The 27 Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another update: The film has been announced as a selection at several more film festivals. Here's the list of dates and locations:

Calgary International Film Festival
Thu, Sep 25, 9:15 pm, Plaza Theatre
Fri, Sep 26, 4:30 pm, Plaza Theatre

American Film Festival, Moscow
Oct 7–12, 2008, screening times TBA

Pusan International Film Festival
Fri, Oct 3, 10:00 am, Lotte Cinema
Thu, Oct 9, 8:30 pm, Lotts Cinema

BendFilm Festival
Oct 9–12, screening times TBA

Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival
Oct 13–Nov 12, screening times TBA

Savannah Film Festival
Oct 25–Nov 1, screening times TBA

I wrote the website and just got a reply. I thought I would share it with you all. With I could make it to Ojai but that's too far of a drive for me right now, maybe some of you other So Cal folks can make it. Lila? I will def get the film on dvd. Anyway here's their response:

Its playing in Ojai Film festival in Ca - if you want to try there..
will be on dvd soon , website will let you know
thanks for your interest - e

So it's straight to DVD? That's suprising (given all of the festival choices) and sad. I wonder why it didn't get distribution.

Just got it from google alerts...
NewYork27Club116.jpg

From William Yelton's website
Official Website for William Yelton)

Every time I see someone post in here I get all excited thinking someone has news about the movie being released onto DVD! :hyper:
More news, sorry, not about the dvd yet:rolleyes:I'ts an interview with the guy who plays Three Words in the movie

Speaking Triplicate:

David Emrich talks L.A., Waffle House and The 27 Club

By: Anghus Houvouras - November 10th, 2008

A staple of past Cucalorus events is the presence of filmmaker Erica Dunton. This year, she is screening her latest feature, The 27 Club—a story of addiction and redemption with an unlikely cast of characters who take off on a road trip to attend the funeral of a friend. David Emrich plays the lovable “Three Words,” an earnest young man who only speaks in triplicate. I had a chance to sit down with David, a longtime Wilmingtonian and recent transplant to the left coast, about the film. Here is how our conversation unfolded.

encore: Talk about your role in The 27 Club.
David Emrich: My role was the character “Three Words,” named so because every sentence I say is in three words—not because I’m Indian or only have three words the entire movie. The character was supposed to be showing the good, innocent side of life to counteract with Joe Anderson’s drugged-out rock ‘n’ roller, who obviously would start off showing the bad side to things—regardless of fame and bank accounts and cars etc. Three is just a good-hearted good-intentioned boy of few words.

e: How do you prepare for a role that only allows you to speak three words at a time?
DE: Saying three words at a time wasn’t necessarily the hard part; being or looking to be a very genuinely good-hearted person of few words is what took some work. However, I found a kid who worked at Mayfaire cinemas as a ticket tearer (if that’s what it’s even called), and this kid was happy to be working there and really seemed to love his job so much that it almost put me off the first time—[it felt] like he was messing with me. In turn, I found that the kid actually loved his job, and I went to see several movies and tried to chat it up with him before each one and basically steal—I mean research—his characteristics to play off as my own.

e: Since completing The 27 Club, you moved from Wilmington to Los Angeles. What’s the independent scene like there?
DE: The independent scene in L.A. is everywhere all the time! I have a lot of friends out here that want to be in movies so bad they shoot almost anything for any reason. Bartenders, cocktail waitresses, food runners, bus boys ... it seems like not only does everyone have a script, but they also all want you to work for them the next day on a short or skit or commercial or anything. Some are really fun and others just seem like they decided that morning to direct a commercial.

But it’s the spirit of wanting to make movies that keeps you sane—not people’s ability to prep. But then again going from “One Tree Hill” as a stand-in to a lead in Erica’s movie might have me pretty spoiled.

e: Looking back, what is your fondest memory of the Port City?
DE: Fucking Waffle House! Kind of serious about that, but I’d say more people and friends in Wilmington. Everyone in L.A. needs something from you—especially being a bartender; they need you to get them into clubs ir club?” People in Wilmington were just more chill—same intentions, as far as aspiring to make films, just fueled by less “speedy additives.” People in L.A. are crazy, I guess.

I also really really miss Rim Wang but I heard it closed down, which really saddens me. I could also go for some of that mac ‘n’ cheese from Deluxe. And I never knew what traffic was until I moved to L.A. Enjoy Market Street, people—it’s really not a busy street at all!

e: Is there one movie or actor that influenced you to get into acting?
DE: I think the first movie I actually remember seeing in theaters that blew me away was Tim Burton’s Batman. I think that was also the first movie I saw in theaters three times. I also think seeing The Shining, my second Jack Nicholson film, at the age of 7, was a bad idea because it scared the piss out of me. I really loved it when I realized these people were not these characters but pretending to be for a time—then going on to pretend to be something else. The whole situation fascinated me.

e: What kind of role are you looking to play next?
DE: Since my first two movies were both basically the same character—both speaking in three-worded sentences in Erica’s Find Love and also The 27 Club—I need some action shots or at least if someone could make me look cool that would be great. James Forgey and Joe Anderson got to play rock stars in our film; I was a grocery store clerk. It doesn’t necessarily scream out “cool.” I really would love to play any part where I get a gun—that seems like it would be fun. Or a genius—it is acting after all.

e: Any funny anecdotes from the set of The 27 Club?
DE: Two things stand out: One, Eve Hewson and I had a scene where we were supposed to be eating pizza. It’s not in the movie, for some reason, because if you’ve ever seen pizza after sitting around for five hours, it sort of congeals and looks almost like a clear, gross coating on the pizza—it doesn’t necessarily taste well either. We laughed really hard trying to eat that pizza until Erica finally said lose the pizza so I can get my shot.

And, two: There was a billboard directly in front of me in a parked car scene with Eve and Joe. Half way through the scene, I catch a glimpse of this giant shower head pouring water out, and the billboard says “Holiday Inn—voted Wilmington’s number one shower heads.” I absolutely lost it—no composure at all. That advertisement says nothing about the rooms, service, beds, location, just that you’re going to get a bomb ass shower. If you’ve ever been on a set for 16 hours, you might understand why that was so damn funny to me.

e: How was it working with Erica Dunton?
DE: Ha ha—working with Erica was like going to work with your sister, and it just so happens she’s the boss. In this situation I had an important job, and hers was way more important and way more stressful. I had to learn that when you’re off set, and you get someone’s full attention almost constantly, then get on set and she’s in charge of 80 people, sometimes it’s better to just work and maybe save that joke you just thought of until, say, eight weeks from when you’re finished.

Seriously, though, it was probably the best way for me to learn. Working on “One Tree Hill” taught me how to be patient on a set between set-ups and turn-arounds—all the stuff that goes into making a 16-hour day. Erica gave me the chance to act, which was great. She would direct me in a scene—then say, “OK, do whatever you want in this one.” That really just worked.

The car drive back from California to do cross-country shots was a fun trip. I was basically sleeping in the back of a van hugged up to a 35mm camera like it was a stuffed animal, then, all of a sudden, the car would stop, and Erica would say, “Get up and become ‘Three Words.’” I was like a seriously grumpy bear, but that was a really awesome experience—especially when we found some goats. Erica was like, “Go feed that goat.”

I’m really glad she chose to let me start my career with her.

Don’t miss The 27 Club on Friday, November 14th at 9:45pm at Thalian Hall’s Mainstage. Run time is 89 minutes.
Encore Online - Speaking Triplicate:

Thanks for the article. I also think that something new about the dvd is being posted.

Dang... that looks pretty sweet. I'm gonna try to get that on dvd. Eve is soooo pretty. Geez. I'm jealous of her excellent genes. :angry: Boooo.

The greatest part of this is that it's only the beginning for her. I wouldn't be surprised if I saw her on some intense films in the future. :up:

Back
Top Bottom