PLEBAn Misc U2 News and Articles #1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^But quiet you are more cute!

_00228_09.jpg

Feb 27. 2009

Rumours have been flying over the last couple of weeks about an imminent tour announcement. Some have pinpointed the first week of March for the announcement. Well, here's some actual news. Hot Press are reporting that the tour announcement will be on the 9th of March. There will be approximately 25 shows in Europe and another 25 in North America before Christmas, with the first European ticket sales expected to commence on the 14th or 15th of March.

The tour will be in stadiums. The band are pursuing a 360-degree "in the round" set-up that necessitates a stadium setting according to promoter Arthur Fogel. Indoor arenas and flat-field festival venues will thus not be venues on this tour. Ticket prices will be extremely scaled, and Fogel emphasises that price tiers have been given special consideration in light of the current economic climate. Although stopping short of confirmation, Hot Press indicate that U2's Dublin concerts should take place at Croke Park on 24, 25, and 27 July.

U2's Bono blasts Chris Martin from Coldplay

March 1 2009

_00650.jpg

IT has been a friendly rivalry between the world's two biggest bands - until now. Yesterday, as Bono promoted U2's new album No Line on the Horizon on British radio, he lashed out at Coldplay lead singer Chris Martin, calling him "a w--ker".

The Irish rocker then attempted to backtrack, only to further insult Martin, saying he was a "dysfunctional character and a cretin".

Bono's comments come as Martin and his Coldplay bandmates began the Australian leg of their Viva La Vida world tour in Perth this weekend.

Tensions between the two mega bands has escalated in recent years with Coldplay often referred to as "the new U2".

Martin also often speaks of his admiration for U2 and his desire to replicate their success.

Listen to U2's long-awaited new album.

Speaking to The Sunday Telegraph in the lead-up to Coldplay's Australian tour, Martin said
"We are the world's best substitute; that is what we are," said Martin, who will perform four shows at Sydney's Acer Arena from March 11.

However, Bono's radio interview on the BBC revealed the feeling obviously isn't mutual.

The singer's interview began immediately after a Coldplay song had been played and interviewer Jo Whiley asked Bono if Martin was as talented as Paul McCartney.

"I think he's that good a melodist, but he's a w--ker," Bono replied.

When Whiley asked him if would like to apologise, Bono said: "He's obviously a completely dysfunctional character and a cretin, but he happens tobe a great melodist and up there with Ray Davis, Noel Gallagher and Paul McCartney."

But the superstar rocker, 48, also admitted to feeling threatened by younger groups, including Coldplay.

He said: "In our heads we're up against Coldplay and The Killers ... you've got to keep an eye on the youth."

Only a week ago, Bono and Martin teamed up to perform at a London charity concert, sharing the stage with The Killers' lead singer Brandon Flowers and Take That's Gary Barlow.

It took U2 five years to record No Line On The Horizon, which was released nationally yesterday, and critics believe it's an attempt to win back their "biggest band in the world" mantle.

A spokesman for Martin said he had no comment about Bono's outburst.

U2 Can Own A Restaurant: Bono’s Zoo-Ropa

U2’s Bono, following in the tradition of legendary Manhattan restaurateur Britney Spears, has decided to parlay his career as a rock star into a career as a restaurant owner. (It worked so well for Britney.) We hear Bono recently bought Le Zoo in the West Village and plans to reopen it early next year with chef April Bloomfield, formerly of London’s River Cafe, a posh Italian restaurant. Last weekend, Bono was set to co-host a benefit there for Peace Games (which claims to “build the capacity for young people to make peace”), with Q-Tip deejaying and Mario Batali auctioning wine. (We think it would have been more fun for Batali to deejay and Q-Tip to auction wine, but no one asked us.)

Bono And The Edge Tempt Fate With Armed Robber

The Mirror reports U2 frontman Bono has told how they were confronted by armed robbers in Germany and didn’t even know it. “We’d been to see Goodfellas and had a load of drivers with us because we’re posh fu**-off rock stars,” Bono explained. “One driver was so traumatised by the film he forgot to get the car so we went back to get it. Then a guy walks up with a gun. I turned round and just said, fu** off. He kind of looked at me, but me and Edge just kept on walking and talking. We looked back and he just went, ‘pow,’ and shot the gun down an alley.” Bono added that an hour later “Edge looked at me and said, ‘were we nearly mugged there?’ That’s when you start shaking! We got a bit freaked.”

U2’s Bono Previews Innovative “No Line on the Horizon” Tour

2/27/09

After selling out countless arenas this decade, U2 are heading outdoors this year with their first U.S. stadium tour since 1997’s PopMart Tour. The band members, who release No Line on the Horizon on March 3rd, haven’t yet announced dates for the tour or details about what they’ll play. But they hope to keep ticket prices unusually low, and they’re already planning an innovative setup that will allow for 360-degree seating around the stage, which will be moved closer to the center of the field than in any other stadium show. “It’s an engineering feat that creates this real physical proximity to the crowd,” Bono tells Rolling Stone, adding that the band wants to maximize space in the enormous venues to accommodate the many young fans it has made this decade with hits such as “Vertigo.” “We’re going outdoors to try to meet that audience.

“We want to play for each other as much as we want to play for the crowd this time,” Bono adds. “You just don’t know how long you will be going to be doing this. I just sat everyone down the other day, because some concerns about the tour had come up, and nobody wants to be away from their families. I just said, ‘This is an unbelievable and rare opportunity to be in this band and to play at this level. You don’t know what is around the corner, you don’t know if you will be up for it or the audience will be up for it. Right now, we are perfectly riding across those two thoughts and every single night should be the best night of your life. If not, then we are just the worst of those Seventies dinosaur bands that felt it was enough to just turn up and play and that people were lucky to be in their presence.’ ”

U2's spiritual journey continues

Feburary 27 2009

From the opening note of "I Will Follow," the first song on its first album, U2 has been a band unafraid to wear its heart on its sleeve — or even your sleeve. This was all about inclusion through rock 'n' roll, about believing in a higher power and greater good, and Bono's heart was the biggest and bloodiest on the block.

Depending on your level of cynicism, this was either endearing or infuriating, but you could always trust that the band stood for something. But as U2 grew restless and bored throughout the 1990s, the music lost its meaning in favor of tired messages delivered ironically, satirically and, invariably, with all the subtlety of a brick through a windshield ("The Fly"?).

The church never closed, but a lot fewer people were coming to the weekday services.

U2 woke up in 2000, saved from itself by "Beautiful Day," the first song on its 10th album, "All That You Can't Leave Behind." This was the U2 we loved — anthemic, unapologetically sincere, emotional — and it began the band's strong 21st-century trilogy of records that continued with "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" and now "No Line on the Horizon."

U2's final album of the decade is one of its more personal, marked by a desire to reconnect with earthbound needs and desires as filtered through God (yours or anyone else's). Fear is the enemy here, a barrier that prevents human touch, and love is the cure. This is nothing new in Bono's world, but on "Horizon" the ideas of love, fear and God can be interpreted on a human level or as part of a world stage, literally or as metaphor.

It's a richer and more subtle version of U2, but Bono, of course, is rarely too subtle. He's dealing with some big questions and doesn't hesitate to lay on the boldface, but what makes it work is the sense that he's wholly invested as a man, not an idealist; it's the same kind of energy that made "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own," a song for his father from "Atomic Bomb," so powerful.

(2 of 2)

On the gorgeous "Moment of Surrender," Bono seems to address a life lived too large, as if trying to save the world has impacted his own salvation. "I've been in every black hole, at the altar of a dark star," he sings. "My body's now a begging bowl that's begging to get back, begging to get back to my heart." Or, as he more pointedly summarizes in "Stand Up Comedy," "Stop helping God across the road like a little old lady."

While Bono's passion is immediately focused, "No Line on the Horizon" at first feels a bit vague musically. But it's just sneaky. Everything we've come to associate with U2 is here, only in smaller doses — Edge's chiming guitar lines that open "Magnificent"; the unfiltered yowl of Bono's vocal's on "Moment of Surrender"; the way "Breathe" lifts off with a roar; the American roots music that drives "White as Snow"; and the way "Get on Your Boots" pays tribute to Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues."

The collective fingerprint of producers Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois and Steve Lillywhite — a reunion of the band's most significant past collaborators — is also small, but potent. You wonder if Eno's open-ended approach to recording helped birth "Fez — Being Born," which is more tone poem than song. And did Lanois inspire the spectral vocal arrangements that hide around corners throughout? It's impossible to say, which is what production should be: a vehicle for the music.

The horizon line is how the human eye distinguishes earth from sky but it's only a visual cue and otherwise meaningless. It's all in how you perceive it, and for U2 there is no line. Earth, sky, man, God — we're all in this together, and at the end of the day some kind of faith is needed to sort it out.

"It's not if I believe in love," Bono sings, "but if love believes in me. Oh, believe in me."

Bono And The Edge Enjoy Their Meal At The Punchbowl

_03-1.jpg

U2 singer Bono and guitarist The Edge were photographed leaving The Punchbowl in London’s Mayfair district around midnight on Wednesday night (February 25). The pair raved about how good the food was and The Edge gave the restaurant a thumbs up

Not wanting to be a contrarian, but I actually prefer to see separate threads for articles, at least noteworthy ones. I find it frustrating and time-consuming scrolling through pages looking for a particular article. I hope people continue to post separate articles when the item is actually news. (Just my two cents.)

I totally agree with you.:applaud:
Espécially in the subjects that are not particularly about U2's music.
Keeping all these articles from differente subjects all together will just make it harder for me to figure out what's new.

Bono And The Edge Enjoy Their Meal At The Punchbowl

_03-1.jpg

U2 singer Bono and guitarist The Edge were photographed leaving The Punchbowl in London’s Mayfair district around midnight on Wednesday night (February 25). The pair raved about how good the food was and The Edge gave the restaurant a thumbs up

Ah ah :up: Just like a happy couple !

Bono And The Edge Tempt Fate With Armed Robber

The Mirror reports U2 frontman Bono has told how they were confronted by armed robbers in Germany and didn’t even know it. “We’d been to see Goodfellas and had a load of drivers with us because we’re posh fu**-off rock stars,” Bono explained. “One driver was so traumatised by the film he forgot to get the car so we went back to get it. Then a guy walks up with a gun. I turned round and just said, fu** off. He kind of looked at me, but me and Edge just kept on walking and talking. We looked back and he just went, ‘pow,’ and shot the gun down an alley.” Bono added that an hour later “Edge looked at me and said, ‘were we nearly mugged there?’ That’s when you start shaking! We got a bit freaked.”

Woah! :ohmy:

Glad to hear they're ok!

I totally agree with you.:applaud:
Espécially in the subjects that are not particularly about U2's music.
Keeping all these articles from differente subjects all together will just make it harder for me to figure out what's new.

that's cool, but if you notice every article in this thread is about U2 and the music! and as far as seeing what is new it is very simple! just look at the dates of the article and or when they were posted. This is not complicated guys!. Just my opinion but I think we waste too many threads for one article that has most likley already been posted. But to each their own :wave:

TOUR ANNOUNCEMENT COMING SOON

28 February 2009

On March 9th, the band will announce details of where and when they'll be hitting the road this year - but dates and venues are yet to be finalised and fans are advised to steer clear of groups claiming to have tickets available now.

Details of countries, cities, venues and dates will be revealed on U2.Com in nine days time and no-one has any tickets yet.

'The tour will be officially announced on March 9th and the schedule is subject to change of date and location till then,' said Paul McGuinness, manager of the band. 'It would be crazy to buy tickets before the announcement on U2.com.'

Arthur Fogel, CEO Global Touring and Chairman Global Music at Live Nation, underlined the advice to fans to steer clear of channels claiming to be selling tickets for the tour.

'The tour has not been announced and no tickets should be purchased at this time. ' he said. 'Fans should beware of unofficial and unscrupulous sellers.'

Bottom line ? Don't take a risk on any tickets until you've seen the real dates announced here, on March 9th.

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Immodesty fuels a great, alienated album from the universe’s biggest rock band.
Reviewed by Rob Sheffield
“My ego’s not really the enemy,” Bono confides on the new U2 album. “It’s like a small child crossing an eight-lane highway/On a voyage of discovery.” Eight lanes? Keep counting, boyo. All over this record, he paves whole new interstates of ego, with exit ramps darting in and out of every verse, and that’s exactly how it should be. The days are gone when U2 were trying to keep it simple—at this point, the lads have realized that over-the-top romantic grandiosity is the style that suits them, so they come on like the cosmic guitar supplicants they were born to be. No Line on the Horizon is U2’s third killer in a row—by now, it’s bizarre to remember that just 10 years ago, everybody thought they were headed toward the dinosaur band tar pits. But ever since they went from midlife crisis to midlife rejuvenation, with All That You Can’t Leave Behind, they’ve been on a roll. Here, they go for the abstract, Euro vibe of Achtung Baby or The Unforgettable Fire, piling on the cathedral-size keyboards. Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois are back on hand, giving the production a dub-like reverb without quashing the momentum. One song (“Fez—Being Born”) rolls along on the melodic pointillism of minimalist composer Steve Reich; while another (“I’ll Go Crazy if I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight”) bites the piano hook from Journey’s “Faithfully,” and that gives a rough picture of how far U2 range on Horizon. “Moment of Surrender” is the high point—seven minutes of Bono in gospel mode, lost in the late-night city (“I was speeding on the subway/Through the stations of the cross”), questing for salvation and finding it in Adam Clayton’s bass. The Edge fleshes out the yearning with some piercing crazy-diamond guitar. It’s the kind of gimme-divinity anthem that U2 cut their teeth on, except it really does seem like they’ve gotten better at these songs now that they’ve picked up some bummed-out adult grit. Bono actually sounds scared of something in this song, and whether his nightmares are religious or sexual, the fear gives his voice some heft. Compared to “Moment of Surrender,” “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” just sounds like a callow kid trying to snag a date at Bible camp. “Unknown Caller” is another vivid picture of spiritual jet lag—usually when rock stars use their cell phones as metaphors, it seems like they got bored at the airport, but this one truly puts on the chill. Bono reaches Bowie-in-Berlin levels of arty alienation (“I had driven to the scene of the accident/And I sat there waiting for me”), while the guitars crackle in the album’s finest Edgemanship. “Get On Your Boots” is a manic low-end rocker a la “Vertigo,” with phased ’70s-style synths, buzzing guitar and a breathless vocal from Bono that brings back fond memories of the days when the Edge tried to rap. (All the talk about “sexy boots,” community, joy, war, Satan and bomb scares—well, it’s typical of the jumble of eroticism, politics and spirituality that defines this album, and, probably, Bono’s BlackBerry. ) The songs get slower and less compelling toward the end; that’s how U2 always pace things. Yet they achieve liftoff in the rockers, especially “No Line on the Horizon” (yet another lonely party girl who wants more than a party) and “Magnificent” (yet another hymn to the powers of love). You can hear Eno’s touch all over: “Moment of Surrender” opens with an organ solo straight from “The Big Ship,” on his 1975 classic Another Green World. But it’s Bono who dominates. He hasn’t crammed in this many words per song in over 10 years—to be specific, since the least-loved item in the U2 catalogue, Pop, the grim, slow, morbid flop they tried and failed to sell as their ironic techno statement. The difference now is that they’re no longer apologizing for their messy emotions or their lofty ambitions. Ego really isn’t their enemy—it’s their instrument, and on No Line on the Horizon they just plug it in and play.

---> Article form Blender

can you site the sources of your articles when you post them? I thought it was something required of us when posting any news article whether it relates to the band or not. It's done for everything news thread in FYM. I think it needs to be done here. Thanks.

The Edge really, really wants Brad Pitt to play him in movie

U2 want Brad Pitt to star in a movie about their lives.

The band's guitarist The Edge thinks the Hollywood hunk would be the perfect person to portray him if a film about the Irish group was ever made.

Edge, 47, said: "We'd want it to be realistic, we don't want the usual things, so Brad Pitt would play me.

"We want to be realistic, you know, you don't want to do the Hollywood thing."

Bono thinks only an Oscar winner could do him justice on the big screen.

He joked to British radio presenter Christian O'Connell: "Yes, I would say.

'Who's another tall, skinny Irishman? Daniel Day Lewis would play me."

The band - who released their twelfth album No Line on the Horizon last week - also admitted they have come close to splitting on several occasions since they formed in the 70s.

Bono, 48, believes the band - which also includes drummer Larry Mullen Jr. and Adam Clayton - hit a bad patch "every few years".

Edge confessed: "I do this thing probably about once every 10 years where I go OK, that's it, I've had enough."

The Edge really, really wants Brad Pitt to play him in movie - Film - smh.com.au

Check out the comparison pic! :lol:

Bono Has An Identity Crisis

_00kiss.jpg

There seem to be two discrete ways of approaching the new U2 album. One, exemplified by a review on the Jim DeRogatis/Greg Kot radio show Sound Opinions, is to look at the fact that they've employed Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois for some tracks and write off the big stadium rockers to paint the album as an embrace of texture and mood, and a general triumph. The other view, however, is more dubious. Being a rock star is great, but it can't help but seem less important when you've been doing what Bono's been doing, and the five-year gap between albums would seem to indicate Bono's changing priorities. Certainly he doesn't seem very connected to his bandmates anymore. It's like Bono woke up one day and realized he was turning into Bob Geldof: someone whose social activism overshadows their music, and consequently seems like a fraud. And so, it was time to update his brand with a new album. Unfair? Maybe. But let's look at the evidence.

If that was indeed the idea, it might not have worked, at least judging by the reviews that take the occasion to complain about Bono's activist work. In some ways, this is understandable and even justifiable. Bono is nothing if not a character, and he doesn't play a different character when he's singing and when he's meeting with heads of state. The sunglasses, the hair, and the outfits are all unchanged. That's part of the appeal: he's not representing himself as a private citizen, but as someone who speaks for all his fans, channeling the public opinion he seems to be able to tap into to make a case for certain causes. If he took off the Bono costume, he would just be another activist. That he doesn't means it's reasonable to connect the music and the politics.

But in a New York Times article published this weekend, he makes a good case for why they shouldn't be connected:

"Get On Your Boots," Bono said, is an almost journalistic collection of images of taking his family to a fun fair in southern France on the eve of the war in Iraq, with warplanes zooming overhead. One verse proclaims, "I don't want to talk about wars between nations/Not right now."

That line, along with hints in "White as Snow" and "Cedars of Lebanon," provides what Bono described as "peripheral vision": a recognition of the turbulent world beyond the private thoughts in the lyrics. "That's the elephant in the room, the absence of this thing, that almost draws attention to it," he said. "It never takes away from the personal or the psychodramas that are going on, but it's there."

Look, as much as he deserves a cock-punching, Bono is clearly a smart guy. His desire to make good, important music comes through loud and clear in the article. Any great politician must, by necessity, have a gigantic ego and a concurrent need to have it fed, and as a political actor Bono is no exception to this. Being a gigantic rock star seems awfully fun, and can be much more rewarding than trying to save Africa. Quoth the Edge: "I think that's what he looks forward to. There is no end to the other thing. That struggle is ongoing. With U2 it's like, there's things you can say, well, we did that. We delivered a record. We delivered a show."

The problem seems to be that, ultimately, Bono thinks politics is more important. Here's his own explanation for the band, which seems awfully close to that Geldof anxiety: "Edge is always whispering in my ear: ‘You're an artist. That's how you're getting away with this. If you start to behave in a correct fashion and very serious and doing a serious job, it's awful.' " Which is true, yes. It's a good reason to make music. But it doesn't seem like a particularly good reason to listen to it.

U2's Bono Explains Why He Flirts With Teenagers In Bikinis?
Posted by Sassy Smith

Remember when U2 frontman Bono and a friend (who by the way, are both pushing 50, oh and Bono is married with four kids) were seen last September in St Tropez, canoodling with two 19-year-old bikini-clad girls? If your memory is failing you, or you never heard the story, you can read it here. I'll wait. So, now Bono explains why he likes doing such things. Or at least that's what I'm guessing he's trying to tell us.

Bono, who is married to Alison Hewson, and has four kids with her, including two daughters - Jordan 19, and Memphis Eve, 17 - is afraid his kids, particularly his girls, find him boring. Hey, that's what happens when you have kids - you might think you're still cool, but trust me, your teenagers, do not. Deal.

During a recent dinner party, in which Jay-Z and Beyonce were present, Bono overheard his teen girls talking about him, and he overheard daughter Jordan giving her opinion of him.

Bono said, "I went in to get some wine out of the fridge and I heard her talking to her friends, because she loves Jay-Z and Beyonce.

"I heard her saying, 'He's probably boring their a***s off talking about Africa.' And, actually, I think I was at the time."

He adds it's not the first time he annoyed his brood. "There was a funny moment on the last tour when there were formal objections by our kids to some of the music that was being played at the aftershow party."

I see. I get it. Not. You're clinging to that last piece of your youth, and your kids think you're boring, so why not flirt (and who knows what else allegedly went on) with girls in bikinis, who are young enough to be your daughters (and remember, you're married?) and then perhaps your kids will think you're still cool and not so boring after all. I see where he's going with the whole 'I'm fawning over girls who are scantily-clad even though I'm married, and it would probably mortify my kids but heck, I do not want anyone, including my children to think I'm boring', so I'll act inappropriate with teenage girls.

Actually, I still think it's creepy. I'd be interested to know if his wife and children have seen the pics?

U2's Bono Explains Why He Flirts With Teenagers In Bikinis? - FameCrawler

ABC News: U2 Makes First Live Morning Show Appearance

U2 Makes First Live Morning Show Appearance

International mega band U2 makes history March 6 when it performs on ABC's "Good Morning America," making its first-ever live performance on a morning show.

The location of the unprecedented morning TV event has yet to be announced, but the group's performance coincides with the release of its highly anticipated new album, "No Line on the Horizon," which hits stores Tuesday March 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom