McGuinness w/Unforgettable Fire (tribute) at NY charity event last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
So here's a fun U2 moment... I got a call last night from my friend Mick, who is the guitar player in 'The Unforgettable Fire' (tribute) out of NY.

He calls and told me that they were about to go on stage for a charity even in NY for the Irish American Fund. He had to cut the call short as it was time to go on stage.

They get out there to play and who is in the front row? PAUL McGUINNESS! How cool is that?

After the show Paul invited the band over to his table and talked with them. He said that Paul spent a lot of time with them and asked them questions and took pics with them. He said that Paul was very nice, had nice things to say about their tribute and even jokingly said that they were "the Tina Fey to U2's Sara Palin" (ie: Great mimic). Classic.

Congrats to Mick and The Unforgettable Fire. Cool news. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys.

9qaeqc.jpg

2u5stgi.jpg

So if you're in the NY area... I think they play in NJ and PA too... go see The Unforgettable Fire. Great band. Nice folks. Good time to be had.

Wow. That is a great story. I'm thinking of going to the March 19th show at BB King's.

I might be being biased here but I think that UF is almost as close to U2 in sound as a tribute band could possibly be....they were also one of the first U2 tribute bands around...at least that I can remember

I might be being biased here but I think that UF is almost as close to U2 in sound as a tribute band could possibly be....they were also one of the first U2 tribute bands around...at least that I can remember

There are some great U2 tribute bands out there. And 'The Unforgettable Fire' are definitely one of them.

'Elevation' (Canada) are quite good. And 'The Joshua Tree' (Los Angeles) are fantastic too.

I've heard that UF are pretty good too, and I probs should go see em sometime; but theres this tribute band called Lemon and they are definitely the closest anyone has come to the real thing i think. it's really amazing actually because of all places, i think think they are from Chile. the occasional accent does peak through sometimes, but i swear he's like Bono's vocal clone er something if that makes any sense? Check em out:

Heartland:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

A Sort of Homecoming:

Electrical Storm:

Ground Beneath Her Feet (Full Band Cover :ohmy: ):

------->This is a must see cover of Acrobat :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: probs the closest thing we'll ever come to hearing it live :sad: but the "edge" does a great job with this i think:

No problem :) :up: Oh and I really don't mean to hijack the thread or anything, it was just cause we were on the subject of cover bands and stuff, and i think this Lemon band is pretty legit

:hyper: UF2!! :D
Mick is such a great guy, I've been in contact with him a couple of times and also follow his uploads on YouTube - YouTube - mick3b1g's Channel
Too bad they weren't playing any gigs when I was in New York City, July 2008. I hope I get to see them live some other time though :drool:

I wonder what the setlist was. :hmm:
Thanks for sharing the news, E_O :up:

Edited to add:
A few older but cool official UF2 meets U2 pictures:
287782870_377c80afe3_o.jpg

287782858_a9d7655ee5_o.jpg

287783170_6d9b84841e_o.jpg

Hi
This reminds me of a funny story about a news article about Paul that had a photo of him with Tony (of the U2 tribute band) and the photo caption mis-identified Tony as Bono.

I sent this off to my friend Kellie because we're both editors so we enjoy finding stuff like this. She did some more digging around and summarized her findings on her blog:

Adventures in Google Images: Still haven’t found what I’m looking for — Kellie M. Walsh

Since this first happened, the article has been corrected to run with a photo of Paul with the real Bono.

Back
Top Bottom