American Soul.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok just listened and 2 thoughts:

Does anyone else thing the song sounds like Bono's cover of Children of the Revolution?

Also the song is ok - not great but certainly not as bad as it has been made out to be. For me its no where near as bad as SUC.

yep, they're definitely going for that T-Rex vibe.

Listened to this a few moments ago, on headphones. The production is a beauty. There's an outer-space openness to the sound, despite being a song that sits in the land of dirty riffage ,

For me the best of the bunch so far. This song really kicks ass! There is so much going on here and everything fits into a killer groove. If you are not feeling it yet, check your butt again[emoji109]

I’m extremely stoked about the new album and agree all the commentary is just more spread out amongst various channels. Maybe interference’s new motto should be “dinosaur still walks the earth” ;). That’s what my almost adult daughter would say, a lot of us are just getting old and the band aren’t exactly spring chickens either, but there’s some incredible energy and life in these new songs. Like the callbacks to SOI and hard to get an exact read on everything until a complete listen. Bono did say that say some of this would be him talking to his younger self.

Can someone post a new picture because the pic on the preview pane on iPad is of a guy on a bed of donuts with crumbs on his chin and it's making me dislike like a song that I have never heard

Can someone post a new picture because the pic on the preview pane on iPad is of a guy on a bed of donuts with crumbs on his chin and it's making me dislike like a song that I have never heard

Tom_Bono.jpg

Last edited:

Turn off the pictures!

I can't fathom why that's the default on the app in the first place.

Haha! That pic is awesome

I can’t believe this is the first time someone has noticed how random the preview pane pics can be sometimes. Like not appropriate to the subject of the thread, at all! Lol

I’m not so sure in the “lack of enthusiasm” charge.
I did think the review of all he tracks by the person on Twitter, would have gotten a lot more discussion, but beyond that it hasn’t been too shabby. I thin almost 1100 people were logged on Nov 1 for the announcements.

when TBT came out, there was a huge amount of discussion, the whole Blackout thing brought lots of activity.
That said, any dip in activity, I think actually falls a bit the fact that this is a normal, drawn out release cycle that followed an extraordinarily long amount of time discussing what we thought was to be an imminent album release.

I mean, we’re on what? The 31st proper SOE thread?!! That’s because we went from thinking SOE would be out right away, to going through the roller coaster ride that followed.

We jumped on the new material, TBT... and the Blackout. Little things live performance, etc...
Get Out, we had heard a pretty decent clip of, so the anticipation and discussion of the actual song was lessesned.

Now, at least for me, I’ve kind of settled into a “waiting” mode. A little more low key and just thinking. Hurry up already!!

And yes, U2 is old, we are all a little older, and lots of other social media to fill the void.

But nothing compares to this place. Truly. It is the best forum around and I appreciate checking in every day with everyone that’s here.
Gonna miss this place if this is the last, or second to last rodeo.

It's a nice companion piece to the Refugee and Red Light. I would be really happy if there was a companion to Drowning Man on the new record.

I noticed they used the opening of Flowering Rose of Glastonbury in American Soul. I always liked how that sounded with Bono screaming over top of it:

Would have been nice to hear in American Soul, maybe later in the song.

There actually seems to be quite a lot of buzz about the album out there (maybe not as much here). TBT has performed better than any U2 single since the post-Vertigo Bomb singles. And this month is going to see a lot of promotion around SOE and the new songs.

That's not really saying much though, is it? "The current single is performing better than their last 10 dud singles?"

And I feel the opposite way - there's quite a bit of buzz about this album *here*, but I'm not seeing any real discussion of it elsewhere. Perhaps you're right - in this day and age, it's common to announce an album a month before its release date. It used to be a much longer build-up. But it still seems quiet in the mainstream music media regarding U2.

That's not really saying much though, is it? "The current single is performing better than their last 10 dud singles?"

And I feel the opposite way - there's quite a bit of buzz about this album *here*, but I'm not seeing any real discussion of it elsewhere. Perhaps you're right - in this day and age, it's common to announce an album a month before its release date. It used to be a much longer build-up. But it still seems quiet in the mainstream music media regarding U2.

But such is the nature of the music game in general now. I don't really see ANY significant buzz on any band much anymore. Unless you have specific follows on certain bands, you will see a lot of the same stuff. Generally Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Adele, etc.. will be prominent, but other than that you don't see a whole lot. And I don't think U2 is getting any less coverage than any other decent sized artist with a new album coming.

Everything has become so incredibly fragmented that nothing can really be compared to the way things were 10 or even 5 years ago.

TBT did relatively well for the band coming off a rough ride on the last album. But with new valuations of streaming and views and things for charting, U2 and other rock bands, or older bands just don't have a chance the way they used to.

I think the album will sell respectably well and they will go on to another successful tour. It would cool to see them get a mild hit again, but that is a real long shot.

But such is the nature of the music game in general now. I don't really see ANY significant buzz on any band much anymore. Unless you have specific follows on certain bands, you will see a lot of the same stuff. Generally Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Adele, etc.. will be prominent, but other than that you don't see a whole lot. And I don't think U2 is getting any less coverage than any other decent sized artist with a new album coming.

Everything has become so incredibly fragmented that nothing can really be compared to the way things were 10 or even 5 years ago.

TBT did relatively well for the band coming off a rough ride on the last album. But with new valuations of streaming and views and things for charting, U2 and other rock bands, or older bands just don't have a chance the way they used to.

I think the album will sell respectably well and they will go on to another successful tour. It would cool to see them get a mild hit again, but that is a real long shot.

Well said.

TBT has performed better than any U2 single since the post-Vertigo Bomb singles.

I still don't understand this notion. In terms of sales/chart positions all around the world, TBT has pretty much done worse than all of those singles, and one of the worst of U2's career. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U2_discography

Look at its UK and Ireland positions compared to all other U2 singles!

(SOI singles don't count as they weren't eligible in most countries)

Soooo I dunno if it was due to my tempered expectations prior to hearing the track (the song has certainly developed quite the unfavorable reputation), but I'm, like, kinda diggin' this one lol (though I'll join in the consensus regarding the recycled Volcano bit)

I still don't understand this notion. In terms of sales/chart positions all around the world, TBT has pretty much done worse than all of those singles, and one of the worst of U2's career. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U2_discography

Yeah, i think they were just referencing the US performance. It was played on a lot stations that have never played U2 before, and had peak Audience Impressions for a longer run than anything since Vertigo.

It was definitely not that way in Europe, where it didn't seem to get any push from the band.

Soooo I dunno if it was due to my tempered expectations prior to hearing the track (the song has certainly developed quite the unfavorable reputation), but I'm, like, kinda diggin' this one lol (though I'll join in the consensus regarding the recycled Volcano bit)

It's ok to enjoy it. I do, and so far nobody's been here to black-bag me.

Not in the US, which is the largest market (and the one U2 seems by far the most concerned with).

Not in the US, which is the largest market (and the one U2 seems by far the most concerned with).

It didn't even enter the top 100 in the US, which, for a lead single, is the first and only time in absolutely years.

Again, Miracle doesn't count because of the fact that you couldn't buy SOI singles.

As much as I like the song, TBT did crap.

AS is not terrible, it just does nothing for me. Sounds like anything that could have been on SOI, which is fine as they are companion albums.

But the recycling of the Volcano part just kills it. That, and the continued obsession with everything American... go preach to the Russians FFS.

It didn't even enter the top 100 in the US, which, for a lead single, is the first and only time in absolutely years.

Again, Miracle doesn't count because of the fact that you couldn't buy SOI singles.

As much as I like the song, TBT did crap.

It’s right around the Top 140, and is a Top 20 song on the HAC format. For a rock band that has been around 40 years, that’s pretty damn good. Actually, it’s good for ANY rock band that has been around for more than a few years, if you’ve been following the charts for the past decade.

McDonald's sells a lot of hamburgers. In fact they have been at the top of the hamburger charts for decades.

Therefor, they must make the best, most serious and substantive hamburgers in the whole universe.

Back
Top Bottom