All signs point to a classic U2 album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think we will think that this album is brilliant when it first comes out but then after a month or two lots of people will hate it or love it. Really we are going to have to wait like 10 years to tell if this album is going to be up there with AB or JT.

Exactly.:up:

Its obvious that there are a number of people who are choosing to to engage in a discussion based purely upon speculation and small tid bits, and its obvious that there are people who don't want to read it. I'm fine with that.

What cracks me up is that this kind of discussion happens ALL OF THE TIME. It happens in sports, politics, the freakin' weather for god's sake. Everyone tries to predict the future, everyone engages in speculative discussion. People make fine livings and have long careers using speculation and their own opinions. Its not like its relegated to this discussion board....well except for the making money part.

Sports Analysts spend hours upon hours trying to speculate who's going to win the big game...and half the time they're wrong. Political correspondents spent hours trying to predict who was going to win the U.S. presidency....and many of them were wrong! Even my weather man tried to predict the big snow storm recently and was off....and he's got a damn Doppler Weather Forecaster. So why is this discussion over the new U2 album any different? So what if its based on speculation? or small tid bits of info...who cares? I don't have a U2 Album Doppler Forecaster...does anyone else? And even if you do....will you be right? :wink:

Just saw this. Amen.

I'd take an album with 15 remixes of a cricket farting over the shit thats on the radio.

I especially like the remix of WILL I AM of Cricket fart number 7

My God, the man is a master when it commes to Cello solo's for Crickets

Not an ULTIMATE MASTER though

:wink:

Sounds like all over the place sonically. Bomb also had lots of previous U2 album comparisons...

Yep it did and so did atyclb which makes me feel that the new album won't be that far removed from the last 2. Can't see it being a classic or remembered in the same way as AB or TJT no matter what insiders are saying. Basically everything that is being said was said before the release of the last album. To quote The Edge before The Bomb was released "this is the album we have been waiting 25 years to make" or something like that. It seems that everytime they release an album now it's the best thing they've ever done. Still despite my negative thoughts some of the stuff on the beachclips does sound promising!

Yep it did and so did atyclb which makes me feel that the new album won't be that far removed from the last 2. Can't see it being a classic or remembered in the same way as AB or TJT no matter what insiders are saying. Basically everything that is being said was said before the release of the last album. To quote The Edge before The Bomb was released "this is the album we have been waiting 25 years to make" or something like that. It seems that everytime they release an album now it's the best thing they've ever done. Still despite my negative thoughts some of the stuff on the beachclips does sound promising!

Yeah, I think this is probably the most level-headed way of looking at.

U2 earned my total respect because of "Actung Baby".. They totally changed their sound and poked fun at their image. Bono wearing the shades and the leather jacket playing against his old image. They went from singing political songs to singing love songs, The Joshua tree saw that shift with with or without U and so on... Actung was a ballsy album indeed.. A true classic.. I hope NLOTh captures that vibe:wave:

I hope it does too. I am just envisioning the shitstorm on here when people calm down after a month or so and start hating it.

I love the band, and love everything they have done. i love the beach clips, so I am fairly certain I will love this album regardless.

Im just getting ready to crack out the popcorn when axver goes "OMFG!!??!Vertigo GYBO is the fucking best song ever!!!?!?!" and then it becomes, man 00's U2 fucking sucks! GOYB is just vertigo 2. fuck U2."

I cannot even begin to compare ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

To me, ATYCLB was the album that solidified U2's legacy. It was exactly what they needed, when they needed it. And make no mistake, I am a big fan of Pop. I really like ATYCLB and can listen to it over and over. No, it is not as adventurous or as exciting as most of U2's catalog, but it fits a nice niche that I believe they had not covered before.

HTDAAB was, on the other hand, a HUGE disappointment for me. Not once in my life have I ever been let down by a U2 album, but this one let me down big time. And I was so excited (as were most of us, remember?) by Vertigo. It was such a shame and a disappointment that the rest of the album was so hollow. There wasn't and still isn't anything there that interests me.

Bring on the new album, and let's hope it fully abandons everything that was wrong with HTDAAB.

^ your opinion, and you're entitled to it. I have to disagree about HTDAAB though. It was what was needed at the time. The music industry was falling down to disposable garbage music, and they came out with what was ostensibly not an album, but a collection of very very good songs. They reminded the world what music was about. If they released anything innovative, or groundbreaking, or whatever, they could have fallen into the background noise. This year is perfect, we've seen codlplay and the killers both release good albums, now its their turn to stand above the rest asnd say "yeah, that was good, but try and keep up..."

HTDAAB was, on the other hand, a HUGE disappointment for me. Not once in my life have I ever been let down by a U2 album, but this one let me down big time. And I was so excited (as were most of us, remember?) by Vertigo. It was such a shame and a disappointment that the rest of the album was so hollow. There wasn't and still isn't anything there that interests me.

Everybody as he wants do, but I could not disagree more.:ohmy:
HTDAAB for me was a step forward from a rather fall-back, safety-net, clean & overproduced sounding album. ATYCLB nevertheless has a pretty good A-side, but on the B-side songs like "Wild Honey" or "Grace" simply don't do it for me. Live the A-side plus "New York" were even stronger – but as a complete album, I've never got it. It didn't move me as the classics, but even not as much as ZOOROPA or POP. When HTDAAB came out, it was really different: I've listened to it from start to end, from the rediscovered quotations of U2's erlier albums across the emotional landscapes reminiscent of the 80ies, to the 90ies' heavier & lighter, poppier moments – but all fresh and, yes, in the complexity of song structures & compositions so modern and relevant.
That's why HTDAAB is a masterpiece for me and, I guess, always will be. And with rhythm driven & big backing choir tunes like "Vertigo", "Love And Peace Or Else" or "Fast Cars" I'm sure we have this kind of tunes, that point towards the direction, we'll get with the new album. In other words: If you didn't like HTDAAB at all you probably won't be too happy with the last part of the trilogy ATYCLB-HTDAAB-NLOTH ...:wink:

I think that is what people dont recognise with HTDAAB. People who like it think every song is strong, and it is solid accross the board. Even masterpieces have their downsides (I don't particularly like TTYW or TTTYAAW). I dont see a weakness that big in HTDAAB. Sure the good songs on them are better, but people are overly harsh on it.

I love the album. I love the song COBL. Despite arguments about mixing I think the band interplay is fantastic. I love how it breaks into the chorus with an ascending bass line. It is really effective in conveying a feeling of lift off. I really feel elation. The weakest link is Bono, but lyrically I think he is just expressing what's going on musically.

I also think Miracle Drug is musically rich. It really builds and I love when that happens. As a musician, I hear alot of love that went into the arrangment and dynamics. What a perfect guitar solo. Pirecing, bright and about 4 notes total for the most part. Really shifts the middle section to dramatic effect.

A man and a woman. What a great song. I would love to read why anyone could hate that song. It was a departure for U2 totally.

Sometimes you can't make it on your own. Jesus Christ. That SNL performance gives me chills. That's 3 guys making that music happen.

There's nothing on ATYCLB that touches these songs for real band interaction. As compressed as HTDAAB is, I think ATYCLB sounds alot denser. I hear very little dynamic interplay within songs on that album.

But I love all their albums.

I dont see a weakness that big in HTDAAB. Sure the good songs on them are better, but people are overly harsh on it.

And so I have this strange vision, how this board (& other boards) will turn, when NLOTH will be published, like water thrown to the thirsty community. My fear is, it will go the same way as with the last album: first praised like salvation, then crucified and thrown away. Is our world really turning that fast? Hopefully I'm wrong and how I'd wish, there would be an album (again) being that strong to stand the test of time for more people ...:hmm:

A man and a woman. What a great song. I would love to read why anyone could hate that song. It was a departure for U2 totally.

Departure? Yes. A good departure? IMO...No. It sounded like U2 trying to be an older version of a boy band. Horrible. I consider it one of the worst songs they've ever done.

Bono himself has said that everytime they try to write a love song that it always turns dark in some way because U2 can't write good straight forward love songs. Well, they tried to do one...its called "A Man and A Woman" and quite frankly....Bono was right.

Ahem, One step closer.lol

Yes, yes, I know the tracks – but I really love them all. "A Man And A Woman" has this special mood, only rare tracks can create – just as "Love Comes Tumbling" for instance. "One Step Closer" has this beautiful intro, kind of like a today's "Running To Stand Still", a reflection, a painting, a moment of silence before the drummer sets in ...

Departure? Yes. A good departure? IMO...No. It sounded like U2 trying to be an older version of a boy band. Horrible. I consider it one of the worst songs they've ever done.

Bono himself has said that everytime they try to write a love song that it always turns dark in some way because U2 can't write good straight forward love songs. Well, they tried to do one...its called "A Man and A Woman" and quite frankly....Bono was right.

That's funny. You say boy-band. Reminded me of Sade.

Boy Band songs don't use those chords.

It's amazing about perceptions.

It was a departure in that musically it was different for them.

I hear a Lou Reed influence and a decent lyric.

Music supports the mood and creates a sparse atmosphere for a song about death.

I've heard worse.

One Step Closer is a song with lyrics that touch the hell out of me, but music that makes me numb with boredom. I wish they would have tried another treatment because some of the lyrics and the metaphors he uses are so powerful and appropriate. It pains me to hear that song because I feel its one of those songs they just f-ed up. Its one of the few moments on Bomb that the band fucked up the music and Bono got the lyrics/vocals right as opposed to the other way around.

That's funny. You say boy-band. Reminded me of Sade.

Boy Band songs don't use those chords.

It's amazing about perceptions.

It was a departure in that musically it was different for them.

I don't ever expect/want Sade to sing Sunday Bloody Sunday

and I don't ever expect/want U2 to sing Smooth Operator

Yet I love those two artists and those two songs

Know what I mean?

I hear a Lou Reed influence and a decent lyric.

Music supports the mood and creates a sparse atmosphere for a song about death.

I've heard worse.

Im not saying its a bad song,just that i think the others are better. My fave is miracle drug,god i love that song. (plus i can play it on guitar!)

Bono reminds me of his old self by the way he sings "Little sister..dont you worry bout a thing today". One of the brighter Bono moments on the album.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom