ABSOLUTELY REPULSED by the cd quality of this new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
on a positive note, i think Stand Up Comedy sounds a lot better on the CD than it does on the mp3. The "Love, Love, Love" part is mixed a lot better.

I feel that the new album is just on the wave of the industry about that.
HTDAAB suffers from that "Loudness", but NLOTH is not as bad as its predecessor, it's just in the average of nowadays industry. I feel that NLOTH is on the same level than ATYCLB about the mix and the mastering of the songs.

Btw, I did a little comparison. 96khz version(bottom in photo) is clearly a different mastering from the standard CD(top in photo). These waveforms are of Stand Up Comedy.

My guess is the 96khz version is an audio rip from the Linear DVD in the box set. But I have no idea. Thinking of picking up that box set after seeing this.

suc-cd-vs-96khz.jpg

Btw, I did a little comparison. 96khz version(bottom in photo) is clearly a different mastering from the standard CD(top in photo). These waveforms are of Stand Up Comedy.

My guess is the 96khz version is an audio rip from the Linear DVD in the box set. But I have no idea.

suc-cd-vs-96khz.jpg

Jeez, that CD waveform is horrible. I'll have to rip both the CD and the DVD to compare.

My guess is the 96khz version is an audio rip from the Linear DVD in the box set. But I have no idea. Thinking of picking up that box set after seeing this.

suc-cd-vs-96khz.jpg

Could you compare Crazy Tonight? Thanks!

Ok, I bought the cd at starbucks but the distortion is still bugging me and I'd like to hear what the flac version sounds like...Would anyone be so kind as to send it to me?? yonzyw@gmail.com. Thanks guys.

I get your point. However, when I am watching a movie on my regular ol' run of the mill TV, I don't find myself thinking, "Man...I sure wish I was watching this on a better screen." I enjoy it for what it is.

To be clear though, I'm not faulting anyone who is knocking the album's sound quality though. I am not trying to pick a fight or get into a debate. I'm personally just not that technical of a person to be bothered by or notice such things, I suppose.

Oh, I understand perfectly what you're talking about!

I'm that person who wishes "I wish I could hear this on audiophile speakers and vinyl!" :wink::hyper:

If the flac comes from the CD it's going to sound the same.

Yup, I totally agree with you, but some were saying it may have either been taken from the vinyl or from the linear dvd, and a bunch of people were swearing that the audio is better with less clipping. So I'm willing to give it a try at least.

I'm no expert on this and my 36yo ears probably means I never could be. But after the obviously distorted MP3 were leaked I was eagerly waiting to see what new I could pick up from the CD.

I notice that much difference :shrug:

I'm not really that bothered because I listen to most stuff from my iPod these days anyway, but still I expect something special from a CD.

ok, if we are going to resurrect this 96000 issue, we need to first be sure that the source is different. If the source is the CD, encoding a 96/24 Flac will not make any difference to the 44.1/16 CD copy...

Some are saying that the DVD is better, it's not DVD audio so if true we have to presume that it wasn't mastered as "hot"... We need facts first!

ok, if we are going to resurrect this 96000 issue, we need to first be sure that the source is different. If the source is the CD, encoding a 96/24 Flac will not make any difference to the 44.1/16 CD copy...

Some are saying that the DVD is better, it's not DVD audio so if true we have to presume that it wasn't mastered as "hot"... We need facts first!

What about the waveform comparisons? Also I posted a link in another thread that seemed to show that the LP was mastered by a different person. Perhaps the FLAC file was taken from the LP?

It's the loud CD era - gotta take it as the reality. It's been like this to most every artist these days. We should relax. At least, I do. I concentrate in the music and that's about it.

I was wondering if Linear has better sound levels. Has anybody taken screenshots of the waveforms (or whatever they're called) to prove it yet? Because I was just looking at the waveforms of my 320kbps mp3 CD rip, and they're not pretty.

Wave forms can be deceptive.

waveform.jpg

This is a segment of Boots from the album.
I made it appear in 3 different levels while playing because the only way I can capture the audio is to 'take it' from the CD. And when I am playing it, recording it or ripping it, I am capturing it based on the levels in my software. So it can fluctuate based on those levels and can appear more compressed or less compressed than the master source actually was.

You can do comparatives with same audio levels but it won't really give you a true reading on actual compression, especially when comparing two clips that have come from two different sources, with surely two different levels.

The audio on the CD is not a digital file, so it has to be transformed from those audio bits to a digital format and whenever this is done, it's based on the levels of your software settings. That's why I can rip Boots and make it look like that^.

Again, you can do comparisons based on same settings but pointing at a waveform and saying "look at all that compression" could be deceptive, because it's relative.

I think you'd need to take the original CD and the DVD and rip them at the same exact levels and compare and see if there is a difference. Not knowing the source of that 96khz, means that the differences could mean nothing.

I'm no audio expert, but when I tried to burn Joshua Tree songs along with ATYCLB songs, the latter were so much louder, I had to increase the volume of the former just to match, and I couldn't detect any buzzing from excessive output from the speakers. So, there is a way to increase the Joshua Tree's CD levels without exceeding what the system will take, I think. Surely, the CDs from the '80s and early '90s were mixed too softly, right?

Also, classical music fans are extremely deciphering and classical music CDs are at the forefront of the best music recording techniques. I think they've been using all digital since the '70s are at least the '80s. Surely, they'd have found a reason to complain if there was a problem with using only digital. So, I'm pretty sure DDD is superior to analogue or AAD or even ADD. Surely, the problem of maxing out volume levels is something other than digital technology's fault, then.

first thing i noticed when i put the cd in my car yesterday was the bass level being way too loud which made it sound wrong, and im not the kind of person that has bass set high in my car...

It is not U2 's fault, it is this stupid industiry who have no taste, no ear for music anyways.
was just listening to he soul cages by sting because I am in a reflective mood so to say.
this album sounds 4373636363 times better than anything of the last 10 years productionwise. Maybe also songwritingwise but that is a whole different discussion off course. I remember reading an interview with a hero of mine, alan wilder(former depeche mode) who was talking about the poor production nowadays. if you listen to the 80's stuff and beginning of the 90's it is so much better and more pleasant to listen to all this great music. this might also be a reason I do not lik the 00's U2 as much as I used to. I still feel the songs are not that great as they were butt you can not blame your heros running almost 50 (NLOTH IS a very good record) but productionwise it is so down your throat and I allways loved u2 more soundscapish if that does make any sense. Too a delicate ear which I believe I am this is a tough time being a musicfan :)

hmmm it sounds perfectly fine to me- even using the crappy cd walkman with headphones I can pick out most of the little sounds in the background- and on the regular cd player it sounds wonderful- but then I thought that Atomoc Bomb was fine as well

frankly if it annoys you that much I suggest you just don't listen to it

the questions is...Does the 600Mb flac sound the same as the cd, on the flac the drums are much more pronounced, almost tin like. Does the cd sound like this?

hmmm it sounds perfectly fine to me- even using the crappy cd walkman with headphones I can pick out most of the little sounds in the background- and on the regular cd player it sounds wonderful- but then I thought that Atomoc Bomb was fine as well

frankly if it annoys you that much I suggest you just don't listen to it

you know what the problem is? I bought the cd:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom