American Soul.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hopefully, you can see the irony in that your post was nothing but negative.

What the hell is going on?!
I’ve seen about five newer members in the last few days come through and trash on the other members and the forum itself.

If you’re new, cool. I love that we are getting more members here. But please use some common sense, that going into a new place and berating it and other people there, really is a shitty thing to do, and more importantly guarantees that you’re not going to enjoy it.

Redhill is an excellent example. He had a pretty bad run of conflict in the forum. But, after settling in and earning a little cred, he’s one of my favorite members.

Don’t worry so much about what other people are doing. Bring your own knowledge, info, news, opinions (positive OR negative) and you too will find it a great place to be.

I’ve seen about five newer members in the last few days come through and trash on the other members and the forum itself.

If you’re new, cool. I love that we are getting more members here. But please use some common sense, that going into a new place and berating it and other people there, really is a shitty thing to do, and more importantly guarantees that you’re not going to enjoy it.

Redhill is an excellent example. He had a pretty bad run of conflict in the forum. But, after settling in and earning a little cred, he’s one of my favorite members.

Don’t worry so much about what other people are doing. Bring your own knowledge, info, news, opinions (positive OR negative) and you too will find it a great place to be.

Yep. Odds on it is atu2ers who are too used to having to censor the word dick.

That was kind of you to say.

A pretty large chunk of American Soul was just played on ABC's Saturday night college football game!

I don’t mind American Soul at all - it’s grown on me quite a bit and it’s pretty decent. It won’t be a skippable track and that’s good enough for me. That said, Volcano is superior. That would have made a kick ass single.

I don’t mind American Soul at all - it’s grown on me quite a bit and it’s pretty decent. It won’t be a skippable track and that’s good enough for me. That said, Volcano is superior. That would have made a kick ass single.

I agree. I think it would have played better than Miracle for sure. Have EBW first, Volcano second, The Troubles third?? Possibly California...

Anyway, it’s working it’s way to not being skippable for me either, but it’s close.
Volcano will definitely take its place in my Innocence and Experience mix. :).

Well said. This is a hard place to integrate yourself into. I think these recent folk berating some established members just need to trust every person here is a genuine pathetically knowledgeable U2 fan. U2 has a massive body of work, so not all fans will like the same stuff (one bozo on this site even dislikes One and Disappearing Act - wtf?).

But yeah. You said it better womanfish.

Well said. This is a hard place to integrate yourself into. I think these recent folk berating some established members just need to trust every person here is a genuine pathetically knowledgeable U2 fan. U2 has a massive body of work, so not all fans will like the same stuff (one bozo on this site even dislikes One and Disappearing Act - wtf?).

But yeah. You said it better womanfish.

No man, you’re right. We’re all here because, let’s be honest, who else would have us?! At least our all out U2ey ness.

Just appreciate the people here. We all have different personalities. Get to know them, and it’s like joining a really lame gang :) but we love it.

No, I would seriously like to have the titles of your books please. If they are only half as fascinating to me as the people who have made their home on this forum I would love to read them.

I'm hesitant to link to my professional work and identity given the amount of vitriol sent my way lately by people with whom I've never interacted before. But I've posted about it elsewhere on the forum and on U2gigs before.

Real photo of Axver at work:
View attachment 11581

This will never be topped as the greatest Australian meme of all time.

So I know a lot of people here don't want to read this but let me be the first to put it out there:

There is a pretty good chance that American Soul is going to be the show opener(at least for US shows).

Blackout would be better but they might make that an encore opener and put a song like American Soul as the show opener.

Start playing the full Kendrick speech(starting with GOOYOW that leads into American Soul) and then kick the show off.....

Then you can go get your Refu-Jesus shirt at the concession stand.

This is plausible, but then Bono did Kendrick's bit at the end of GOOYOW for MTV. I wonder which song it will be associated with on tour, or if they will play the two songs together. It would work as a transition from a few personal songs before GOOYOW into a darker political section after American Soul.

I'm hesitant to link to my professional work and identity given the amount of vitriol sent my way lately by people with whom I've never interacted before. But I've posted about it elsewhere on the forum and on U2gigs before.

Fair enough. Pity because I was only interested in your work and not at stalking lovely people.

But for the people interested in my opnion let's talk shop about music because after reading a lot of responses that equal the activity on a forum with knowledge or interest in the band U2 I will give you mine:

I don't like SOI. Seriously!! I think it's for a large part bland, uninteresting and a lot of noise about nothing. To my ears it starts with the worst first single ever with "The miracle of bla bla bla", get's not much better at the middle part with "Raised by whatever" and that turt Volcano" and it ends with The Troubles which is ok I guess. Only highlights of SOI: Every breaking wave, Cedarwood Road, Sleep like a baby tonight and Crystal ballroom. To be fair: on tour most songs played from the album were pretty fantastic but album versions do nothing for me.

Again my opinion comparing SOI to SOE: YTBTAM is a bit to yoyfull to my ears and would have prefered SfiFi mix but miles better then that Miracle turt. American Soul is one of my favourite tracks right now. Works very good after GOOYOW with Kendrick spoken word, production has lot of good shit going on with good headphones on, but could have done with some less repeated You and I are Rock and Roll parts which are just silly but miles better then bland and boring Volcano demo. There you have it from a long time U2 fan which just as most of you talks mostly out of his behind most of the time.

Favourite U2 tracks: The fly and Kite (by far);
Favourite album: Achtung Baby but then the work in progress demos from Berlin version and Unforgettable Fire which is king of all;
Favourite member: Larry because he never talks like he is going to tell you how the world should be and just plays music;
History on this forum: member through the years under different names but never felt the need to defend or attack u2 songs. I made a black and white exception just for you today.

That's it. Looking forward to ridiculous good new U2 album in two weeks and see you in an arena around the world.

Fair enough. Pity because I was only interested in your work and not at stalking lovely people.

But for the people interested in my opnion let's talk shop about music because after reading a lot of responses that equal the activity on a forum with knowledge or interest in the band U2 I will give you mine:

I don't like SOI. Seriously!! I think it's for a large part bland, uninteresting and a lot of noise about nothing. To my ears it starts with the worst first single ever with "The miracle of bla bla bla", get's not much better at the middle part with "Raised by whatever" and that turt Volcano" and it ends with The Troubles which is ok I guess. Only highlights of SOI: Every breaking wave, Cedarwood Road, Sleep like a baby tonight and Crystal ballroom. To be fair: on tour most songs played from the album were pretty fantastic but album versions do nothing for me.

Again my opinion comparing SOI to SOE: YTBTAM is a bit to yoyfull to my ears and would have prefered SfiFi mix but miles better then that Miracle turt. American Soul is one of my favourite tracks right now. Works very good after GOOYOW with Kendrick spoken word, production has lot of good shit going on with good headphones on, but could have done with some less repeated You and I are Rock and Roll parts which are just silly but miles better then bland and boring Volcano demo. There you have it from a long time U2 fan which just as most of you talks mostly out of his behind most of the time.

Favourite U2 tracks: The fly and Kite (by far);
Favourite album: Achtung Baby but then the work in progress demos from Berlin version and Unforgettable Fire which is king of all;
Favourite member: Larry because he never talks like he is going to tell you how the world should be and just plays music;
History on this forum: member through the years under different names but never felt the need to defend or attack u2 songs. I made a black and white exception just for you today.

That's it. Looking forward to ridiculous good new U2 album in two weeks and see you in an arena around the world.

Thanks Frenchie!
Love to get to hear your background.

So weird that we have a lot of similar favorites from U2’s past work, but are completely opposite on SOI.
Other than loving EBW and Crystal Ballroom

Under two weeks people!

It's
Are there only complainers and cry babies left on this forum? Reading these responses is like listening to a record that is stuck. Pathetic! If you want Achtung Baby part 2 you better leave now because you will never get it. Just enjoy the current music, give it a chance and if you don't stop bitching about it. There is probably enough music that you will like. U2 is never going to give you what you want. They are making music that they enjoy so learn to live with it.

Most of what you read in EYKIW is a variation of one of about 6 to 9 comment types.

The "stop whining and be grateful/all you want is Achtung Baby" meme is the one I despise the most. Along with the inevitable psychoanalyzing why someone dislikes a song.

It's the universal right of music and film fans on the internet to b*tch about the things they love, so just stop. This is even worse than Mercy Derangement Syndrome.

Thanks Frenchie!
Love to get to hear your background.

So weird that we have a lot of similar favorites from U2’s past work, but are completely opposite on SOI.
Other than loving EBW and Crystal Ballroom

Under two weeks people!

To be clear I think SOI is a bland and unremarkable record. But in a live setting I loved most of the songs (except The Miracle and Raised by dogs which I will unfortunately never enjoy). Iris and Song for someone are terrific live for example. Listen to the red nose day version, an absolutely lovely version). So the songs are not bad but just don't work for me on the album.

Talking about U2's past work in my youth I was the nerd who bought the hugely overpriced live bootleg cassettes and cd's behind the counter of record stores and who went to the international record convention to score the crazy rare items. I traded in my Rattle and Hum video cassette three times because I didn't like the sound of Edge's guitar on Streets and blamed it on the video cassette. I was only finally happy when I bought a cd with 6 live songs from the movie that was only intented for film distributors. Kick ass sound from Bad on that one. Probably my favorite live version of that song.

Absolutely love the Achtung Baby jam sessions with an unbelievable Edge playing Wake up death man (the one with in the verse the words "Sugarcane"). That Edge solo in demo version of Acrobat is magic, the demo of the fly is godlike and I could go on. I remember being shocked that Bono called those recordings goboldegoog or something by the way.

But absolutely delighted we are getting a new record in a couple of weeks. Love the stripped down and clean structure of GOOYOW and layers of sound in American Soul. Fun thing is they sound the best if you listen to them like being one song connected with Kendrick spoken word. And the best is yet to come so very excited.

I'm excited, too! I really enjoy "American Soul's" sense of swagger. And GOOYOW is a layered, textured beauty! So far I think this album's miles ahead of SOI.

Just had listen #2 of this song and I thought I had heard it somewhere else before (aside from "Volcano"). I'm sure it's already been acknowledged, but I was shocked when I revisited the song "Glastonbury" and realized it's the same chorus with a couple new words. I definitely prefer a song this edgy to say "rock and roll" instead of "pocket full of sunshine". It's growing on me. I didn't enjoy the political overtones at first, but the music is just too damn good!

I like that we're getting nitpicky over whether something is a single or not when the traditional idea of a single is basically dead.

If it's released as a stand-alone tune on Spotify (i.e. it shows up as "American Soul off American Soul by U2"), it might as well be a single to the ordinary listener.

Speaking of the ordinary listener...in perusing the American Soul hashtag on Twitter, the posts are uniformly positive, in fact people are saying they love it. I don't want to assume the ordinary listener is on Twitter, but I haven't seen a single negative post like you see on this forum. Not a judgment about who's right or wrong, just an observation that the twitter-sphere feels very differently about this song.

It’s modern!

I agree and I think that's what I like about the new songs, even though they aren't AB quality. They sound modern. They sound like U2, but they don't sound like U2. It's what makes me like GOOYOW the best out of the bunch so far.

Speaking of the ordinary listener...in perusing the American Soul hashtag on Twitter, the posts are uniformly positive, in fact people are saying they love it. I don't want to assume the ordinary listener is on Twitter, but I haven't seen a single negative post like you see on this forum. Not a judgment about who's right or wrong, just an observation that the twitter-sphere feels very differently about this song.

I suspect the awareness and usage of the American Soul hashtag skews towards a certain sort of person and opinion, though...

(Hell, I'm part of one of the most-followed U2 accounts and I didn't know there was an American Soul hashtag.)

The start of this song(before the chorus) is really great. The chorus is okay, nothing special. The bridge that culminates in the infamous "refu-Jesus" line is solid and the song ends okay.

The part where Edge starts singing is pretty cool but I don't know what the hell he is saying, anyone have an idea?

I can't say where this song will end up with me and it might come down to how it translates live. I don't hate this song, in fact I'm finding that I'm going back to it often over the past few days and liking it a bit but that could be only due to it being the newest track.

Let me also say, we have a lot of new members in this forum recently it seems and not one has taken the name....Ned,Fred, Zach, Jack or Refu-Jesus!

I'm disappointed.

Its just a really, really naff song isn’t it.

There are so few layers to peel away from this simplistic tune littered with every gross Bonoism he’s been spewing for decades now. I cant be the only non American here who is absolutely finished with Bono’s incessant praising of the US. Throwing “soul” into the title for good measure is the icing on the cake. That has to be a word, perhaps ahead of love, grace and America that I never want to hear come from Bono again.

The man has become as dimensional as a piece of A4

Its just a really, really naff song isn’t it.

There are so few layers to peel away from this simplistic tune littered with every gross Bonoism he’s been spewing for decades now. I cant be the only non American here who is absolutely finished with Bono’s incessant praising of the US. Throwing “soul” into the title for good measure is the icing on the cake. That has to be a word, perhaps ahead of love, grace and America that I never want to hear come from Bono again.

The man has become as dimensional as a piece of A4
Haha. You're perhaps accentuating the negative, but you're not wrong.
I think Larry and Adam are fine, better than fine. It's a hell of a groove. And Edge is audible (while practicing his pentatonic intervals like any dedicated first-year guitarist should). It's a piece of cliched but harmless music made awkward by bonoisms.
One sunny day, far far in the future, Bono will write a lyric taking the piss out of the US. Maybe he can call it American Troll. Get Macphisto to perform it. I am looking forward to that day.

Back
Top Bottom