Alan Cross interview with Daniel Lanois / 360 Degree Stage Set-Up / Updated 01-22-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It doesn't work.... :mad:

I meant to muldfeld when you're TALKING about ysi on the forums, you have to type it like this y o u s e n d i t because its censored, because we dont 'allow' links to be posted here for copyrite issues. When you are trying to download a link, just insert y o u s e n d i t in between the dots, but with NO spaces. Hopefully I'm making sense.

Many thanks for the mp3s. Cool that Lanois is so positive about the album.

The tour sounds good, although for me the tours are always about the music, so even if the played small clubs with a crappy PA I would be there to hear the new songs!

This is very exciting, I really hope U2 push the envelope as far as they can with their live show this time round. From Lanois' comments, (and initial sound of GOYB) it seems that NLOTH will be a Larry record. After 2 albums of boring drumming its about time he showed us he can still shine.

my last stadium show was U2 PopMart Toronto, I had 6 seats in the back of the floor, but to my surprise the seats had been removed due to the size of the soundboard area. so the crew replaced my tix right there on the spot with front row B-stage

So I cannot complain about stadiums, I had a great experience

The only thing I wish for is GA floors for North America leg of tour if they decide on stadiums

Interesting - I assume they are going for an extremely clean stage - I've seen this before and it's almost surreal seeing a rock band without huge stacks behind them. I can't imagine Edge hiding his command center, but it should be interesting!

So are they not doing in-door Arena shows at all ??

Just curious about that point.

Like how there was an in-door and out-door version of Zoo TV.

Will there be something to that effect?

I know at some point during their tour the weather will turn cold and then out-door stadiums are not exactly where you'd want to be.

but Popmart was just :drool:
You're not wrong there. But my bladder is still recovering, and if you don't get there real early, you're well and truly screwed. Nothing worse than watching a few ants on stage or staring at a large screen surrounded by greatest hits fans playing with their mobile phones.

You're not wrong there. But my bladder is still recovering, and if you don't get there real early, you're well and truly screwed. Nothing worse than watching a few ants on stage or staring at a large screen surrounded by greatest hits fans playing with their mobile phones.

Agree. :sad:

It's going to be a giant Lazy Susan that spins faster and faster until they are thrown into the audience at the end :up:

:lmao:

Stadiums. :sigh:

:hug:

I hope they do arenas in the US again, since Europe if we do get the tour in summer will end up with stadiums. I liked the variation when i came to the US/Canada of going to arena. They're more intimate aswell. :drool:

:lmao:

:hug:

I hope they do arenas in the US again, since Europe if we do get the tour in summer will end up with stadiums. I liked the variation when i came to the US/Canada of going to arena. They're more intimate aswell. :drool:

That's what I think too. I like the more intimate setting.

Damn those greatest hits fans. How dare they use there hard earned money to buy tickets to a concert and not be a real fan.

No one should be allowed to go to a U2 concert unless they are as big a fan as I am.

Now back to topic - was good to hear Dan talk abit more about the album. Not a big fan of GOYB, but the fact it's not the opening track - I might enjoy it more hearing the album from go to woe.

Lanois certainly has whetted my appetite for opening 4 songs though! :tongue:

This ought to be interesting. I wonder how old the drawings that Danny saw were.

I saw Sprinsteen at Lincoln Financial Field in Philly a few years ago and the sound was horrible. Citizen's Bank Park wasn't bad, but I prefer arenas.

I meant to muldfeld when you're TALKING about ysi on the forums, you have to type it like this y o u s e n d i t because its censored, because we dont 'allow' links to be posted here for copyrite issues. When you are trying to download a link, just insert y o u s e n d i t in between the dots, but with NO spaces. Hopefully I'm making sense.

YES!

I understand that... I was not the only one having issues with it. I k n o w how it w o r k s....

I'm new back here...did I hear something about the tour starting Spain in June? In which case 360d in Nou Camp, Barcelona would be mind-boggling.

360....in a stadium....in Europe (that means I have to go to Spain, Italy or Netherlands because there the audience is the best)... yeah, can't wait...
I saw Elevation in Torino in Italy, it was the only stadium show in Europe and US (as far as I remember) and the atmosphere was so good that it was the only show on the whole tour where they performed additional encore. Not standard one, but a real, spontaneous, "we want more" encore (check it out in setlists from that time)...
So stadium can be great and I wont complain because I only saw them in stadium (Zooropa, POP, Elevation and Vertigo), and everything was just perfect

and 360 - maybe they will use holograms instead of screens...they are doable these days :) :)

if they are playing here in los angeles..........the rose bowl and coliseum wouldn't work. dodger stadium probably wouldnt work either.

Why not? I've seen them at both Dodger Stadium and the Coliseum. The renovated Coliseum (with the narrower playing field) was the perfect venue for a stadium show . . . albeit with a dearth of parking spaces.

How would a 360 degree stage work in a stadium? Where would all the speakers go? Think of a normal stadium stage set up and you have a huge wall of speakers behind the stage. Lets say that is how many speakers you need to fill a stadium (and even then it can sound crap; but that's another story) then if can't locate the speakers behind the stage in that way where on earth do you put them? There is no roof to hang them from. I dunno, but I reckon this news of a 360 degree set up suggests it might be an arena show. Arena = far fewer speakers and a roof to hang them from.

playing devil's advocate here....

Vertigo tour was also rumored to have an in-the-round, 360-degree stage, with the stage still favoring one end of the floor.

And that happened with the light curtains, but it certainly didn't feel like it.

And if there are no pillars, then the stuff has to be hung from a roof, which most stadiums don't have.

So lets not worry for now.

unrelated to my previous post, but I just thought of a cool concept. Have all the lighting come from the bottem of the stage. And instead of screens, you can project image on smoke that could come from the sides!

Back
Top Bottom