Anton Corbijn Film (Linear) featuring new music of U2!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, no sadly not. I made the same mistake. The 10 songs on the album will be the same versions like in the movie.

Thankfully, we worked on a solution that saw LINEAR keeping its own running order and songs, whilst only changing edits for the 10 songs, those that are also on the new U2 record, to their newly created identities. Thus LINEAR is a very interesting hybrid version of No Line On The Horizon, partly how it was in May 2008 and partly how it is now. Tomorrow is always partly yesterday. Apparently."
Anton Corbijn
January 2009

Not exactly. He says: Thus is hybrid. If it's hybrid cannot be the same what is on the album.

Not exactly. He says: Thus is hybrid. If it's hybrid cannot be the same what is on the album.

He says all that was changed on the songs is the edit times. By hybrid he means, old tracklist (story) newly recorded songs.

This sucks. They should have allowed 2 audio tracks -- one with the original sounds of the songs and the new one. This way we'd know how badly U2 screwed up "Crazy Tonight", GOYB, Stand Up Comedy, and Breathe by trying to make them mainstream.

I want more music! By the end of the year, Bono! You promised!

I'm afraid the only hybrid element is keeping the original running order; he says the songs were re-edited to be like the December 2008 version of the album.

Edit: someone already explained this more succinctly.

cool, i was wondering that thanks.

I will definately want a hard copy eventually, so will be picking up the box set. Will pick up the magazine or digipack the day it comes out, because I know from experience that Canada gets the box sets about 1-3 weeks after everyone else...:sad:

oh dont worry here in mexico we get the box set at a very high price that the rest of the world :sad:

Right, same versions as album. I almost fainted when I thought we would hear alternate versions of Breathe and Magnificent (ie the beach clips without the beach). Oh well.

Well maybe not hearing the alternate versions of the songs on "Linear" is a good thing because God knows there would be endless speculation from people like me on how badly U2 fucked this song up or that song up....or how this song has improved from they way it was,etc.

I mean I have already done that with the NLOTH song... bitching about how the alternate version of the song should have been the album version....now I am slowly coming around to liking the album version more than I first did.

Well maybe not hearing the alternate versions of the songs on "Linear" is a good thing because God knows there would be endless speculation from people like me on how badly U2 fucked this song up or that song up....or how this song has improved from they way it was,etc.

I mean I have already done that with the NLOTH song... bitching about how the alternate version of the song should have been the album version....now I am slowly coming around to liking the album version more than I first did.

:up:

by U2 releasing Native Son, they killed Vertigo, at least for their mega-fans. same goes with All Because Of You and Fast Cars/Xanax And Wine.

as much as i'd love to hear alt versions, i'd rather this album not be up for that kind of debate, and thank goodness the album version of NLOTH is better than the alt version.

by the way, how has "Winter" not leaked yet? i want to make my "Linear" tracklist complete.

U2 fans will like a less version of a song over the album version after they listen to the album version for the past year we're a fickle bunch

Insight on LINEAR

Didn't c this posted yet:

U2 : No Line On The Horizon

An ANTON CORBIJN moving image/SEE-SAW FILMS PRODUCTIONSaid TaghmaouiMusic by U2 with Brian Eno and Danny LanoisLine ProducerRosa RomeroEditorJames RoseArt DirectorMark DigbyMake-Up & HairAaf CorbijnCinematographerMartin RuheExecutive ProducersBono, Adam Clayton, The Edge, Larry Mullen JrStory by Anton Corbijn/BonoProduced by Iain Canning, Emile Sherman
Directed by Anton Corbijn

01. UNKNOWN CALLER
02. BREATHE
03. WINTER
04. WHITE AS SNOW
05. NO LINE ON THE HORIZON
06. FEZ-Being Born
07. MAGNIFICENT
08. STAND UP COMEDY
09. GET ON YOUR BOOTS
10. MOMENT OF SURRENDER
11. CEDARS OF LEBANON

Titles written by U2/Brian Eno/Danny Lanois and published by Universal Music Publishing BV/Opal Music, except in North America by Upala Music Inc/BMI* "Cedars of Lebanon" includes a sample of the recording "Against The Sky" performed by Harold Budd and Brian Eno from the album "The Pearl" (Virgin/EMI 1984 - ENOCD13). Licensed courtesy of Virgin Records Limited.The composition "Cedars of Lebanon" contains elements from "Against the Sky" written Harold Budd and Brian Eno and published by Universal Songs of Polygram International Inc / Toyon Music / Opal Music London. Used by permission. All rights reserved.© 2009 U2 Limited. The copyright in this film and artwork is owned by U2 Limited and is under exclusive licence to Mercury Records Limited in the UK, Interscope Records in the US, and Universal Music Group for the rest of the world.

"Late May 2008 - at a band meeting I was introduced to the new songs. The reason for letting me in so early on this sonically and lyrically different U2 record is that the band have this idea for me to make some kind of moving imagery to go with the record. The thinking is that as a lot of people buy music from the internet and are likely to hear this on a computer or mp3 player, their listening pleasure could be heightened by visuals. Instead of just seeing a pack shot of the record sleeve, or a still photograph of the band for 45 plus minutes, as is often the case now, why not have a moving image for the duration of the record? It is not essential to the record, you can either watch it or ignore it. Brilliant! As always, U2 are thinking ahead, not so much having one foot in tomorrow's door, as having built the house to which that door is the entrance.

"Bono talked me through the songs and the record as a whole. For the first time he had created characters for this record, and wrote lyrics about their lives or from their perspectives. The record had an essence of time to it, most songs had a number or time references connected to them, as if going through a 24 hour period. Although I didn't want to translate the lyrics visually, I felt that making use of one the characters Bono wrote about would be interesting. It became the Parisian motorcycle cop of northern African descent, who threw it all in to go back to see his girlfriend in Tripoli. I was going to make a silent movie, with a touch of a story to it. We prepped late June-early July, shot late July, edited in August and were ready for the record's November release. Fantastic! However, it was at this point that the band decided to go back into the studio and work on the record a bit more. As U2 never do anything in half measures, the record that emerged from the studio in late December 2008 was a very different one than the one I'd made images for. Not only had the running order changed, now there were completely new songs on the record while another song had gone, new lyrics without the characters had emerged, and different sounds dominated the songs I had worked on. Disaster! Thankfully, we worked on a solution that saw LINEAR keeping its own running order and songs, whilst only changing edits for the 10 songs, those that are also on the new U2 record, to their newly created identities. Thus LINEAR is a very interesting hybrid version of No Line On The Horizon, partly how it was in May 2008 and partly how it is now. Tomorrow is always partly yesterday. Apparently."Anton Corbijn
January 2009

According to Edge/Bono, they sent Corbijn what they thought was going to be the final version of the album last summer.

nope, Edge said it's not finished yet and will be on the next album. the version of Linear is what they thought they would have released in '08.

Any other tidbits from the Edge on the "next album?"

I want this to materialize so badly.:drool:

So much for those claims about it having 14 songs.

I think - otherwise the Coribjn-Text wouldn't make much sense- There will be indeed 11 Songs and some instrumental stuff also. So perhaps really three more instrumental songs plus Winter (and Bono sining).

The main-actor said in an interview some time ago it will have a running to of 90 Minutes. Newer Sources claims it will have a running time around 60 Minutes. :hmm:

60 minutes seem to short for 14 songs. Even if they only play the songs with nothing in between.

Can't wait for the movie, though.

nope, Edge said it's not finished yet and will be on the next album. the version of Linear is what they thought they would have released in '08.

This is how inaccurate rumours are created. Edge was asked if the song would be in the next album and said maybe - a very indefinite answer. All of a sudden it becomes a confirmed rumour?

So, the policeman sets his bike on fire at the beginning, and then goes on the trip to africa, to his girlfriend.... That's why the burning bike picture is on the cover of Linear. I thought he gets in a traffic accident in the end of the story..

So, the policeman sets his bike on fire at the beginning, and then goes on the trip to africa, to his girlfriend.... That's why the burning bike picture is on the cover of Linear. I thought he gets in a traffic accident in the end of the story..

Where do you got that from? I read something similar at the german board - Source?
The guy also wrote that the main actor met some strippers with mustaches.. :huh: and at the end takes a little boat trip to africa...

Back
Top Bottom