The (RED) Thread - Discuss Products Only! (#2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oooooooo vvverrrry nice! :hyper:

not that I can afford one.

Besides as an arist ,and digital artist I go Mac.
Well i actually have an old Bondi Blue (donated to me 3 yrs aGO), but plans to instasll some artistically geared free Linux programs fell apart 2yrs ago. :(

so the poor thng for now sits around, and i occasionally put on a CD of photos or DVD. haven't done that in about :hmm: 2 months....
must pay some attentrion.....

have fun those who buy this!

Anyone know if it will be available only in the US or also in Europe? Because I have been thinking about bying myself one of these new Dell designer notebooks, and IF the (RED) one is available here as well, I will certainly buy that one. It looks SO great!!!

Jamila said:
I do speak only the truth. I'm sorry if that upsets others.

In fact, when Bobby's taxi dropped me off, they were on their way to the Dell Computers headquarters just north of Austin where they had a 3:00 pm meeting there.

Thank you all for your continued support of (RED) in support of the Global Fund. (www.theglobalfund.org)

:bonodrum: :hi5: :hug:

The truth as always. :huh:

last unicorn said:
Anyone know if it will be available only in the US or also in Europe? Because I have been thinking about bying myself one of these new Dell designer notebooks, and IF the (RED) one is available here as well, I will certainly buy that one. It looks SO great!!!

last unicorn, let's see if that question is answe(red) by Bono and crew at the WEF about the availability of the (RED) Dell computers outside of the USA.

If not, there is always a way to find out for you. :cute:

And JCOSTER, in the Name of Love let's just accept each other and BE POSITIVE for (RED).

I think that's exactly what Bono would want from us. Our focus should be on (RED).

LOVE AND PEACE - OK? :hug:

my friend the teacher in my kids school is having a red party and she is letting the kids wear her red shirts if they don't already have one. She has 32 shirts! The are also having red treats and they won the party because they brought in the most hat and gloves for the homeless. :applaud:

Another article on the new (RED) Dell computers:

http://www.kaisernetwork.org/daily_reports/rep_index.cfm?DR_ID=49985

Global Challenges | Dell, Microsoft To Launch Product RED Computer
[Jan 24, 2008]

Dell and Microsoft this week at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, are expected to announce the launch of a Product RED computer to benefit the Global Fund To Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, Reuters reports. Dell on Friday will begin selling two Product RED laptops and one desktop computer that run Microsoft Windows Vista. The companies will provide the Global Fund with $50 for each laptop sold and $80 for each desktop. The computers were designed in part by Irish musician and Product RED co-founder Bono.

Microsoft said that it expects "several hundred thousand" of the Dell computers to be sold in 2008. After the computers go on sale on Jan. 25 in the U.S., they will be available in 30 additional countries on Jan. 31. Product RED has raised about $53 million for the Global Fund since it was launched in 2006 (Wakabayashi, Reuters, 1/23).

Bono, Gore Discuss Development Issues

In related news, Bono and former Vice President Al Gore on Thursday during a session at the World Economic Forum discussed issues surrounding development and climate change. "There are now two million Africans" with access to antiretroviral drugs and "that is pretty astonishing," Bono said, adding that commitments made by the Group of Eight industrialized nations at its 2005 summit in Gleneagles, Scotland, regarding aid to Africa have not been met. "Well, that's not so good, and it's strange because the good news makes the bad news even worse," Bono said, adding that the G8 is "not making good" on its commitments.

According to Bono, there are some encouraging signs, including German Chancellor Angela Merkel's pledge that she will advocate for a recommitment to the Gleneagles targets. In addition, Bono said that French President Nicolas Sarkozy earlier this month promised to meet the country's development pledges. The G8 has provided about half of the $50 billion in annual aid to Africa pledged at Gleneagles, Bono said. Gore during the session said that efforts aimed at curbing climate change and global warming need to be increased. "We are putting at risk all of human civilization," Gore said, adding, "With a global compact, the world can solve the climate crisis, with a global compact the world can solve the poverty crisis" (Jahn, AP/Google.com, 1/24).

-------------------------------------------------

Look forward to more news on this EXCITING development for (RED) in the days ahead!

:bonodrum: :love: :hi5:

Imagen%206.png

homepc.png

Imagen%207.png

-----------------
U2Miracle

The timing of this is perfect, as I've been planning to buy a new computer at some point this year, and my college offers a faculty discount on Dells, and Dell is offering free 2-day shipping and additional discounts that will save me about $250. This is a little more than I was planning to spend, but since it comes with Microsoft Office Home/Student '07 and a nice Adobe software package, it evens out. My one complaint is that there aren't as many options for customizing as there are with other models. That, and I'm not sure if I'm ready to make the jump to Vista yet, but I'm definitely going to consider this.

After school today my son wanted to go to a sports memorabilia store in a near by mall, there was a small dell kiosk set up and the had the red computer. It looks real nice and sleek. Very, very stylish, there were quite a few people looking at it. :applaud:

These laptops look really cool, I want one of those (though I just bought a new one last year). Read today in our national media that they will be available internationally. What a great thing!

I'm very glad that you found what you were looking for, last unicorn.:hi5:

And BonoIsMyMuse - I think that fate is directing you to one of those DELL (RED) computers....and maybe a DELL(RED) printer too?

I simply can't speak my joy at this news. :hug:

Sorry guys, I'm really like most of the (RED) products, but computer from DELL?

Big no, no. Only because most of DELL computer's parts are from sweatshops in Taiwan and south China. Workers in these factories will have to work 12 hours a day in general, all standing. They can not sit because they' were so exhausted and once they sit down, they fall asleep. And for company like DELL, who just doesn't keep any stock, imagine whenever new products release, like the (RED) computer, big orders came in, then the first line workers would have to do overtime. And for the already working 12 hours a day workers, overtime means they have to work 15-16 hours.

And talk about the pay rate. Every key of a high standard keyboard are pressed onto the base by hand, and only sold to DELL USD$1.00 each. After cut the cost of material, how much from this $1.00 a worker can get? and how much money people pay to buy a keyboard from DELL?

Last year, some students from Hong Kong University went to these factories and released a report about illegal factories. Some of the factories in south China got shut down right after the report release, sadly though, new factories opened when the issue got out of public attention.

So, no DELL computer for me, no matter it's (RED) or (GREEN) or (YELLOW).
:mad:

butter7 said:

Last year, some students from Hong Kong University went to these factories and released a report about illegal factories. Some of the factories in south China got shut down right after the report release, sadly though, new factories opened when the issue got out of public attention.

Just quote myslef, here is the link for the report: http://www.cnbeta.com/articles/44059.htm

You might need google to translate it.

Well well well. Today I get the email. DELL and Microsoft are on the RED bandwagon. And what am I sitting here looking at, unpacking? A brand new Dell Expiron PC with printer. If only I'd waited two more weeks......TWO weeks! :madwife:

Still my new PC is beautiful. I have other RED products and continue to seek out new ones. I am not going to pack up this system to send it back. Not even the printer. I guess that is being a bit selfish but this new PC was a long time in coming and I am going to enjoy it. Besides, I am not going to get sucked into Windows VISTA, and this is what is bring promoted with the Product RED.

Anyone who is so lucky please post pics!

butter7 said:
Sorry guys, I'm really like most of the (RED) products, but computer from DELL?

Big no, no. Only because most of DELL computer's parts are from sweatshops in Taiwan and south China. Workers in these factories will have to work 12 hours a day in general, all standing. They can not sit because they' were so exhausted and once they sit down, they fall asleep. And for company like DELL, who just doesn't keep any stock, imagine whenever new products release, like the (RED) computer, big orders came in, then the first line workers would have to do overtime. And for the already working 12 hours a day workers, overtime means they have to work 15-16 hours.

And talk about the pay rate. Every key of a high standard keyboard are pressed onto the base by hand, and only sold to DELL USD$1.00 each. After cut the cost of material, how much from this $1.00 a worker can get? and how much money people pay to buy a keyboard from DELL?

So, no DELL computer for me, no matter it's (RED) or (GREEN) or (YELLOW).

:ohmy:

Carek1230 said:
Well well well. Today I get the email. DELL and Microsoft are on the RED bandwagon. And what am I sitting here looking at, unpacking? A brand new Dell Expiron PC with printer. If only I'd waited two more weeks......TWO weeks! :madwife:

Still my new PC is beautiful. I have other RED products and continue to seek out new ones. I am not going to pack up this system to send it back. Not even the printer. I guess that is being a bit selfish but this new PC was a long time in coming and I am going to enjoy it. Besides, I am not going to get sucked into Windows VISTA, and this is what is bring promoted with the Product RED.

Anyone who is so lucky please post pics!

I really suggest anyone who want to make an order for a DELL computer to read my posts before submit the payment. It's quite a shame that products that mean for a good cause are made from sweatshops. It would be more shameful if people who really want to help this good cause have no idea what have the company done. :(

Here is a link for the quick summary of the report: http://www.globalvoicesonline.org/2007/12/03/china-report-from-hong-kong-on-sweatshop/

This issue has been rised quite a few years ago, and DELL is not the only famous computer brand that doing this. IBM, HP, SONY...the list goes on. But as a brand that offers really competitive price and labeled zero stock, the DELL certainly is the biggest target in this issue.

And if you google search "DELL sweatshop" there are several discussions around this topic, and quite a lot of them dressing this problem to the local/central goverment. However, if it's not in China, Thailand, Maxico, where it might be? Next stop, Africa? The golden rule for economic is if there's a demand, there would be a supply come after it (illegal drug dealing is the perfect proof for this). As a consumer, I like cheap and high quality products too. As for computer, Dell fits my requirement really well. But there's a limitation on the low price, if it's not the company (if we hold their stock, we don't want their profit go down either), some one eventually has to pay for our enjoyable discount. So if the customer keeps ignoring this problem, no real improvement could happen.

Last edited:
butter7, I truly appreciate your concern for the welfare of working people around the world but you yourself said in your post that this issue happened several years ago.

I don't dispute that there may be issues of working conditions, wages and other benefits that may need some improvement in the manufacture of these products but YOU'RE PAINTING YOUR PICTURE WITH A VERY BROAD BRUSH and I just won't condemn (RED) on the basis of one report.

So, after this post, I will be forwarding these concerns on to (RED) once again and allow them to speak for themselves.

I refuse to let innuendoes and half truths stop people from buying these (RED) computers and keeping much needed medicines out of the mouths of dying people in Africa.

And that's what can happen when people do not BUY (RED).:sad:

I hope that (RED) will respond within a day or so to your concerns in this thread.

Thank you for your support of (RED) in support of the Global Fund. (www.theglobalfund.org)
:bonodrum: :love: :hug:

Jamila, I perfectly understand the urgency of AIDS issue, overall, which U2 fan does't? I think my brush isn't wide enough so I only dressed Dell's problem, not other suppliers for the product (RED), didn't I?

As a product from a global supply chain, the (RED) Dell is all the same as the other dell, except a specific graphically designed Vista system in it. If you did run a google research, then you'll know that it's not a one day issue, and it's not only mentioned by one report only. But indeed the HK students' report got the first hand interview and specifically dressed to DELL suppliers in south east Asia.

Just as I stated before, it's the consumer's decision who made the demand. It's normal that some people would choose to let a 16 year old working 15 hours a day, so there could be more money going to fight AIDS in Africa. But to me, it's not necessary for us to "help" companies like DELL to abuse some people's welfare in order to get some extra money for a charity cause. Imagine if an African mother who relied on thess drugs heard where the money for her drugs come from, would she happily accept the drugs?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom