Music Industry Trusts' Awards 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onekea

Refugee
LONDON - NOVEMBER 03:Bono attends the Music Industry Trusts' Awards 2008, at the Grosvenor House Hotel on November 3, 2008 in London, England. (Photo by Dave M. Benett/Getty Images)

03112008-6.jpg

Thank you so much onekea! I was unable to find any pictures this morning.

SO GOOD to see the four guys together again.

Bono in his jeans and boots :drool:

Yeah, it is nice to see the guys together! :applaud: Bono's outfit is tasteful and youthful. They all look great! God, it's going to be good to hear the new stuff!

(Good morning...it's after 2 am, and it is a good way to start the day!)

damn, U2 is looking goooooood....everyone is! Shiiiit we need a tour now...we need a new album, we need new U2 to take the world by surprise...

is there any video of this? and did Bono sing at all? he has a mic....:hmm:

From @u2.com:

U2 Honors Grainge at MITs

Billboard, November 03, 2008

Andrew Paine

U2 was among the artists saluting Universal Music Group International chairman/CEO Lucian Grainge at the Music Industry Trust's Award ceremony at London’s Grosvenor House Hotel.

Universal-signed pop acts Mika and Take That performed at the ceremony tonight (Nov. 3), along with jazz-pop singer Jamie Cullum and indie-rock band Razorlight, which released its new album Slipway Fires (Vertigo/Mercury) today. Artists among the 1,200 guests included Girls Aloud, Sugababes, The Fratellis, The Feeling, Snow Patrol, members of ABBA, Ray Davies, Lulu and James Morrison.

The MIT award was presented to the Universal boss by all four members of U2. UMG chairman/CEO Doug Morris was also present.

Bono joked about U2's failure to release a new album this year, commenting that Grainge provides "cuddles" for the band "when we get stressed out and we haven't got the hits and we missed Christmas."

Tributes on film were made by personalities from the world of business and musicians including Mariah Carey, the Pussycat Dolls, Michael Winner, Elton John, Bob Geldof, U2 manager Paul McGuinness and Girls Aloud.

In his acceptance speech Lucian Grainge said: "This recognition is an honor, and I'm delighted to be able to share it with the many artists, colleagues and friends who have been at the center of my professional and personal life for the past 30 years. I'm proud that music is the only industry I have ever worked in. Music has given me opportunity and fulfillment beyond measure, and I'm grateful for that."

Grainge also talked about his career in A&R at MCA Records in the 1980s, adding that "I was a talent scout then, and I'm a talent scout now."

Previous winners of the award include Sir George Martin, Harvey Goldsmith and the late Ahmet Ertegun, and artists and musicians including Sir Elton John and Bernie Taupin, Kylie Minogue and Peter Gabriel.

Grainge is marking his thirtieth anniversary in the music industry, having worked with artists including Eurythmics, U2, Sir Elton John, Take That, Metallica, Snow Patrol, Amy Winehouse, Mika and Duffy, the biggest U.K. debut artist this year.

Grainge has also been invited by culture secretary Andy Burnham to take part in the "Creative Britain" conference next October, acting as an ambassador for British talent.

Nordoff-Robbins Music Therapy and the BRIT School, the two charities that are supported by the annual Music Industry Trusts' Award, received a record-breaking £568,593 ($897,577) from this year's event. It was sponsored by mobile manufacturer Nokia, London-based media investment firm Ingenious Media and U.K. collecting societies PPL and PRS.

© Nielsen Business Media, Inc., 2008.

From @u2.com:

U2 Honors Grainge at MITs

Billboard, November 03, 2008

Andrew Paine

U2 was among the artists saluting Universal Music Group International chairman/CEO Lucian Grainge at the Music Industry Trust's Award ceremony at London’s Grosvenor House Hotel.

Universal-signed pop acts Mika and Take That performed at the ceremony tonight (Nov. 3), along with jazz-pop singer Jamie Cullum and indie-rock band Razorlight, which released its new album Slipway Fires (Vertigo/Mercury) today. Artists among the 1,200 guests included Girls Aloud, Sugababes, The Fratellis, The Feeling, Snow Patrol, members of ABBA, Ray Davies, Lulu and James Morrison.

The MIT award was presented to the Universal boss by all four members of U2. UMG chairman/CEO Doug Morris was also present.

Bono joked about U2's failure to release a new album this year, commenting that Grainge provides "cuddles" for the band "when we get stressed out and we haven't got the hits and we missed Christmas."

Tributes on film were made by personalities from the world of business and musicians including Mariah Carey, the Pussycat Dolls, Michael Winner, Elton John, Bob Geldof, U2 manager Paul McGuinness and Girls Aloud.

In his acceptance speech Lucian Grainge said: "This recognition is an honor, and I'm delighted to be able to share it with the many artists, colleagues and friends who have been at the center of my professional and personal life for the past 30 years. I'm proud that music is the only industry I have ever worked in. Music has given me opportunity and fulfillment beyond measure, and I'm grateful for that."

Grainge also talked about his career in A&R at MCA Records in the 1980s, adding that "I was a talent scout then, and I'm a talent scout now."

Previous winners of the award include Sir George Martin, Harvey Goldsmith and the late Ahmet Ertegun, and artists and musicians including Sir Elton John and Bernie Taupin, Kylie Minogue and Peter Gabriel.

Grainge is marking his thirtieth anniversary in the music industry, having worked with artists including Eurythmics, U2, Sir Elton John, Take That, Metallica, Snow Patrol, Amy Winehouse, Mika and Duffy, the biggest U.K. debut artist this year.

Grainge has also been invited by culture secretary Andy Burnham to take part in the "Creative Britain" conference next October, acting as an ambassador for British talent.

Nordoff-Robbins Music Therapy and the BRIT School, the two charities that are supported by the annual Music Industry Trusts' Award, received a record-breaking £568,593 ($897,577) from this year's event. It was sponsored by mobile manufacturer Nokia, London-based media investment firm Ingenious Media and U.K. collecting societies PPL and PRS.

© Nielsen Business Media, Inc., 2008.

Thanks, they seem to be in a good mood and look great!

LONDON - NOVEMBER 03:Bono attends the Music Industry Trusts' Awards 2008, at the Grosvenor House Hotel on November 3, 2008 in London, England. (Photo by Dave M. Benett/Getty Images)

03112008-6.jpg

Absolutely beautiful picture of Bono....although those pics of Larry look quite good. :up:

Thanks for posting these pics - I also hope that U2 decides on this more natural look for the upcoming tour. :hyper:

www.mpwn-uganda.org:love:

Record mogul tastes award glory

Pop stars including U2 and Take That have given their boss - music executive Lucian Grainge - a taste of rock glory by honouring him with a top award.
Mr Grainge, head of Universal Music Group International, was praised by his artists as he collected the Music Industry Trust Award in London.
U2 presented the accolade, while Take That, Mika, Razorlight, Jamie Cullum ad Sugababes performed in his honour.
U2's lead singer Bono described Mr Grainge as a "great" label boss.
"He's great because he's ready to take on the world for British music, and Irish music for that matter," Bono said.

'Tender soul'
"He's a tough guy when it comes to deals but he's a very tender soul to deal with if you're U2."
Mr Grainge let the band "be ourselves", and would "never try to interfere with us, never try to step on our toes", Bono added.. I'm pleased that tonight I can be the front for the industry and our company and our artists as well
Lucian Grainge
Mr Grainge, whose roster also includes Amy Winehouse, Duffy and Sir Elton John, has helped make Universal the UK's most successful record company.
"It's inevitably very flattering and I'm pleased that tonight I can be the front for the industry and our company and our artists as well," he said.
Abba's Benny Andersoon and Bjorn Ulvaeus, Girls Aloud and Snow Patrol were also at the ceremony, while Mariah Carey, Lionel Richie and The Pussycat Dolls sent video messages.
As well as honouring Mr Grainge, the night raised more than £568,000 money for two charities, the Brit performing arts school and Nordoff-Robbins Music Therapy.
Part of that came from an auction, which saw some of the biggest names entering into bidding wars.
Abba's Benny and Bjorn took on Snow Patrol in a battle to buy a signed lithograph of the cover of U2's Boy album.
The Swedish pop stars came out on top, forking out £40,000 for the poster.
Bono paid £21,000 for a box at Arsenal Football Club's Emirates Stadium, while bandmate The Edge stumped up £15,000 for singer Jarvis Cocker's puppet from TV satire Spitting Image.
A Gretsch guitar made for and signed by Bono was sold for £150,000 to businessman Sir Philip Green, who also paid £6,000 for the chance to meet Lionel Richie and have a private rendition of his hit Hello.
The Music Industry Trust Award went to Kylie Minogue last year, and previous recipients have included Beatles producer Sir George Martin, promoter Harvey Goldsmith and Sir Elton John.

BBC News

Back
Top Bottom