Apparently it leaked last week!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Funnily enough I think I checked Napster last week but don't think it was the mobile version. Then I just assumed that both versions would sell the same. Wasn't available btw.

Some guy, on his first post, showed up and posted a link to some music store saying that there were 1 minute longer prieviews there. We all went semi-bananas and started to hear. Then someone, out of the blue, said "Hey, I'm buying the songs. They're downloading!" And we all melted. :D:D

lol

i said

AtomicBono said:
hay guyz

it sez buy mp3

fyi

Credit goes to my friend on AIM though, he was the one who noticed they said "Buy"

as for Napster...wow. Shows how completely irrelevant it is. I thought we searched every corner of the internet when Alan Cross said a leak was imminent.

I've never even heard of Napster Mobile.

we're a bunch of dummies if that napster mobile thing is true.

i wouldn't be totaly shocked if universal purposely made it available because they knew a real leak was about to happen, if only to get a little cash and some publicity out of the inevitable leak.

also perhaps they knew a lower sound quality leak was about to hit, so they released this for the above reasons and to kill off the bad quality leak.

:shrug: just ideas... if one of the above isn't true that some dude in australia just got himself shit canned.

I'm surprised last night's leak (if you can call Universal selling the album early a "leak") hasn't been bigger news outside the U2 community. I mean, isn't this a big deal? I would have expected to at least see a brief blurb about it in Billboard, Rolling Stone, NME, etc., but so far I haven't seen anything.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the Napster Mobile this is 100% accurate -- I was on the atu2 forum when the guy said it was out there. He wouldn't say where, claiming he'd be banned (atu2 is really anal about that stuff), no one ended up believing him after a while, but I guess this report in hindsight, he had it.

Whatever -- the REAL leak was on interference -- because a leak is when the people get it. Also, I'm glad I could pay for it. That makes it totally legit.

I'm surprised last night's leak (if you can call Universal selling the album early a "leak") hasn't been bigger news outside the U2 community. I mean, isn't this a big deal? I would have expected to at least see a brief blurb about it in Billboard, Rolling Stone, NME, etc., but so far I haven't seen anything.

There was something on forbes about the repercussions of leaking.

Apparently the mp3's sold on the getmusic are a transcode. Somebody noticed the spectral analysis and discovered it.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the Napster Mobile this is 100% accurate -- I was on the atu2 forum when the guy said it was out there. He wouldn't say where, claiming he'd be banned (atu2 is really anal about that stuff), no one ended up believing him after a while, but I guess this report in hindsight, he had it.

Whatever -- the REAL leak was on interference -- because a leak is when the people get it. Also, I'm glad I could pay for it. That makes it totally legit.

I remember something about that. He claimed he had it, but people eventually didn't believe him. :doh::doh:

If this is for real, then to quote Headache..........This blows!

I could have had less sleepless nights :sad: :lol:

it's out on a ton of the BT sites, so it's well beyond the rabid fan base. Universal would be smart to authorize its sale on iTunes.

If atu2 is anal about that stuff...why the hell didn't he just come here in the first place???

Imagine a universe in which the leak pun thread never happened!

This story, written by atu2.com is pathetic. I'm not really sure what the atu2's problem is...

atu2 spent the evening banning people from it's forum yesterday for offering "more info about the leak" via personal email contact.

Then atu2 begins generating hits to the site by hosting stories about how the U2 album leaked, where, when, why, etc. So atu2 is cashing in on the leak-scandal and helping the "pirating" by doing so.

This makes atu2 a hipocrate.

Then atu2 breaks the story that atu2 actually knew of an earlier leak via Napster. atu2 says that an atu2 member informed him of the leak last week. WELL... I wonder if that member was banned? Yeah, right.

So then, why is atu2 banning members for actions paralleling that of its own? Hipocrasy.

atu2 should be ashamed as well for being so arrogant and high and mighty in regard to disallowing members to post about "contacting one another privately for album leak discussion", and then using news of the leak to generate hits to the site.

atu2 is so fantastically great and ethical that atu2 felt all smug and fancy knowing that he and one other person knew of the leak last week and kept it from the U2 fan world.

In my own mind, I'm 99% sure that atu2 and the 'other person' downloaded the leak last week and have been enjoying it ever since.

atu2 is so worried about legal action against his site... well, interference.com has been carrying out the same kind of leak info hosting for years now and it's still alive and kicking.

atu2 disgusts me and I'm so very glad that interference is around.

*** sorry for the negative post in a time of happiness (of the new U2 release/leak).

I can't comment on @U2 as I only go there for the comic. :) I find this place more fun and entertaining overall. Matt McGee is a good guy though, so if there is a problem, just write him. But be nice - just state that you feel there is a bit of a double standard and that you are confused by the actions.

The story is trickling into the mainstream press.

New U2 album leaked online

CANOE -- JAM! Music - Artists - Album Review: NO LINE ON THE HORIZON

What The U2 Leak Says About Music Biz - Forbes.com

Thanks for those links. I'm guessing the reason this story isn't even more widespread is because most of the music press has contacted Universal or U2's managment for a comment on the leak... and Universal and U2 aren't commenting. At least not yet.

If atu2 is anal about that stuff...why the hell didn't he just come here in the first place???

Imagine a universe in which the leak pun thread never happened!

As a contributor to a few of those puns, I'm also upset. To think I could still have my dignity intact!

Seriously, what does this mean? That they were sourced from a lossy source?

It means that the mp3's were originally a lower bit rate....Probably 192 kbps. Then they were re-encoded at a higher bit rate and sold. So basically you have lower quality mp3's disguised as something better than they are. Anything transcoded is always deleted from the site.

Today I sent an email to a famous Dutch radioDJ (Giel Beelen), had a conversation with him and I sent him the link that I got from two fans here (thanks!!!), so he was quite happy with it.
Then at 19.30 I turned on national television and there the DJ was, talking about the leak and showing fragments of the CD on tv! That's great isn't it?

It means that the mp3's were originally a lower bit rate....Probably 192 kbps. Then they were re-encoded at a higher bit rate and sold. So basically you have lower quality mp3's disguised as something better than they are. Anything transcoded is always deleted from the site.

So you're saying that Universal Australia was selling low-quality mp3s? Wow.

Hmmm... Well there are apparently two torrents out there. One has 256 kbps tracks and the other is 320 kbps. The originals from getmusic were the 256 and the 320 were probably transcoded from these. So I wonder which version they did their spectral analysis on.

I can't figure out why an online music store would be selling transcoded tracks, but then I can't figure out why they would need to load the tracks into the system two weeks in advance either.

I still wonder whether this leak was intentional. :hmm:

Hmmm... Well there are apparently two torrents out there. One has 256 kbps tracks and the other is 320 kbps. The originals from getmusic were the 256 and the 320 were probably transcoded from these. So I wonder which version they did their spectral analysis on.

I can't figure out why an online music store would be selling transcoded tracks, but then I can't figure out why they would need to load the tracks into the system two weeks in advance either.

I still wonder whether this leak was intentional. :hmm:

Yes, the 320 was probably transcoded a SECOND time. It doesn't matter how many times you transcode something, you are STILL getting the original quality which probably hovers around 192. I have no idea why they would be selling transcoded mp3's but the proof is in the spectral analysis.

Back
Top Bottom