3rd single from NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Edge has said in the past, maybe Bono too, that they wanted to be regarded as "relevant", now I am pretty sure that includes being in the various charts too, a matter of pride ie them not being an AC/DC or Stones, where it's about the past... they might be getting nearer that territory but I think the hardcore still care about the new record enough, no, it's also about the more casual music fans who buy tickets later on.. has it clicked with them? if so, then you get a big seller and more of those Top 40 hits maybe...
ironically the U2 harcore fans are the ones who have probably done more to create the feeling that U2 is about the past than media and/or casual listeners have

if one is to regard this forum as the place where U2 hardcore fans harbour then it would seem that even the band's supposedly die-hard fans have spent the best part of the 00s whining for a return to the days of yore
even when discussing possible 360 setlists the focus is on dumping on Boots and yearning for any track older than 10 years

if U2 is about its past then we are more to blame for this than anyone else

don't shoot me, i don't know what your experiences are, but among my friends/acquaintances outside the hardcore U2 fanbase, U2 pretty much seem to be perceived as zzzzzzz "grandad rock" these days, whereas kings of leon are not... :shrug:

don't shoot me, i don't know what your experiences are, but among my friends/acquaintances outside the hardcore U2 fanbase, U2 pretty much seem to be perceived as zzzzzzz "grandad rock" these days, whereas kings of leon are not... :shrug:

i think it's an age thing. i'm 28, and i would say most people i know either really like U2 or at least respect them. but if you go down even 5 years in age, the attitude towards U2 is much different.

i think it's an age thing. i'm 28, and i would say most people i know either really like U2 or at least respect them. but if you go down even 5 years in age, the attitude towards U2 is much different.

i'm quite a bit older than 28 (yikes that hurts seeing that in print!), and that's been my experience with my peers and also friends who are older than me, and for quite a few years now... i got ridiculed for admitting i'd got tix to Elevation tour lmao! U2 were pretty cool among my peers around Achtung Baby tour (when i was early 20s) though... maybe it's a cultural thing? maybe their fanbase is wider/stronger in the US than the UK? i dunno... must admit that French friends my age, older and younger, love U2, but then they also love Supertramp and Johnny Haliday :D

I'm 23 and love U2, but yeah, most other people my age are not into them at all so it probably is an age thing

i'm quite a bit older than 28 (yikes that hurts seeing that in print!), and that's been my experience with my peers and also friends who are older than me, and for quite a few years now... i got ridiculed for admitting i'd got tix to Elevation tour lmao! U2 were pretty cool among my peers around Achtung Baby tour (when i was early 20s) though... maybe it's a cultural thing? maybe their fanbase is wider/stronger in the US than the UK? i dunno... must admit that French friends my age, older and younger, love U2, but then they also love Supertramp and Johnny Haliday :D

i think that shows too that sometimes all it comes down to is taste and perception.......and of course who you know. i'm friends with a lot of musicians, many of whom are into bands like The Talking Heads, Radiohead, and Indie music, so naturally most of them enjoy U2's 90's stuff.

A band that released a compilation called U2:18 Singles, doesn't care about singles and how they do? :lmao:

Let's be honest: in the US, U2 hasn't had big chart success since Achtung Baby. Pop, ATYCLB, and HTDAAB all had big first singles - huge - and then basically everything else flopped. But those lead singles were enough to fuel the sales, the tour, etc.

The only difference now is that NLOTH had a loser for a first single. And that U2 has enough credibility to tour big without a big album.

If they're not going to take their single releases seriously and not try and get some radio play I don't really see the point. Magnificent is a great song and there is no excuse for why it did so poorly other than bad promotion.

A band that released a compilation called U2:18 Singles, doesn't care about singles and how they do? :lmao:

omg!!11 great example!!111

anywho, i know it's only a couple years, but 2006 U2 and 2009 U2 are completely different entities. it's obvious and you're ignoring it.

U2 obviously care tremendously about singles, that's all they care about, why else do you think they released a whole album of obvious short radio-friendly songs this time around?

You people are kidding yourselves. Come on, obvious eye candy album cover, straight forward pop tunes, even a little rapping to try and compete with Kanye, shout outs to cockatoos and mac users, and the most obvious a stellar PR machine.

If the current U2 singles had done well, the people saying that "U2 don't care about how the singles do in the charts" would be talking about how important it is for U2 to be affirmed that they are still relevant and still has the ability to reach out to the young music buying audience.

If the current U2 singles had done well, the people saying that "U2 don't care about how the singles do in the charts" would be talking about how important it is for U2 to be affirmed that they are still relevant and still has the ability to reach out to the young music buying audience.

you can count me out of your inaccurate generalization, as U2's relevance and ability to reach out to the younger audience has never been important to me.

Dude, you must have like ESPN or something... you can totally read minds.

you can count me out of your inaccurate generalization, as U2's relevance and ability to reach out to the younger audience has never been important to me.

But it might very well be to U2, and U2 are probably important to you.

When we did a top 50 competition not long ago Magnificent made the top 10 overall really easily, and that competition had little if any strategic voting

Agreed. The lack of "strategic voting" is what made your top 50 a far better indicator of what people who post here actually like rather than the flawed "survivor"-style voting going on now. It's really a joke watching people say "I'm forced to vote off Song X to protect Song Y". That pretty much ruins the credibility of that kind of polling.

Btw, IMO Magnificent is easily one of U2's top 10 songs of all time. However, the album version is better than the hacked up single version I've heard (and the similar video version). I really like the video overall though, just think they should have used the longer album version, especially because of the long intro.

Should've been, imo:

NLOTH, just to show how different they were going. Just like they did with the Fly.

MOS, would've had to edit, but there's a good cut in there. Very adult top 40 radio friendly.

Breathe, nice rock song for the European tour

Crazy, U2 at it's u2ness for the American tour.

I said all along Mag was a terrible choice for a single. It's not a bad song, but it's an almost traditional disco song. Could've been a fifth radio only single, though I would've done SUC instead.

Nevermind, Snowlock. U2 doesn't care about their singles so why would they care about the song selection or the order of the songs?

Nevermind, Snowlock. U2 doesn't care about their singles so why would they care about the song selection or the order of the songs?

Well, that's kind of off target isn't it? Bono himself said that when he was growing up, everything was singles driven and he's always had an eye on singles. It's why they punched up Vertigo from Native Son, redid Sometimes and Always, didn't release Red Hill Mining Town, didn't finish Winter, constantly redid the pop singles, and on and on etc etc.

Now we're saying U2 isn't a singles band? Lol, did someone tell Paul McG?

Now if someone wanted to argue U2 isn't an AOR band anymore, and are going to make their money on touring (a la the Stones and Police) fair enough. But not singles? Umm, no, sorry, wrong band.

ps, I knew you were being sarcastic. But saw it as a soap box invitation so I jumped on :bonodrum:

...I guess part of the reason Magnifcent flopped in the UK was that all the remixes leaked a fortnight prior to release in excellent MP3 quality + then the GOYB mix was streamed on stereogum and obviously people grabbed an MP3 of that too... plus much of the fanbase had the Boston show.. Live bsides mean little now as almost everything is bootlegged in high quality...

I guess for a U2 single to do well in this era, you have to offer a new song

....btw VH1 in the US has started playing the Magnifient video on it's "the audience is still half a sleep" shift aka Jumpstart, it and that awful Fray 'everyone dies in a nuclear war" video, yuck... :crack:

I accidently listened to parts of our charts yesterday while doing some other stuff at home, then I went to bed and listened to NLOTH. I just thought: This has nothing to do with the music played on the radio. I'm always amazed by the songs that are in the charts and the videos that are being played on music channels, it's hard to take, there is so much crap. It's a sign of the times and how people "listen" to music, it's not U2's mistake. People have actually forgotten to "listen" to music. When I hear one of U2's songs, I really want to sit down and listen to it and take it all in and really concentrate on the music. When I listen to radio it's just some background noise, nothing more. So I don't think I'm very worried about U2 not being good in the charts. Apart from that, there are a lot of great acts who aren't very successful in the charts. U2 are mainly a live band and I don't think the general music listening public has discovered the greatness of their latest record yet because it just doesn't fit into today's music.

NLOTH is a rock song like any other played on the radio.

Magnificent is a common disco-beat tune, radiofriendly earcandy.

MOS is just about created for adult contemporary radiostations.

UC - Not radiofriendly

Crazy - Old style U2 song. Can easily fit on pop/rock radio.

Boots - This was created for radio. And is easily crappier than 90% of what's played on radio today, btw.

Stand Up Comedy - Crappy enough to figure on radio stations.

Fez - Not radio stuff.

White as Snow - Could be late evening stuff on most radio stations.

Breathe - Can't be separated from most mainstream rock radio stuff.

Cedars of Lebanon - Not radio stuff.

That's 7 out of 11 songs on NLOTH that could easily be played on radio.

Back
Top Bottom