All critical, "professional" reviews of SOI here, Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait... Streets is my favorite U2 song... but I've never been to a concert of theirs.

Is that weird?

Damn! You HAVE to see it live at least once. Streets live is a transforming, magical experience!! Probably their best live song ever, surprisingly when you consider the album version.

True story. Today I was stuck outside in the rain waiting for my ride, and a couple kids who were in maybe middle school or underclass high school were playing Mofo by U2. I was shocked to hear that and made a comment about it. They said they started listening to U2 because the new album was on their phones and they really liked it and bought a couple of their old albums. I was totally shocked and realized that even though U2 is getting hammered in the media, this was a massive success on many levels.

True story. Today I was stuck outside in the rain waiting for my ride, and a couple kids who were in maybe middle school or underclass high school were playing Mofo by U2. I was shocked to hear that and made a comment about it. They said they started listening to U2 because the new album was on their phones and they really liked it and bought a couple of their old albums. I was totally shocked and realized that even though U2 is getting hammered in the media, this was a massive success on many levels.

That's a really cool story, glad to hear it! Interesting that they zeroed in on Mofo already! Maybe POP really was ahead of its time.

Not that it matters but I don't think you're a troll.

Your reaction to this album was the same(better actually) than the first U2 album I bought...Zooropa. No hooks, no songs that I wanted to blast at full volume. I still think it is their second worst album but some songs have grown on me over the years (Stay is a gem!).

With SOI, I refuse to rate it yet or say where it ranks because I might still be high on the "New Album" drug. I find my instincts are usually close to my final feelings, even though I say I love the new U2 about all their new albums.

POP-didn't care for it...told people it was good and I tried to convince myself it was but it's not(my opinion)

ATYCLB- liked it and still like it a lot. Although the first time I heard Beautiful Day I thought it was crap now it is one of my favorites

Bomb-really liked it and still do.

NLOTH-Didn't really like it, told people it was good and I think I tried believe what I would say (I wrote a post here that it was Better than Bomb...it's not). In the end, my gut was right and I don't care for it that much.

SOI...I liked it initially. The songs don't have the smash you over the head U2 sound but I find that I like them...almost all of them and that has never happened (Achtung is like that to me). Time will tell if that feeling holds. At the moment(I'm still high on the drug though) I am really....really liking this album.

I appreciate your honesty....even though you do come off as "I told you so" sometimes....lot of the time...:)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Are you me?

When Pop came out, with all the hype surrounding it at the time, I tried very hard to like it, I learned the lyrics in a matter of days, just to realize that no songs were nice enough to sing along...

There is so much negativity from outside reviews and in here(lot of fighting lately) that THIS post made my day. I was in the at @U2 forms last night(never been there but wanted to check it out) and they have a thread called "high school student reactions" or something and everyone was sharing the reactions of their kids, friends, co workers and people that they know. It was overwhelmingly positive the feedback that the album received from them. It was cool to read that this whole approach DID make a difference. Sometimes we are so focused on the door that is closed that we don't see all the windows that have been opened!

Streets is an example of a song that's good on the album and in concert. But in concert, it REALLY comes to life. At least watch it on R&H or other videos. :yes:

Yeah so I've heard. I've been meaning to watch R&H in full for awhile. I just watched the Superbowl performance (saw it when it aired but I was six so I barely remember it) and it was too good, choked me up a bit.

Yeah so I've heard. I've been meaning to watch R&H in full for awhile. I just watched the Superbowl performance (saw it when it aired but I was six so I barely remember it) and it was too good, choked me up a bit.

Dom, I really hope you get a chance to see them live....Especially Streets!

My concerts with Streets:

POPMART 2x- Cool version and they blended it so well with the Please transition.
Elevation 2x- Best version by a mile. The lighting was great and in an arena, it just explodes
Vertigo 2x- worst version by a mile. the lighting did not compliment the song and the whole speech in the beginning took away from the beautiful opening guitar(elevation was a little more muted of a speech)
360 2x- 2nd best version and best stadium version( by default I guess...lol). Lots of passion in this version

I can't explain it but this song is just....heaven live!

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Thanks for sharing this... A new maintenance worker showed up in my office today to do some finishing detail work and he noticed my cd copy of SOI and he said to me what a great album that is. I almost fell outta my chair and asked him him if he was already a fan and he said no but his parents are. He went on to tell me he checked out a bunch of their albums while partying this weekend and they were all surprised how much they liked the music. I asked what his favorite album was and he said Pop by a mile, I later found out his age from his manager and he said 23. I get caught sometimes in our little Interland world and Im thinking all mega negative stuff so when I heard this it made my day.

Yes! Random strangers become your friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTmq1nsD71Q

I want aliens from another planet to listen to Streets!

If I could go back in time to watch just one U2 song in concert, it would be this particular performance. By far the best rendition of Streets I've ever heard. They blew the roof off the arena in Rotterdam with this performance that night. Fucking amazing!

Wait... Streets is my favorite U2 song... but I've never been to a concert of theirs.

Is that weird?

you have to experience it live. the thump of larry's drums forcing your heart to follow his beat. adams bass, the wind in the sails. edge's guitar ringing thru the venue penetrating your every pore,tingly. bono's voice soaring up to the sky.
the 1st i heard it in person, i felt i was in heaven.

Never going to forget the first time I heard Streets live. I was extremely giddy when I saw the red lighting fill the stage, as Bono finished singing 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow'. Incredible.

I need to go to another U2 show.

Pop always does well with a lot of newbies/novices, even ones not really into U2. In freshman year of college at the dorms, a lot of people used a program that could let you download music from other people's iTunes (you could also stream from anyone else in the network...literally hundreds of libraries). It was called ShareTunes or something...anyway, a few people had downloaded some U2 records from me because I noticed my tagging and one girl had clearly gone through all of them and deleted most of their stuff but kept Pop (and it showed she had listened to it multiple times). Fairly interesting.

I love that story!... also partly because I'm a huge fan of Pop.

I was 16 when I saw Streets live for the first and only time. It was a truly transcendent experience and one of the best experiences of my life.

Thanks for sharing this... A new maintenance worker showed up in my office today to do some finishing detail work and he noticed my cd copy of SOI and he said to me what a great album that is. I almost fell outta my chair and asked him him if he was already a fan and he said no but his parents are. He went on to tell me he checked out a bunch of their albums while partying this weekend and they were all surprised how much they liked the music. I asked what his favorite album was and he said Pop by a mile, I later found out his age from his manager and he said 23. I get caught sometimes in our little Interland world and Im thinking all mega negative stuff so when I heard this it made my day.

Lets hope U2 hears this and actually include some songs from "Pop" on the upcoming tour!!!!!

For every person I see post this on Facebook (about 5 of my friends have), I post the Conan video AND the Rolling Stone ***** review, and tell them that despite being the "most hated band in America", come tour time, there will be no tickets left… again.

I could be wrong, and maybe we'll have a Popmart style backlash on our hands. :huh:

LMFAO at other lines from this epic rant too:

"it's as if all of cyberspace has turned into someone's prissy maiden aunt, shocked and appalled that some forward gentleman caller would give her a peck on the cheek without formally proposing marriage."

And this:

"The only people who want a new U2 album at this point, frankly, are the diehards — a small cabal of wild-eyed acolytes who put the band on a rarefied pedestal. Fans from their '80s and '90s heyday just want the old stuff. Where The Streets Have No Name. With or Without You. One. Young people? That's a laugh. 'Who's U2?' they ask, wide-eyed and innocent. 'Who's Paul McCartney? Who's Louis Armstrong? Who's Frank Sinatra? Who's Mozart?'"

:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom