Outside It's America Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zuropa_fit

Blue Crack Addict
I have a silly question but I figured if anyone knows the answer, it's one of you fine PLEBAns.

In Outside it's America, the band goes to Gila Bend and plays pool in a bar. Anyone know a)if the bar is still there? and b)what the name of it is? and c)how far it is off the freeway exit?

We stop for gas in Gila Bend almost every year and this year I thought it might be fun to hunt around for the bar but my family might not be all that patient so I thought I'd do my 'research' first.

As far as I know, the bar is still there. I knew the name, but of course now I can't remember :doh: I'm going to see if I can find where I saw the name.

There is a place called 'Neto's Pastime Bar' just off the main street (Pima). I'm thinking that's gotta be it, because it's a tiny town and the only bar I can see that is there. It's very very close to the train tracks, where they were wandering around in the tape, so I think it's highly likely that's the place. It's just off the exit from I-8, which I'm assuming is where you'd be coming from.
MapQuest: Driving Directions: North America
That ^ should take you to a map of the area
I did a lot of reseach and mapping of all the places in that documentary :reject: I was planning a road trip for this summer and had a list of all the places (because I'm crazy like that) but my dreams were destroyed by low funds and my friends bailing on me:sad:
Oh well, I hope that was a bit helpful, good luck!

Thanks! Much appreciated! We were going to stay at the Harmony Motel last year but it's really far out of the way and we always drive out I-8 instead of I-10. Someday.

So, I called Neto's today...yeah. I have fun 'researching' this stuff! I asked the man who answered how long the establishment had been there-he said 'the building or Neto's??' :lol: And I answered 'Neto's' and he said about four or five years...so that wasn't the one :angry: So I guess it was either the Owl Bar as JG said, or something that used to be where Neto's was?

Ok, I rewatched the video. At the end 27:23 when they leave the bar, you see across the street SHELBYS PASTIME BAR. (Now called NETOS PASTTIME BAR, Shelby was the old owner of the bar.) So it is THE OWL BAR!

I called too and spoke to Victoria. She said the only other bar in town that is now closed was the OWL BAR and they were across the street form them. All makes sense now. :hyper:

Wait, I'm confused. The one in the movie, that they go to is Shelby's and it's now called Neto's but it's closed? Or the one in the movie is The Owl Bar and that's closed? Either way, you're telling me that the bar in the movie is closed, right?

Sorry I'm being totally dense about this. :reject:

I went to that location in 1999 and thought it was a great, one of those ridiculously long freight trains went over the crossing as well. Not sure how the band ended up in Gila Bend though, it's not exactly between Tempe and Tucson? Haven't seen the documentary in a while, maybe they were just out there for photoshoots.

I went to that location in 1999 and thought it was a great, one of those ridiculously long freight trains went over the crossing as well. Not sure how the band ended up in Gila Bend though, it's not exactly between Tempe and Tucson? Haven't seen the documentary in a while, maybe they were just out there for photoshoots.

It's on the road between Tempe and LA. The band didn't come to Tucson.

It's on the road between Tempe and LA. The band didn't come to Tucson.

I mentioned Tucson as it's obviously the band's next known location after Tempe. So yeah, they either stopped by Gila Bend on the way from LA, before Tempe, or they went out that way for photo sessions at some unspecified point etc.

As technology has moved on since this thread was last updated, here's the the bar on street view - https://goo.gl/maps/pe5G6M7mPfoeCBHbA

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom