MOOBday - Stick to your guns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like from the Werchter "October" era summer festivals dates... One of the last shows that Larry used the Tama FiberStar drums.

1981-1982-Tama-Fibre_Star-October_t.jpg

War Era Lawrence and his Yamaha Recording Custom kit. Notice, whilst the drums are made to have top and bottom heads, Larry's had the bottom heads cut out of the rack tom, making it similar to his single headed tom Tama kits froim October and Boy tours... You can see a mic pushed under the drum and into the shell a bit... He did this to his drums through the JT tour:

Yamaha-9000-Recording_Series-Denver.jpg

Unforgettable Fire tour era Larry. Yamaha Recording Series drum kit with Latin Percussion "Tito Puente" model timbales (us for the drum pattern on "A Sort of Homecoming"). This photo was originally in Larry's ONE and ONLY feature in Modern Drummer magazine.

It was right around the time of The Unforgettable Fire that Larry changed from Calato 5A drum sticks to Promark 5A's.

Yamaha-9000-Recording_Series-1984-1.jpg

Larry having what appears to be a "Something About Mary" moment, playing his Yamaha Turbo Tour drum kit during the Love Town tour. 1989-1990.

(Turbo Tour kit was used on the Joshua Tree and Love Town tours - And the sticks? Promark 5A's)

TurboTourCustom-LoveTown-1989-1.jpg

Larry having what appears to be a "Something About Mary" moment, playing his Yamaha Turbo Tour drum kit during the Love Town tour. 1989-1990.

(Turbo Tour kit was used on the Joshua Tree and Love Town tours - And the sticks? Promark 5A's)

TurboTourCustom-LoveTown-1989-1.jpg

It's Bono standing behind him... optical illusion. Larry's never been known for wearing a headband, even during Love Town! :giggle:

1992-1993 was more slinging of the Promark 5A drum sticks. This time using Yamaha Maple Custom drums and Paiste Signature series cymbals.

1992-ZooTVTour-Indoor_1992-03-26-Cl.jpg

1992-ZooTVTour-OutsideBroadcast_199.jpg

11b9531d.jpg

What looks to be a 'loaner' kit for the "The Fly" video. I'm not 100% sure of the make and model of this one...
ZoobabyLarrydroomsAdamsmoke.jpg

POPMART! I love the main stage kit. Promark 5A drum sticks still used. Yamaha Maple Custom drums still the drums of choice but with each drum a different sparkle finish. (Rack tom in red, bass drum in gold, two floior toms in blue/silver sparkle fade...)

30th-Anniv-Maple-Cstm-lg.jpg

Here's one of the coolest shots of Larry from the 2004-2006 era... This one from the Brookjlyn Bridge show.

Sticks: Promark 5A
Drums (Except the snare drum): Yamaha Absolute Beech Custom
Snare Drum: 14" x 8" Sheoak Block Snare

Vertigo_larry_batera.jpg

IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/GracelandHarley/Pop_studio_lar_3.jpg[/IMG]

This white marine pearl finish kit appears to be a Slingerland. (I need to confirm that). It can be seen in the Achtung Baby booklet and digipack.

It seems that Larry used that kit a lot in the studio for Achtung Baby, perhaps Zooropa... I've seen it in Pop session photos and ATYCLB photos too.

I've not seen it since. It could have been one of the victims of the HQ flood in January 2002. This might be why Larry was using the black oyster finish Ludwig kit during the NLOTH sessions - for use of a smaller vintage kit.

larry0257.jpg

larry0293.jpg

larry0292.jpg

All three of the above pics are Elevation era photos.

Sticks: Promark 5A
Drums: Yamaha Beech Custom (not to be confused w/Absolute Beech Custom kit used for "Vertigo tour)
Cymbals: Paiste Signature Series.

larry0287.jpg

larry0288.jpg

That there is a Yamaha "Steve Jordan model" Cocktail Drum.

You can get them with a small snare drum and small cymbal attached and a bass drum pedal that strikes the cocktail drum from below. Hence, being a small compact drum kit for lounge acts at cocktail bars (Hence the name)

larry0287.jpg

larry0288.jpg

That there is a Yamaha "Steve Jordan model" Cocktail Drum.

You can get them with a small snare drum and small cymbal attached and a bass drum pedal that strikes the cocktail drum from below. Hence, being a small compact drum kit for lounge acts at cocktail bars (Hence the name)

Very cool pics, Edge_O.... thanks for the equip details! :up:

Back
Top Bottom