U2 frontman Bono slated for 'war criminal' support by bandmate Larry Mullen Jr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I generally agree with you, I'm not really mad at Larry, I sometimes have similar feelings towards certain pics, I think he's made a bad mistake, I can even think he's not very much used to talk to the media, but Larry is intelligent and he should have thought about how this way of saying things would affect Bono in public. I'm sorry I can't find any excuse for his mentioning Bono's family in public, I repeat, in public.
So I'm not saying Bono is perfect and nobody can critise him, no, I'm saying Larry's way of doing it has been too harsh and it will invite all the people bashing Bono every time he does something to say: here you are, even his mates can't stand or trust him. (Apart from the splitting romours we'll quite surely see on the yellow press, which I don't really care about)

He didn't mention anything specific "in public". He said that it is taking a toll on his family. That statement is only speaking the obvious out loud. Being away from your home all the time working - for whatever reason - is going to take a toll on your family. = obvious. He is not saying that their marriage is or their kids are in trouble, just that it takes a toll. Not seeing / being with your husband / father for long periods of time takes a toll.

Besides, isn't Bono the one who announced to the world the long-hidden name and gender of Larry's youngest child? :sexywink:

The normally reserved musician has launched a stinging attack on his frontman for his involvement with the two world leaders in an interview with music magazine Q.

:lmao: I don't think Larry had planned to LAUNCH anything!!

This thread is cracking me up, though, and it's the reason I tend to stay out of EYKIW and FYM - everyone gets their hackles up! I also find it smile-worthy that, generally speaking, the Bonophiles are shaking their heads at Larry and the LarryGirls are patting him on the back. I love fans! :hug:

And, sheesh boys, if you'd released the album we wouldn't be hanging on your every single word, we'd just be swinging to the music :wink:!

I generally agree with you, I'm not really mad at Larry, I sometimes have similar feelings towards certain pics, I think he's made a bad mistake, I can even think he's not very much used to talk to the media, but Larry is intelligent and he should have thought about how this way of saying things would affect Bono in public. I'm sorry I can't find any excuse for his mentioning Bono's family in public, I repeat, in public.
So I'm not saying Bono is perfect and nobody can critise him, no, I'm saying Larry's way of doing it has been too harsh and it will invite all the people bashing Bono every time he does something to say: here you are, even his mates can't stand or trust him. (Apart from the splitting romours we'll quite surely see on the yellow press, which I don't really care about)

The point I'm trying to make is that this is being judged as very harsh on Larry's part when you can't really tell for sure. I have seen print transcripts of interviews that give a totally different impression to what you get when you can actually see and hear the person making the statements. The only way Larry could avoid his views being twisted by the press would be to say absolutely nothing which is totally unfair to Larry as he has every right to state his own opinions. The press has been trying to get the band members to really blast Bono since all the way back at the beginning of his campaigning in 98. All through the Elevation and Vertigo tours the press would needle the others trying to get some juicy tidbit of a fight going and for the most part the others resisted. They would comment on the fact that his absences do affect the band and recording etc., but when pressed to express resentment they usually would put their foot down about the fact that they do support Bono.

The interview that I mentioned was one where Larry had obviously had quite enough of people trying to start fights between band members and he was quite emphatic in his support of Bono in spite of whatever disagreements they might have about methods. Anyone with any worries about how Larry really feels can get a very clear picture from that interview. Larry has stated many times that he is actually in awe of Bono's courage in doing what he knows will work in spite of how he knows it will be seen and twisted in the press and in people's minds.

Dana

:lmao: I don't think Larry had planned to LAUNCH anything!!

This thread is cracking me up, though, and it's the reason I tend to stay out of EYKIW and FYM - everyone gets their hackles up! I also find it smile-worthy that, generally speaking, the Bonophiles are shaking their heads at Larry and the LarryGirls are patting him on the back. I love fans! :hug:

And, sheesh boys, if you'd released the album we wouldn't be hanging on your every single word, we'd just be swinging to the music :wink:!

I think the LarryGirls are just happy to have it confirmed once again that he still has the power of speech. :)

I think they are exactly like brothers - taking jabs at each other all the time, calling each other out on their B.S., and, at the end of the day, no harm no foul let's go grab a pint.

It's everyone else that has their nightie in a knot. I doubt Bono and Larry are having a slapfight over this.

Heh - Larry'd win, no contest. He's a drummer - gotta be quick for that. :p

But seriously, for everyone who's saying Larry doesn't have the right - whyever not? he's only known Bono for what, 30 + years now? None better, in my never to be humble opinion. And I don't think his 'criticism' was really a criticism, more an honest statement of how Larry feels about it. And I'm sure he's told Bono this to his face on several occasions, so it's not likely that Bono would be surprised. I mean, seriously, people, do we /have/ to have a catfight about this? Larry shouldn't have to sugarcoat what he says for Bono's sake, nor should Bono have to sugarcoat what he says or does for Larry's sake. They're grown men, for Chrissakes.

And on that other front, just becaus you don't /see/ Larry doing anything, doesn't mean he doesn't. He's just not as front and center as Bono. And that's just fine. Not everyone needs to go, "Lookit me, I'm helping out Africa! I'm helping over here! I'm helping over there!" Sometimes, it's more admirable to /not/ be caught doing charitable works. For all we know, Larry could probably be donating and whatnot i9n Africa right along with Bono in his own way. Let's not assume Larry was meaning to be 'harsh'. He wasn't. He was simply stating his view on the things that Bono does. This isn't new; they do it all the time to Bono.

He didn't mention anything specific "in public". He said that it is taking a toll on his family. That statement is only speaking the obvious out loud. Being away from your home all the time working - for whatever reason - is going to take a toll on your family. = obvious. He is not saying that their marriage is or their kids are in trouble, just that it takes a toll. Not seeing / being with your husband / father for long periods of time takes a toll.

Besides, isn't Bono the one who announced to the world the long-hidden name and gender of Larry's youngest child? :sexywink:

Larry is saying that Bono is doing his political work at "great cost for himself and his family". There isn't anything dramatic about that statement. It's clear that it's not easy having Bono as a dad/husband when he's away so much and also getting critisized so much. I don't see anything bad in what Larry is saying towards Bono, and I don't feel they would deliberately hurt each other or attack each other publicly. I think they are all fine with whatever opinion the other band mates have and everyone is entitled to their opinion and has the right to speak freely. I guess freedom of speech is something U2 holds very dear and continually supports and promotes, so it makes sense that they have that in the band as well.

I don't think Bono is doing things the way he does because he craves the attention. It's because he gets so much media attention, and he knows it, so he uses it to get the issues he's fighting for the attention.

Larry is a legend

Its his polite way of saying Bono is a suck up who will do anything for fame and sales

Yep, because Larry wouldn't profit from these sales as well. :lol:

And because the band profits so much from Bono's political work. :lol:

That post is a good example of not thinking before writing.

Laughable. :|

Yep, because Larry wouldn't profit from these sales as well. :lol:

And because the band profits so much from Bono's political work. :lol:

That post is a good example of not thinking before writing.

Laughable. :|

I watched U2's interview with T4 from 2006 the other day and Larry is a decent, normal down to earth bloke

He doesnt care much more about the money. Whereas Bono talks jack about africa, world peace etc all the time

Larry just want to rock n roll not hear Bono sucking up to the world - Bono and the edge must get more £££ as they write the tunes. Fair enough i didnt think about Larry's earning potential before that post!

Bono is 2nd to Elton John in the sucking up stakes - no one can touch him, not even Bono

Top 3 suck ups in Music

1. Elton John
2. Bono
3. Chris Martin and Co.

I watched U2's interview with T4 from 2006 the other day and Larry is a decent, normal down to earth bloke

He doesnt care much more about the money. Whereas Bono talks jack about africa, world peace etc all the time

Larry just want to rock n roll not hear Bono sucking up to the world - Bono and the edge must get more £££ as they write the tunes. Fair enough i didnt think about Larry's earning potential before that post!

Bono is 2nd to Elton John in the sucking up stakes - no one can touch him, not even Bono

Top 3 suck ups in Music

1. Elton John
2. Bono
3. Chris Martin and Co.

No Bono and Edge do not make more money because the band equally divides their income regardless of how things are credited on the albums. That is one of the reasons that they don't fight over money. Larry and Adam contribute more in other ways of overseeing the business so that it all washes out in the end.

Dana

No Bono and Edge do not make more money because the band equally divides their income regardless of how things are credited on the albums. That is one of the reasons that they don't fight over money. Larry and Adam contribute more in other ways of overseeing the business so that it all washes out in the end.

Dana

Which is also why their friendships have remained intact over the years despite the fact that after 30-some years with the same people day in and day out, they MUST drive you potty! :huh:

Larry has it sorted - he gets the same ££ as the others!

I dont like this policy - If the edge writes the tunes he deserves more cash

I cant believe Coldplay do an even split as well - the other 3 must be laughing as they could walk down the street and no one knows who they are, whereas Chris Martin 'hates' being recognised and gives his cash away as well - what an idiot

Oh and Bono doesn`t?

This is about loyalty and democracy and I think most of us could learn a lesson or two from the maturity of the band members and how they handle business and how they deal with conflicts.

Again dude, think before you post. Let your Bono-hate out elsewhere.

Larry has it sorted - he gets the same ££ as the others!

I cant believe Coldplay do an even split as well - the other 3 must be laughing as they could walk down the street and no one knows who they are, whereas Chris Martin 'hates' being recognised and gives his cash away as well - what an idiot

You think writing the tunes is the only thing that keeps U2 going? Bono and Edge may do the majority of the initial songwriting but they don't finish the songs completely, the band as a whole does that. As Adam once described, it's a bit like musical chairs. Bono doesn't want to do the lyrics til the music is mostly there, Larry doesn't like to settle on a drum part until he knows most of the vocal is done. Then if he changes something then the bassline might change or Edge gets an idea for a new guitar part. U2 albums don't get finished they just get released because left to their own devices these guys would still be writing the first song they ever wrote constantly changing one thing after another.

Besides Larry and Adam contribute more heavily in other ways that compensate. They do more of the nuts and bolts of overseeing U2 so that Bono and Edge can spend more time on the creative but they all make the final decisions on things. This was one of the things they hashed out during the Achtung Baby development so that everyone has a sense of contributing equally and no one thinks someone is getting a free ride. They are happy with it so no need for us to know the details or get bent out of shape over it.

Dana

i was using the edge as an example

Bono and the edge should get 35% each and larry and adam 15% each

Put it this way - Larry and Adam are disposable, the other two are not

i was using the edge as an example

Bono and the edge should get 35% each and larry and adam 15% each

Put it this way - Larry and Adam are disposable, the other two are not

You see, this is exactly the problem. This fiction about Larry and Adam being disposable when both Edge and Bono have stated clearly in numerous interviews from the very beginning of the band that they are ABSOLUTELY not disposable. They ALL work on the songs. They themselves don't bother or care about who comes up with what. If it's a good idea they'll go for it. Edge has said that the killer guitar riff in UTEOTW was actually Bono's idea. Larry has come up with melody lines for Bono. Adam played sounding board for Bono on lyrics at times. These are just examples that have been documented in interviews or books about the band. How can someone who has no inside knowledge whatsoever make that claim when the band themselves and numerous people who have worked closely with them for years dispute that. If Larry and Adam were disposable they would have been dumped before the original record deal was signed as they had plenty of offers that would have involved dumping one or more of the members and they turned them all down.

Dana

Back
Top Bottom