Anton Corbijn Film (Linear) featuring new music of U2!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All of this sounds fascinating. One thing that confuses me a bit, however, is this: how would Corbijn have shot videos (or parts of a movie) to line up with songs that had not yet been completed (and some of which may not even have been started)? Any ideas?

thats a good one! so that could also mean that some of the songs used in his movie were changed afterwards for the CD...

All of this sounds fascinating. One thing that confuses me a bit, however, is this: how would Corbijn have shot videos (or parts of a movie) to line up with songs that had not yet been completed (and some of which may not even have been started)? Any ideas?

Everyone here seems to think that this film will contain the songs from the album + 3 instrumentals.
But wouldn't it make much more sense if this is a complete different movie with other u2 music.
At least that's how I understand it. ok, the guy said he heard the album several times, but I do think (hope) that he's not gonna be in all the new album's videoclips (we'll find out soon eh?)

BTW this guy is acting in the new episodes of Lost as well..

that's was also a point I asked myself. As said before: Maybe a raw cut - and then in december, january the final cut with the final music-versions. Must be something like this - if this 14 songs are NOT extra songs. Some shoots were last summer - so long time ago. Let's room for Speculations...

Love the regular cd artwork.. The band walking on a beach spaced apart.

I saw that too...very atmospheric quality to it. I love beach scenes. I think they really nailed the design on this album.

Who knows? But I'm guessing he and the band worked together regarding the "feeling" of each track and kind of worked from there. I don't think its that impossible if you have some sort of feeling or emotion in mind when filming.

^ to me this means the movie was made based in 14 demoes that were likely contenders, 3 ended up being cut, but they fit the movie.

If it was 3 instrumentals as well, then they would be on the album as linking music.

I think that the film will be like the 'directors cut' of the album

Everyone here seems to think that this film will contain the songs from the album + 3 instrumentals.
But wouldn't it make much more sense if this is a complete different movie with other u2 music.
At least that's how I understand it. ok, the guy said he heard the album several times, but I do think (hope) that he's not gonna be in all the new album's videoclips (we'll find out soon eh?)

BTW this guy is acting in the new episodes of Lost as well..

The way the actor was talking, it was pretty clear these are the songs on the album--he was clearly saying they are videos (but all linked together in one movie) accompanying the songs. So it is likely the only new songs we'll get will be the extra ones, possibly instrumentals and/or left-overs.

I think this sounds really interesting and very innovative :up: If it means that all these will be the actual videos that's great--what better way to make this album really hold together? That would be quite unheard of too.

:up: If it means that all these will be the actual videos that's great--what better way to make this album really hold together?

No, that doesn't mean that - if I get you right (my english isn't very well). There will be "other" videos for MTV and stuff - if this ist right, that these are the 11 songs from the album + 3 additional songs.

Alex Courtes (Vertigo, COBL) - and not Coribjn - has shot the video for U2's first single in London which will be aired on MTV and other music channels.

Yes there is a bit of a contradiction there as it seems like there is a different video for GOYB at least, shot by someone else. I'm just relaying what the actor was saying in the interview--that these would be the videos for the songs on the album. But he might not be entirely clear himself what is the exact idea behind the whole thing :shrug:

whos to say that Corbijn didnt film the thing and then added songs to it when they were finished or near finished later on in the process. music doesnt usually get put to film until the end from what i understand.

whos to say that Corbijn didnt film the thing and then added songs to it when they were finished or near finished later on in the process. music doesnt usually get put to film until the end from what i understand.

Yes - but here this should be more the Video-directon case, or not? the Tarantino way. Possible - Corbijn worked with Pre-Versions of the Songs. Made a rough cut - and overworked it later.
If seomebody here is from ungarn - Coribjn will be showing his works in Budapest from April to July!

I just read a preview on a Dutch blog. A couple of days ago the Dutch media had a listening session, organised by Universal. Apart from listening to the album, they also got to see Linear (which was introduced by Anton Corbijn himself).
The blog is here (and yes, it's in Dutch): Werners Wereld: Het nieuwe album van U2: gaat dat zien!

Main points:
- One of the extra songs is Winter! The author describes it as very Coldplay-esque ( :giggle: )
- According to Anton, the album tells the stories of five persons (who will meet up at one time). He took one of those persons, an African police agent wanting to go home, as the storyline for his movie.
- The songs in the movie are not in the same sequence as on the album.

The more I read about it, the less I can wait! :hyper:

Very interesting. I really, really hope the music from the Dallas clip on U2.com ends up in there somewhere since it seems that it's not on the album.

I'm confused. Isn't Winter supposed to be White as snow? WAS will be on the Brothers soundtrack. Maybe the Dutch guy is confusing something here.

Apart from that, great news, cannot wait to see the movie! :up:

But what's that ... U2 ripping off Coldplay? :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom