Unburied Treasure and Stories for...crabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhiannon64

War Child
I hope I am posting this in the right place. My apologies, if I'm not. So, a few months back I was going through some old boxes in the attic and low and behold I found some old U2 items from the 80's...Musician magazines, Propaganda fanzines, Amnesty stuff, a JT Tour rider, an article from the local newspaper from the ZooTV Tour, a Q mag from '93...I even found a NME paper from 1983 with Bowie on the cover and some other things...It was really cool to find all this stuff. A lot of it went missing after I moved out of my parents house...Wasn't there something called the U2 six pack 45 collection? I think "A Celebration" was in that one. I remember it was hard to get...All gone. So I was very happy to see that some stuff survived..

So the story for crabs....I remember I had a magazine/newspaper from 1986 with Bono on the cover with a full beard. I remember the picture kinda scared me at the time...maybe that's why it never made it to the box...anyway...I want to say it was Hot Press (?), maybe an Irish music paper...I really can't remember...but Bono told this great parable of how when crabs are in a bucket there's always one that tries to get out but the others will try to pull it back down. Does anyone know this article that I am talking about? Please tell me someone does so that I know I'm not making stuff up. If so, where, when is it from and could it be posted?

Many thanks!

Sorry , no idea , long beards on Bono scare me anyway. I only remember Bono having a long beard around 1996 ish? Maybe you should look for a hot press around that date?

long beards on Bono scare me anyway.

Me, too!:lol: He had that beard for a while from the end of 1985 to early/mid 86ish! I just couldn't wait for him to shave it off! Really I was scared! The stubble I could live with.

I tried hot press covers.. so it wasn't that paper, I remember it was a paper that could be folded. (Oh who can remember--it was so long ago). I just recall the story. I don't think it was NME...I want to say the cover shot was a tight shot of his face...and that beard!

Thank you, tho for replying.

No idea, but I love me an excuse for some beardy Bono.
2q21co4.jpg

That was from when he just came back from Africa.

Now THIS is my kinda beard. :drool: (Yes Grace, if you read this, this is, in fact, the only JT era pic of Bono that can make me drool).

2yugkux.jpg

:hmm: I love a good Bono mystery, though I admit I can't always solve them. I must say the crab story does seem vaguely familiar, but I don't recall it exactly. I searched through all the magazine covers I have uploaded in Photobucket and don't see one that fits, but I do have a lot of U2 magazines stored at home I can take a look through to see if something fits. I'll let you know if I find something.

And very cool on finding some of your old stuff!

And by the way, did the pic that Gg posted ring any bells? Is that the bearded Bono you remember? That 1986 time would be the most beardy we have ever seen him for sure.

bonobeard2.jpg

Other times might include, the pre-haircut 1994 (RED):wink: beard:

BonoMichaelHutchence12-19946cigCopyrightTimDouglas-CameraPressLondon.jpg

bonobeardyruffles1.jpg

the 1995 post-cut beard:

bonocigwatchscan.jpg

bonoprepophatbeardlovefxsmjsmall.jpg

and the 1996 post-buzz POP goatee:

BonoDublinHanoverQAutumn1996fx.jpg

bwbonopopbeardprofile.jpg

Oh, and the 2003... er... whatever-this-is...
wtfsmiley.gif

BonobeardMusiCaresrehearsal2-20-2003.jpg

That was fun... :shifty:

Hmmm... everything else, I put in the "scruff" category.

I will get back to you on the magazine search!

:hmm: I love a good Bono mystery, though I admit I can't always solve them. I must say the crab story does seem vaguely familiar, but I don't recall it exactly. I searched through all the magazine covers I have uploaded in Photobucket and don't see one that fits, but I do have a lot of U2 magazines stored at home I can take a look through to see if something fits. I'll let you know if I find something.

And very cool on finding some of your old stuff!

And by the way, did the pic that Gg posted ring any bells? Is that the bearded Bono you remember? That 1986 time would be the most beardy we have ever seen him for sure.

bonobeard2.jpg

Other times might include, the pre-haircut 1994 (RED):wink: beard:

BonoMichaelHutchence12-19946cigCopyrightTimDouglas-CameraPressLondon.jpg

That was fun... :shifty:

Hmmm... everything else, I put in the "scruff" category.

I will get back to you on the magazine search!

It's cold outside...it gets so hot in here...:drool:
WOW!!! Thank you so much for the awesome pictures! Oh my~The man has some pretty intense, blue eyes...Wow! Not that I haven't noticed before. That first one you posted could have been...Whew...My 27 year younger self would have certainly reacted to that photo considering the last time I really saw any photos prior to that time would have been Live Aid and then of course the Clannad video. So I remember the photo was a shocker for me. (Dare I say it again...and those eyes!) Is there a magazine with that photo on the cover...or from that photo shoot? It's from the same photo shoot as the one Galeongirl posted, correct? (Thank you Galeongirl :wave:) I know it wasn't the red beard 94 pic (um...can't see his eyes in that one. That one wouldn't scared me much anyway)...and I know it was definitely 86...

I am very grateful and really do appreciate you checking. Thank you! We have a Reader's Guide for Periodicals here in the States, I wonder if there is something similar for European publications.

And the search continues for the crab story....

Oh that red beard photo is just one of many, I posted the one with his eyes sort of shut because it showed off the beard pretty well, but there are a lot more. They were never magazine covers as far as I know though.

:hmm: It's possible the other photo shoot could have been on a cover. My mind is a little rustier these days though so I can't pull it off the top of my head. I will have a look though later today when I'm home!

And yeah... uh huh. Wild-man Bono in a bath robe is not a bad thing. :shifty:

bonooutofafrica.jpg

Oh, not men in long beards when it's going grey. Why do they like it for? I don't. You can't see their face, their cheekbones, their lips, their jaw. Plus it looks kinda dirty. I always remember that Roald Dahl book I read as a kid when I see long beards. Food and drink gets stuck in. :down:

The Twits, that was what the book was called. I saw a production of it a a local theatre as well.

Finally at home today with a little bit of time to do some digging for this magazine. I'll let you know if I turn something up! :hmm:

Well damn, for a moment I thought I'd found it. Just came across an old Spin, still in the large format, and with a beardy Bono on the cover. (He looks hot too. :drool:) But I read throught the article quickly and see no mention of crabs, unless I missed it. It's a fantastic article though, and I really don't even remember reading it before. Maybe I didn't! :reject: LOL. Bono is very pissy and moody throughout, and they all talk about sex a lot. (Well except for Larry, he doesn't seem to be a part of the interview.)

Back to digging....

Well damn, for a moment I thought I'd found it. Just came across an old Spin, still in the large format, and with a beardy Bono on the cover. (He looks hot too. :drool:) But I read throught the article quickly and see no mention of crabs, unless I missed it. It's a fantastic article though, and I really don't even remember reading it before. Maybe I didn't! :reject: LOL. Bono is very pissy and moody throughout, and they all talk about sex a lot. (Well except for Larry, he doesn't seem to be a part of the interview.)

Back to digging....

That sounds like something to see. Would you mind posting that too?

Back to digging....

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for looking, Bonocomet!

The Spin mag: Is that the one from January of 89? Found that one. The interview from this mysterious newspaper/magazine is just with Bono from what I remember in a large newspaper type format. I recall keeping it folded up and in an old plastic record sleeve. The crab story was toward the end of the article. I also just found a UK Record Mirror newpaper from Nov. of 1980. (Nothing to do with this post) It has a baby picture of Bono holding flowers on the cover. Don't think I ever read through that article. Man was he cute! :heart:

And the moral of this story is: When your parents tell you to take all your things with you when you move out you'd better listen. Otherwise, 27 years later you will be searching the world for a story about crabs!

If this article can't be found, maybe someone can just ask Bono to tell the story again.

The Spin is from Jan 89, yes! Did you like that cover? Not too scary and pretty sexy I think. :wink:

That sounds like something to see. Would you mind posting that too?

Yes! I can't do it right away, I'll have to put it on my list of things to do. I've been meaning to add to a thread I started a while ago too which is just for scanning and posting full U2 magazine articles. :reject:

Rhiannon you may want to have a look through this thread too, as you might find some stuff you've missed.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f195/u2-magazine-article-scans-212625.html

And unfortunately it looks like I didn't have this one, sorry! I hope you find it!

Thank you, Bonocomet for looking. I really do appreciate it! :) Also, the link to the U2 Magazine scans was awesome. It was great reading the articles. Still have more to go through...

And the search continues....

Back
Top Bottom