Anyone think the new album might come out as an apple application for iphone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drewgie

The Fly
I've noticed a few acts putting out I-phone promo applications. ie pink and snow patrol. Just in the last week. I remember something being said about plans for the new album and that the new album would be presented in a new way...forget the exact quote. I think it would be awesome to have this as an option as well as all the traditional formats, where the whole application opens and you can pick tracks and read liner notes and have nice graphics and lyrics. I know it has been done before for computers but not so much for mobile devices.

But then again maybe they should just worry about the music...but I do think it would be a pretty giood way to buy an album for your i pod, i phone or ipod touch. Would you buy it like this if you could?

Andrew

U2 are borderline sell-outs as it is. This would be the point of no return.

I give this a big thumbs down. :down:

I don't have an iPhone, so I wouldn't bother with it at all. But if I did have an iPhone, I might consider it if it was free. Either way, I'd still go out and buy the CD, along with the Super Deluxe version of the CD.

U2 are borderline sell-outs as it is. This would be the point of no return.

I give this a big thumbs down. :down:

If you are referring to their iPod commercial stunt that they did for Vertigo then you obviously are speaking for yourself, because the majority of people will tell you that it was an absolutely brilliant marketing idea, which further helped propel the band's music into the mainstream.

One could argue that trying to appeal to the mainstream is selling out, but ONLY if you are trying to appeal to the mainstream during the making of the album NOT the marketing of the album. There's nothing about any of U2's songs that sounds like they are appealing to mainstream. I mean for God's sake, two of U2's most over played radio songs are about as far from the main stream as they come: WOWY and ISHFWILF.

As Bono says in the making of the JT video about the song WOWY: "It just sound normal because you've heard it about a thousand times, but its an odd sounding song"

Don't fault a band for wanting to get everyone to want to listen to their music. Thats not selling out, thats "getting the word out". Big difference.

If you are referring to their iPod commercial stunt that they did for Vertigo then you obviously are speaking for yourself, because the majority of people will tell you that it was an absolutely brilliant marketing idea, which further helped propel the band's music into the mainstream.

One could argue that trying to appeal to the mainstream is selling out, but ONLY if you are trying to appeal to the mainstream during the making of the album NOT the marketing of the album. There's nothing about any of U2's songs that sounds like they are appealing to mainstream. I mean for God's sake, two of U2's most over played radio songs are about as far from the main stream as they come: WOWY and ISHFWILF.

As Bono says in the making of the JT video about the song WOWY: "It just sound normal because you've heard it about a thousand times, but its an odd sounding song"

Don't fault a band for wanting to get everyone to want to listen to their music. Thats not selling out, thats "getting the word out". Big difference.

I'll keep this short for sake of not getting off topic, but I am referring to the last two albums. That music is mainstream, to me. And therefore, I think they borderline sold out - safe, radio, popular, mainstream music. The iPod commercial to me was another stunt.

The band made the video to propel their music into the mainstream. Well, those last two crap albums were already in the mainstream. And they made the video to propel the album to get sold and make even more money.

But that is my opinion. I realize of course I am outnumbered, but save a few tracks here in there, the 00's have been nothing but commercial, sell-out garbage to me. I'm a U2 fan of the 90's.

"Dad, this sounds like nothing the radio's playing." - Holly Evans, upon hearing HTDAAB for the first time.

"Beautiful Day was us competing with Britney Spears" Larry, 2000 = "We want to compete with the charts, because I do think we're better" Bono, 1983

I'll keep this short for sake of not getting off topic, but I am referring to the last two albums. That music is mainstream, to me. And therefore, I think they borderline sold out - safe, radio, popular, mainstream music. The iPod commercial to me was another stunt.

The band made the video to propel their music into the mainstream. Well, those last two crap albums were already in the mainstream. And they made the video to propel the album to get sold and make even more money.

But that is my opinion. I realize of course I am outnumbered, but save a few tracks here in there, the 00's have been nothing but commercial, sell-out garbage to me. I'm a U2 fan of the 90's.

Fair enough, we are all entitled to our opinions...thats the beauty of this site

A couple of quick points:

1. Had THIS post preceeded your previous post then you wouldn't have sounded like such a Homer trying to encite negative responses. Making a broad statement as if to say that is fact without providing any valid proof to back up that statement is vastly different from expressing a personal OPINION.

2. Of course they made the video to propel the music to the mainstream, why else would they make a video? Don't fool yourself by trying to believe some of the bullshit that musicians spew. Bands make videos to get their music out to people for a variety of reasons. One of those reasons is to make more money by selling more records, which in turn allows them to make more albums. You can't deny that. They don't go on promo tours and events because its fun. So lets put that to rest.

3. Just because you think the songs in their last two albums are "garbage", which I believe some are indeed...it doesn't mean they are "mainstream". Its an easy and very LAZY statement to make because it involves absolutely NO intelligent and thoughtful argument to back up the statement. Sorry, dude but unless you have the time or effort to give at least a couple of specific reasons why you think the last TWO albums were "mainstream" then you just come across sounding like some bitter never satisfied music fan. That doesn't help your credibility on this board.

Hey man, Its not like you have to gush over everything U2. There are plenty of people on this board (me included) who think that some of their music is aboslute garbage...but atleast we can articulate why we think that way and not just throw out generic lazy phrases like: "sellouts" or "mainstream". You may not have the time or the will to edify me on your stance, which is fine. But at least understand how your words are coming across.

Unfortunately, I'm not going for credibility on this site or trying to win the 'most popular' or 'best debater' award. That stuff means nothing to me. And as you said, I don't have the time or the will to edify you on my stance. I come on this site maybe once a day to briefly read things, and if you look at my posts per day for how long I have been here, I don't do much.

And if I came across as a Homer, I don't care.

Because it's my opinion, it doesn't mean it's a fact or a correct statement. It's just that - an opinion. And because it's an opinion, and we all have them, that person tends to believe their opinion is correct. We all do it.

I'll try to explain why I feel the way I do because I know I'm not the only one on this site who feels this way.

First of all, the most obvious thing - listen to all the songs from the 90's and all of the songs from the 00's. There is a drastic style change in both music and lyrics. The 90's were darker, lyrically and musically. The 00's have been more uplifting, hopeful, and are more friendly to the ear.

Because of this, I have many friends who believe U2 is nothing but shit. I take the time to defend U2 about pre-00's, since that is really all they know, but agree with them that the music from the 00's suck ass.

Take for instance the Billboard Charts. For the most part, in my opinion, everything on the Billboard Charts is based off of popularity - how many fans are buying the albums and single and how many people are requesting the songs on the radio stations and the frequency of spins. In 00's, U2 experienced a HUGE influx in charts that they hadn't really since Joshua Tree. U2 was all over the radio. It was because of U2, and U2 alone, that I got sick of radio in 2000/2001 when I heard Beautiful Day all of the fucking time. I actually called my local radio station and begged them to stop playing that song. Then I just stopped listening to radio. Popularity doesn't equate to quality. We all know this. And we know that mainstream and quality don't really go hand-in-hand.

Is it not fact, or maybe it's just theory, that after Pop and what U2 called a disastrous tour that followed, that they got scared and wanted to win their fans back? To me, wanting to win fans back as opposed to just creating music for music, is borderline selling out and borderline making music that is mainstream, that is accessible to the ear. Zooropa and Pop aren't exactly accessible to the ear - with their dark musical sounds and lyrics overall unfriendly sounds. Therefore I never hear Zooropa and Pop on the radio, now that I'm listening to it since Beautiful is not played 50 million times a day anymore. All I hear are Beautiful Day, Walk On, Stuck, Vertigo, All Because Of You, HMKMKMKM (if the DJ is feeling generous that day), Mysterious Ways, One and then all of the singles from the 80's.

And finally, Grammy Awards. I used to be interested in this and excited when U2 won, but then a few years ago I discovered that the Grammy voters are biased and a lot of it, while not being based off sales or charts, is curiously related to sales and charts. Maybe the Grammy voters had class at one point, especially since Zooropa won Best Alternative Album, which to me is a shocker, cause that's clearly not based off of charts or sales. But they hadn't won a Grammy (aside from ZooTv Sydney) since then until the 00's with the last two albums. Then they win 12 combined on those two albums. That's when I said, ya know what, the Grammy voters truly aren't voting on the best songs or albums, the Grammy's are nothing but a popularity contest on mainstream music based off of charts and sales. I see it year after year now, because clearly, ATYCLB was not the best rock album of the year, and HTDAAB surely was not album of the year, when you look at quality. I suppose if you look at charts and sales, then yes, maybe it was.

But had U2 won a grammy for a quality album, like they did with Zooropa, an album that was different, instead of winning with ATYCLB and HTDAAB, both of which are friendly to the ear, Adult Top 40 regurgitation, then I wouldn't have an issue with the grammy's.

You've got high school kids going out and buying U2 There's been a huge influx of new U2 fans, a lot under the age of 18, since 2000. I really doubt you saw that when Zooropa and Pop came out. The majority of this population, especially in America, don't want to give the time to different music. They buy what is on the radio. And suddenly album sales shoot up because the radio stations belt out single after single of U2 for ATYCLB and HTDAAB. After Discotheque, I only heard other Pop songs on college radio.

I really can't think of any more to say, but this is why I think U2 are starting to sell out and are regurgitate mainstream music. I have not been happy with the last two albums. And if the next commercially released album, and this rumored digital-only released album are in the same vein, third time is the charm, I'm done with U2. But that's a different topic of conversation.

This is why I feel the iPod application would be a bad idea for U2. To me, it seems like their musical decisions for the last 8 years are being based off of the best way to get more fans and make more money instead of just being about the music.

To me, it seems like their musical decisions for the last 8 years are being based off of the best way to get more fans

:lol: haha, yeah, it's been that way since "U2 3", they would still play in the garage or some basement after work if it was just about the music...

I love how U2 sold out in this decade; dear god if Pop was a success you'd say that was the sell out. They made a dance influenced record when dance was at its height, dear god what a non-commercial move! You guys dislike the album, fine but please stop with the sell-out crap. The band made poppier music so what? Maybe they like it? No they couldn't possibly it's all about money, U2 hate the music they make and really want to make another Pop, it's only money that makes them do otherwise...this forum is insane at times...

At least we're getting something different next time. :wink:

We get something different and a new group of fans will start bitching; it's happened with TUF, AB, ATYCLB and if they change their style it will happen on the next album.

The next album could be the best ever and it will be the exact same on here, except the people hating on the band will just change

:lol: haha, yeah, it's been that way since "U2 3", they would still play in the garage or some basement after work if it was just about the music...

I agree.

U2 wanted to be BIG from the very beginning.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to gain new fans.

Unfortunately, "old" fans often think that "new" fans don't deserve U2, instead they think they own the band.

I was just reading about this iphone app crap in our transport rag today. And I sincerely pray that this does not happen.

The article spoke about bands like Fall Out Boy, who released the album like this, and did away with the "outdated" CD booklet and made it an iphone app only.

That is fucking bullshit. I hate this techno crap. I am hoping against hope that U2 have the sense to at the very least give us a normal hard copy, no gimmicks, no strings attached, no shit. Why do this? Why? Seriously, what's the point?? Embrace technology? Who gives a shit? What's it going to do for U2? What about the billions of people who don't have an iphone and just want a goddam proper copy of the CD???? Too hard to ask?

/:banghead:

The next album could be the best ever and it will be the exact same on here, except the people hating on the band will just change

This is the view I've had ever since joining; it's the nature of the members here. It could be sensational but the exact same cycle will happen. The cycle was posted somewhere else, by LEmel I think, and it was spot on, I'd love for someone to find it. It starts out with unconditional love and then descends into what we have now.

One of the best threads I've ever seen was in this forum, not a common poster, a few years ago, and he ran through each album and criticised it and then praised the previous one... if someone could find that.

This is the view I've had ever since joining; it's the nature of the members here. It could be sensational but the exact same cycle will happen. The cycle was posted somewhere else, by LEmel I think, and it was spot on, I'd love for someone to find it. It starts out with unconditional love and then descends into what we have now.

One of the best threads I've ever seen was in this forum, not a common poster, a few years ago, and he ran through each album and criticised it and then praised the previous one... if someone could find that.

It's so right, 90% of people will love it in the first week to month and then after that people will start to turn on it, most likely not the same group as last time but there will be a group

I know someone who thinks U2 lost it when they made TUF and only started liking them again with the Bomb :lol: I guess that's the problem with a band who changes styles so much, everybody is not going to like everything. I just wish people would not make up crappy excuses as to why.

I was just reading about this iphone app crap in our transport rag today. And I sincerely pray that this does not happen.

The article spoke about bands like Fall Out Boy, who released the album like this, and did away with the "outdated" CD booklet and made it an iphone app only.

That is fucking bullshit. I hate this techno crap. I am hoping against hope that U2 have the sense to at the very least give us a normal hard copy, no gimmicks, no strings attached, no shit. Why do this? Why? Seriously, what's the point?? Embrace technology? Who gives a shit? What's it going to do for U2? What about the billions of people who don't have an iphone and just want a goddam proper copy of the CD???? Too hard to ask?

/:banghead:

I really see no problem with U2 releasing it as an iPhone app as long as it's not exclusive but we won't have to worry about that. I mean Paul isn't going to cut off 95% of their sales revenue; if he did that he'd have to spell his name with a regular S again :wink:

I really see no problem with U2 releasing it as an iPhone app as long as it's not exclusive but we won't have to worry about that. I mean Paul isn't going to cut off 95% of their sales revenue; if he did that he'd have to spell his name with a regular S again :wink:

I agree with all of this

an iPhone app would be badass. Why not? Why not embrace technology AND release it traditionally?

of course I'm biased because I'm planning on getting an iPhone

but still ... :p

It's so right, 90% of people will love it in the first week to month and then after that people will start to turn on it, most likely not the same group as last time but there will be a group

I know someone who thinks U2 lost it when they made TUF and only started liking them again with the Bomb :lol: I guess that's the problem with a band who changes styles so much, everybody is not going to like everything. I just wish people would not make up crappy excuses as to why.

:up: I don't have a major issue with it, I just don't like to see people expressing opinions so harshly, like LMJ is the "shittiest person in rock".

:lol:

He couldn't do that.

We get something different and a new group of fans will start bitching; it's happened with TUF, AB, ATYCLB and if they change their style it will happen on the next album.

Spot on there. :up:

Unfortunately, I'm not going for credibility on this site or trying to win the 'most popular' or 'best debater' award. That stuff means nothing to me. And as you said, I don't have the time or the will to edify you on my stance. I come on this site maybe once a day to briefly read things, and if you look at my posts per day for how long I have been here, I don't do much.

And if I came across as a Homer, I don't care.

Because it's my opinion, it doesn't mean it's a fact or a correct statement. It's just that - an opinion. And because it's an opinion, and we all have them, that person tends to believe their opinion is correct. We all do it.

I'll try to explain why I feel the way I do because I know I'm not the only one on this site who feels this way.

First of all, the most obvious thing - listen to all the songs from the 90's and all of the songs from the 00's. There is a drastic style change in both music and lyrics. The 90's were darker, lyrically and musically. The 00's have been more uplifting, hopeful, and are more friendly to the ear.

Because of this, I have many friends who believe U2 is nothing but shit. I take the time to defend U2 about pre-00's, since that is really all they know, but agree with them that the music from the 00's suck ass.

Take for instance the Billboard Charts. For the most part, in my opinion, everything on the Billboard Charts is based off of popularity - how many fans are buying the albums and single and how many people are requesting the songs on the radio stations and the frequency of spins. In 00's, U2 experienced a HUGE influx in charts that they hadn't really since Joshua Tree. U2 was all over the radio. It was because of U2, and U2 alone, that I got sick of radio in 2000/2001 when I heard Beautiful Day all of the fucking time. I actually called my local radio station and begged them to stop playing that song. Then I just stopped listening to radio. Popularity doesn't equate to quality. We all know this. And we know that mainstream and quality don't really go hand-in-hand.

Is it not fact, or maybe it's just theory, that after Pop and what U2 called a disastrous tour that followed, that they got scared and wanted to win their fans back? To me, wanting to win fans back as opposed to just creating music for music, is borderline selling out and borderline making music that is mainstream, that is accessible to the ear. Zooropa and Pop aren't exactly accessible to the ear - with their dark musical sounds and lyrics overall unfriendly sounds. Therefore I never hear Zooropa and Pop on the radio, now that I'm listening to it since Beautiful is not played 50 million times a day anymore. All I hear are Beautiful Day, Walk On, Stuck, Vertigo, All Because Of You, HMKMKMKM (if the DJ is feeling generous that day), Mysterious Ways, One and then all of the singles from the 80's.

And finally, Grammy Awards. I used to be interested in this and excited when U2 won, but then a few years ago I discovered that the Grammy voters are biased and a lot of it, while not being based off sales or charts, is curiously related to sales and charts. Maybe the Grammy voters had class at one point, especially since Zooropa won Best Alternative Album, which to me is a shocker, cause that's clearly not based off of charts or sales. But they hadn't won a Grammy (aside from ZooTv Sydney) since then until the 00's with the last two albums. Then they win 12 combined on those two albums. That's when I said, ya know what, the Grammy voters truly aren't voting on the best songs or albums, the Grammy's are nothing but a popularity contest on mainstream music based off of charts and sales. I see it year after year now, because clearly, ATYCLB was not the best rock album of the year, and HTDAAB surely was not album of the year, when you look at quality. I suppose if you look at charts and sales, then yes, maybe it was.

But had U2 won a grammy for a quality album, like they did with Zooropa, an album that was different, instead of winning with ATYCLB and HTDAAB, both of which are friendly to the ear, Adult Top 40 regurgitation, then I wouldn't have an issue with the grammy's.

You've got high school kids going out and buying U2 There's been a huge influx of new U2 fans, a lot under the age of 18, since 2000. I really doubt you saw that when Zooropa and Pop came out. The majority of this population, especially in America, don't want to give the time to different music. They buy what is on the radio. And suddenly album sales shoot up because the radio stations belt out single after single of U2 for ATYCLB and HTDAAB. After Discotheque, I only heard other Pop songs on college radio.

I really can't think of any more to say, but this is why I think U2 are starting to sell out and are regurgitate mainstream music. I have not been happy with the last two albums. And if the next commercially released album, and this rumored digital-only released album are in the same vein, third time is the charm, I'm done with U2. But that's a different topic of conversation.

This is why I feel the iPod application would be a bad idea for U2. To me, it seems like their musical decisions for the last 8 years are being based off of the best way to get more fans and make more money instead of just being about the music.

I think you're a fan of the wrong band then. Plain and simple.

Back
Top Bottom