PLEBA Misc U2 News and Articles #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Depressing, mostly negative article. Still has some interesting tidbits here and there, though.

All That They Can’t Leave Behind

It seems like what they're mostly trying to say is that U2 are power-hungry hypocrites and that Bono and Larry don't get along.

I was so upset about that article yesterday that I deleted it out of my mailbox.

The guy seems to have a personal issue with U2, Bono in particular. And he's also hating the new album, therefore everything about the current show except the old songs is crap.

I can live with that, but what I really don't like about the article at all is that he tries to bring out Larry and Bono against each other in a really mean way. The portrait he's painting of Bono here makes me wonder what B has done to him personally. The way he's trying to exaggerate the conflicts between Bono and Larry is making me really uncomfortable. He says the conflicts within the band will lead to its "collaps".

Man, I don't think he knows much what's going on inside this band. Sounds like somone who was part of their circle for some time and is disgruntled now because he is no longer.

Btw, the article is from mid July. Don't know why €u2 suddenly decides to send that one around. It's old. And bad writing, too. The guy is always jumping around from early 80s to the U2 show in Paris this year.

the guy obviously has a problem... :|

I don't mind reading something negative about U2. not everyone has to like them.
but calling Bono's charm "cold calculation" is out of line. Bono IS charming, he has a way with people. since when is it something bad???

oh, and that "conflict" with Larry... please...
I know that Larry and Bono are very different, but I have a feeling they can deal with each other just fine. didn't Larry once say that Bono was the only person he could actually forgive anything?

And Bono says Larry is one of his best mates, so no problem.

From atu2

U2'S Rock Hall performance on DVD
Posted: August 31, 2009
By: m2

Can't make it to the big Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25th anniversary
concerts in New York later this year? Really wish you could bring the
HOF into your living room? There's a new, 9-DVD set that may be
exactly what you're looking for ... and U2 appears on at least two of
the DVDs.

It's called Rock and Roll Hall of Fame LIVE, and the set features
highlights from the Hall's induction ceremonies over the past 24
years. Two of U2's performances from their 2005 induction are included:

* U2: "Pride (In The Name Of Love)"
* U2 with Bruce Springsteen: "I Still Haven’t Found What I’m
Looking For"

And there's a good chance that other U2 appearances (performing,
inducting other honorees) are included, too. The 9-DVD set is gonna
set you back about $120, so hopefully you're interested in more than
just a couple U2 songs. :)

You can get more info at http://www.rockhalldvds.com, and we thank
U2tour.de for the tip.

I was so upset about that article yesterday that I deleted it out of my mailbox.

The guy seems to have a personal issue with U2, Bono in particular. And he's also hating the new album, therefore everything about the current show except the old songs is crap.

I can live with that, but what I really don't like about the article at all is that he tries to bring out Larry and Bono against each other in a really mean way. The portrait he's painting of Bono here makes me wonder what B has done to him personally. The way he's trying to exaggerate the conflicts between Bono and Larry is making me really uncomfortable. He says the conflicts within the band will lead to its "collaps".

Man, I don't think he knows much what's going on inside this band. Sounds like somone who was part of their circle for some time and is disgruntled now because he is no longer.

I agree. There's a lot of bitterness showing through on the part of the writer. I don't think there's any danger of the band collapsing; they're always saying how much they love each other and how much fun they're having.

Paul McG said in an interview not long ago that Bono and Larry are like brothers and they fight like brothers sometimes. I take that to mean that they have spats, but they get over it and still love each other.

I hate how the writer turns Larry into Bono's victim here. I agree that the band members love and respect each other. Of course there are conflicts, disagreements, maybe sometimes fights, but that's part of every relationship. And I don't think you can take what Bono says 100% serious, he's known for a kind of humour that may sometimes be a little hard to understand for outsiders, but I'm sure Larry and the rest of the band can deal with it. Larry is certainly not the poor victim when it comes to conflicts, I'm sure he's more than capable of handling it.

Adam needs a woman! Form an orferly queue girls! Oh ok just stampede now :lol:

U2's Adam Clayton is looking for love | Entertainment in Ireland and Around the World | IrishCentral

Hey girls! U2 star Adam Clayton is looking for a loving relationship.
Clayton - who nearly married supermodel Naomi Campbell some time back - says he's fed up being a bachelor.

The U2 bassist says, "I've never necessarily chosen to be a bachelor. I've had girlfriends throughout the past 20 or 30 years.
"It's just that there were times when I met people who fascinated me and times I didn't. In a loving relationship, as an expression of freedom and fantasy, I think sex is very important."

Clayton, who stopped drinking in 1997, said he's also had enough of the rock star crazy lifestyle.

"I stopped drinking 12 years ago, and it was time. I'd had enough of drinking, drugging and nightclubs. It was a difficult decision to change my life, and it took a while to re-programme, but I've no regrets at all. I've enjoyed every bit of my life. I've had the best of it both ways."

And - to prove he's really an Irish boy at heart - he confessed that the one thing he always makes sure he has on tour is Barry's tea.
"I know it sounds crazy, but if you don't travel with your own tea, it never tastes the same."

NME
September 01, 2009

By Barry Nicolson

Live Review: U2
Hampden Park, Glasgow, Tuesday, August 18

In more ways than one, going to see U2 is a lot like going on a rollercoaster. Before you crucify us for lazily resorting to journalistic cliché, however, we should state that we're not talking thrills and simple, giddy nausea here. We're talking, first of all, about the waiting. The endless, anticipatory, gridlocked hours of it. Then comes the "oooohing" and "aaaahing" as the bells, whistles and general whizz bang-ery comes into view; this time in the form of a giant, four-pronged crab-like contraption in the centre of the stadium. After that, there's the pulse-quickening realisation that said waiting is almost at an end. And finally, there are a series of peaks, troughs, swerves and swivels that leave you wondering if it was all really worthwhile.

To cut to the chase -- it is. Eventually.

U2 are as grand a live spectacle as you're ever likely to see, but the first third of tonight's set frustratingly focuses on their rather pedestrian new album. So you have an anti-climactic opener in the shape of "Breathe," followed by the staid "No Line on the Horizon" and then "Get On Your Boots," which sounds a bit like your dad urging you onto the dancefloor at your grandfolks' silver jubilee. Brandon Flowers often makes a lot of noise about wanting to sound like U2 but, as they slide into middle age, you realise that, more and more, it's actually U2 who are desperate to sound like The Killers. And frankly, they're not so hot at it.

Still, things pick up immeasurably when "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" shimmers into earshot and reminds you of the power they can summon at the press of a guitar pedal, while a dirty, distorted "Elevation" veers as close to punk rock as they probably allow themselves to get.

An acoustic rendition of "Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out Of" is another nice touch. Bono's messianic tendencies take a welcome backseat to the music too, save for a mid-set dedication of "Walk On" to Burmese political prisoner Aung San Suu Kyi which is rather cruelly -- or comically, depending on your point of view -- neutered by the PA cutting out for half of it.

In terms of the setlist, there are a few regrettable omissions -- how the tepid "City of Blinding Lights" can warrant inclusion when "The Fly" doesn't is a source of supreme bafflement -- but nothing that leaves you feeling short-changed. You do wonder if their faith in their post-'90s output is misplaced, though. For our money, U2 are at their best when they're at their loudest and brashest -- as a riotous "Vertigo" daftly and deftly demonstrates -- as opposed to overwrought and unbearably worthy (closing with "Moment of Surrender"? Whose idea was that?).

By the time "One" comes around, though, even the most cynical of observers (ie us) are swept up. You can't not be. Sure, every song utilizes the same sturdy psuedo-Christian metaphors -- there's much lifting, carrying and general peaceable co-existence -- and their gonzoid stadium-art albums (Achtung Baby, Pop) are disappointingly overlooked, but why argue with 50-something thousand people singing "Sunday Bloody Sunday" or "With or Without You"? Ultimately, U2 are just too good at these sorts of gigs for you to leave totally unmoved or at least a tiny bit impressed, even if it goes against one's better critical faculties. They can thrill, they can bore, they can make you cloyingly sick with sentiment, but, at the end of the day, the ride remains just about worth it.

Adam needs a woman! Form an orferly queue girls! Oh ok just stampede now :lol:

U2's Adam Clayton is looking for love | Entertainment in Ireland and Around the World | IrishCentral

Hey girls! U2 star Adam Clayton is looking for a loving relationship.
Clayton - who nearly married supermodel Naomi Campbell some time back - says he's fed up being a bachelor.

The U2 bassist says, "I've never necessarily chosen to be a bachelor. I've had girlfriends throughout the past 20 or 30 years.
"It's just that there were times when I met people who fascinated me and times I didn't. In a loving relationship, as an expression of freedom and fantasy, I think sex is very important."

Clayton, who stopped drinking in 1997, said he's also had enough of the rock star crazy lifestyle.

"I stopped drinking 12 years ago, and it was time. I'd had enough of drinking, drugging and nightclubs. It was a difficult decision to change my life, and it took a while to re-programme, but I've no regrets at all. I've enjoyed every bit of my life. I've had the best of it both ways."

And - to prove he's really an Irish boy at heart - he confessed that the one thing he always makes sure he has on tour is Barry's tea.
"I know it sounds crazy, but if you don't travel with your own tea, it never tastes the same."

That are just recycling that last interview Adam did (Last month I think)

The Edge is like a wise owl. You know how with some people, when you
look in their eyes, there's a real warmth on their face. The Edge is
like that. He's just standing there, with this really cute smile. He
seems like a really warm guy. "

i know right! :) :drool: his eyes

Thanks Bono Mot for the heads up on this one

bonoantonmovie.png

Bono Featured in new Anton Corbijn Documentary - @U2 Blog

Bono, Michael Stipe, Chris Martin, Dave Gahan (of Depeche Mode) and Brandon Flowers, are just some of the people featured in a new documentary film by Anton Corbijn.

The film is called
Shadow Play: The Making of Anton Corbijn
and tells “the story of the ultimate insider who now finds himself outside the Hollywood system and far enough away from the dizzying orbits of fame to make things a little uncomfortable… and very interesting.”

trailer is expected to be available online soon.

The film is currently showing in Australia, but it is expected to have a wider release in the near future.

More details on the film here.

I sent in a request for tickets about a month ago and haven't gotten an email yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom