American Soul.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"You and I are rock and roll" makes sense in Volcano - the line seems to be about Bono finding a sense of community in the music. But how does the line relate to America?

It's the birthplace of rock n roll. That doesn't justify reusing arguably the worst lyric in a U2 song a second time as a fucking chorus! I quite like the song aside from that - reusing the Glastonbury riff doesn't bug me, but the words are inexcusable. Such a shame! This and Get Out could have been very good.

Gotta get Eno, Lanois and Flood back - I can't imagine any of them letting YOU ARE ROCK N ROLL! onto a record

I would have a better feeling about it if the line made sense in the context of the song, or if the songs had some sort of connection.

Volcano is a song about a young boy filled with grief who taps into his rage and then releases his anger through the catharsis provided by his new band, U2.

American Soul is about America and refugees.

Any connection there, thematically, requires some serious stretching.

"You and I are rock and roll" makes sense in Volcano - the line seems to be about Bono finding a sense of community in the music. But how does the line relate to America?

He’s using sound and music as a sense of community, not that big of a stretch.

[emoji38]

I don't agree with other parts of your post - "refu-jesus" is stupid in context or isolation, and that Bad lyric is great no matter what - but I totally agree with this. I love the total furphy some of the sadder sacks on this forum peddle, of "hey this lyric would cop loads of shit if Bono sung it now" or "Interference would've hated this if it existed in 1987" or whatever.

Yeah, I'm sure you can prove that. I'm holding myself back from calling some people bellends, but seriously if that's your only comeback to people pointing out how facepalmingly dumb refu-jesus is, you must be pretty shithouse at appreciating any sort of lyrical or written material.

Are you suggesting Vertigo is better than Native Son.

Because if so, log off and reconsider your opinion.
Vertigo is better than native son which is to clunky,vertigo flows much better.

I love this song...much better use of the 'you are rock n' roll' line than in Volcano. This song is heaping helping of 'rawk' like it's rarely been done by U2 in the past 20 years.

Whatever with the lyrics, there's a drive and a conviction to this song. Bash it, bash me for loving it...I think it's throwback and new all in one...:rockon:

Agreed. As usual, instead of actually examining the finer points of the song or giving deep critical analysis, several of the dunderheads on this forum simply won't shut up about "refu-jesus", while trying (and failing) to downplay or hand-wave some of the absolutely horrific lyrics from their favorite 80s songs. They seem to have severe cases of Peter Pan-ism, are unable to grow up."

Listen, if you want a hip band with super-cool lyrics, U2 is not going to fit your bill. 90's U2, yes perhaps, but not in any other incarnation. I'd suggest finding a hipster band to latch onto--since that's not my scene I'm not really sure what to suggest.

Listen, if you want a hip band with super-cool lyrics, U2 is not going to fit your bill. 90's U2, yes perhaps, but not in any other incarnation. I'd suggest finding a hipster band to latch onto--since that's not my scene I'm not really sure what to suggest.

Yes, this. How do people not understand this?

Crappy lyrics work better, at least forgivable, in good songs. Crappy lyrics don't work well, percolate to the surface, in middling songs. Obvious but apparently necessary point.

Yup. That's why I usually limit myself. YTBTAM, GOOYOW, American Soul, and The Blackout will be the only studio versions I'll listen to before the album is released. Counting The Little Things, that means I've heard over 1/3 of the album already. Usually I only allow myself two tracks to preserve the "surprise" of the album.

I'm planning to do the same. I don't want to hear too many studio tracks on their own before I can listen to the album as a whole; it would take away from the new U2 album experience. That's why I still haven't listened to "American Soul."

Crappy lyrics work better, at least forgivable, in good songs. Crappy lyrics don't work well, percolate to the surface, in middling songs. Obvious but apparently necessary point.
So just make that point... You don't like the song.

K. Got it. No problem.

Let's just stop with this "ehhhrmagad the leeriks is so bahd nahwewww, weeere is Eeenaw und Lunwah?" bullcrap.

The guy's always had incredibly high highs and incredibly low lows.

I don’t know if I’ve ever found an artist with a greater than 3 disc catalog to be a consistently great lyric writer.

That's pretty funny. I was just thinking last night about a post someone made yesterday about how it seems like no artists can go past about 20 years with falling off in quality.

I would say, it might now always be the artist, but obviously an aging fan base is part of the equation as well.

Anyway, 3 disc catalog may be pushing it. But I was thinking it was pretty impressive that U2 has about 9 albums where I don't really want to skip a track. 2 albums where i skip one or two, and 3 that I skip at least 4 or 5.
Not bad at all. Too bad those 3 were all back to back in a 9 year period... :|

So just make that point... You don't like the song.

K. Got it. No problem.

Let's just stop with this "ehhhrmagad the leeriks is so bahd nahwewww, weeere is Eeenaw und Lunwah?" bullcrap.

The guy's always had incredibly high highs and incredibly low lows.

100% agree. I have sometimes had to work hard in order to not let a bad lyric overwhelm me and change my overall opinion of a U2 song, but over time I've been able to get by it. This really goes all the way back to the beginning for U2, if anyone is being honest about it. There seems to be a truly unwarranted (and unhealthy) obsession for more recent bad, stray Bono lyrics.

:lol:

I don't agree with other parts of your post - "refu-jesus" is stupid in context or isolation, and that Bad lyric is great no matter what - but I totally agree with this. I love the total furphy some of the sadder sacks on this forum peddle, of "hey this lyric would cop loads of shit if Bono sung it now" or "Interference would've hated this if it existed in 1987" or whatever.

Yeah, I'm sure you can prove that. I'm holding myself back from calling some people bellends, but seriously if that's your only comeback to people pointing out how facepalmingly dumb refu-jesus is, you must be pretty shithouse at appreciating any sort of lyrical or written material.

Are you suggesting Vertigo is better than Native Son.

Because if so, log off and reconsider your opinion.

Suggesting? No, I said so explicitly.

Last edited:
Chalk me up for someone who prefers Native Son over Vertigo.

I dont like either song, but I really, really do not like Vertigo. Along with Elevation, it makes exhibit A of generic crap rock in the band’s repertoire.

Hello, hello, I dont like Vertigo.

This post is turning out to be only moderately less ambitious than the song in question.

As per Axver’s advice, Ill log off now for everyone’s benefit

That's pretty funny. I was just thinking last night about a post someone made yesterday about how it seems like no artists can go past about 20 years with falling off in quality.

I would say, it might now always be the artist, but obviously an aging fan base is part of the equation as well.

Anyway, 3 disc catalog may be pushing it. But I was thinking it was pretty impressive that U2 has about 9 albums where I don't really want to skip a track. 2 albums where i skip one or two, and 3 that I skip at least 4 or 5.

Not bad at all. Too bad those 3 were all back to back in a 9 year period... :|

Well I was thinking about the artist I grew up with and admire lyrically and it was always around the 4th that some started to have the more “unforgivable” missteps.

Chalk me up for someone who prefers Native Son over Vertigo.

I dont like either song, but I really, really do not like Vertigo. Along with Elevation, it makes exhibit A of generic crap rock in the band’s repertoire.

Hello, hello, I dont like Vertigo.

This post is turning out to be only moderately less ambitious than the song in question.

As per Axver’s advice, Ill log off now for everyone’s benefit

Good, thanks.

There is merit in saying that Vertigo is, at the very least, a more successful song than Native Son. Certainly, that's borne out in its sales figures.

Better? I don't know what that means exactly. Native Son is more substantive. Bono's vocal is very good. It checks more boxes for me as a listener. A song's quality is not necessarily tied in with how easy it is to sing along with. But sometimes I read those lyrics and hear those riffs and wonder if they ever belonged together.

There is merit in saying that Vertigo is, at the very least, a more successful song than Native Son. Certainly, that's borne out in its sales figures.

Better? I don't know what that means exactly. Native Son is more substantive. Bono's vocal is very good. It checks more boxes for me as a listener.
Agreed. Not that it matters. Vertigo did a great job for sales.

I don’t know if I’ve ever found an artist with a greater than 3 disc catalog to be a consistently great lyric writer.
Section.80-Cover.jpg

AFTMB001753402CD.jpeg

ToPimpAButterfly.0.jpg

C9H8-PWUIAAzbQ2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom