After a year...what do you think about NLOTH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll just say i like GOYB more than Vertigo. Would probably like it more if it didn't remind me so much of Vertigo. That's right. Explanation? Adam's bass seems to mirror what Edge is playing in both songs, Bono tries a one-note pseudo rap singing approach on both songs, both songs have a glamrock, trashy sound to them.

Interestingly, I think this is true of almost every lead-off U2 single since The Fly. Riff-driven rocker (Fly, Discotheque, Vertigo, GOYB), powered oftentimes by a bass and lead guitar riff that mirror each other (Discotheque, BD, Vertigo, and GOYB), verse lyrics that are more spoken than sung (BD, Fly, Vertigo, GOYB), etc. But I agree that Vertigo and GOYB feel more closely-related. Different from each other still (notably GOYB's near-lack of chorus), but certainly kissing cousins.

(The only lead-off single that doesn't really subscribe to this methodology is "Numb," which wasn't a huge hit in 93.)

A lot of songs on AB sound similar

Many of them came from the same jam session -- "End of the World", "Fly," and "Ultraviolet" are all very closely connected, and "Salome" begat "Zoo Station".

In the same way that people think The First Time might sound like other softer U2 songs

Most notably "All I Want Is You," with which it shares the exact same structure...

[/endU2nerddom]

I've heard 2 NLOTH songs on the radio today, so a year later it's still getting some love :heart: (GOYB was playing in Staples :dance: I may have stayed in there a little longer than needed just to hear it finish. LOL )

still one of their top albums...still listen to it a lot...like running to it too..even had a dream last night I was listening to Magnificent...sad I know...

To put bluntly, it's forgettable. There are some good songs on there but it ultimately suffers as an album, and some of the shit on it is inexcusable. It just sort of drowned in the midst of better albums coming out last year.

Here she comes ... sixty-nine again

You're honey child to a swarm of bees
Gonna blow right through ya like a breeze

I'm only hanging on to watch you go down

If you want to kiss the sky, better learn how to kneel
On your knees, boy

Did I disappoint you
Or leave a bad taste in your mouth

but every song??? wow didn't know that. Maybe we should start a topic on the link between U2 and oral sex....

Can you name one that doesn't mention it?

On Your Knees Boy!

Of course, there's also the Lady with the Spinning HEAD! Lalalalalalalalalalalalalady with the spinning head!

Did I disappoint you
Or leave a bad taste in your mouth

but every song??? wow didn't know that. Maybe we should start a topic on the link between U2 and oral sex....

Not sure if you were sarcastic or not, but yeah. :wink:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f194/sexual-messages-in-u2s-songs-105950.html

Most of those are oral. And there's this thread...
http://www.u2interference.com/forum...f-the-world-spilling-over-the-brim-90506.html

Then there's this thread. If you want a good laugh, I'd recommend it for sure.

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...erence-in-original-of-the-species-144901.html

:wink: You're welcome.

Áctually rediscovering this album again recently, the title track is finally doing something for me in a big way, took long enough mind you, as I used to rank it as one of my three least enjoyable tracks. I'm actually even getting something out of Stand Up Comedy now...though it is by far the weakest track.

Moment Of Surrender is leaving an increasingly big impression on me with every subsequent listen. So much so, I'm almost ranking it on par with the more obvious gem, Magnificent. Two U2 Classics.

Crazy Tonight achieves all that it's inclusion on the album was intended to do, a happy pop number after a pretty intense opening four songs. Unknown Caller is an awkward concept of a song, but executed satisfactorily and my enjoyment of it is very much mood-dependent. Happy it's on the album.

Boots and Breathe are quality tracks, Cedarse remains an endlessly intriguing and beautiful closer and Fez is what it is, and really needs a live debut.

With U2 albums, I'm not necessarily after classics or groundbreaking albums, I'm after albums that sit nicely within the U2 catalogue. Something I can listen to and think "Man, I'm so glad there is a U2", because their music does more for me than any other band and have a higher capacity to satisfy my desires. NLOTH does that very well. All U2 albums do that......

....except for R&H

MORE racism from Bonnie. She cannot HELP herself.

Your posts are DECIDEDLY not Magnificent.
australian-flag-reduced.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom