4th Single from NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
REALLY? I mean I haven't seen any numbers for Mofo or Last Night on Earth, but I sure never heard them even once on the radio......

LNOE charted at about the same place as Boots in the US, if I remember correctly. SATS hit the twenties and Disco hit number ten, but people forgot about both of them pretty quickly (SATS probably had a little more staying power than Disco, and could be considered Pop's biggest hit, but the promotion and final mixing of SATS didn't allow the song to realize its full potential). IGWSHA and Mofo, of course, failed miserably.

A lot of the negative reaction for Pop came after 1997... at least in the US, it got a reasonably positive reaction at first, although Disco stupified most people. I think the botched first night of PopMart hurt the album's legacy as a whole pretty badly.

REALLY? I mean I haven't seen any numbers for Mofo or Last Night on Earth, but I sure never heard them even once on the radio......

In the UK

Disco - 1 (One of the U2's biggest selling singles ever)
Starting - 3
LNOE - 10
Please - 7
IGWSHA - 12
Mofo - Not able to chart due to restrictions on length of single

Boots - 12 (Not even in their top 40 best selling)
Magnificent - 42
Crazy - 32

In the UK

Starting - 3
LNOE - 10
Please - 7
IGWSHA - 12

Magnificent - 42
Crazy - 32

Last Night on Earth a bigger hit than Get on Your Boots!?!?!? Amazing....

Oh, but that's UK. People have much better taste in the UK than US and POP did much better there than here.....

That travesty getting no.1 was purely down to all of the neds/chavs buying it so they could blast it out at maximum volume in a public area to annoy people.

I remember being personally pissed off at it as it meant COBL only reached no.2.

After SNL I'm tempted by a truncated MOS. But Breathe is the one with potential, although I'm starting to buy into this U2 block on the radio conspiracy with Magnificent and CT flopping, sure they could have been promoted more, but this is just bizarre. All told though it just makes their ticket sales even more impressive.

In the UK

Starting - 3
LNOE - 10
Please - 7
IGWSHA - 12

Magnificent - 42
Crazy - 32
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this a fair comparison? I was under the impression that the UK had (very) recently changed the way their singles are charted... ?

AIWIY isn't as awful as Desire, to that probably helped it compete with Desire.

They should have done the risky first-single route, like they did with WOWY and The Fly, but they went with Boots instead. I like Boots, but most people can't (don't want to) see any further into it then Vertigo, so they just saw a bunch of 48-year-olds doing the same things they were doing five years ago, yawned, and went back to Taylor Swift. The unfortunate thing is that Boots is a much, much better/deeper song than Vertigo, but it isn't as immediately-weird-sounding as MOS or UC or F-BB.

Spot on. When people I know, who aren't U2 fans, first heard Boots, their reaction was: 'meh, Vertigo part 2'. I love Boots, but the way that the album NLOTH was promoted and hyped in the UK, everyone was expecting the best sound they've ever heard.
The first single should have been No Line on the Horizon, then follwed by Boots, Crazy and Breathe.
This Christmas, U2 need to release their next single (either Breathe or NLOTH) with 2 B-sides. Print enough physicals for the fans to get their hands on and promote it properly. Then they'll have a top 10 hit and maybe revive the album.
Wishful thinking, I know.

I have always assumed the fourth single would me MOS or Breathe but I have a feeling that it will be UC.

I think for radio UC actually would go over better than MOS or Breathe. They should do some editing and release it. Just chop out the bahbahbahbahbbah part and maybe a bit more and just have Edge rip his solo for 2 minutes straight :drool:

:rockon:

Guys, if one would make a poll to see what people here think the 4th single will be, which options should be included. All NLOTH tracks save for the first 3 singles?

Or just:
No Line on the Horizon
Moment of Surrender
Unknown Caller
Breathe

I'd like to see what people really think the new single's going to be, rather than hearing what they want it to be.

i still don't think there is a 4th single folks. :up:

i'm all for it if it means that they're going to get SOA done.

i still don't think there is a 4th single folks. :up:

i'm all for it if it means that they're going to get SOA done.

That won't be an option as people got a 4 Vinyl singles box for NLOTH. Not for NLOTH & SOA. So there'll be 4 NLOTH singles.

I still detest the acronym SOA. That means STD in Dutch. :doh:

That won't be an option as people got a 4 Vinyl singles box for NLOTH. Not for NLOTH & SOA. So there'll be 4 NLOTH singles.

I still detest the acronym SOA. That means STD in Dutch. :doh:

hate to say it, but i still don't think a 4th single will happen, causing the many who bought the singles box asking "why did Bono lie?" :sad:

i believe Crazy Tonight was released in August, and now we're almost in November, and there's not even any chatter about a 4th single. i know there was a possible photo/video shoot in NY, but it doesn't look like that was related to any future single.

hate to say it, but i still don't think a 4th single will happen, causing the many who bought the singles box asking "why did Bono lie?" :sad:

i believe Crazy Tonight was released in August, and now we're almost in November, and there's not even any chatter about a 4th single. i know there was a possible photo/video shoot in NY, but it doesn't look like that was related to any future single.

:lol: Well played.

Perhaps it will be right before christmas for the last single? I really do not believe what people are saying, that we'll have the dvd for christmas. No way now there's also the UF boxset that we'll get the dvd this soon. So I would say it's possible for a single around that tie, which would heavily point to WAS, as the movie it's in will come out in december right?

:lol: Well played.

Perhaps it will be right before christmas for the last single? I really do not believe what people are saying, that we'll have the dvd for christmas. No way now there's also the UF boxset that we'll get the dvd this soon. So I would say it's possible for a single around that tie, which would heavily point to WAS, as the movie it's in will come out in december right?

:wink: i think "Bad" replaced WAS on the movie "Brothers". not sure on that though.

No way WAS is a single, but it is supposed to be in the soundtrack, Bad was just on the trailer.

Oh really? that's cool. i wonder if they would release WAS as a single. it's pretty much the opposite of radio friendly though.

edit. i can't find anything about the soundtrack. are we sure that WAS is definitely on it?

Back
Top Bottom