

compression and distortion problems are usually the result of improper mastering

here is an interesting thread I found today about Arnie Acosta and U2.

"He left A&M because Universal was trying to force him to master Rap music and he refuses to do any rap."

wow, very interesting!

Arnie Acosta has mastered every single U2 album since Joshua Tree tight up until the latest remastered U2 albums and he is currently mastering the new album

i wonder if the mastering is not finished and is the final gate to releasing the first single to radio

i find the earlier albums were mastered better, and latter albums are set too loud and compressed. ab and jt and r&h having richer studio sound than newer albums.

intricacies in the mix get lost with high levels during mastering

As someone who does a lot of work to search out new music, I don't think there's anything wrong with being obsessed with classic rock. Most of it is a lot better than so-called modern rock.

And if you don't like a particular kind of music, why should you accept being forced to work on it? I'm sure some of the people annoyed by the rap thing wouldn't have batted an eye if he refused to work on country or death metal.

If he doesn't like rap, then he's probably not the right man to master it. Would you want U2's records mastered by someone who didn't like rock music?

So it's called integrity not liking a certain style of music. Interesting.

No. Actually, I would call it integrity to not let the music industry force you to work in creative medium that you didn't want to work in. Clearly he doesn't like working on rap music, so he didn't. Good on him. That, in my books shows integrity. No one would have a problem calling it integrity if it was accoustic folk rock that he didn't want to work on.

Bear in mind the mastering process requires days of listening to the music over and over again. If I couldn't stand Rap, was highly thought of enough that I could basically pick and choose where I work then I wouldn't.

No. Actually, I would call it integrity to not let the music industry force you to work in creative medium that you didn't want to work in. Clearly he doesn't like working on rap music, so he didn't. Good on him. That, in my books shows integrity. No one would have a problem calling it integrity if it was accoustic folk rock that he didn't want to work on.

Agree on the music industry tying to force him, but in general I wouldn't call it integrity to not like a certain kind of music.

Agree on the music industry tying to force him, but in general I wouldn't call it integrity to not like a certain kind of music.

But I wouldn't either ... I don't think he has integrity because he doesn't like rap, reading between the lines, I think he has integrity because he clearly stays true to what he actually wants to do with his creative talents, instead of bending to the will of the music industry. Anyway, it doesn't really matter. I think we probably both understand what integrity is ... :wink:

maybe he was doing because he thinks he doesn't have an ear for rap, therefore he would do the artist injustice by not doing the best job.

getting back to the thread, knowing that the mastering studio is different this time 'round, we might be in for a treat with the final mix, EQ, and mastering

a lot of people felt that death magnet and stadium arcadium was not mastered well and resulted in great amounts of compression and loss of fidelity

a lot of people blame the producer, but it's actually not the producer's fault in the end for a bad sounding album (bad in terms of note levels and fidelity)

this is an interesting thread for us audiophiles.

:applaud:

getting back to the thread, knowing that the mastering studio is different this time 'round, we might be in for a treat with the final mix, EQ, and mastering

a lot of people felt that death magnet and stadium arcadium was not mastered well and resulted in great amounts of compression and loss of fidelity

a lot of people blame the producer, but it's actually not the producer's fault in the end for a bad sounding album (bad in terms of note levels and fidelity)

this is an interesting thread for us audiophiles.

:applaud:

I guess the posts condemning Lillywhite for production on Bomb were full of it, then. :up:

Us audiophiles really need to get a Blu-ray version of the new album (in fact all the albums) so we can hear what the original master sounds like. I would pay $100 for that.:up:

yeah actually boo to DVD - give us Blu-ray premium deluxe platinum box set of NLOTH, and a coupon for some Bose headphones

I guess the posts condemning Lillywhite for production on Bomb were full of it, then. :up:

i would argue that case - considering he worked on AB and that album sounded great

i think the problem on HTDAAB is that too many cooks were in the kitchen and several mixes went to and from Arnie Acosta and the recording studios.

one of the tricks in the mastering is to listen to the album on low volume to pick out subtleties in the tracks within each song.

integrity is often confused for close-mindedness and I don't know why.

When? :huh:

Integrity would be to turn down a paycheck based on the merit of the individual artist, not genre.

If he turned down artist that were sexist, wore fur, or used autotune... or whatever his cause was, that would be integrity, but to completely dismiss a genre for no reason is just being close-minded.

When? :huh:

Integrity would be to turn down a paycheck based on the merit of the individual artist, not genre.

If he turned down artist that were sexist, wore fur, or used autotune... or whatever his cause was, that would be integrity, but to completely dismiss a genre for no reason is just being close-minded.

Hmm, you have conveniently ignored all the plausible explanations people have given for why this would not be close-mindedness.

i would argue that case - considering he worked on AB and that album sounded great

i think the problem on HTDAAB is that too many cooks were in the kitchen and several mixes went to and from Arnie Acosta and the recording studios.

one of the tricks in the mastering is to listen to the album on low volume to pick out subtleties in the tracks within each song.

I always thought Lillywhite should have done the whole thing, not the "who is who" army of U2 producers.

Back
Top Bottom