The Edge!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Btw, how heavy is a real Explorer?
I have a replica and the damn thing ripped the guitar hook off the wall.

I'll let EdgeO answer that with much more technical expertise wt, but just as a casual observer and sometimes handler :shifty: of the guitars, the Explorer is not all that heavy. Definitely not as heavy as the Les Paul monster which I can barely lift (ok well not really but that damn thing is freakin heavy, which has always been my personal suspicion of one of the reasons Bono stopped playing his in concert). Between the 4 guitars in my house, the Tele is the lightest, with the LP Junior next, then the Explorer which is very similar in weight to the Junior, and the LP the absolute heaviest and much heavier than the other 3.
However because of the shape of the Explorer its case is damn heavy, and we're back to the "I can barely move the damn thing around" business again. :lol: that case weighs a ton!

I see :hmm:
Well this one is heavier than my Les Paul :ohmy:

I handed it to a friend once and even he was like ''holy shit!" :crazy:

:ohmy: that sounds heavy!

I was actually quite surprised at how light the Explorer actually is. I don't know about the older ones tho... EdgeO will need to answer that. My husbands is a new one.

I'll let EdgeO answer that with much more technical expertise wt, but just as a casual observer and sometimes handler :shifty: of the guitars, the Explorer is not all that heavy. Definitely not as heavy as the Les Paul monster which I can barely lift (ok well not really but that damn thing is freakin heavy, which has always been my personal suspicion of one of the reasons Bono stopped playing his in concert). Between the 4 guitars in my house, the Tele is the lightest, with the LP Junior next, then the Explorer which is very similar in weight to the Junior, and the LP the absolute heaviest and much heavier than the other 3.
However because of the shape of the Explorer its case is damn heavy, and we're back to the "I can barely move the damn thing around" business again. :lol: that case weighs a ton!

How heavy? They are heavy but a Les Paul or some 1970's Stratocaster is heavier. The balance of the Explorer is nice too. The way the guitar balances and sits when on a strap also lends to playing around the 10th to 14th fret. Probably a good reason for the birth of things like "I Will Follow" and "Gloria" based around these frets.

:ohmy: that sounds heavy!

I was actually quite surprised at how light the Explorer actually is. I don't know about the older ones tho... EdgeO will need to answer that. My husbands is a new one.

My Epiphone "Music Rising" and Epiphone "Slash" Les Paul's are heaviest of my guitars. Explorer might be next. Clapton Stratocaster after that... Telecaster Custom (similar to the one Edge had in the "Vertigo" video) would be close... My Danelectro 6 and 12 strings being the lightest of the 'family'.

Holy shit Edge O! :ohmy::faint: I'd never see any reason to leave my house with a 76 explorer just lying around. Once I have the money thats the one im going for. I had a chance to play one at Rudy's, Rudy's is the guitar shop Edge went to in an interview a couple years back. Anyway it was the best guitar I've ever played, the amazing action and tone would make anybody want this guitar. You are so lucky......meanwhile im stuck with a cheap strat knock-off and might possibly get my cousin's rickenbacker knock-off.

My 1976 Gibson Explorer came from Rudy's. =O)

How heavy? They are heavy but a Les Paul or some 1970's Stratocaster is heavier. The balance of the Explorer is nice too. The way the guitar balances and sits when on a strap also lends to playing around the 10th to 14th fret. Probably a good reason for the birth of things like "I Will Follow" and "Gloria" based around these frets.

The balance is nice as EdgeO says. I don't even play but just handling the guitar and playing around with it I like the way it feels. The balance was about the first thing I noticed liking about it, besides the fact that it was lighter than it looks.

The balance is nice as EdgeO says. I don't even play but just handling the guitar and playing around with it I like the way it feels. The balance was about the first thing I noticed liking about it, besides the fact that it was lighter than it looks.

And it has 'that' sound. Soon as I plugged it in... it has that "Out of Control" / "I Will Follow" tone.

Back
Top Bottom