13 (There Is A Light)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TinKnight

Refugee
It's been a long time since a U2 song has affected me to my core like this one.

It's been a tough year for me as a young, but getting older adult. I've wised up that it's a mean world out there, and I'm sure a lot of people in the age of Trump, had their bubble popped that things are upward trending. It's so easy to turn your cheek; being kind is a weakness.

This is a song for someone. Its what I hope I would write to me currently, when I'm an old man.

Sorry if this is corny, but damn, I'm a wreck over here.

I feel like I'm in the minority, but I like Song For Someone. I didn't realize until recently that it seems to be disliked by a fair amount of people here. I'm impressed with the way they managed to transform the purity of the original to moody reflectiveness while maintaining the hook. The pitch-bending strings on the choruses are a nice touch. Great closer for the album on its own, and for the two records as a whole.

I like SFS as well - it's not my favourite, but a bit of cheese and vulnerability never hurt anyone.

This song is a perfect expansion. And just like the other callbacks, it makes SFS a better song knowing the circle was completed.

Song For Someone is a great song.

As is Sometimes You Can’t Make It, and others like them.

Sometimes you just have to tune out the background chatter of the “critics” and appreciate really good music for being really good music.

SFS chorus deserved better than the lame performances on I+e. This is a nice coda, but really hope it isn't their last album. To paraphrase Rocky, they've still got some stuff in the basement.

Great tune - very atmospheric, and a good way to close the album.

The last verse is hauntingly beautiful. We've had more ambitious and unique album closers, but this one is genuine and affecting in a way few others have been.

I feel like I'm in the minority, but I like Song For Someone. I didn't realize until recently that it seems to be disliked by a fair amount of people here. I'm impressed with the way they managed to transform the purity of the original to moody reflectiveness while maintaining the hook. The pitch-bending strings on the choruses are a nice touch. Great closer for the album on its own, and for the two records as a whole.

I love SFS, especially the "calvary" ending, it's gorgeous. There aren't many songs that make me shiver, but the end of that one does. Corny, I know. I can't wait to hear the SFS bridge song on SOE. I'm waiting till Friday, can't wait! Did I say "can't wait" enough?

I'm surprised there are so few posts about this song. Its one of the best album closers they have ever had. Such an honest, well written and emotional lyric by Bono.

This song packs one hell of a punch. It puts a lump in my throat every time I listen to it. That last verse is so powerful, leading into a beautiful chorus. A perfect bookend to a wonderful album. U2 does understated so well.

This song packs one hell of a punch. It puts a lump in my throat every time I listen to it. That last verse is so powerful, leading into a beautiful chorus. A perfect bookend to a wonderful album. U2 does understated so well.

I've read a few reviews that say the song is trying to hard to be a motivational meme or whatever.

It's like, and I hate to say it because it sounds pretentious, they just don't get it. It's supposed to be bare and simple and childish. It's the whole point. That's why it works.

I don't hate Song For Someone but I don't like it much either, I just find it very inoffensive.

That being said this song took my favourite part from Song For Someone and really improved on it - its one of my favourite songs on the album

Not a big cryer, but I've burst into tears each time I've listened to this one. I think it's beautiful and I love it, but being careful where and when I listen--don't need the red eyes and blotchy face!

I wish this was just called There is a Light.

I wish it was just called 13, though that may have spawned too many unfair comparisons to 40 (they're nothing alike and have nothing to do with each other).

Cannot listen to this one without getting all the feels. I know I'm in the minority but I loved Song For Someone, so 13 is the perfect call back to me. And the lyrics - its a beautiful song to an adult child. Darkness gathers around the light. Hold on. Perfect way to end this beautiful album. :heart:

Best song on the album. Best in the last four albums for me. If people wanted the ache back in Bono's lyrics and delivery, they should be satisfied with this.

Last edited:
Cannot listen to this one without getting all the feels. I know I'm in the minority but I loved Song For Someone, so 13 is the perfect call back to me. And the lyrics - its a beautiful song to an adult child. Darkness gathers around the light. Hold on. Perfect way to end this beautiful album. :heart:

Not a big cryer, but I've burst into tears each time I've listened to this one. I think it's beautiful and I love it, but being careful where and when I listen--don't need the red eyes and blotchy face!

Same here. I still can’t listen to it without crying. I actually kind of avoid it because I know I’m going to cry.

The whole last verse is heartbreaking.

I know the world is done
But you don't have to be
I've got a question for the child in you before it leaves
Are you tough enough to be kind?
Do you know your heart has its own mind?
Darkness gathers around the light
Hold on
Hold on

The vocal delivery of these lines feels so genuine and convincing that it earns its sentimentality tenfold.

I love this song as it finished the thread by reprising the song for someone refrain... It closes the loop for me. Bono shines on this one both lyrically and delivery. Just incredible song. On a side note, this album is so strong for me. You know 40 years on these guys good produce magic.

Back
Top Bottom