Mother Jones - Bono Bites Back - May 1989

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember reading this interview on the internet back in November 2004. How do I go back so I can have these fun times again?

Where did he say that U2 were the best band in the 80's? I printed off this interview and I certainly don't remember seeing such as thing. He never said those words that's just what the journalist said at the introduction of the article.I think it's communist who dislike Bono and u2 because they are popular and they make lots of money. The left-wing publication The Radio Times hates Bono and Alan Sugar for the same reason. They are rich!

What's wrong with being earnest? Is it because people prefer music more akin to a fast food formula without any meaning?

As usual I'm too late for some great posts. I read this article first today and had to check if there was something about it here. I love it when interviewers are sharp without being obnoxious, just observant enough to keep the interview-object on edge.
Bono spells it out about the drug use, if he had given a "yes" that left no doubt, there could be a feeble mind thinking "Oh, it didn't harm Bono, so it won't harm me then." Something like that. It's great when Bono is forced to be more direct with his answers, he does tend to sneak away a little sometimes I think.

Yeah she was a good interviewer wasn't she? And yes I've noticed too how Bono can avoid asking questions. My point: the book Bono in Conversation with Misya Ayyas (or whatever his name was)

Yeah she was a good interviewer wasn't she? And yes I've noticed too how Bono can avoid asking questions. My point: the book Bono in Conversation with Misya Ayyas (or whatever his name was)

I just started to read "Bono in Conversation with Michka Assayas."
He's a bit sneaky sometimes, makes me think of a politician :D
Michka do push, I can't help getting this feeling of "I'm gonna get this guy" when reading some of Michka's questions. I'm just at the first chapters but I wish Michka could've saved his nagging for the more important issues, he pushed for elaborated answers on some very trivial bits.
My impression is that Bono is very patient in these chapters and shows a different mood compared to the Mother Jones interview. I hope some similar questions will come up just to see if he's gotten any wiser.

But i don't mind Bono in the Mother Jones interview. What's wrong with it? I found it revealing

I like the interview myself and I can understand Bono's mood at the time, as others here have said it's an interesting read when having the zoo tv era in mind.
Being taken away from a drug addicted and alcoholic family Bono's sentiment towards drugs was a bit shocking to me. It's the bit where he says that if he ever became addicted he could afford the trappings, he could afford getting out of it, sadly it's not that simple. :|

I watched Rattle & Hum without having any idea of all the criticism it got and I was a fresh U2 fan not aware of the claims that Bono has a Messiah complex. I couldn't see anything of that in the film (but of course I wasn't looking for any clues). When I read about what people found wrong with R&H and watched Todd in the Shadow's "Most annoying moments" list, I though "Really, that are the reasons for complaints??!" :doh: I think the word "disappointment" as Bono described the criticism is fitting.

I'm late to the party, but thanks for posting :wave: I'm currently reading.

Larry MULLINS made me laugh :giggle:

Back
Top Bottom