4th Single from NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i just wonder if we'll actually start to get some b-sides with the 4th single, now that it looks like Songs Of Ascent probably won't happen this year or next year, if at all.

since the single has lost most of its value as a commercial product I would wager no b-sides

With the 360 tour being the spectacle that it's going to be...I wouldn't be surprised if the 4th single ends up being an improvised version (read shorter) of MOS. If it's the closer to the show, then the crowd could be really into it and the song could be released prior to the start of the U.S. leg to help promote the tour with a live video.

Of course, the same could be said for SUC or Breathe...or either of these songs could be released as they are on the album, but still have a video that's taken from the best performance of the song on the first leg of U2360.

On Letterman, Breathe translated well in a live setting IMHO. The studio-video version of NLOTH sounds very good, too, so I would not count out that song being the 4th single since it is the title track and the video from the 360 set would get some play.

In fact, that's my prediction. NLOTH will be the 4th single, and the video will be a live version from one of the shows in Europe, and it will get a lot of play on the net, with radio play on Alternative/Modern Rock.

In fact, that's my prediction. NLOTH will be the 4th single.

I have a CD in my car with all the tracks off the album plus NLOTH2. My kids (aged 14 and 12) both sing along to NLOTH2 but nothing else. I think it would've been a great single and probably wasted as a b-side. I'm just not sure the album version is quite as addictive.

I have a CD in my car with all the tracks off the album plus NLOTH2. My kids (aged 14 and 12) both sing along to NLOTH2 but nothing else. I think it would've been a great single and probably wasted as a b-side. I'm just not sure the album version is quite as addictive.

I agree, it was totally wasted as a b-side. I actually prefer the album version, but NLOTH2 would be a perfect single.

I agree, it was totally wasted as a b-side. I actually prefer the album version, but NLOTH2 would be a perfect single.

Agreed on everything but the preferred version. I think NLOTH I and II both should've been on the album. Ofcourse, people will bitch that they're 'putting the same song on twice', but these two are NOT the same. The music's way different, the vocals are too and some of the lyrics. As stated above, I also have NLOTH with NLOTH II as final track on my ipod, and it just works. My only problem with the album is that it ends so incredibly sudden. It's just. .Cedars... *silence*. It's too abrubt. Now put NLOTH II there, and it's just crackin'! Going out with a bang.

And it would've been a fantastic fist single imo. Catchy, up tempo rocker.

Honestly, I would just throw anything including the kitchen sink at the charts/radio whatever, throw in the full version of Unknown Caller, if the pop kids/populites don't like the minute long intro, well live with it! If they don't like the sound of birds chirping out of their sound system, well live with it! If they complain about the fact that the damn song has no autotuned vocals, well live with it you goddamn bastards!

Um, sorry. I'll go take my aggression pills now ...

Unknown caller is a great song but it may be too close to "classic U2 teritorry" to work - look at what happened to Magnificent.

Moment of Surrender.

November rain is over 8 minutes long, still got to number 4 and was an album seller.

there was also a kick ass video to go along with November Rain that had contained a storyline, which added so much more to the song.

there was also a kick ass video to go along with November Rain that had contained a storyline, which added so much more to the song.

Also, their previous 3 singles from the Use Your Illusion albums were big hits (You Could Be Mine, Don't Cry, Live And Let Die), so radio and TV were more forgiving for an almost 9 minute single.
However, U2 hasn't had a big hit yet from NLOTH (GOYB was a modest one and Magnificent didn't chart at all in the USA).

I don't think any further singles are going to kick start the sales of this album. And their concert tickets will sell anyway. So I reckon don't bother with any more singles. Repackage the album, perhaps offer something else with it, as an attempt to get it to sell.

I don't think any further singles are going to kick start the sales of this album. And their concert tickets will sell anyway. So I reckon don't bother with any more singles. Repackage the album, perhaps offer something else with it, as an attempt to get it to sell.

But I have an official 7" singles box that holds 4 singles. So there has to be 4 singles or the universe will collapse.

With the 360 tour being the spectacle that it's going to be...I wouldn't be surprised if the 4th single ends up being an improvised version (read shorter) of MOS. If it's the closer to the show, then the crowd could be really into it and the song could be released prior to the start of the U.S. leg to help promote the tour with a live video.

Of course, the same could be said for SUC or Breathe...or either of these songs could be released as they are on the album, but still have a video that's taken from the best performance of the song on the first leg of U2360.

On Letterman, Breathe translated well in a live setting IMHO. The studio-video version of NLOTH sounds very good, too, so I would not count out that song being the 4th single since it is the title track and the video from the 360 set would get some play.

In fact, that's my prediction. NLOTH will be the 4th single, and the video will be a live version from one of the shows in Europe, and it will get a lot of play on the net, with radio play on Alternative/Modern Rock.

I agree with this except that I think the single will be Breathe. live video from the tour and probably a live version of a couple of songs on the singles. I also think breath will do quite well as a single. In my opinion, it probably should have been the second single. Magnificent was not a great single choice, in my opinion. No real hook in the song. It is a great song in the context of the album. The real issue with this album is that other than Crazy Tonight and breathe there are no real singles on there. This is an album to be enjoyed in its entirety, not in fragments. In fact, I see a lot of similarities between this album and The Unforgettable Fire. They both have similar constructions.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Last night, before singing Moment of Surrender, Bono said; "This should have been the first single, except it's not."

My money is on Moment of Surrender being the final single from the album.

:)

NLOTH
Magnificent
Boots
Breathe

maybe sub in CT, that's how I would have done it.

Come on Breathe! If there's any hope for rock on the radio, this song is it. (Magnificent was a few months ago... unfortunately people suck)

4th single from NLOTH

I gotta feeling it will be Breathe seeing as it regularly opens the shows plus it has that single like quality. I would've loved Moment of Surrender as the first single it might have got to number one here in the UK for a good few of weeks. well i can dream can't I? I personally think Boots was a bad choice as first single, i think it's far too similar to Vertigo. and maybe the record buying public didn't want another Vertigo like single from U2.

At first I thought it should have been NLOTH, then I wavered for months, and now I'm back to being in favour of it. I'm convinced this would do very, very well as a single.

I'm still 99% convinced it will be Breathe. Ever since I first heard that song it just shouted SINGLE at me. You may find it cheesy or too poppy, but nobody can deny its radio friendliness.

Back
Top Bottom