3rd single from NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's 7 out of 11 songs on NLOTH that could easily be played on radio.

No. only Magnificent, IMO, could be considered mainstream U2 stuff, it's the only song that really has "single" potential, that's why I'm surprised it isn't doing better, but as I said I don't listen to radio much and have no idea how much it's played.

SUC could be played on rock stations maybe also Breathe,.

All the other songs on NLOTH are not really radiofriendly, at least I don't know many station where they would fit, expect maybe some indie/alternative station. MOS is much too slow for radio, the same goes for WAS and COL. UC and Fez are too experimental, NLOTH could be radio friendly with its alternative version. GOYB was played on indie stations here, not mainstream, and Crazy Tonight could fit in, but isn't a good enough song to compete with the other stuff on radio right now. So I disagree. There isn't much radiofriendlyness about NLOTH and it's good that way.

And Stand Up Comedy is a great rocker and will be amazing live.

:crack:

I'm confused over the hate. can you not just blast up the buds and let that crazy ass riff take you over?

that deep, metallic sound is insane. I love the whole song. imagine the siren sound live!

Agreed. I don't understand the hate for this brilliant song on this board....

But then again I never understood the hyperbole over Magnificent either....

Stand Up Comedy should be released as a single, I thought it as soon as I first heard it. It would certainly make people sit up and take notice as its hardly a 'traditional' U2-single. Therefore it might entice a few more people to check out the album.

Crazy should be the 3rd single at this point. It's REALLY growing on me. Then, Moment of Surrender as the 4th single. I'd love for Breathe to have been one too, but if we're only going to have 4:

Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Moment of Surrender (Hopefully unedited.)

That represents the album well.

the singles market hasd changed so much in the last couple of years that I don't see U2 scoring a big monster single again- partly because they're not going to be released in a format that U2 fans will go and buy- b sides, live tracks etc- and they'd get my money- but remixes...no thanks

Magnificent is/was the "hit" single from the album- that it did so dismally here in the UK owes something to the complete absence of promotion/ airplay- and how much the market has changed

as for future singles, frankly I don't see the point- Breathe & Crazy Tonight are the only other suitable candidates but I don't see either of them doing any better than Magnificent

GOYB also flopped. Number 12 in the uk for a lead single is bad. But as I said, the charts have changed. And GOYB also got a much better position than Magnificent's 42...

What's people's thoughts? What do people think will happen with future single releases from NLOTH?

user_offline.gif

Simple, U2 are not as popular in the UK as they once were. They left it too late between albums and now KOL are the kings of England, bizzarly sounding more like U2 than U2 do!! I did predict this though........

complete absence of promotion/ airplay

Eh? They had bags of Airplay and promotion!!!! It was 'A' listed on Radio 2, the most listened to radio station in the Uk, 'A' listed on Radio 1 and Absolute radio. The Album / singles have bombed, worse that POP im afraid

What do you want a single to do?
You have to answer that question before you can hope to guess which the 3rd single will be.

Probably reasonable to think that the label (and to a lesser extent U2) want it to help sell the album. The label obviously would like to make cash but for U2, and their ambition to remain relevant, I'm sure it's important that the album do well in sales.

That said, we are probably past the crucial selling points.
Magnificent is the classic U2 song but since it was preceded by the oh-so 21st century U2-sounding Boots, I think Magnificent probably went down on a lot of deaf ears.

And let's face it, everyone knows U2, they don't need the exposure of the album, they need to expose that the album isn't as conventional as they've been. So would U2 want to throw something a little different out there to try and catch on some new listeners? Given that the the idea to 'sell' the thing with a catchy song is probably not a great one?

Well like others, I think there's only one of three ways to go here.
Choose Crazy Tonight and try and move units with a pop single.
Choose something a little off the beaten path, like MOS or UC.
Choose Breathe for a comfortable rock choice.

I think MOS and UC have little chance of being performed live, so I rule them out as the 3rd single (maybe 4th or 5th).

So I would think they'd go with Crazy Tonight or Breathe next. Probably the former.
If it were my decision I would choose NLOTH, although it wouldn't interest many poppy heads, it's also not a standard rocker that's going to get a lukewarm reaction from those skeptical or ignorant to U2 but not ignorant to bluesy rock from the last 40 years.

So yeah, I'd go with NLOTH. Fuck it, why not?

There are some great choices here but the idea has got to be to open some eyes and tune in some ears. Try something a little different.

I dunno, if they released Unknown Caller or MOS, I would be the first to path them on the back, I just don't think they will get a version live that they are happy with. UC will not work without the big greek chorus.

complete absence of promotion/ airplay

Eh? They had bags of Airplay and promotion!!!! It was 'A' listed on Radio 2, the most listened to radio station in the Uk, 'A' listed on Radio 1 and Absolute radio. The Album / singles have bombed, worse that POP im afraid

sorry- meant I never once saw the video- not even on Q channel- I don't listen to music radio so can't comment on that- since it would been played on every show as an "A" list track then it clearly didn't connect with the general public- or perhaps people just bought the album instead??

I would agree that the singles have been a dismal failure from a chart success perspective- but other bands who've traditonally charted well have struggled recently- Oasis, Depeche Mode and even Take That didn't do well with whatever the last single was called- the i-tunes generation drives the singles charts- and I don't see U2 connecting with them

the album hasn't sold well, but it's still the top selling album of the year so relative to the rest it's doing well

To be honest, I don't listen to radio for my music. I love U2. I put the CD in and listen to the songs.

I agree. The title track should've been the first single, just to show that U2 was still there but that the album was less conventional than the two predecessors. Then, Magnificent should be released shortly after as a second single but with the role of a real lead single.

I would love for you to show me how MOS sounds like anything on adult contemporary stations... You're either trying way too hard to troll or you are on drugs.

You'll have to try harder than just tossing insults to win an argument.

MOS is adult contemporary with gospel and organs added.

the singles market hasd changed so much in the last couple of years that I don't see U2 scoring a big monster single again- partly because they're not going to be released in a format that U2 fans will go and buy- b sides, live tracks etc- and they'd get my money- but remixes...no thanks

Magnificent is/was the "hit" single from the album- that it did so dismally here in the UK owes something to the complete absence of promotion/ airplay- and how much the market has changed

as for future singles, frankly I don't see the point- Breathe & Crazy Tonight are the only other suitable candidates but I don't see either of them doing any better than Magnificent

yeah pretty much agree, they took time off during this big change in the industry and returned with the attitude [or rather the label did] that everything was still like the '90s.

again why did no one buy GOYB dl? why did it flop while other dls' go into the Top 3?

Pick any slow, melodramatic ballad about love-makin' and the like on your favourite adult contemporary station and you get the idea.

Pick any slow, melodramatic ballad about love-makin' and the like on your favourite adult contemporary station and you get the idea.

:lol: Wow...

So, because it's slow, it's adult contemporary?

You honestly don't think this song is about "love-makin" do you?

You're failing... big time.

:lol: Wow...

So, because it's slow, it's adult contemporary?

You honestly don't think this song is about "love-makin" do you?

You're failing... big time.

As you might know, Bono's lyrics are always open for various interpretations. And by "love-makin' and the like" I meant a whole bunch of the usual themes. Marriage, addiction, temptation, etc.

I'm not failing, you just don't want it to be ac. It's in the same vein as Stuck in Moment. But I guess that isn't ac either?

I'm not failing, you just don't want it to be ac. It's in the same vein as Stuck in Moment. But I guess that isn't ac either?

No, I could see how some would label Stuck as ac, I just can't see how anyone would label MOS as ac.

I've heard MOS as being labeled subtle.

...has no crescendo.

...has no melody.

...has no real chorus.

...meanders.

None of which screams to me AC.

I STRONGLY disagree with anyone who labels MOS 'adult contemporary.'

It's an emotional smack in the face! I wonder why those who so deeply don't get the song would enjoy other U2 material? But maybe that's just me.....:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom