The (RED) Thread - Discuss Products Only! (#2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
beli said:
For me to make an international phone call it'd have to be for something important. :wink:

PS Bryants at work right now if anyone local wants to phone him.

It seems this IS important to you, otherwise you wouldn't be so persistant.

Why shouldn't someone from Dell be here? It makes sense that companies are monitoring discussions about their products on the web. I've been to many other forums and it happens a lot that, if the product of a company is discussed, people from that company appear and participate in the discussion. In this case here, it might be a good thing ... if the discussion and the involvement with (Red) leads to the improvement of labour situation, which, I think, we all should support.

This Bryant thing is more of an irritant. I've exchanged a few emails with him and if youse guys believe him to be who he says he is then that's your choice.

Fair trade is important to me. There is a perception with some people that RED products are fair trade, when some of them are not. Sometimes, in my opinion, the drooling over Bono obscures the facts. I'm presuming that's why this thread is in PLEBA rather than Free Your Mind.

Anywhos, I'll bow out of this convo now. Have a blissful weekend.

last unicorn said:

It seems this IS important to you, otherwise you wouldn't be so persistant.

Why shouldn't someone from Dell be here? It makes sense that companies are monitoring discussions about their products on the web. I've been to many other forums and it happens a lot that, if the product of a company is discussed, people from that company appear and participate in the discussion. In this case here, it might be a good thing ... if the discussion and the involvement with (Red) leads to the improvement of labour situation, which, I think, we all should support.

thank you, last unicorn, for voicing your ideas about this matter in a rational and reasonable matter

i have bowed out of this discussion for a week and will continue to bow out of the discussion on Dell and its products since it appears that a representative from Dell is now in this thread to answer questions about their products for (RED).

i will speak the truth but i don't know if people will believe the truth: i do not know the people from Dell and i am posting under no alters. (i think that the mods have already alluded to the fact that all of the various posters that some of you are questioning are actually unique posters from different computers so it would be good if y'all would LISTEN TO YOUR MODS. :up:

i have had a week of personal hell as i watched some of you go on a personal tirade against me in this forum.

but with the emergence of someone official about these products to take your questions about Dell products, i'm re-entering this thread because I HAVE DONE NO WRONG.

my only concern in contacting bn at info@joinred.com was to pass along your concerns so that (RED) could find a way that was comfortable to them to answer your questions.

MY ONLY CONCERN AND REASON FOR BEING IN THIS THREAD IS TO PROMOTE INFO ABOUT (RED) AND TO ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO BUY (RED)....

NOT BECAUSE OF BONO - BUT BECAUSE WHEN PEOPLE DON'T BUY (RED) THEN PEOPLE IN AFRICA DON'T GET THE MEDICINES THAT THEY NEED TO KEEP ON LIVING . :sad:

and that is more important to me than anyone/anything else.

I'm glad to see that others here (Dell) can (unfortunately) get the same sort of negative treatment that I have been subjected to. It makes me feel that the issue is greater than people's negativity toward me and what I am doing in this movement to end extreme poverty.

Some posters are just generally negative people and I can't change that. :eek:

I am sorry though that some posters here are putting the reputation of this U2 fansite out there as a negative place especially for those ideas and concerns that are so important to one fourth of the reason why we're all here.

the mods and the owner of this site can run it the way that they want but personally I have to believe that the reputation of this fansite has been tarnished by people who were originally out to harass me but now will turn their negativity onto anyone else who they can that is involved with DELL(RED).

i would recommend some sort of action from this fansite - Elvis and crew - to rectify this situation and restate your commitment to fairness and openness to people and ideas,

especially when it comes to Bono's concerns and efforts to help Africa.

That's my final statement on DELL(RED). I'll post again on other (RED) related products. :bonodrum: :hug:

:hug: Jamila, I think you are fabulous, caring, kind hearted and a passionate activist on a number of world issues that just so happen to also be issues that Bono supports or started. Shame on any and all who have ever spoken negatively to or about you. What goes around, comes around. It is people like you that best spread the word and bring awareness of these causes so please don't stop.

Bonochick said:
As for Dell...

I was planning on ordering a new computer this spring. I want a desktop, so my only (RED) option is the XPS One. Unfortunately, I am not feeling that system, there aren't enough customization options (I do realize you probably have to be sort of limited because of the design). If I'm dropping that kind of money on a computer though, I want to get exactly what I want.

I bought an XPS210 with Windows XP fully customized with everything I wanted and then some. I am completely happy. It was so easy to set up I am still amazed. Basically plugged it in and never looked back. It's smokin fast with great sound, a gorgeous huge flat panel with webcam & microphone, 19 in 1 USB reader, enhanced keyboard & mouse, and even a 4 in 1 laser printer/copier/fax/scanner. It's compact, whisper quiet and looks great on my desk. I think I got a great deal and am a happy repeat Dell customer. :up:

beli said:
This Bryant thing is more of an irritant. I've exchanged a few emails with him and if youse guys believe him to be who he says he is then that's your choice.

Fair trade is important to me. There is a perception with some people that RED products are fair trade, when some of them are not. Sometimes, in my opinion, the drooling over Bono obscures the facts. I'm presuming that's why this thread is in PLEBA rather than Free Your Mind.

Anywhos, I'll bow out of this convo now. Have a blissful weekend.

Oh brother. Who is he saying he is? Someone who works at Dell. If you still don't believe that I think it is you that has the problem. If your problem is that this thread is in Pleba, again that is your problem. There have been RED threads in FYM, unfortunately, the topic is not very interesting for that forum, as those threads usually lost steam pretty quickly, I guess the topic is not very important over there.

It is an important thread in this forum though. The thread has been alive since the inception of RED. Where in this thread to you get that some people have a perception that all RED products are fair trade? No one has disputed the issues brought up regarding Dell, not even the guy from Dell.

You make it sound like everything you buy are fair trade products. I'm assuming the computer you post on is a fair trade product? Probably not, but I guess yours is a better non-fair trade computer because it's not Product RED?

I'm not even clear yet what is irritating you, that this thread is in Pleba and not FYM, that someone from DELL posted in it, that some RED products are not fair trade products or is your intention just to try and get this thread closed.

Oh please people, easy.

If this dicussion lead this thread to a closure, then I'd feel guilty for start the (RED) Dell discussion...:(

@ beli, if someone initially started this thread in FYM not in PLEBA, then this discussion would ended up there, not here. But if you feel like start a fair trade thread on (RED) product in FYM anytime, that would be good too.

Personal attack wouldn't lead the fair trade discussion to any further, and I really don't want to see it happen in our forum.

Jamila said:

MY ONLY CONCERN AND REASON FOR BEING IN THIS THREAD IS TO PROMOTE INFO ABOUT (RED) AND TO ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO BUY (RED)....

NOT BECAUSE OF BONO - BUT BECAUSE WHEN PEOPLE DON'T BUY (RED) THEN PEOPLE IN AFRICA DON'T GET THE MEDICINES THAT THEY NEED TO KEEP ON LIVING . :sad:

I don't mean to start another fight, but I have a real problem with the way that post comes across, and I think that is the issue some people have with Jamila's posts.

That's like saying because I bought a Macbook instead of a (RED) computer, I'm denying people in Africa their medicines.

Why don't you phrase it, "I encourage people to buy (RED) because that helps Africans get the medicines they need." Instead of saying when someone doesn't buy (RED), people may die.

(RED) is a great idea and some of their products are wonderful, but I don't think someone should be made to feel bad just because they choose not to buy a (RED) product. There are other ways of helping people in Africa besides buying (RED).

When other people mention new (RED) products, it's always in a postive manner and I like looking in this thread to see what new stuff (RED) has coming out. And sometimes I buy the products because I see them listed in this thread.

I don't like being told, buy (RED) or people are going to die!

Last edited:
this thread is going to get closed if we choose to go on about this folks, I got pulled in a little and I am sorry for that but now it's time to get back to topic and that is (RED). The fair trade discussion needs to stay in FYM and not here I think.

I totally agree with you, Kelly!
And there are other ways of supporting people in Africa than buying RED products! One can go to Africa, join an organisation or donate money directly to the people in Africa....
Don't get me wrong- I like the idea of RED and I own a couple of RED products myself (which I really love), but I guess the companies involved don't just do the RED thing because of altruism. (I think, if they lost money, they wouldn't do it! And it's good advertisement anyway!)

Jamila, I want to diplomatically state that the personal disagreements you have with other posters are completely different from the exchange that has been going on between beli and BryantatDell. I do not think it is fair to compare apples to potatoes here. You've been at this site for a number of years, so what's been going on with you and others has history. This was merely a questioning (albeit an obsessive and stubborn one) of identity.

It is quite clear that not everyone was jumping on Bryant's back. I honestly doubt he is going to have an overall negative impression of this forum like the one you speak of (which is only natural I guess, after being familiar with something for years, you get to see some things that you like and some you don't. That happens here and everywhere in life.) But what I'm getting at here is one poster ≠ all of Interference. Bryant knows that. So I don't think it is fair to color us all the same when this quite a diverse group of thinkers.

BryantatDell, I (and others) welcome you to the forum, and encourage you to continue to engage in discussion on labor issues. Identity isn't as important to me as the issue itself is. Whether you are a representative of the computer company, or a college student activist, or one of my long lost cousins, I'm just glad that someone else wants to talk about labor conditions and the rights of workers for companies involved in RED. I agree that this isn't something that can change overnight, but I think the more we talk about it and share ideas, the better.

Now...if only we could get someone from Converse to come in here :wink:

ETA: didn't see the other posts. It took me that long to write this. So I'll bring it back to topic. Looks like I'll have to turn away from the Puppy Bowl to watch this Product RED superbowl commercial: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/31/business/media/31adco.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Last edited:
unico said:
Jamila, I want to diplomatically state that the personal disagreements you have with other posters are completely different from the exchange that has been going on between beli and BryantatDell. I do not think it is fair to compare apples to potatoes here. You've been at this site for a number of years, so what's been going on with you and others has history. This was merely a questioning (albeit an obsessive and stubborn one) of identity.

It is quite clear that not everyone was jumping on Bryant's back. I honestly doubt he is going to have an overall negative impression of this forum like the one you speak of (which is only natural I guess, after being familiar with something for years, you get to see some things that you like and some you don't. That happens here and everywhere in life.) But what I'm getting at here is one poster ≠ all of Interference. Bryant knows that. So I don't think it is fair to color us all the same when this quite a diverse group of thinkers.

BryantatDell, I (and others) welcome you to the forum, and encourage you to continue to engage in discussion on labor issues. Identity isn't as important to me as the issue itself is. Whether you are a representative of the computer company, or a college student activist, or one of my long lost cousins, I'm just glad that someone else wants to talk about labor conditions and the rights of workers for companies involved in RED. I agree that this isn't something that can change overnight, but I think the more we talk about it and share ideas, the better.

ETA: didn't see the other posts. It took me that long to write this. So I'll bring it back to topic. Looks like I'll have to turn away from the Puppy Bowl to watch this Product RED superbowl commercial: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/31/business/media/31adco.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

here, here great post! :wink: And thanks for posting it..

Bona Vox said:
I totally agree with you, Kelly!
And there are other ways of supporting people in Africa than buying RED products! One can go to Africa, join an organisation or donate money directly to the people in Africa....
Don't get me wrong- I like the idea of RED and I own a couple of RED products myself (which I really love), but I guess the companies involved don't just do the RED thing because of altruism. (I think, if they lost money, they wouldn't do it! And it's good advertisement anyway!)

Exactly.

I think we shouldn't forget that (RED) is not a charity and was never meant to be one, it's about businss, these are companies involved, and Bono wanted it to be a win/win-situation for both sides, so the whole thing remains sustainable.

On the other hand, I totally agree that anyone who has concerns about this project can donate money to these causes without buying (Red) products. I would never buy a (Red) product I don't need simply because of the cause. I'd donate the money instead. If I find stuff I like and need, I'd buy it.

And since a lot of us are socially conscious people - that's part of the reason why we are here in this thread and have interest in (Red) and similar projects - it's a good thing we talk about issues like fair trade. One issue (poverty in Africa) should not take the focus away from other issues. People who CARE for these things are eventually those making a change for the better in this world.

Hey, Listen if people want to buy a dell computer because of red so be it. No one has to and no one is being forced to. We all have our opinions and we have to respect that. Its just like buying a red shirt or card no one has to, it would be nice but no one here should be bullied into it or made guilty over not buying a red product.

Some people are red addicts and some people have one shirt etc.
All of us here helped make red what it is today and that deserves :applaud:

Also I really wanted to know if the person representing Dell was real or not, its not like that hasn't happened around here before and I don't think this website has been tarnished what so ever. There are a bunch of people who are interested in the social issues as well as the music and each of us have our own ideas and opinions to share and thats what makes it great.

Now onto RED get shopping theres alot of stuff on sale in stores and on the web. I also saw new pull over sweatshirts that were a heather gray and a lite red with no wording, they were nice and soft.

I purchased (RED) Hallmark online and a week later received an email for a discount toward my next purchase. I'm a happy camper.

Last edited:
unico said:

the Puppy Bowl :cute:

Jamila said:

i have had a week of personal hell as i watched some of you go on a personal tirade against me in this forum.

Maybe I need to read back a few pages but I don't remember anyone posting anything negative about you....at least not in this instance. So questioning Bryantatdell's intentions = personal hell for you? Why? Are you and Bryant buddy buddies outside of Interference since you live in the same town? You're both from Austin, TX and you stated that Dell would be here to answer questions and then boom here's Dell posting away. Can you blame ANYONE for being suspiscious abou that? Also....I'm not even sure if you were a member around the time of Fake Edge at Interference a few years ago......can you blame Beli for questioning Bryant's legitimacy?

You have ALWAYS had and "I'm right about everything to do with Red, Africa, Bono.....you're wrong if you don't agree with me" attitude. SO MANY people have asked you to TONE it down and you have not. YOU ARE NOT all knowing about this subject nor any other subject. There's several people in this world that care equally about Red, Africa, Bono...oh and even those other 3 guys that get ignored, just as equally as you. But no one else posts in the negative tone that you post in.

I don't understand how questioning Bryant has ANYTHING to do with YOU.

Or may be we just sacrify this thread, just let people to get their long holding words out. Otherwise, when we open a new topic, this routine would repeat itself again and again and again, once some member appeared. :huh:

I'd rather not sacrifice this thread for these discussions.. but obviously no one has any control over that. And I understand that this will probably continue in other threads..:shrug:

I have just grown attached to this topic/thread that I hate to see it go.. :sad:

*sigh*

Do you have some good (RED) shirt pic to post? Or pic for some interesting products?

Let's just get our mind off some member for a while.

Okay, let me list some stuff I'd like to see (RED) have:

1) numbered RED dog/cat collar, exclusively for adopted pets through pet medical center.

2) RED ubuntu linux system. However this is least likely to happen, since bill gates and steve bob would probably went nuts about it. :wink:

3) RED bicycle, contribute a little help to the global warming

Anyone know if the first and third one are already in store? Don't have any store sell red product locally.

Heck, I'd be glad to see *any* (RED) stuff in the Hallmark stores in this neck of the woods. If I go into the stores and ask if they have any (RED) products, they look at me as if I've grown another head, then lead me to the Valentine merchandise! :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom