American Soul.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, I'll say it:

I don't care that Tedder is all over it, I still think Love is Bigger is a beautiful song. Giving it some love after initially having it be a skipper.

I wish they hadn't done AS last night, especially as the first song. Megaphone worked great in a stadium or arena, not so much last night. Plus Bono's voice was clearly gone, the reverb or background "noise" that accompanied AS with the graphics were annoying. I couldn't even tell if it was a decent performance or not until I listened to both songs again this morning on good headphones. The sound was good, but it just didn't come across on the small screen. Twitter reception to AS was the usual 50-50 love it/hate it.

With all that said, after I don't know how many listens, Summer of Love and Little Things still turn me into a puddle, in addition to being U2 at the top of their game. The whole thread from Summer to Landlady ought to be on one side of my vinyl, cuz perfection would all be on one side.

Book of My Heart, 13, and Love is All are close behind.

Bono's voice is the heart of this album, in top form. Gorgeous, atmospheric, dreamy. Love it.

OK, I'll say it:

I don't care that Tedder is all over it, I still think Love is Bigger is a beautiful song. Giving it some love after initially having it be a skipper.

I wish they hadn't done AS last night, especially as the first song. Megaphone worked great in a stadium or arena, not so much last night. Plus Bono's voice was clearly gone, the reverb or background "noise" that accompanied AS with the graphics were annoying. I couldn't even tell if it was a decent performance or not until I listened to both songs again this morning on good headphones. The sound was good, but it just didn't come across on the small screen. Twitter reception to AS was the usual 50-50 love it/hate it.

With all that said, after I don't know how many listens, Summer of Love and Little Things still turn me into a puddle, in addition to being U2 at the top of their game. The whole thread from Summer to Landlady ought to be on one side of my vinyl, cuz perfection would all be on one side.

Book of My Heart, 13, and Love is All are close behind.

Bono's voice is the heart of this album, in top form. Gorgeous, atmospheric, dreamy. Love it.

Tedder is not listed as having any involvement in Love is Bigger. It was produced exclusively by Jacknife Lee.

I think its one of the best songs on SOE. Its an awesome rock tune with great lyrics and spirit that fit our time and our country. totally awesome. It is typical modern era U2, i.e. Vertigo, Volcano, etc. but with a harder edge and better lyrics. With the Kendrick Lamar intro, its the centerpiece of the 1st half of the record.

To those who don't appreciate it, well, there are plenty of other great songs on the album. I'm sure American Soul will do well with non-U2 fans however, and that the band will play it often on the upcoming tour.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

I think its one of the best songs on SOE. Its an awesome rock tune with great lyrics and spirit that fit our time and our country. totally awesome. It is typical modern era U2, i.e. Vertigo, Volcano, etc. but with a harder edge and better lyrics. With the Kendrick Lamar intro, its the centerpiece of the 1st half of the record.

To those who don't appreciate it, well, there are plenty of other great songs on the album. I'm sure American Soul will do well with non-U2 fans however, and that the band will play it often on the upcoming tour.

I couldn't disagree with your first sentence more. Or your second sentence. There is some truth to the third sentence, and some madness. Fourth sentence doesn't seem true to me, it may to others.
Second par, first sentence: true. Last sentence - if this is true, and it may well be, then great. Good on U2 for knowing the market a shitload better than me. And good on them for succeeding.
Like you said, this album has heaps going on and is very good. I'm happy as a clam with this album. I can absolutely accept a few songs per album I don't like. I just wish they wouldn't promote the songs I perceive to be their worst, and promote them with such bombast and cheese.

I couldn't disagree with your first sentence more. Or your second sentence. There is some truth to the third sentence, and some madness. Fourth sentence doesn't seem true to me, it may to others.
Second par, first sentence: true. Last sentence - if this is true, and it may well be, then great. Good on U2 for knowing the market a shitload better than me. And good on them for succeeding.
Like you said, this album has heaps going on and is very good. I'm happy as a clam with this album. I can absolutely accept a few songs per album I don't like. I just wish they wouldn't promote the songs I perceive to be their worst, and promote them with such bombast and cheese.

Exactly. They could have gone very political last night doing Summer of Love and Red Flag Day, but done it with the music alone. No need for videos or megaphones.

IMO, this is the biggest stinker on the album. It's the paint-by-numbers "hard rock" that U2 has sprinkled on the last few albums. It's got simplistic, repetitive lyrics ("hey, let's sing about the idea of America!") with the same guitar sound that most of the designated hard rock songs have had since about HTDAAB.

On an album with so many great songwriting efforts, this track just comes off as lazy.

I hated this song so much at first and it has since grown on me, but the lyrics still bug me. Bono actually made a song out of a Bonoism (“America isn’t a country, it’s an idea!”). :| The political content is too obvious, much like Native Son. We get it, America should stop being so mean let all the refugees in, etc.

The music, however, is better than Volcano. It’s more interesting and there’s a lot more going on. Volcano sounds a little bland in comparison.

I'm bringing this thread back. I fully recognize this song is the most hated on SOE in this place and for me it's in my bottom half (I rate it a 5.5/10).

However, last night this performance was one of the highlights of the show. I would say it was the second best performance of the new songs(I love Blackout but the energy they had during AS blew Blackout away...in part because they are stuck in the catwalk for. Lack Out but it is what it is).

Is it a blow job to America as many say here? Fuck if I know and I don't care because the drums and Edges guitar sounded amazing during this song. I mean, I hate the mega phone just as much as anyone but the song was performed so well that I'll give him a pass(on this song).

They turned a mediocre studio cut into a solid and engaging live version. This was definitely a highlight for me.

I liked it live, too. Very pleasantly surprised. Even when the giant flag blocked my view during Boston 1

The music, however, is better than Volcano. It’s more interesting and there’s a lot more going on. Volcano sounds a little bland in comparison.

Ehh, I disagree. I think Edge is doing more interesting things with the guitar during the verses on Volcano compared to the generic crunch of AS.

Adam shines a lot more on it as well, and Bono gets to stretch himself more.

Just saw it live. And it kills live. Cc: my hard on with 50 stars on it.

Clerks got the full flag view. Volcano at e-stage in 2015 was easily better and nowhere near as forced.

America is an idea. It’s not a place. So let’s write a song about it. Okay America it’s not a place. It’s a sound. What happened to it’s an idea??? Oh fucked it up again.

I would have to see more live performances to fully appreciate it, but it's currently tied for my least favorite song on Experience ("The Showman" would have made an interesting b-side, but yeah). The chorus is musically bland.

I don't mind his use of the megaphone. It offers voice enhancement and a visual prop, even though it was virtually Scott Weiland's trademark.

Rattle and Hum and The Joshua Tree kind of drums the American influences to death. Bono's political activism offers no shortage of "Hey America, you're great and all, but I need X Y and Z..." By the time you get a song saying the same stuff, you don't get much out of it.

I would have to see more live performances to fully appreciate it, but it's currently tied for my least favorite song on Experience ("The Showman" would have made an interesting b-side, but yeah). The chorus is musically bland.

I don't mind his use of the megaphone. It offers voice enhancement and a visual prop, even though it was virtually Scott Weiland's trademark.

Rattle and Hum and The Joshua Tree kind of drums the American influences to death. Bono's political activism offers no shortage of "Hey America, you're great and all, but I need X Y and Z..." By the time you get a song saying the same stuff, you don't get much out of it.

Hey, Mac is back :wave: hope all is well!

Back
Top Bottom