American Soul.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With soe being soi's companion album I think they can get away with sampling different tracks. Well they can anyway really can't they.

Everyone raves about fez on here when there's a sample from get on your boots in there that everyone hates.

I don’t think people have a problem with sampling your own work, it’s the fact they chose to sample one of their worst songs. At least, that’s my problem.

“You and I are rock and roll” shouldn’t need a lot of explaining as to why that’s ghastly.

They have to be, right?!

Not sure if I’m overcooking things here, but I was pointing out how ridiculous that person was for pointing out that “that lenny kravitz song had a real 60’s vibe”. That’s because it IS from the 60’s (fine, it’s from 1970 but whatever), it’s not a Lenny Kravitz song and I’m not quite sure how anyone didn’t know that.

Then again, if Carolina was taking the michael then I’ll be the first to throw my hands up and say fair play.

Not sure if I’m overcooking things here, but I was pointing out how ridiculous that person was for pointing out that “that lenny kravitz song had a real 60’s vibe”. That’s because it IS from the 60’s (fine, it’s from 1970 but whatever), it’s not a Lenny Kravitz song and I’m not quite sure how anyone didn’t know that.

Yeah, I got that, and was agreeing with you.

The song is average. That's it. But love it or hate it I'm always fascinated by how bands see albums and songs. Do they think all songs are great. They must right? They probably had 100 songs over 3 years and picked 13 or maybe squeezed 100 songs into 13 tracks.

My point is I find it hard to believe the band thinks American Soul is on par with The Blackout. Stand up Comedy is better than whatever they left off. I never heard a band admit it-- but be great to say we had 4 good songs and you need 7 more to have an album.

Also bono and edge wrote the worst musical of all time and as far as I'm concerned never saw Spider-Man before. Sorry I'm still not over it.

Love this song. It's loose. U2 dont normally do loose well. Going to be a monster, live.

Also, "you are rock n roll" is n't nearly the sin y'all are making it out to be. Dont take it so seriously.. if you can rock out to "I'm outta controooooll" then you can handle "you are rock and roll"

Last edited:
Love this song. It's loose. U2 dont normally do loose well. Going to be a monster, live.

Also, "you are rock n roll" is n't nearly the sin y'all are making it out to be. Dont take it so seriously.. if you can rock out to "I'm outta controooooll" then you can handle "you are rock and roll"

I'm glad one other person likes it. :lol:

When I first heard it I just thought it was *strange*, and that's come to be the main thing I enjoy -- the fact that everything about it just feels 'out there' for them, down to the structure. The bubbling synths churning around under the fuzzed-out surface are cool. Also, I love that wailing guitar part.

Exactly - anyone actually complaining about that line hasn't really been listening to U2 for the past 40 years. "I want to tear down the walls that hold me inside" is genius but "you are rock and roll" is where you draw the line? Grow up and get over it. Stop being pretentious jerks.

Exactly - anyone actually complaining about that line hasn't really been listening to U2 for the past 40 years. "I want to tear down the walls that hold me inside" is genius but "you are rock and roll" is where you draw the line? Grow up and get over it. Stop being pretentious jerks.

did you just learn this "pretentious" word you keep bringing up? you're using it as though it were a shiny new toy.

you're the bloke who closed atu2's forum, right? out of curiosity, how do you get through the day when you spend so much of your time upset about what anonymous/online people have to say about a fucking band that isn't remotely invested in you? it's a one way street. surely you know they couldn't give a toss what anyone has to say about them on a message board such as this?

i mean... they make noise. people are bound to have an opinion about it, and more often than not it's going to be a negative one. that doesn't make anyone pretentious.

you masquerading as the Divine Shield for U2 on the other hand might be, if it wasn't so utterly laughable

did you just learn this "pretentious" word you keep bringing up? you're using it as though it were a shiny new toy.

you're the bloke who closed atu2's forum, right? out of curiosity, how do you get through the day when you spend so much of your time upset about what anonymous/online people have to say about a fucking band that isn't remotely invested in you? it's a one way street. surely you know they couldn't give a toss what anyone has to say about them on a message board such as this?

i mean... they make noise. people are bound to have an opinion about it, and more often than not it's going to be a negative one. that doesn't make anyone pretentious.

you masquerading as the Divine Shield for U2 on the other hand might be, if it wasn't so utterly laughable

Sorry, it is the best and most accurate word to describe the behavior. I will be sure to check the thesaurus next time so as not to offend your grammatical sensibilities.

And no, I have never had any connection at atu2. I have read these forums for many years but did not officially join or decide to post, primarily because the negativity coming from people who falsely call themselves fans of the band was getting out of control, even by Interference standards.

Sorry, it is the best and most accurate word to describe the behavior. I will be sure to check the thesaurus next time so as not to offend your grammatical sensibilities.

And no, I have never had any connection at atu2. I have read these forums for many years but did not officially join or decide to post, primarily because the negativity coming from people who falsely call themselves fans of the band was getting out of control, even by Interference standards.

my mistake then, i thought you were someone else.

to the rest of your post, who honestly gives a fuck whether someone is "falsely" calling themselves a fan? i mean... how can that bother you on any level?

do you think people initially registered here to post shit about u2? if so, that has to surely be the absolute smallest of percentages. i signed up in 2000 when i had a very different opinion of the band. the reason i'm posting so much these past couple of days, in case you're wondering, is because i'm killing time at work as i've handed in my notice! i literally would not be replying to this nonsense if i had anything better to do.

as much as i rag on u2 post 2000, i will always be deeply appreciative of their two decades of work before that which will go down with me as perhaps some of my favourite music of all time. people are entitled to feel let down by a band who makes the sort of music they've been making lately, when they've got the catalogue of material that they have which indicates this is a band capable of making very, very special music. i've been foolish in expecting them to turn it around, but it's only because i've enjoyed their old stuff so much that i bother to have any hope in them at all.

if that makes me a false fan in your books, i couldn't give a fuck. but neither should you

Yep. I used to moderate a music forum for a shall we say - reasonably popular beat combo and there was always one of these types who thinks in such absolutes and was fond of terms like 'not a real fan if...', mostly they were amusing and benign... well. Mostly. The band in question were rather visible on the forum albeit incognito and just mocked the fuck out of people like that. It was brilliant. They didn't need self-appointed cheerleaders "defending" them over dah bad words dah bad people said...

Did someone say shiny new toy?

I remember a couple of years ago this kid on the bus had a shiny new toy and he was showing it off to everyone as if he was superior to them because no one else had it but him.

After about a week of his antics, the bus driver finally took the shiny new toy away from the kid and wouldn't let him have it. He told the kid that his parent's would have to come and get it if they wanted the toy back.

Come to find out, and unlucky for the bus driver, the kid's father was a straight up gangster. So the G-man came to the school bus to pick up the kid's shiny new toy one day at the bus stop. When he asked for the toy the bus driver went on and on about how bratty his kid was. Finally after hearing enough, the kid's father pulled a machete out of his overcoat right there in front of us, and cut the poor bus driver into 75 pieces where he sat in the blood stained drivers seat.

Now the school board has outlawed both machetes and shiny new toys on all of their bus routes.

"Get over it" is such an irritating phrase. To me, it's a lazy way to accuse someone of something vague. Also, how is it being pretentious to not like a lyric?

That "you / I are rock and roll" line always made me cringe a little and felt corny. How is it being pretentious when a lyric strikes someone as being cheesy?

Am I pretentious for not liking the lyrics "hot as a hairdryer in your face" or "we're like butter on toast"?

Maybe it's just a pretty cheesy lyric.

Volcano's a pretty good tune, overall, though. Not sure about American Soul yet but at first listen it was somewhere around SUC. I hope it gets better with repeat listens but I doubt it. I would have been happier if they had just put Glastonbury on the album. This isn't like Lady With A Spinning Head or something where that one song had the origins of several phenomenal other songs in it...

Last edited:
This is the latest entry into U2’s pantheon of mediocre guitar rock inspired by the Jack White documentary. I don’t care much for riffy U2 but the track does have a stomping energy and some interesting background elements. I find the Boots drumfill more jarring than the chorus lift from Volcano. Refujesus? Bono’s lyrics have been terrible for awhile now (affording clunky vocal melodies) so that line was basicallly in one ear out the other. Barely noticed much less cared.

So again, as somebody who likes these songs and thinks that yea, there's certainly a handful here who would shit on anything the band does at this point... I'd like to point out that the only one being pretentious here is you.

Specifically when you call people out for being "false fans" because they dare to criticize the band. I like the songs, but think Bono currently looks like Geddy Lee if he ate Elton John. Does this make me a false fan? Because he looks like an ass with those glasses and highlights?

Please enlighten me, oh fearless leader.

I really hate Fanfire. I ordered the album yesterday when it came out. But I didn't want to download the singles on my work PC. So I waited until I got home. It let me download The Best Thing (which I already had) and Get Out of Your Own Way, but the Blackout just kept timing out, and American Soul went to a page that said the file wasn't on the server. WTF? So just tried again now, and Blackout says I've already downloaded it 3 times - uh, no. And the American Soul link says the song isn't available to download until the album comes out. Argh.

The line from Streets is superior because it points to a relatable human experience, an impulse that leads to action. "You are rock and roll" is a failed bumper sticker.

I make no apologies for having standards.

Honestly if one line in a classic song doesn't get the hate it deserves, it's 'More than a lot', which is just so transparently an effort to cram in something that works with the rhyme.

You probably need to be a song as good as 'One' to pull that off, and I do think that's one of the issues with 'Refujesus' - if the song were BETTER then it would be less irritating. Or, to use less of an unfair comparison, the personal names in The Blackout probably annoy me MORE than this but I love the song enough that I can forgive them more easily.

Yes, i'll admit. I'm one that am much more forgiving of lyrical stumbles in 90's material, because IMO the music usually more than made up for it and it could be easily excused.
Now, if you have forced, odd lyrics, and so so music to go with it... Then its easy to just ditch the whole thing.

Get Out, i really like the song, but a couple lyrical spots that hit me wrong and it just keeps me from just enjoying it the whole way through.
Same goes for American Soul. I think the verse section especially at the beginning is really cool, great groove. The chorus i'm fine with, the volcano thing doesn't bother me, i get it. But when the song gets to the 3:30 mark - "a call to action" "Let it be unity, let it be community" etc... just grates on me and messes up an otherwise really cool, kick ass song. Still not bad by any stretch, just not as good as it could be.

I really hate Fanfire. I ordered the album yesterday when it came out. But I didn't want to download the singles on my work PC. So I waited until I got home. It let me download The Best Thing (which I already had) and Get Out of Your Own Way, but the Blackout just kept timing out, and American Soul went to a page that said the file wasn't on the server. WTF? So just tried again now, and Blackout says I've already downloaded it 3 times - uh, no. And the American Soul link says the song isn't available to download until the album comes out. Argh.

American Soul was up by mistake for a short time. Only way to get it right now is to request it in its request thread.

If anyone is interested. My link with the new songs is still up. I have also done some edits/mixes in there if you want to check them out.

The latest in an "enhanced" Blackout with a little extra punch where it needs it. Subtle but works i think. Also shortened the Easy on me bits by half.

Also, an American Soul with the most offensive lyrics removed. Community, charity, blah blah refujesus... So it that is the worst part of the song for you (as it is for me) enjoy this version!

https://spectrio.egnyte.com/fl/QyoqWm6OOA

American Soul was up by mistake for a short time. Only way to get it right now is to request it in its request thread.

If only this was a work-in-progress version of American Soul, and the final version that appears on the album on 1st December actually has its own chorus. One can dream.

?spot on,do people just want a variation on streets all the time?

Meh. I always thought the pre-chorus of Volcano ("Been out in the wild") was WAY catchier than the chorus. "You are rock and roll" was pretty weak the first time around, certainly not worth using in another song 3 years later.

Edit: I mean, I guess "You are rock and roll" is Volcano's bridge, not chorus. But whatever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom