All critical, "professional" reviews of SOI here, Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The band is being butchered by the Media, but there is a positive that no one sees...

Apart from the standard-casual-stupid ones most of the comments are defending the album somewhat. Not the band, not U2 but the album

They need image makeover if they wanna do this business from here now :reject:

Can you imagine the critics if they totally decided to change their image now? Not a chance of that happening and why should it

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I don't think 2233 meant a Zoo style of image makeover, but just a refresh of their public image. I sort of agree. Given the unlikelihood of them ever making 'smaller' more interesting music, I think they'll probably never really salvage their musical reputation (even if their plane slammed into a mountain tomorrow, the best they could hope for would be a "they were great until..." eternal record, and a debate only about when 'until' exactly was). But then there's the lightning rod of hate that is Bono... I don't know what could be done there, mainly because I don't think he can actually change.

I think it's a good thing the band and Bono especially are keeping their mouth shut about all of this, because I can only imagine that Bono speaking out would lead to even more bashing. No matter what he says or how he says it, people will twist and turn his words to make it look negative. He simply cannot win. So I'd rather have them being silent right now and get back into the spotlight when the album is officially released on CD and promotional activity is going to start. I'm also pretty sure that there will be enough interest in U2 concert tickets once the tour is announced. :)

I am unfortunately leaning toward saying this Apple thing was a bad idea. Maybe one day for a free download. You don't measure relevance by releasing to 500 million and hoping the percentages are in your favor. I disagree with bad publicity being a positive. Many people won't give the album a chance simply because this report or that person says it's a failure or an invasion of privacy. Herd mentality.

The physical release will not do well of course and that's just more fodder for the critics.

The truth is that Apple and U2 will be synonymous with the powerful big brother partnership for years to come. The music will always be secondary to that perception.

C

My 3 year old son's first post on interference, as I left my phone open and he pushed buttons. C could be referring to his preference for Coldplay?

Give it a week, let the dust settle, let the haters find something else. U2 will have a couple black eyes and a bloody nose, but they'll still be standing. Then maybe people will listen to the songs. The Miracle is NOT a hit, the song will have zero impact on the public.

In one week, U2 had been talked about(good or bad) more than the entire run of NLOTH. I have never seen U2 trend in twitter it Facebook but it happened. I have also never seen so many U2 related articles in such a short span, it's as if every publication/blog/site feels they need to weigh in on the topic.

We will get an idea of the true reception of the music when we see how well this is received at radio and album sales. If the music is good, it will win out.

I have to admit I even cringe whenever the apple commercial comes on with them. It's embarrassing.

I think they'll probably never really salvage their musical reputation

I hope this will turn out untrue. It would be a shame. The irony to all of this is that SOI is really good, the songs are gorgeous and U2 really deserve a lot more credit and praise for it. Maybe is their best record since "Pop" and even older that that. I hope time will make it justice, once everybody calms down.

I have to admit I even cringe whenever the apple commercial comes on with them. It's embarrassing.

Personally, I really like it. Good song, cool images of punk rock icons flashed here and there....well done I thought. Now if we can only get a proper video!

I asked Anthony what he thought, his response was "Ain't nobody got time for that".

You know what?... Haters close their mind (and ears) to the mere mention of U2 or Bono, right? Maybe what the band should do is release an album suddenly under the artist name of "Anonymous" or something. Or better yet... Passengers version 2. Except for us hardcore fans who will recognize the artist instantly, nobody will have a freaking clue who is playing. Maybe at least this way more people will end up listening to the music (which is what matters) without talking endless shit about U2 or Bono on social media. lol it's just a thought.

"Won't be able to salvage their musical reputation" erm what? From what I can see people are actually enjoying the music more than I have seen in quite some time, for the first time ever I think I have seen people actually defend the music when critics have given it a poor review, I have seen peoples comments on the NME articles where again they have defended the band I have never seen this happen?,

IMO I do think this will all die down in time and the actual music will shine through,

[QUO TE=birdman;7846069]I asked Anthony what he thought, his response was "Ain't nobody got time for that".[/QUOTE]

Still pretty confused who is Anthony?

There are a lot of people who already thought U2 were talentless crap before that Apple incident. They are the ones screaming the loudest right now, saying. I told you so! But apart from that I don't think it will do a lot of damage to U2. People who enjoy their music will still continue doing so, people who like the new album will still continue listening to it and people who have hated them before will continue to hate them. The negative voices are the ones that are the loudest, it's always like that, but I think there are a lot of people out there who actually like the album and listen to it without being too impressed by all the negativity.

I don't cringe, but when I saw it the other day it occurred to me how all this completely lacks the "cool factor" that the iPod ad did. No matter how good the music is, and fair or unfair, a perception about all this is starting to set in, and it's not all good. I don't really particularly care how the internet sees U2, but the band cares about stuff like this quite a bit. It won't matter one bit for the tour of course, which will sell out no matter what, but I wonder if it will impact when to release SOE.

I haven't heard miracle once here in the uk. Not on bbc radio 2 or absolute radio which are all over U2 normally. No advert here either.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Its on the Radio 2 playlist. Chris Evans is bound to play it surely.

I don't cringe, but when I saw it the other day it occurred to me how all this completely lacks the "cool factor" that the iPod ad did. No matter how good the music is, and fair or unfair, a perception about all this is starting to set in, and it's not all good. I don't really particularly care how the internet sees U2, band the band cares about stuff like this quite a bit. It won't matter one bit for the tour, which will sell out no matter what, but I wonder if it will impact when to release SOE.

But surely the dad has helped with regard to the 33m people who have listened to the album? If the band feel this hasn't worked, IMO it will be the end for the band yes the tour will sell out but I don't think that means as much to them as being relevant

But surely the dad has helped with regard to the 33m people who have listened to the album?

Oh, no doubt...if they didn't first notice it in their iTunes library, most people learned about the record either from the ad, or from an article they read about it (or the backlash to it). So to the extent anyone was exposed to U2's music from the ad, it's all good.

I'm still wondering how all this plays out for Apple. Right now, aside from a bunch of bad press, all they've gotten for their 100mil is a spike in sales from U2's back catalogue and no doubt a lot of traffic in the iTunes store. Is that worth 100mil? Probably not, so there's clearly more to this deal.

And as I understand it, the cost of making the ad, along with running it all over the world, is part of that 100mil, so how much U2 actually sees of it is anyone's guess. The big money for them is obviously in the tour, but U2 does care about what people say about them, unfortunately, so it's hard to think this isn't impacting them on some level.

Do they have their precious "relevance" again? For the moment, it would seem (though notoriety is probably a better term in this case) . We'll see if anyone is talking about U2 in a couple weeks.

We say all it's being aired all over the world but has anyone actually seen it other than in the US?

I don't cringe, but when I saw it the other day it occurred to me how all this completely lacks the "cool factor" that the iPod ad did. No matter how good the music is, and fair or unfair, a perception about all this is starting to set in, and it's not all good. I don't really particularly care how the internet sees U2, but the band cares about stuff like this quite a bit. It won't matter one bit for the tour of course, which will sell out no matter what, but I wonder if it will impact when to release SOE.

I agree on the ad. I think U2 have to move beyond the "performance" video thing. Nobody believes you're kicking over drum sets and smashing guitars. Apple could have put really cool (non-band) video footage with tiny snippets of the band and it would be much cooler.
I always think about the great trio of videos for One. What did they have in common - none of them were performance videos.

Oh, no doubt...if they didn't first notice it in their iTunes library, most people learned about the record either from the ad, or from an article they read about it (or the backlash to it). So to the extent anyone was exposed to U2's music from the ad, it's all good.

I'm still wondering how all this plays out for Apple. Right now, aside from a bunch of bad press, all they've gotten for their 100mil is a spike in sales from U2's back catalogue and no doubt a lot of traffic in the iTunes store. Is that worth 100mil? Probably not, so there's clearly more to this deal.

And as I understand it, the cost of making the ad, along with running it all over the world, is part of that 100mil, so how much U2 actually sees of it is anyone's guess. The big money for them is obviously in the tour, but U2 does care about what people say about them, unfortunately, so it's hard to think this isn't impacting them on some level.

Do they have their precious "relevance" again? For the moment, it would seem (though notoriety is probably a better term in this case) . We'll see if anyone is talking about U2 in a couple weeks.

That's the one thing that bothers me about all this. Is that the band ran scared from POP because of critical backlash. And that album never recovered. So 4 times as many people are stuck listening to ATYCLB instead of the greatness of POP.

I am hoping that with Guy O. at the helm now, that he can talk them through it, and help them see they don't need to take it to heart and be apologists. (Like fucking Apple)

But surely the dad has helped with regard to the 33m people who have listened to the album? If the band feel this hasn't worked, IMO it will be the end for the band yes the tour will sell out but I don't think that means as much to them as being relevant

It's not "33m people who have listened to the album". It's "something from the album has been listened to 33m times".

The advantage is likely thus far not that great. The 33m figure isn’t really that huge. An article somewhere in here was quoted as saying that the estimate for first week sales (without the exclusive window) had been 400-450k in the US alone. Can we very very very conservatively take that up to 550-600k to include the rest of the world? Let’s say 600k. What if the average there – given this is mainly your U2 faithful fanbase checking in here in Week 1 – is five end to end spins of the album in that first week. Sound fair? Plenty of the hardcore would do more than that (multiples in a day, as evidenced via confessions in here) and of course plenty would do less – 2 or 3 in Week 1. But let’s say 5 in Week 1, especially given that iTunes will count a 'listen' as anything longer than 3-5 seconds on one track, so in a sense will unfairly boost it's own figures...

600,000 sales x 11 Tracks x 5 listens = 33,000,000.

It's not "33m people who have listened to the album". It's "something from the album has been listened to 33m times".

The advantage is likely thus far not that great. The 33m figure isn’t really that huge. An article somewhere in here was quoted as saying that the estimate for first week sales (without the exclusive window) had been 400-450k in the US alone. Can we very very very conservatively take that up to 550-600k to include the rest of the world? Let’s say 600k. What if the average there – given this is mainly your U2 faithful fanbase checking in here in Week 1 – is five end to end spins of the album in that first week. Sound fair? Plenty of the hardcore would do more than that (multiples in a day, as evidenced via confessions in here) and of course plenty would do less – 2 or 3 in Week 1. But let’s say 5 in Week 1, especially given that iTunes will count a 'listen' as anything longer than 3-5 seconds on one track, so in a sense will unfairly boost it's own figures...

600,000 sales x 11 Tracks x 5 listens = 33,000,000.

It is the whole album though. The press release said it was 33 million listens to the album either by stream or download. It didn't mention listening to single tracks

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom