Anton Corbijn Film (Linear) featuring new music of U2!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On that link (French website), they also say that the only song not in the film is Crazy Tonight.

Yeah - Anton probably mobbed it out of his film :hmm: or it wasn't finished when they shot the movie - perhaps "Winter" included on the album (and also the order of the songs) was the first version of the album - perhaps we get older mixes of the songs...?

U2 | ‘Linear’ d’Anton Corbijn : les premières photos | Sucking Rock And Roll

Future owners of certain editions of No Line On The Horizon can watch a movie directed by Anton Corbijn.

Digipack editions magazine and give the right to download it. In this month's box, it will be available on DVD. We speak of course of Linear film, directed by Anton Corbijn, who is principal performer Said Taghmaoui and whose soundtrack consists of almost all the songs from No Line On The Horizon.

Indeed, according to the first people to have seen, only I'll Go Crazy If I Do not Go Crazy Tonight does not appear in the film. However, two or three instrumentals just be added to other songs.

Until they can watch the movie, here are the first pictures that are drawn

Classified information read on the forum about U2tour.de package standard edition of the CD:
- The = sign is embedded in the cabinet, there is not on the cover
- The photo of the back of the box, you know it is the same as the Box of vinyl singles. (Http://www.nolineonthehorizon.com/U2_NLOTH_7boxset_aw.pdf)
- On the CD there is a picture of Fez without the group.
- The booklet is composed of only black and white photos taken in Fez and a beach (Beach Sandymount, Dublin).

Coté credits song:
No Line On The Horizon, Moment Of Surrender, FEZ-Being Born, and Cedars Of Lebanon - music: U2, Brian Eno and Danny Lanois, lyrics: Bono.

Magnificent - music: U2, Brian Eno and Danny Lanois, lyrics: Bono and The Edge,

Unknown Caller - words and music: U2, Brian Eno and Danny Lanois.

I'll Go Crazy If I Do not Go Crazy Tonight, Get Your Boots On, Stand Up Comedy and Breathe - Music: U2, Lyrics: Bono.

White As Snow - music: traditional, arrangements and lyrics: U2 with Brian Eno and Danny Lanois.

Look what we got here:

Anton Coribjn about Linear!!!!!!

U2 : No Line On The Horizon

for easier discussion:

"
"Late May 2008 - at a band meeting I was introduced to the new songs. The reason for letting me in so early on this sonically and lyrically different U2 record is that the band have this idea for me to make some kind of moving imagery to go with the record. The thinking is that as a lot of people buy music from the internet and are likely to hear this on a computer or mp3 player, their listening pleasure could be heightened by visuals. Instead of just seeing a pack shot of the record sleeve, or a still photograph of the band for 45 plus minutes, as is often the case now, why not have a moving image for the duration of the record? It is not essential to the record, you can either watch it or ignore it. Brilliant! As always, U2 are thinking ahead, not so much having one foot in tomorrow's door, as having built the house to which that door is the entrance.
"Bono talked me through the songs and the record as a whole. For the first time he had created characters for this record, and wrote lyrics about their lives or from their perspectives. The record had an essence of time to it, most songs had a number or time references connected to them, as if going through a 24 hour period. Although I didn't want to translate the lyrics visually, I felt that making use of one the characters Bono wrote about would be interesting. It became the Parisian motorcycle cop of northern African descent, who threw it all in to go back to see his girlfriend in Tripoli. I was going to make a silent movie, with a touch of a story to it. We prepped late June-early July, shot late July, edited in August and were ready for the record's November release. Fantastic! However, it was at this point that the band decided to go back into the studio and work on the record a bit more. As U2 never do anything in half measures, the record that emerged from the studio in late December 2008 was a very different one than the one I'd made images for. Not only had the running order changed, now there were completely new songs on the record while another song had gone, new lyrics without the characters had emerged, and different sounds dominated the songs I had worked on. Disaster! Thankfully, we worked on a solution that saw LINEAR keeping its own running order and songs, whilst only changing edits for the 10 songs, those that are also on the new U2 record, to their newly created identities. Thus LINEAR is a very interesting hybrid version of No Line On The Horizon, partly how it was in May 2008 and partly how it is now. Tomorrow is always partly yesterday. Apparently."
Anton Corbijn
January 2009"

http://www.nolineonthehorizon.com/credits.html

I'm in absolutly happy-Mode Now. We get some different versions of the Songs!!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look what we got here:

Anton Coribjn about Linear!!!!!!

for easier discussion:

"
"Late May 2008 - at a band meeting I was introduced to the new songs. The reason for letting me in so early on this sonically and lyrically different U2 record is that the band have this idea for me to make some kind of moving imagery to go with the record. The thinking is that as a lot of people buy music from the internet and are likely to hear this on a computer or mp3 player, their listening pleasure could be heightened by visuals. Instead of just seeing a pack shot of the record sleeve, or a still photograph of the band for 45 plus minutes, as is often the case now, why not have a moving image for the duration of the record? It is not essential to the record, you can either watch it or ignore it. Brilliant! As always, U2 are thinking ahead, not so much having one foot in tomorrow's door, as having built the house to which that door is the entrance.
"Bono talked me through the songs and the record as a whole. For the first time he had created characters for this record, and wrote lyrics about their lives or from their perspectives. The record had an essence of time to it, most songs had a number or time references connected to them, as if going through a 24 hour period. Although I didn't want to translate the lyrics visually, I felt that making use of one the characters Bono wrote about would be interesting. It became the Parisian motorcycle cop of northern African descent, who threw it all in to go back to see his girlfriend in Tripoli. I was going to make a silent movie, with a touch of a story to it. We prepped late June-early July, shot late July, edited in August and were ready for the record's November release. Fantastic! However, it was at this point that the band decided to go back into the studio and work on the record a bit more. As U2 never do anything in half measures, the record that emerged from the studio in late December 2008 was a very different one than the one I'd made images for. Not only had the running order changed, now there were completely new songs on the record while another song had gone, new lyrics without the characters had emerged, and different sounds dominated the songs I had worked on. Disaster! Thankfully, we worked on a solution that saw LINEAR keeping its own running order and songs, whilst only changing edits for the 10 songs, those that are also on the new U2 record, to their newly created identities. Thus LINEAR is a very interesting hybrid version of No Line On The Horizon, partly how it was in May 2008 and partly how it is now. Tomorrow is always partly yesterday. Apparently."
Anton Corbijn
January 2009"

I'm in absolutly happy-Mode Now. We get some different versions of the Songs!!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

not sure if that actually means that the songs are different sounding. and where are the other two instrumentals? hmm....should all make sense soon. :)

I read that to mean we will get the album versions of 10 songs, in a different order plus another couple of tracks which were cut...

Interesting, thanks. It sounds like to me though, that they updated Linear with the songs on the album that we currently have.

whilst only changing edits for the 10 songs, those that are also on the new U2 record

Sounds like we are still getting Winter + a few new instrumentals though! :hyper:

Interesting, thanks. It sounds like to me though, that they updated Linear with the songs on the album that we currently have.

Yes. I think you're right. Would have been cool to hear also the earlier versions of the songs - which sounded, like Coribjn said, so different.

Now we finally have the main storyline:

"It became the Parisian motorcycle cop of northern African descent, who threw it all in to go back to see his girlfriend in Tripoli."

can't wait.

listening to the album right now with the Linear track order (without Winter of course).

UC starting things off with the birds and the build up of the song is pretty sweet.

sorry just looked again:

Anton Corbijn's film "Linear" - access to download and keep.

If you've bought the hardback book box format, magazine format or digipack format of No Line On The Horizon, simply insert your CD into the drive of your computer, fill in your details and download or watch the Anton Corbijn film "Linear".

cool, i was wondering that thanks.

I will definately want a hard copy eventually, so will be picking up the box set. Will pick up the magazine or digipack the day it comes out, because I know from experience that Canada gets the box sets about 1-3 weeks after everyone else...:sad:

listening to the album right now with the Linear track order (without Winter of course).

UC starting things off with the birds and the build up of the song is pretty sweet.

yeah, it's like a different album, maybe even better than original NLOTH :hmm:

im confused...it states everywhere we can download this film but on this new site it says we can view it there? Might better to just pick up the box set now...

"Anton Corbijn's film "Linear" - access to download and keep.

If you've bought the hardback book box format, magazine format or digipack format of No Line On The Horizon, simply insert your CD into the drive of your computer, fill in your details and download or watch the Anton Corbijn film "Linear".
"

yeah, it's like a different album, maybe even better than original NLOTH :hmm:

"Anton Corbijn's film "Linear" - access to download and keep.

"

Hmmm...Once you download it, isn't it on your hard drive though??? Meaning you can watch it whenever? I wonder if it is iPod compatible?

One thing is certain. He says we'll get to hear how the album was in May last year so that will surely be cool.

Yeah I think this is the coolest part, I love alternate versions and seeing what got better and what got worse.

One thing is certain. He says we'll get to hear how the album was in May last year so that will surely be cool.

No, no sadly not. I made the same mistake. The 10 songs on the album will be the same versions like in the movie.

No, no sadly not. I made the same mistake. The 10 songs on the album will be the same versions like in the movie.

Right, same versions as album. I almost fainted when I thought we would hear alternate versions of Breathe and Magnificent (ie the beach clips without the beach). Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom