2 halves of the album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eas

The Fly
a thought about Edge's "two halves" comment:

Crazy Tonight is the hinge between the two parts?

If track 1 is the first version of NLOTH (which seems to be the case)
tracks 1-4 clearly clearly share a similar feeling

GOYB would start the second more rocking half-followed by Stand Up Comedy and eventually Breathe (also big rockers).

Just a thought

they could also be referring to the Anton Corbin film, if that contains songs not present on the album.

a thought about Edge's "two halves" comment:

Crazy Tonight is the hinge between the two parts?

If track 1 is the first version of NLOTH (which seems to be the case)
tracks 1-4 clearly clearly share a similar feeling

GOYB would start the second more rocking half-followed by Stand Up Comedy and eventually Breathe (also big rockers).

Just a thought

Doubt that this is the case as NLOTH is a Punk rock song and i am guessing white as snow is a ballad

Maybe the 'two halves' statement is, NLOTH album is the 'first half' and the follow-up album (considering Universal told a DJ that there is only one other single planned for this album) will be the 'second half'.

Part 1: No Line On the Horizon
Part 2: Unknown album, fall 2009.

Wishful thinking, I know. :)

Well in all fairness the whole "two halves" idea was more prevelant when vinyl albums were around because you would literally have two sides of an album. So bands would take that into consideration with what track they put as the second album...now a days the only way to REALLY do that is to have a double CD. And even THAT is getting phased out due to online downloading and ipods where all of the songs appear on one huge list.

so who knows?

That's why I'm interested in hearing both NLOTH versions on the album, one at the beginning and one at the end. It would mean there is one "daylight" and one "darkness" version of that song. Or it closes the circle with sunrise/sunset. Nice concept.

That's why I'm interested in hearing both NLOTH versions on the album, one at the beginning and one at the end. It would mean there is one "daylight" and one "darkness" version of that song. Or it closes the circle with sunrise/sunset. Nice concept.

That's definately cool. My first thoughts are that the ambient version is first being the darkness part of the record and the rock songs to be on the daylight version.

I thought the layered version of No Line would fit better on the 1st half because of the descriptions of MOS and what I have heard of the beach clips.

I also think Crazy Tonight... would be a great divider of the album because it "sounds" different (the descriptions in the press) than the other songs. It could be an hor d'oeuvre for the second half.

I thought the layered version of No Line would fit better on the 1st half because of the descriptions of MOS and what I have heard of the beach clips.

I also think Crazy Tonight... would be a great divider of the album because it "sounds" different (the descriptions in the press) than the other songs. It could be an hor d'oeuvre for the second half.

I'm assuming the first half is darkness. Of course I don't know anything yet. :D

Here is my theory on the "two halves" comment:

60 or so songs were written. The band took what they thought was best from those and started reworking/producing them more until it got to a point where the original songs got so over-worked that they began sounding an awful lot like HTDAAB tracks. Someone in the band said "uh-oh. We can't release another one of these. We need more time." (Hence the delay). In the time between the delay and the final decisions, it was decided to throw a lot more of the original "improvisational" ideas back into the mix from the original sessions and not work them over so much, in order to have a more "experimental/non-scripted" feel to the album. Now, what we'll have is an album of two halves: one half are the songs that were reworked and kicked around for a long time and the other half are the ones that were thrown in last minute to give the album more of a different feel and "flavor" than the last two albums. However, I do also believe that within this wealth of material that was written, they have enough music to go ahead and release another "two-halves" kind of album later this year or sometime next year...or possibly just one filled with the original songs without much reworking based on how the fans react to this album and the fact that they are touring soon and won't get a chance to work the songs over and over.

Again, that is all just a theory or speculation, if you will.

Again, that is all just a theory or speculation, if you will.

From Lanois' comments it's clear they were going to rework songs but they wanted a spontaneous feel and tweaking songs wouldn't achieve that. They then re-recorded songs with the changes in mind so that it would still sound more spontaneous. Also Lanois mentioned a more dry clear production quality this time around as opposed to a murky mix so we won't hear an Achtung Baby sound (very murky). If it's not overproduced like the last two albums then I think it will have its own character.

(considering Universal told a DJ that there is only one other single planned for this album)

I've sleeping for the last hours...woke up just a few minutes ago...where did you heard that??

I highly doubt that was meant to be taken literally. Not a clear distinction.

It was a general feel of two halves and I think the tracklisting would certainly be a mixture.

Besides, when picking the tracks for the album, I doubt much mind was paid to what goes with what half. I would think they just wanted the best 11.

Maybe the 'two halves' statement is, NLOTH album is the 'first half' and the follow-up album (considering Universal told a DJ that there is only one other single planned for this album) will be the 'second half'.

Part 1: No Line On the Horizon
Part 2: Unknown album, fall 2009.

Wishful thinking, I know. :)

Must...not...get my hopes up...
Oh, screw it.
:hyper::drool::hyper::drool::hyper:

I always thought the one other single comment simply meant only one single had been selected so far, and the rest would be decided on later

I think people trying to make connections about style of song is wrong. You cant say half is ballads, half is rockers.

Two halves will have a lot to do with song structure, lyrics, melodies and themes. We cant know any of this until we hear it

Back
Top Bottom